5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Would powertrain warranty cover the ignition coils?

Old 05-21-2002, 01:53 PM
nm

Would powertrain warranty cover the ignition coils?

I was looking through the list of things that are covered by the powertrain warranty and from what I gather the coils are not covered....

From what I read, engine and transmission mechanical parts only are covered plus the TCM but not the ECU or any electrical parts (which would include the coils).

Can somebody who knows fo sure tell me if they are covered or not?

Thanks in advance.

nm
Old 05-21-2002, 02:20 PM
BuddyWh

Re: Would powertrain warranty cover the ignition coils?

Originally posted by nm
I was looking through the list of things that are covered by the powertrain warranty and from what I gather the coils are not covered....

From what I read, engine and transmission mechanical parts only are covered plus the TCM but not the ECU or any electrical parts (which would include the coils).

Thanks in advance.

nm
Check the emission controls warranty.

Buddywh

Old 05-21-2002, 02:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ignition coils covered under 3yr/36k only. I replaced all coils and plugs for $296.00 delivered from www.courtesyparts.com.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:27 PM
BuddyWh

Re: Would powertrain warranty cover the ignition coils?

Originally posted by nm

F/U: I found coils listed under the Federal Emission Controls Defects warranty.

But what surprised me... they are only covered for 3/36000 miles, and your car has to have failed a required emissions test. Only a few things (like the ECU, catalytic convertor) are covered for 8/80000. I think the California Emissions warranty is slightly different but your car had to have been bought brand new in California.

Dam that's annoying!

I wonder how many miles were on those cars that had the coils replaced under warranty?

BuddyWh

Old 05-21-2002, 09:30 PM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by BBarty
Ignition coils covered under 3yr/36k only. I replaced all coils and plugs for $296.00 delivered from www.courtesyparts.com.
How hard was it to replace the three coils on the rear of the engine? The ones under the intake plenum?

BuddyWh

Old 05-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ignition coils are covered under an Extended Warranty as well. My wife's GXE has 43K miles on it and we just had all 6 of her ignition coils replaced under the warranty.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:23 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

were you throwing codes on the GXE?

my rough idle isnt getting any better.. but I dont get pinging or codes...
Old 05-22-2002, 12:31 AM

Re: were you throwing codes on the GXE?

I had the same problem at low RPM.
Turned out to be the flex on my y-pipe instead.

Just a thought...

ADMAN
Old 05-22-2002, 06:30 AM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by y2kse
Ignition coils are covered under an Extended Warranty as well. My wife's GXE has 43K miles on it and we just had all 6 of her ignition coils replaced under the warranty.

Do you have any idea how long they extended the warranty? We know 43k miles at least... perhaps to as long as the 6/60K?

I don't know if mine will start with the problem, but if it does come up I'd like to go be able to insist on coverage if I know it is due me!

Dam secret warranties... dunno what's worse, not having them or learning about one AFTER I paid for a repair!

Thanks for the information...

Buddywh

Old 05-22-2002, 07:17 AM
nm

y2kse,

did they specifically replace them under the 6/60 extended warranty or the 5/50 emissions warrantty?

Also how hard was it to get them to replace the coils? Was the pinging very obvious or intermittent?

Thanks,

nm
Old 05-22-2002, 08:26 AM

I have the pinging problem. I will be printing out the TSB tonight and taking my car in for service. I have taken it to the Nissan dealer before and they told me I was using regular gas. I told them I only use Amoco or Exxon Super. Then they told me that it was the winter additive that was added to gas. I am from North Carolina and I don't think it gets very cold down here, at least not cold enough to use a fuel additive. But I could not respond to his BullSh!t. I even took the Service manager for a ride to let him hear it for himself. "oh yeah that's definitely a pinging problem from bad gas." We will see what he says when I take it back this time with proof in hand it is not a gas problem.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:41 AM

OK, I'll answer these all at once.

First, my wife's extended warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

My wife has been running 89 octane gasoline in her 2K GXE since the day it was new. The first time either of us heard her car ping was at around 40K miles. I ran some Chevron Pro-Gard in her gas tank and that seemed to take care of the problem for a little while. But the detonation and hesitation returned, and no amount of Pro-Gard would fix it.

As some of you know, I dealt with this issue on my SE before the ignition coil TSB was released. It took an act of God and the support of my dealer to get Nissan to replace my coils. But they did, and my car has not detonated since.

In both my case and my wife's case, the detonation occurred intermittently. And in neither case did our ECUs throw a SES light.

Because of the previous detonation issues on my SE and the excellent rapport I have with my dealer, I simply took a copy of the TSB in to them and they replaced the coils on my wife's car without any pushback whatsoever. Of course, I had to tell them that my wife had switched to premium gasoline . . . which she had, by the way.

We've only had the car back for a couple of days, but so far my wife hasn't heard the engine detonate or felt it hesitate. And frankly, I doubt she will again.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:49 AM
BuddyWh

OK, I'll answer these all at once.

First, my wife's extended warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
OK... now I understand... your wife's extended warranty was purchased! So I'm completey ***-over-ears in thinking there might be any kind of secret warranty.

So my guess is, since I'm over 36000 miles, any warranty coverage I might have for coils is at best iffy and most likely nil since I did not buy an extended warranty.

BuddyWh

Old 05-22-2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by BuddyWh

OK... now I understand... your wife's extended warranty was purchased! So I'm completey ***-over-ears in thinking there might be any kind of secret warranty.

So my guess is, since I'm over 36000 miles, any warranty coverage I might have for coils is at best iffy and most likely nil since I did not buy an extended warranty.

BuddyWh
That's correct, Buddy. But based on your previous posts, I hardly need to point out to you the damage detonation can cause. So warranty or no warranty, you've got to do something about it if it shows up.

Coils cost about $150.00 per set. There's a set for the front cylinders and a set for the rears. So a complete coil replacement runs around $300.00 plus labor.

BTW, I'm a big fan of extended warranties. Every time I've purchased them, they've ended up paying for themselves. I wouldn't buy a new car without one.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:35 AM
BuddyWh

That's correct, Buddy. But based on your previous posts, I hardly need to point out to you the damage detonation can cause. So warranty or no warranty, you've got to do something about it if it shows up.
Oh yeah... I'm a 100% believer that a Max shouldn't ping... mine in particular... so if it starts in I'll know something is wrong and needs fixin'.

So... if I have to do it myself (and it certainly appears so) when they fail... how hard is it to get to the rear three coils? Doesn't look hard, but I just want to know before they fail.

Buddywh

Old 05-26-2002, 08:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ignition coils NOT covered by Powertrain warranty

As someone who has gone through an ignition coil replacement, they are NOT covered by the powertrain warranty (5 year /50K miles).

Get this fixed before 3 years / 36K miles. I had to go to two different dealers to get it fixed (knocking). Once the coils were replaced, all was good.

Your Max should not knock. Period.