7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

***SMASH***

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 PM

***SMASH***

So I'm leaving the Dr.'s Office today and I stop to let a car back out and a sweet old lady backs into me. I even saw it coming. I laid on the horn for at least 5 seconds. She hesitated then kept backing. I am an excellent driver, but was so in shock that I didn't stick it in reverse and back up.... Still her fault. Some insurance co monitor forums, but it was deff her fault and I have a witness.

Dent in the front bumper and a notch out of the front drivers side BRAND NEW WHEEL!!!! Repair shop said they will probably repair the bumper, but get me a new wheel and tire. Opinions on how to get the bumper replaced or am I screwed??
Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 PM

That sucks. Ever accident I have been involved in, has been with a person over 80. ...Including one for me that was near fatal.

I am a strong supporter of more intense driver testing of the elderly, but now in Virginia, they no longer allow you to renew your license at the local office. It is either to be online or via phone.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 PM

wow look at that.. is that a sunbird or gran am? looking at the wheels i believe its the gran am
Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 PM

1990 Pontiac Sunbird.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
That sucks. Ever accident I have been involved in, has been with a person over 80. ...Including one for me that was near fatal.

I am a strong supporter of more intense driver testing of the elderly, but now in Virginia, they no longer allow you to renew your license at the local office. It is either to be online or via phone.
That is like saying all Italians need more intensive testing because every accident I've had was in Italy! That isn't the issue. I believe you are more on point infering we are now using our licenses for ID rather than to certify some form of proficiency in the operation of our vehicles. I too am in favor of at least some of the more rudimentary "checks" (e.g. eye tests, basic motor skills and/or basic mental competency!!) no matter the age. True, I do admit I like the "convenience" of online/phone renewals and it certainly lowers the total admin costs associated with the process, but I think I would feel a bit better if everyone was at least "seen" by someone every decade or so!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
That is like saying all Italians need more intensive testing because every accident I've had was in Italy! That isn't the issue. I believe you are more on point infering we are now using our licenses for ID rather than to certify some form of proficiency in the operation of our vehicles. I too am in favor of at least some of the more rudimentary "checks" (e.g. eye tests, basic motor skills and/or basic mental competency!!) no matter the age. True, I do admit I like the "convenience" of online/phone renewals and it certainly lowers the total admin costs associated with the process, but I think I would feel a bit better if everyone was at least "seen" by someone every decade or so!
I agree, but the elderly ARE more likely to be involved in an accident due to reason's listed above, but I know statistics probably say teenagers are the worst. They are b/c of stupidity not medical issues. Mine was that she could not hear my horn. Even when we were exchanging insurance info I..yes I had to talk to her insurance company b/c she could not HEAR the lady on the phone. The worst part was after she hit me she pulled back forward...waited a second or two (at this time I thought she had pulled forward and put the truck in park, so I had exited the car) NOPE here come the reverse light AGAIN. I jumped in my car this time and was able to reverse and get out of the way. I then jumped out of the car and walked up to her window. She rolled it down and I asked her "did you not hear my horn that I had blowing for 5 seconds?" She said no and then I told her she had hit my car.

My 85 year old grandma turned left on a yielded green light 5 months ago and got t-boned by an SUV with small children in it. Every one was ok except my grandma. She is fine now, but SHE NO LONGER DRIVES A CAR!!!!!

Last edited by jboss10; 05-22-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:29 AM

You have got to be freaking kidding me. I feel so bad for you Jboss. And bad for your wheel. I loved those wheels!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 AM

I would posit that other than a sudden onset of a condition (e.g. heart attack, stroke, or amorous significant other) that accidents caused by elderly or teens are caused by stupidity. Age does not always begat knowledge or sense. Just like drinking...if I am drinking, I have a cab and a hotel handy...others just get stupid.

In the Ozarks, where I was born and raised, we had a saying that sometimes you need to hit the mule aside the head with a 2 X 4 to get its attention and then tell it what to do. Same with people...some will get the wake up call (like your dear grandmother) and others will not (like the ones with 20 DUIs.)

No, it is not the elderly, or teens...It is the terminally stupid who don't learn that is the the issue. Everyone can have an accident, but if you never learn from it you shouldn't be allowed to drive.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Age plays a part as it can slow your response time to a situation, but at the same time age makes you aware that you are not indestructible so it also places in situations where their is minimal risk(bingo,golf,etc). That is no way a joke but a fact as we will all be that old person (hopefully) some day. Has anyone here ever looked at parking lot columns and noticed how many different vehicle paint colors are on them. You think they just moved in someone’s way before they got hit.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
Age plays a part as it can slow your response time to a situation, but at the same time age makes you aware that you are not indestructible so it also places in situations where their is minimal risk(bingo,golf,etc). That is no way a joke but a fact as we will all be that old person (hopefully) some day. Has anyone here ever looked at parking lot columns and noticed how many different vehicle paint colors are on them. You think they just moved in someone’s way before they got hit.
I had a old women back out of a parking space right into my truck. My vehicle was in the driving lane with me in the seat. But she claimed that the accident was my fault because I parked the truck where she could hit it. It is true that older people can just lose it for no reason. Not bad judgment, no evil intent, just unawareness of their actions.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:20 PM

At least the damage wasn't too bad. I wasn't so lucky.

I was driving on a congested highway near my house a couple weeks ago. Traffic slowed down quickly, and the guy in the Ford Econoline behind me who wasn't paying attention PLOWED right into me back of my Max, probably doing about 50 miles an hour. All I heard was a tire screech and then the sound of my poor Max being ripped apart. I couldn't even drive it because my bumper was lodged behind the tire.

It's in the repair shop now getting fixed, but I hope the impact didn't damage any of the electronics (HDD, nav, etc.) or anything else.

His insurance is paying for my rental, which is a 2011 Camry SE. I miss my Max.

Last edited by joevtz90; 05-23-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Make sure the shop checks out the exhaust and suspension. It looks like you may some under carriage damage.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
You have got to be freaking kidding me. I feel so bad for you Jboss. And bad for your wheel. I loved those wheels!!!
Thanks Flip, The collision co said they were going to get me a new wheel and tire. I told them the tire was fine, but they said it could be a safety issue!!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Question: Will this show up on the "carfox") even though there was no police report??
Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jboss10
Question: Will this show up on the "carfox") even though there was no police report??
in some states yes because the insurance is paying for it to get fixed.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Man your car def. has some frame damage. I would not even take that car back fixed or not. The resale value for you is going to tank and with that kinda damage the car will never be the same.

Originally Posted by joevtz90
At least the damage wasn't too bad. I wasn't so lucky.

I was driving on a congested highway near my house a couple weeks ago. Traffic slowed down quickly, and the guy in the Ford Econoline behind me who wasn't paying attention PLOWED right into me back of my Max, probably doing about 50 miles an hour. All I heard was a tire screech and then the sound of my poor Max being ripped apart. I couldn't even drive it because my bumper was lodged behind the tire.

It's in the repair shop now getting fixed, but I hope the impact didn't damage any of the electronics (HDD, nav, etc.) or anything else.

His insurance is paying for my rental, which is a 2011 Camry SE. I miss my Max.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by jboss10
Thanks Flip, The collision co said they were going to get me a new wheel and tire. I told them the tire was fine, but they said it could be a safety issue!!
Never turn down a new anything after an accident
Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Man your car def. has some frame damage. I would not even take that car back fixed or not. The resale value for you is going to tank and with that kinda damage the car will never be the same.
I don't really have a choice of what to do. I can't just demand a new car. Plus its a lease. I took it to a body shop with a great reputation so let's hope for the best. Should be ready this Wed or Thurs.