7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

oily engine air filter

Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 AM

oily engine air filter

I have noticed the last few times I have looked at my engine's air filter that it is oily, even after changing them. Do other people notice this?

I do a lot of highway driving, about 20K miles since May. I have changed the air filter twice, I am on my third since owning the car. I replace them every other oil change and check them at every oil change to get rid of debris and what not. Each of them as had a fair amount of oil them. I don't see any oil anywhere else, I don't know if this is coming from the road, but there is nothing on my car. So I am curious if anyone has experienced anything similar to this? I don't think this should be normal, but I have no idea where it is coming from. It is a factory setup. I do my own oil changes Mobil1 full synthetic only and I am very careful to not spill any, I do get a drop once in a while, but I wipe it up.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by vr4z06gt
I have noticed the last few times I have looked at my engine's air filter that it is oily, even after changing them. Do other people notice this?

I do a lot of highway driving, about 20K miles since May. I have changed the air filter twice, I am on my third since owning the car. I replace them every other oil change and check them at every oil change to get rid of debris and what not. Each of them as had a fair amount of oil them. I don't see any oil anywhere else, I don't know if this is coming from the road, but there is nothing on my car. So I am curious if anyone has experienced anything similar to this? I don't think this should be normal, but I have no idea where it is coming from. It is a factory setup. I do my own oil changes Mobil1 full synthetic only and I am very careful to not spill any, I do get a drop once in a while, but I wipe it up.
You haven't done anything wrong this is normal as a function of the PCV/emissions system. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off.

Some people install oil catch cans to eliminate this, you engine will function just fine however if you have a large accumulation of oil you might want to have the dealer check your PCV system to make sure it's working properly.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
You haven't done anything wrong this is normal as a function of the PCV/emissions system. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off.

Some people install oil catch cans to eliminate this, you engine will function just fine however if you have a large accumulation of oil you might want to have the dealer check your PCV system to make sure it's working properly.
I agree with MaxLoverAz 100% on this. Could be a PCV system that's routing too much crankcase vapors back into the intake stream. Could either get a PCV catch can, which is a nice insurance policy especially if you drive your car hard.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:29 PM

Although I do agree with MaxLoverAz and GM_Traitor as to the PCV system contributing to this, I too am a road warrior (averaging about 5K per month) but I have yet to see any oil on my filter after 150K miles. You may want to schedule an appt before you get out of warranty (if you haven't already!)
Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Yea....thank you for the advice. The bumper to bumper came and went about 12K miles ago. I don't know if this is covered under the engine warranty. I would imagine that it would be....I will have to look into it and get back to people.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 PM

Yea....thank you for the advice. The bumper to bumper came and went about 12K miles ago. I don't know if this is covered under the engine warranty. I would imagine that it would be....I will have to look into it and get back to people.

Thanks guys.
Yes if this is indeed a PCV / Emissions systems issue this will fall either under the Federal Vehicle Emissions warranty or Powertrain warranty.

2010 Nissan Warranty
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Yes if this is indeed a PCV / Emissions systems issue this will fall either under the Federal Vehicle Emissions warranty or Powertrain warranty.

2010 Nissan Warranty
Bingo bango. I think anything emissions related is covered up to 80K I believe?

Just hope his dealership aren't a bunch of cheapskates and say the oily residue in his intake tract is "normal for these cars". God I hate that response...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 PM

Does anyone have a picture or description of where the pcv valve is? I started getting a exhaust/oil smell coming through my vents a month ago. I had it before and still after an oil change. No oil leaks that I can see.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM

Firstly, if anyone is using the OEM Nissan air filters (and AFAIK, maybe other brands as well), they are oily when new. Nissan uses oiled paper filters - yep, just like K&N. Oiled filters allow the filter media to be depth loaded with debris. Nissan apparently thinks they work better....whatever.

The PCV valve is highly unlikely to be stopped up at only 20K miles. Most of them are good for at least 60K and most of the time, twice that. As long as the PCV valve is functioning, there will never be crankcase fumes going through your nice clean air filter. Goes like this:

Crankcase fumes (+ pressure) -> PCV valve -> intake manifold (vacuum)
The PCV hose that goes between the intake hose and the heads is simply a fresh air feeder. It just feeds the crankcase with fresh FILTERED air. I.e., air is moving FROM the intake hose TO the engine. If the PCV valve gets stopped up, then that reverses and crankcase fumes will travel from the engine TO the intake hose...in which case you would have one DARK NASTY filter...like there would be engine oil all over it.

Late,
Trav
Old 01-25-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by tonyn3b
Does anyone have a picture or description of where the pcv valve is? I started getting a exhaust/oil smell coming through my vents a month ago. I had it before and still after an oil change. No oil leaks that I can see.
I had a similar issue. I could smell the oil and fumes occasionally, my guess is that they are from other vehicles in front of me. I do a lot of busy highway driving. There are plenty of other buses, trucks, and older cars puking out white and black smoke. I cannot recall a time of smelling it when there were no others cars around me.

I will take a picture of my filter this weekend and post it for everyone to see.

As far as the filter being oily from the factory. I know they are slightly oily, but there is a noticeable difference between what I see new and used, and I change them every 8-10K miles (2 oil changes). It is black but in a spray pattern not everywhere, looks like a "V". If it were dust, dirt...,i would expect it to be consistent throughout the filters bed. Since I see this in a defined area and pattern, it leads me to believe otherwise. I haven't had a chance to stop into the dealer yet. It am about to roll over 50K miles, hopefully it is still under warranty.