7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Rear Wheel Hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 06:23 AM

Rear Wheel Hub

In the process of changing out my rear brakes, I checked the bearing and I can feel that it's a little gritty when I turn it. I decided to replace the hub while I have it apart. I have an 09 with 145k miles.

I went with SFK bearings that I picked up from NAPA. The interesting part of it is that they had bearing made both in the US and in China. I had them side by side and there was a noticeable difference in the quality. The US one looks exactly like the original one and has the same stamps and everything.

The chinese one felt different, didnt have the same foot print and just appeared to be less quality.

Just throwing this out there as an FYI.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 AM

just to clarify, were both bearings the same part number?
Old 11-03-2016, 12:36 PM

it also could be a update, part evolve and then are made differently and supposed to be better
Old 11-03-2016, 12:57 PM

there is only one reason parts are made in china, and better is not it.
CHEAPER
Old 11-04-2016, 08:25 AM

It was all the same part number and the box was identical (between the USA and China hubs).

Maybe old stock vs new? But when I was asking the guy, he said they come from all over. He has seen European countries, Asian, and the US.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 AM

thanks for update. I hate when I have to play parts lottery.
I recently bought an refurb Alternator for a Honda Pilot from Advance Auto.
First one was made in China, and did not fit at all. Second one was made in Mexico and had incorrect attachment lug. I had to swap parts between them to make one that would work for me! Very sad.

I have always bought SKF and Timken bearings expecting OE quality. It seems that has changed now.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by maxud

I have always bought SKF and Timken bearings expecting OE quality. It seems that has changed now.
Exactly...I avoided Timken because many people online noted they were outsourced.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by NCSUpilot
Exactly...I avoided Timken because many people online noted they were outsourced.
In my personal experience, Timken typically included one of the top tier brands, and I have not gotten Chinese junk in Timken box yet.