Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (http://maxima.org/forums/)
-   7th Generation Maxima (2009-) (http://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009-78/)
-   -   Auto Shift in M-mode? (http://maxima.org/forums/7th-generation-maxima-2009/667782-auto-shift-m-mode.html)

dr_2010SV 07-03-2013 11:09 PM

Auto Shift in M-mode?

Just messing around with the exhaust (battery disabled) and after about 2.5 hours I was back in the car shakin it down.
Drove in "D" as I most often do and everything is good. Came to a stop ... then popped it into "M" and bumped it from 1 to 2 and under continued foot pedal foreplay it went from M2 into M3 on it's own?
I said "no way"
Tried it again and repeated the scenario again. :confused:

Tomorrow is a new day and will see what this "Confusing VT" has in store?:eek:

Shipwreck 07-04-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV (Post 8818164)
Just messing around with the exhaust (battery disabled) and after about 2.5 hours I was back in the car shakin it down.
Drove in "D" as I most often do and everything is good. Came to a stop ... then popped it into "M" and bumped it from 1 to 2 and under continued foot pedal foreplay it went from M2 into M3 on it's own?
I said "no way"

How long until it "shifted?" I've heard other SV owners mention this happens but this has not happened in my S. I remember the last time I unintentionally tried this, I was at a stop and traveled in "first gear" forgetting I was in Manual mode, until I heard the rev limiter. I should note my music was super loud at the time as well. At the next light I got a lot of stink eye for it. :D

Ghozt 07-04-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV (Post 8818164)
I said "no way"

Yeah it automatically upshifts if you red-line it, that's how mine works. This is why dyno'ing the CVT doesn't spit out accurate results

dr_2010SV 07-04-2013 08:47 AM

Good input guys. I'm pretty sure I didn't get to redline before it acquired M3 as it was a driving scenario I have done before. Had the battery disconnected while working on the car so I think it was an "ECU" isolated occurrence.
I'll try to check it again today, thanks.

Amerikaner83 07-04-2013 09:02 AM

interesting... hope it was just a one-off hiccup thing :gotme:

dr_2010SV 07-04-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83 (Post 8818264)
interesting... hope it was just a one-off hiccup thing :gotme:

Me too. I have redlined the car at 50-55mph twice while driving in "D mode" The car acted like it was in manual mode......:whoa:

jeffislouie 07-05-2013 04:05 PM

I don't think that is supposed to happen. When I picked up my car, the dealer said that she doesn't recommend anyone drive around in M mode because she's seen people kill the motor by not paying attention. I haven't had my car shift for itself in M mode. In D, with paddle shifting, the car will automatically shift, I believe, but M is supposed to hold whatever gear you select...
Then again, maybe I'm wrong...

Edit: on the way home, I tried D M and S M and the car shifted to second automatically. Apparently, it won't hold first and let you blow up your motor....

Staggered357 07-06-2013 08:20 AM

When the electronics are working properly, usually all cars with electronic shifting up shift at a certain strain point, perhaps your ECU reset put it to an early point...this has been my experience CVT or not...

dcpatters 07-06-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffislouie (Post 8818807)
I don't think that is supposed to happen. When I picked up my car, the dealer said that she doesn't recommend anyone drive around in M mode because she's seen people kill the motor by not paying attention. I haven't had my car shift for itself in M mode. In D, with paddle shifting, the car will automatically shift, I believe, but M is supposed to hold whatever gear you select...
Then again, maybe I'm wrong...

Edit: on the way home, I tried D M and S M and the car shifted to second automatically. Apparently, it won't hold first and let you blow up your motor....

Find a new dealer, because she has no idea what she's talking about. The ECU has a rev-limiter. If the CVT did not up shift, which it does no matter what, the engine would bounce off the rev-limiter, e.g. protecting the motor from blowing up.

The CVT's manual mode, as you found, will not hold a gear. From what I have found, some of the behavior is related to engine and or transmission temperature.

jeffislouie 07-06-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpatters (Post 8819034)
Find a new dealer, because she has no idea what she's talking about. The ECU has a rev-limiter. If the CVT did not up shift, which it does no matter what, the engine would bounce off the rev-limiter, e.g. protecting the motor from blowing up.

The CVT's manual mode, as you found, will not hold a gear. From what I have found, some of the behavior is related to engine and or transmission temperature.

I'm not sure if bouncing off the rev limiter for a while wont blowup the motor, but it's not good for it.

Either way, the Max won't bounce the limiter because the cvt will simply fake the next gear.

Don't worry- I buy from the dealer that has the car I want for the price I want, with an eye for customer service.

It's a moot point anyway - if the car can't do it, I don't worry about it. ;)

dr_2010SV 07-07-2013 12:16 AM

Very good for you.....I'm not bragging about "bouncing redline" as it happen to me twice.
Like I said it I banged it in D and I did it before getting to 60mph.
All after I had the valve body replaced under warranty. You figure it out?