4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DO NOT Put Tape On Coil Packs

Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 PM

DO NOT Put Tape On Coil Packs

If you have problems with coil packs you will know that a Google search will usually lead to forums that tell you to put electrical tape over your coil's boot and around the coil itself to help insulate it.

So while changing my spark plugs the boot popped off my coil pack and got stuck in my spark plug hole so I fished it out but ended up ripping parts of the boot in several places. I did not want to spend $20 on new coils (You can't buy the boot itself, it comes with the coil) so I cheaped out and wrapped tape over the boot, and it worked for a while but my car started to misfire after a few days. So I decided to put on another layer but when I pulled out the coil pack, the tape was melted to the walls of the hole and the boot got stuck all the way at the bottom.

After 30 minutes of poking at the boot trying to fish it out, I had an epiphany as I was crying in the corner of the garage. And sprayed some WD-40 on the boot and it lubed it up enough to break free from the tape and another hour of fishing ended with SUCCESS!

My car for some reason came with several coil packs already taped over with some magic electrical tape that did not melt, so I took all of it off and whatcha know, I had 2 more cracked boots underneath. So I tried dielectric grease and lathered it on the inside of the boot and the outside filling the cracks and it seems to insulate quite well, I still haven't had any misfires so thats a thing to consider for a temporary fix.

So far I have changed one coil with some brand (BWD?) from O'reily and its been good so far. And for anyone wondering the coil simply pops off the coil pack, you need to hold it at the top boot very firmly and need to pull hard to break it free.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Got Retrofit?

People actually put electrical tape over coils? That just sounds like a dumb idea lol Glad you fixed the problem.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:43 AM

haha, I got the idea from the RB26 forum, and a guy said he solves his misfire problems with electrical tape and I thought that if it worked for those Silvia guys, why not me? But............
Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 AM

rockauto sells new coil boots for $8 a peice! i had to replace a couple of mine
Old 12-17-2010, 04:56 AM

lol @ putting tape on coil packs...fix it correctly man. glad your car didnt burn down
Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 AM

I've seen the electric tape suggestion many places.

I've thought about trying it myself before. Now I'll be sure not to.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Kevlo for President

I do not see a problem with the electrical tape fix as long as you use good electrical tape. Most of the wires in our engine bay are wrapped in electrical tape.

RockAuto is the only place i've seen that sells just the boots so it is understandable to do the cheap fix.

Have I done it? No. Will I do it? No.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I do not see a problem with the electrical tape fix as long as you use good electrical tape. Most of the wires in our engine bay are wrapped in electrical tape.

When changing spark plugs several years ago 2 of the boots seperated on those long firewall sided coils. I put electrical tape over those boots and it held for several years. When I changed plugs earlier this year I removed then replaced that electrical tape. The old tape was not melted and came off easliy.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911

RockAuto is the only place i've seen that sells just the boots so it is understandable to do the cheap fix.

Have I done it? No. Will I do it? No.
Autozone has em in a pinch but for $15 a pop!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Electrical tape should only be a temp fix/diagnostic test.

Did you gave oil in the tube that had the melted tape?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:00 PM

I have electric tape and mine are fine. Maybe you layered it on too thick? Fixed my problems.

This thread reminds me of the 9007 headlight bulb conversion thread. People were *****ing they're wires burned out/bulbs/melted head lights. Well, ever consider its user error? I have the 9007 conversion also and have had no problems.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it was the tape that was used. Probably used a cheap brand (never use the colored ones). For anything in the engine bay, I would recommend using Scotch Super 88 electric tape.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM

leo- get at me i have extra coils
Old 12-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Sounds like cheep tape? Today I tried some tape on a Rolls Royce I was working on, plug wire arcing near the dis-cap. I can confirm that cheep tape will not stop the arc if the boot is fairly worn(at least not in this case). Put some HD duck tape over the black tape, and still the arc passed right through. So like the thread says dont use tape, and the point is not to not use tape, but to use it in the proper place. Not down inside our motors I WOULD NEVER, but thats just me.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 PM

Its okay Blackwind, I've got it covered haha I replaced all the cracked boots already. But thanks!

As for the tape, I think you guys are right. The tape that I had already on my coils have been on there as long as I remember but they didn't melt.

The tape that I used was from Plymouth thats a good brand right? But either way, from now on I'm going to fix things the right way instead of half-assing things. Which means I will need to re-do my fogs, brakes, and just about every Ebay thing I put on my car....

But seriously, I am not even going to consider sticking anything down that hole that doesn't belong there. (Same goes for future wife) because if it get stuck down that hole, you will kicking yourself in the butt for it. It was a nightmare trying to get the tape off while not breaking the spark plug which is a whole other nightmare (because that means spending more money on a new spark plug). But a super long pair of needle nose pliers and a extra extra long flat head saved the day for me.

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 12-17-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
But seriously, I am not even going to consider sticking anything down that hole that doesn't belong there. (Same goes for future wife) because if it get stuck down that hole, you will kicking yourself in the butt for it.

Dr J
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 AM

NAPA Part Numbers (Coil Boots)

702439 - RIGHT
702440 - LEFT
Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 AM

ok, uh... i put tape on my coils because uhh well, i read a thread on this forum sayin it was a good idea. then i read this one so i took it all back off. when i did this i noticed something odd; 1, the car was exhibiting some sort of weird burning smell (i thought it was oil burning off the headers) 2, when the tape came off it was was no longer soft and stretchy. on the part of the boot where it meets the plug was hard and very brittle in fact to get it off i had to crack it into a million pieces. i agree this is A BAD IDEA. i feel dumb for trying it

Last edited by maxed_out_99; 12-23-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:55 PM

last year i had a coil go bad so i replaced it but the guy at the shop said another one was going bad but i couldnt afford to replace it so he said he could wrap it in some tape to see if it could longer and a year later its still holding up
Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Yeah mine had some coils already wrapped in a quality tape and it lasted for a loooong time.

But you know, I'm just warning you guys of the potential risk. Especially if it gets stuck all the way at the bottom with the spark plug still in it. Although I'm sure its not as bad as breaking a spark plug while its still threaded.

Just be careful! I'm glad I don't have to change spark plugs again for a loooong time because if I see another coil pack boot, I will probably cry.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM

I am kinda in the same situation. I changed almost all of them with no problem. However 2 of the boots were stuck on the firewall side the left and right, the middle was fine. How did you end up fishing out the boot? Any suggestions would be great!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 PM

use a wire hanger to fish it out
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Gram Lights addict

wow how cheap can you get bro? $20 for a coil is a dirt cheap fix. the coils are exposed to a ton of heat, did you really think electrical tape would last? lol
Old 07-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by MystiWink
I am kinda in the same situation. I changed almost all of them with no problem. However 2 of the boots were stuck on the firewall side the left and right, the middle was fine. How did you end up fishing out the boot? Any suggestions would be great!!!
One of my boots on the firewall side got stuck last month when I was replacing the valve cover gaskets. I tried using extended needle nose pliers but I couldn't get a grip on it. Like maxfever1987 suggested I used a wire hanger to give it some clearance so I could grip it with those pliers.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
wow how cheap can you get bro? $20 for a coil is a dirt cheap fix. the coils are exposed to a ton of heat, did you really think electrical tape would last? lol
Did you just ask a Maxima owner how cheap they can get?
The answer is dangerously cheap.

I did end up buying new coils for all my coil packs. By the way.

And electrical tape does hold up, it kind of depends on the brand. My car came with a few coils already wrapped in tape for who knows how long and when I saw it I was like "well look at this, this stuff works!" but the brand I used melted.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 AM

Yep! Like someone suggested I sprayed some WD-40 down the hole and used a wire hanger and bent the tip to fish it out.

I tore up the boot nicely trying to fish it out but be careful if you are gonna use something that can break the spark plug.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 AM

our maxs sure seem to have coil pack issues.
wonder if Toyotas do also.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

all coil pack fired cars will eventually have a coilpack crack...plastic+heat/cold expansion over time=cracks...

best way to seal the coilpack= seal the crack/s with superglue ,then 1-2 rounds with GOOD QUALITY high temp electrical tape...you will get many more miles out of a cracked coilpack doing this...
Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

2 of the boots were stuck on the firewall side the left and right, the middle was fine. How did you end up fishing out the boot? Any suggestions would be great!!!
Put 2 drops of crazy glue on the coil, reinstall it onto the boot.
Wait 5 minutes.
Pull the coil back out with the boot attached to it.

Easy...Really...
Old 07-18-2011, 09:55 AM

Good idea^ just don't over do the glue