7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Door Handle Removal

Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 AM

Question Door Handle Removal

Anybody know how to remove these bad boys?? Any input greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 AM

I'm guessing we're all in the dark on this one?!?!? lol
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernmostMAXX
I'm guessing we're all in the dark on this one?!?!? lol
Let me ask my roommate. He took them off of my old Max when it was totalled.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 AM

Awesome! I'll be waiting!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 PM

having them painted?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM

i deff wanna find out how to remove them also i wanted to maybe plasti dip them
Old 01-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Antny74
having them painted?
Ant- yea I think I'm gonna go ahead and paint those bad boys either the body color or a flat black.

@Blackmax- I have my door handles currently plasti-dipped, along with the rest of the chrome trim on my car. Removing the handles is not necessary, just tape off really nice around the handle and get some newspaper to avoid overspray on the body (which if some does get on, it comes right off no worries). Same applies to all the chrome trim minus the trunk, that had to be removed, and it was fairly simple; about 5 extra minutes. Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM

you can also buy the covers and paint them and put those on so that you don't have to mess around with the original door handles just in case u wanna sell it later
Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Llfe
you can also buy the covers and paint them and put those on so that you don't have to mess around with the original door handles just in case u wanna sell it later
where can you buy the cover? i tried searching for it
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kmoney
where can you buy the cover? i tried searching for it

i saw this item last year on ebay...i just did a search for it on ebay and nothing came up so i guess the seller sold it all?

i should have searched for it on ebay before i posted this...it was on ebay though

the closest was for a 08 maxima...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-10...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Llfe
i saw this item last year on ebay...i just did a search for it on ebay and nothing came up so i guess the seller sold it all?

i should have searched for it on ebay before i posted this...it was on ebay though

the closest was for a 08 maxima...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-10...Q5fAccessories
yea i got that last year too and the 08 doesnt fit the 09 so i returned it
Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Ant- yea I think I'm gonna go ahead and paint those bad boys either the body color or a flat black.

@Blackmax- I have my door handles currently plasti-dipped, along with the rest of the chrome trim on my car. Removing the handles is not necessary, just tape off really nice around the handle and get some newspaper to avoid overspray on the body (which if some does get on, it comes right off no worries). Same applies to all the chrome trim minus the trunk, that had to be removed, and it was fairly simple; about 5 extra minutes. Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns. Good luck!
please do body color, I had mine vinyl wrapped black for awhile and unless everything else on the car is matte black, it's just going to look like black plastic
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM

How difficult would it be to paint vs apply vinyl to the handles? Also any recommendations on the paint brand/type (sandpaper grit?) or vinyl brand/model for matte blacking out the chrome trim throughout the Max?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 AM

@Southern

Did you say you painted the fat chrome piece on the rear of the max which is above the license plate? Did you remove this piece to paint it? If so, how did you remove it.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 AM

im still not sure if i should just leave them chrome plasti dip them or vinyl cuz the car is a lease but i always do work to my leased cars and i was gonna do all the chrome on the car gun metal then have my stock 18 inch rims painted gun metal also cuz its gonna b hard trying to make the same black that is on the car for each piece of chrome but if anyone has done the vinyl or painted there door handles id love to see pics.. thanks guys
Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 AM

One option would be to wrap the stock rims in vinyl with the same material as well, seen this on youtube the other day. Now I'm not endorsing this as I don't know how long they would last but it's a fairly cheap option. This way you could use all the same vinyl for the chrome trim and wheels, could make a nice effect. I'm considering doing it but I imagine the install time with vinyl on our stock rims would make me a sad panda.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheCheeF
@Southern

Did you say you painted the fat chrome piece on the rear of the max which is above the license plate? Did you remove this piece to paint it? If so, how did you remove it.

Thanks
If i recall correctly from when i painted mine, just remove the lining from the trunk and you will see 2 bolts that hold it on.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheCheeF
@Southern

Thanks

All you have to do is remove the lining from the trunk, then you should come across 3 10mm bolts. Remove those and there should also be 2 orange inserts you have to remove (using a hammer lightly will easily remove them). Once you pop the chrome piece out, DO NOT PULL, you have to undo the harness for the trunk button. That's all there is to it, hope this helps!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by AIMRob
How difficult would it be to paint vs apply vinyl to the handles? Also any recommendations on the paint brand/type (sandpaper grit?) or vinyl brand/model for matte blacking out the chrome trim throughout the Max?

AIM- your best bet would be to go with Plasti-dip. It's probably the cheapest out of your options, is non-permanent (but very durable and can be if you take care of it). And best of all, only prep-work required is a nice, clean surface!! Another plus to it is that any overspray to the vehicle can be easily removed with a little elbow-grease. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM

i was gonna plati dip mine also i just went to home depot and picked up maddddd cans for all the chrome on da car and maybe the wheels any ideas on how i can go about either gettin da handles off or tappin them up to prevent asmuch over spill as i can
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMax11
i was gonna plati dip mine also i just went to home depot and picked up maddddd cans for all the chrome on da car and maybe the wheels any ideas on how i can go about either gettin da handles off or tappin them up to prevent asmuch over spill as i can
Sorry guys, I haven't been home much lately so i haven't seen my roommate to ask about the handle removal process. As soon as i'm actually at home when he's home i'll ask him and get it posted if it hasn't been already.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 AM

AIM- your best bet would be to go with Plasti-dip. It's probably the cheapest out of your options, is non-permanent (but very durable and can be if you take care of it). And best of all, only prep-work required is a nice, clean surface!! Another plus to it is that any overspray to the vehicle can be easily removed with a little elbow-grease. Good luck!
Ahh I bought the matte black vinyl the morning you posted this and applied it later that day... If I would've known about this before hand I would've gone with the plasti dip, never heard of it before but from the videos/pictures it looks nearly identical to the vinyl. I'm picking up two cans of the plasti dip to coat the rims though, we'll see how that turns out. Thing I'm debating now is to take the wheels off and coat them one by one, or spraying while on the max

Last edited by AIMRob; 02-03-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM

AIMROB!!!!!! Take them off the maxima!!!!! please please please dont spray while there on the car lift the car and do one by one you will get a better product spraying while the wheel is on will cause dripping and the plasti dip will bunch up.. after you do it Post pics please!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Anybody know how to remove these bad boys?? Any input greatly appreciated!!

This might help with getting the door handles off. Around page 224-225.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2009/DLK.pdf

And if you want the whole thing.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2009/

Not sure if you have the 09 or not, but im going to guess that 10-11 are fairly similar if not exactly the same.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's pretty easy. Remove a torx screw, then pull it out.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:45 AM

Easier said then done, I did mine and only ONE came all the way off, no matter how much I turned the torx screw, I didnt want to break anything so gave up.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 AM

try changing the LED's on the mirrors... now thats pressure, if you pull up the wrong way or break a clip. go buy a whole new mirror assy. Mine luckly worked out okay. Im going to try the handles soon too, wondering the same black, vs body color. I have plastidipped the fat peice on the back already.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by mikekay
try changing the LED's on the mirrors... now thats pressure, if you pull up the wrong way or break a clip. go buy a whole new mirror assy. Mine luckly worked out okay. Im going to try the handles soon too, wondering the same black, vs body color. I have plastidipped the fat peice on the back already.
Check my "couple pics" thread, tells u how to take the handles off
Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 AM

Thanks Tommy, will do!