7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2013 Maxima vs 2013 Altima

Old 12-25-2012, 06:14 AM

2013 Maxima vs 2013 Altima

This surprised me a lot, I think the Altima is the car that Nissan prefers to sell over the Max, I am not 100 percent sure i am going to go with another max, I have had 4 of them and loved all of them but for the $7000 or so for the max is it really worth that amount of money.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by sonomamax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYk-BZxC2-0

This surprised me a lot, I think the Altima is the car that Nissan prefers to sell over the Max, I am not 100 percent sure i am going to go with another max, I have had 4 of them and loved all of them but for the $7000 or so for the max is it really worth that amount of money.
Nissan has been very quiet about the next generation Maxima. I think comparing a brand new redesigned car to a car that has already been out for 5+ years and is due for a redesign is lame. Let's see this comparison again when the new Maxima comes out.

And why does the Altima have paddle shifter? Pointless having something like that with a CVT.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:13 AM

One thing that was not mentioned in this video is the fuel requirements. The Maxima recommends premium gas for maximum performance, whereas the new Altima 3.5 only calls for regular. I have a feeling that regular gas was used in both cars, which would hinder the Maxima's performance. I bet that if the Maxima had premium gas it would have been faster, especially if it was 93 octane.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 AM

It seemed to me like they just had the max in D also rather than Ds, I didn't hear the fake shifts. I'm not sure how much that changes times but you'd have to assume sport mode would be quicker
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM

We had this out a few months ago.

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ima-sl-v6.html

I disagree with some of what these guys have said. I didn't detect major handling differences. There's a small one, probably because the Max has lighter suspension components, but the two feel very similar.

I recently had a base-model Altima rental for a few days. It's a league apart from the SL trim with the V6. Not a bad car, but devoid of personality. The engine/transmission combination is much less direct and satisfying than the V6, albeit still plenty quick for most uses.

Regarding Sport mode: both cars are faster in Drive.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 AM

You need to consider that you can now get $5000 off a 2012 Maxima from Nissan in addition to dealer discounts so the price difference is much less. If you drive both you will be convinced that the Maxima is the way to go especially with the sport package.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by alexdi
We had this out a few months ago.

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ima-sl-v6.html

I disagree with some of what these guys have said. I didn't detect major handling differences. There's a small one, probably because the Max has lighter suspension components, but the two feel very similar.

I recently had a base-model Altima rental for a few days. It's a league apart from the SL trim with the V6. Not a bad car, but devoid of personality. The engine/transmission combination is much less direct and satisfying than the V6, albeit still plenty quick for most uses.

Regarding Sport mode: both cars are faster in Drive.
The reviews I've read about the 2013 altima, say it's a step up in almost every way from the 2012. Where it's not a step up, according to the reviews, is the handling and performance. Now, imo, if the handling and performance is the same as the 2012, it's a blah car, as I rented a 2012 altima for a month; getting to know it more than i would like in the process.

And if the handling and performance is a 2013 altima is the same as a Max...too bad for the max.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM

I actually don't see a problem with both cars looking similar (which I find hard to see); At least Nissans' designs don't copy those of other competitors.

I really don't like how they say the Altima they tested offers more features for the buck, when they compare it to a near-base Maxima. And the fact that both cars are aimed towards different clientele makes this review pointless.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 AM

u can probably get a equally equipped 2013 maxima for about the same price as n equally altima, I'm sure they are offering incentives on the maxima over the altima.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM

They did say that the Max feels more substanial and drives better...which is important and they would rather have it. Also we all knew that the 3.5 Alti is a tad quicker with the New CVT and lighter weight based on R/T etc etc test again. Kinda funny that the Max they tested they say was over 40k without paddle shifters, so they had a regular SV paying that no way. Looks wise there is no comparison in person, lets just say that online and Mags do the Altima justice. In person the Max is way more athletic looking and looks better from every conceivable angle; rear no contest at all, front, side, angle side etc. Like someone posted on their those wanna be old Monte Carlo fender flares just do not work on it......

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 12-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM

I doubt that my Maxima is slower than the new Altima. These guys don't know how to drive.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904

And why does the Altima have paddle shifter? Pointless having something like that with a CVT.
uh the Max has paddle shifters and a CVT. It's kinda fun... pointless but makes it more interesting. not sure which model the video they use that doesn't have paddle shifters, as i had to turn it off before figuring it out with those morons on the video.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6
uh the Max has paddle shifters and a CVT. It's kinda fun... pointless but makes it more interesting. not sure which model the video they use that doesn't have paddle shifters, as i had to turn it off before figuring it out with those morons on the video.
A base SV without the Premium or Sport Package since it had leather.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 PM

The Paddle shifters suck when you try to line up with another car..let me tell ya. It is fun when your cruising by yourself though!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6
Interesting...

Last car I drove with paddle shifters was a 911 Turbo S with the PDK transmission. Now that was fun
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
I doubt that my Maxima is slower than the new Altima. These guys don't know how to drive.
Well if it makes you feel better, the max is faster than like 75% of altimas

I'm only 26 but the older I get, the more 0-60 times of my car are irrelevant. As long as it's fast enough for me, I don't care about a 0-60.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
Well if it makes you feel better, the max is faster than like 75% of altimas

I'm only 26 but the older I get, the more 0-60 times of my car are irrelevant. As long as it's fast enough for me, I don't care about a 0-60.
True true..If its quick enough for me..Its quick lol
Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM

They complain about the Max, yet they have the base SV without paddle shifters. A Maxima with the premium package (nav) is 10 times better than a base model, which they probably had... What about cooled seat, privacy shade, thigh support, rear controls, led tail lights and panoramic roof... are those available in the Altima? I don't think so...Also, the best way to compare the cars would have been a side by side drag race with only one person inside the vehicle. How about a 1/4 mile?
A loaded Altima is more expensive (31k or so) than a base sv with the actual rebates (34k - 4k). I also think that the lim ed with 18s may have an edge, but that is just a theory.. These guys don't have a clue.. But they still dig the max..
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 PM

Screw that new ultima... The GTI is fast too but that also is butt ugly... New eltima isn't a car maxims fans would drive.. max got @ss for days ... Looks much better..+ I don't care how fast a car can go... If it doesn't look good... Nobody cares... GTI, Altima, Taurus

Last edited by Jarohnimo; 12-26-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jarohnimo
Screw that new ultima... The GTI is fast too but that also is butt ugly... New eltima isn't a car maxims fans would drive.. max got @ss for days ... Looks much better..+ I don't care how fast a car can go... If it doesn't look good... Nobody cares... GTI, Altima, Taurus
Totally agree..
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 AM

Definitely somethings in maxima are really cool like.. the ignition start on remote and stuff.. but a max owner would not really give it a second thought.. look at the beauty and curves in the maxima.. it definitely stands out.. I Have noticed my max parked between mercs and beamers and even panemeras sometimes.. it looks awesome between that class too an altima in the same place.. naaaaAaaah man!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 AM

What makes the Maxima truly stand out is the sport package with the 19" wheels that you can't get in an Altima. The car handling is outstanding near a BMW level at a fraction of the price. Acceleration is totally meaningless (except adolesents) unless you intend to race the car. If you do, you picked the wrong car
Old 12-27-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by silberma
What makes the Maxima truly stand out is the sport package with the 19" wheels that you can't get in an Altima. The car handling is outstanding near a BMW level at a fraction of the price. Acceleration is totally meaningless (except adolesents) unless you intend to race the car. If you do, you picked the wrong car
Got some internet postings from a reliable source that shows the maxima handles as well as a BMW, any BMW? I should add, more than running around circles.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Envymynissan
They complain about the Max, yet they have the base SV without paddle shifters. A Maxima with the premium package (nav) is 10 times better than a base model, which they probably had... What about cooled seat, privacy shade, thigh support, rear controls, led tail lights and panoramic roof... are those available in the Altima? I don't think so...Also, the best way to compare the cars would have been a side by side drag race with only one person inside the vehicle. How about a 1/4 mile?
A loaded Altima is more expensive (31k or so) than a base sv with the actual rebates (34k - 4k). I also think that the lim ed with 18s may have an edge, but that is just a theory.. These guys don't have a clue.. But they still dig the max..

I was wondering if maybe the paddle shifters were eliminated in the '13 Max (as opposed to the shifters I definitely have in my '12), but you are right, they just don't know the packages.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Silberma, did you say acceleration is totally meaningless except in adolescents?

I get what you're trying to say, that it doesn't matter to you if your car makes it to 60mph in 5 seconds, 6 seconds, or 7. But that's a little crazy to say that acceleration is meaningless.

If you could choose between two Maximas, equally equipped and equally priced. The ONLY difference is the rate of acceleration, you choose the faster one, right?

I'm 28. Even if I were 68, I'd still happily proclaim that it's fun to zip around in a fast car.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by silberma
Acceleration is totally meaningless (except adolesents) unless you intend to race the car. If you do, you picked the wrong car
this makes no sense. ive seen people buy sports cars and trick them out VIP-style and only drive them slow. people do whatever they want with their cars, and always will. acceleration in the Maxima/Altima matters to people who wanted a quick car to drive, that still has 4 doors because some of us actually use our cars to carry things - like Christmas presents or 3 passengers for example.

now if you talk about taking your Max to the track and putting a turbo on it, then I agree you got the wrong car. to say acceleration doesn't matter though is kind of pointless; acceleration will always matter - with every vehicle. ive never met a single person in my life who said "oh wow this is great, i love how slow this car is"
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM

I'll still take the Max....
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM

Im at the dealership right now and I noticed a cool add on to the 2013 maxima' s or maybe its just the package but whenever you open the driver door the
"Maxima" located by the seat lights up blue? Pretty cool mod lol
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Illuminated door sills. I think that's a dealer add-on.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
Illuminated door sills. I think that's a dealer add-on.
it was supposed to be an option on the 2013 models but when we tried to contact Nissan for the part # to order them they said its discontinued? lol ok.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sonomamax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYk-BZxC2-0

Should have been no surprise. It has often been mentioned here, but it might be said again that comparing a vehicle designed over six years ago (and soon to be replaced) with the very latest redesigned version of another vehicle may be something meaningful for a person who must buy now, and who doesn't care about looks and other details, etc, but such a comparison is not a significant thing in the lives of the general public.

You are corrct that Nissan plans on selling around 250K Altimas (the car for the common man who is using his car simply to get from point A to point B) and 70K Maximas (Nissan's flagship intended for those who care about style and panache and enjoying the journey) per year.

But the $7,000 you mentioned is off base.

Dealers here in the Atlanta area are advertising base 2013 Maximas for $24,989. But try and get the new top of the line '13 Altima (the car in the video was the 3.5 Altima) for that. My dealer won't give me that deal.

The $7,000 or so you are mentioning will take you from the top of the line 3.5 Altima to a totally loaded top of the line Maxima, which is a better equipped and more desirable car than the very best Altima.

Those judging a Maxima on 0 to 60 times are not understanding what today's Maxima is all about. I like the handling of my 2009 Maxima (DESIGNED IN 2006) over that of the one short drive I had in the newly redesigned 2013 Altima. And those wanting a drag racer need to look at track cars, not plush near-luxury vehicles such as the Maxima.

Make this comparison when the 8th gen Maxima arrives. Won't be long now. Most members of the general public would rather wait for the 8th gen Maxima and be happier for many years than buy the Altima right now and be a little disappointed with their very commonplace Altima when the 8th gen Maxima arrives.

But there are folks who tend to plan long-range, and those who are more interested in the here-and-now. Lots of both kinds in this world.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Serpent
Silberma, did you say acceleration is totally meaningless except in adolescents?

I get what you're trying to say, that it doesn't matter to you if your car makes it to 60mph in 5 seconds, 6 seconds, or 7. But that's a little crazy to say that acceleration is meaningless.

If you could choose between two Maximas, equally equipped and equally priced. The ONLY difference is the rate of acceleration, you choose the faster one, right?

I'm 28. Even if I were 68, I'd still happily proclaim that it's fun to zip around in a fast car.
Of course acceleration is important. That is why I have a Maxima with 3.5 liter engine. What I meant to say is that differences in tenths of a second in acceleration are meaningless (unless on a race track) when the car already has ample acceleration.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM

I bought my Maxima because it was fast. The Altima 3.5 doesn't feel any quicker when your boot is to the floor. It does feel quicker at part-throttle because Nissan retuned the CVT to be more aggressive. The Altima's D mode feels halfway to the Maxima's Ds in throttle response, but without the stupid fake shift points. It's definitely preferable.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM

I wouldn't take neither.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
I wouldn't take neither.

So you would take either one.

Like others have said, this is a useless comparison. The current generation Maxima is past its prime. Frankly, I am surprised that the reviewers did not ding the Maxima for not having the same technology such as blind spot warning and lane departure warning available like the Altima does. Anyone who follows Nissans knew that the Altima was bound to leapfrog the Maxima in some regards since it was redesigned and released first. Let's revisit this when the 8th generation Maxima is released. Actually, there won't be a point because when it comes down to it, these cars are in different classes.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by boone
Like others have said, this is a useless comparison.
Why? If you walk into a Nissan dealership with $35K, those are your choices. How is it useless to compare choices?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Why? If you walk into a Nissan dealership with $35K, those are your choices. How is it useless to compare choices?
35k on an Altima? most people didn't even spend 35k on their Max. im sure you could drop 35k on a Sentra too if you found a shady dealership
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM

I almost spent 31k on a brand new 3.5 alti with all the extras. Instead spent 28k on a used maxima with 15k and all the extras. Compare away, but the point of it all is obvious: the new Altima is nice and may rival the maxima in some areas. But when the maxima is refreshed it will likely be superior across the board. Right now it's a good purchase either way, but everyone on this forum is gonna lean towards the max. And if you can wait, the new maxima will probably be something that we'll all be drooling over soon.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

For someone choosing a car primarily based on money, that would make sense. I do not shop for cars that way though and I am betting a lot of people on this forum do not either. The Altima and Maxima are targeted at different market segments. The Altima is Nissan's volume midsize sedan targeted at the vast majority of buyers who want just sensible and reliable transportation. This is the same segment that Camrys and Accords play in. What confuses people is the fact that Toyota and Honda have no true direct competitor to the Maxima. The Maxima is targeted at people who want a little more than just solid transportation. It is intended for those who want a car that is a little more sporty and aggressive looking while offering up some near luxury features and refinement.

All of this being said, these two cars do grab customers from each other's respective target audiences. It is not unusual at all for someone looking at Altimas to switch to a Maxima for various reasons and vice versa. I have all of the respect in the world for the Altima and I think it is a great car. Heck, I just put my dad in one. This was after he looked at a Maxima that cost about the same price and decided that the Maxima was just too much car for him.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by boone
So you would take either one.

The current generation Maxima is past its prime. Let's revisit this when the 8th generation Maxima is released.
the 7th gen is way past its prime. Like seriously, the 5.5 gen can do 6.3 seconds from 0-60mph. 2013 7th gen does 6.2 seconds from 0-60mph. Not a great improvement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Maxima vs 2013 Altima