7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

High Pitch Whining when AC is on

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:07 AM

High Pitch Whining when AC is on

So I looked around and saw a few old threads somewhat related to this but no real answer so I am curious if anyone here has heard this and fixed yet

I get a high pitched whine noise almost sounding like a slight microphone feedback only when I activate the AC button and actually driving, not sitting at idle. A few things I came up with test while driving are:

1. It can't be the blower fan itself being it doesn't happen if the heat is on or AC button is off
2. gets louder as I accelerate, uphill, etc..
3. never happens if I am stopped, rev engine, etc.... only when actually driving
4. once I turn the AC button off (shutting the ac compressor off I'm assuming) the noise stops
5. changing the speed of the blower up and down has no effect on the noise
6. does not happen often, maybe heard it for like 5 seconds 2-3 times on and hour drive this morning

I tried to get it on video with my phone but it doesn't happen often enough. I will keep trying though.

some from what I ready have said it could be the alternator, compressor, some belts and so on, I really don't want to replace everything if I can narrow it down to 1 area.

I have tried taking the fan blower out and spraying a little spray lube on the bearing just to rule that out but obviously didn't help

thanks guys!!
Old 07-27-2015, 01:14 PM

I have had this too but its my cvt im sure. See my other thread nitehawk down , im looking at a full cvt replacement. I had a whine with the ac on and that could be part of it (for me at least). At exactly 80mph i hear a whistling sound like a turbo too. Weird.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:24 PM

Whining usually coincides with the alternator, I mean it can be other parts but I'd start there. You can go to autozone or advance auto and they should be able to check it for you, for free
Old 07-28-2015, 05:07 AM

thanks for the info guys! I would think if it was the alternator of CVT issues the pitch would change based on acceleration, high and lower pitches and i give it power or let off.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:10 PM

so far my cabin filter was replaced (it was disgusting) and I pulled the blower and still her the noise when AC is on, Im thinking it may be the AC compressor and/or pulley on it being it only happens when the AC is kicked on
Old 08-02-2015, 06:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Whine

Is it a whine or a really high pitched (almost dog whistle like) squeal?

I have had the squeal in mine that drives me batty. I have narrowed it down to the AUTO A/C. When it needs to blow colder air, I get the high pitched squeal. It does not do it if in manual A/C mode or when the heat is on.

I wish I could describe it, it is seriously like a dog whistle, really quiet but noticeable.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:38 AM

Exactly! high pitch dog whistle

mine happens when the AC is on whether its auto or manual, the minute i activate the AC compressor the noise comes and goes, if I leave AC off (Compressor off), I never hear it