7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Dead Battery!!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Dead Battery!!

Has anyone experienced a dead battery. This happend twice since I owned the car almost a year ago. Both scenarios were as follows:
I am sitting in the car with the power off. I decide to plug in my phone in the charger which is in the middle storage area which the power is always on regardless of the car being on or off. If I use my phone for a few minutes, then when I start the car it wont start. Instead it will make clicking noises. I then jump start the car and it runs fine.

I know some will say that I shouldnt plug my phone if the car is off, but I have left my phone plugged in the car before (while I was not in the car) and I never had a problem.

Anyone experienced this or who can explain what is hapenning?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM

yes this has happen to me also, if i'm cleaning the car and leave the doors open approximately 30mins...battery goes dead...happen last weekend..it's like the 3rd time...i'm just gonna by a yellow top battery...
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 AM

You guys should get your batteries tested. I leave my phone plugged in all the time with the car off. And when I park in the garage I leave the doors open all night to air out, especially after getting the inside wet from a good rain...sometimes after the lights already turned off automatically, someone might walk by, close then reopen a door, hence the lights may be triggered back on several times in the evening, NEVER have I had a problem with the battery.

It's an Autozone brand, $90 battery, nothing special.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM

change the battery, the oem battery is weird.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
change the battery, the oem battery is weird.
The bitterly cold winters and blisteringly hot summers of recent years do not help batteries at all.

And cars keep adding more and more power options every year. For instance, I never had a heated steering wheel until my '04 SL, but now keep that turned on from fall till spring every year.

OEM batteries are about as good as they were a decade or two ago, but have much higher demands in today's cars. Manufacturers don't bother to put good batteries in cars because they are a 'wear-and-tear' item, and if they last a year, the manufacturer is off the hook.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Same thing happened to me had radio running like 15-20 mins while washing the car , then car wouldn't start . Happened twice and after dealership tested and they said it was fine I just went out and bought an optima redtop
Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by gtmassive75
yes this has happen to me also, if i'm cleaning the car and leave the doors open approximately 30mins...battery goes dead...happen last weekend..it's like the 3rd time...i'm just gonna by a yellow top battery...
but y not a red top?? Thats wa im planing on getting after i get my car back nex week
Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM

Had my Max for two years now n always leave the doors open when cleaning n radio too n battery hasn't die on me yet. . Maybe its Just My luck
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM

I take about 20-30 minutes to wipe down my car about twice a week, opening and closing the doors, playing music at low levels with a 1,000 watt amp, battery never died yet. Max almost a year old.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Buy a Red Top, read this thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...y-so-soon.html
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Well since i got the fog light override with a seperate switch i forgot to turn them off n the garage where i park couldnt call me so my 10K HID fogs where on all night and thats when it died
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same thing happened to me

Washed the car, left the doors opened to dry them,so they would not freeze (it was minus 30 Celsius out) Tried starting the car and nothing. Dealer tested the battery said it was fine. Note that this is the OEM battery and my car is now 4 years old

Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM

I just replaced mine to a red top. I had a mechanic friend test the battery and charging system for me and it showed good every time, but every test the cca's were different and jumping up and down. He told me it was probably due to a bad cell. I replaced a couple weeks ago and have had no issues.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by magoodia
Washed the car, left the doors opened to dry them,so they would not freeze (it was minus 30 Celsius out) Tried starting the car and nothing. Dealer tested the battery said it was fine. Note that this is the OEM battery and my car is now 4 years old

The Nissan OEM battery on our Maximas has a Cold Cranking Amp rating of 550. This is undersized for this car, and has been the source of starting failures right from the intro of the 2009 on up to the present.

In your climate, you MUST have a stronger battery. Nissan has an excellent 700 CCA battery available for $114, or you could opt for any of the more reliable batteries on the market, some of which are under $100.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=lightonthehill;8896164]The Nissan OEM battery on our Maximas has a Cold Cranking Amp rating of 550. This is undersized for this car, and has been the source of starting failures right from the intro of the 2009 on up to the present.

I agree with the above quote. I have had no issues with my battery but since i am the second owner of the vehicle, my nissan service advisor told me that the Maxima OEM batteries are not strong enough and they replace them with stronger batteries. Once that happens, all is well. The replacement in my Maxima is a Nissan battery and i have had no issues with it since the first owner changed it. Changing out the battery should solve any battery issues.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM

You need to remember to put distilled water in the batteries regularly since the factory ones in the Maxima are not maintenance free. This will help the longevity of the batteries life, the 550 CCA is an issue though.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by eyeball
You need to remember to put distilled water in the batteries regularly since the factory ones in the Maxima are not maintenance free. This will help the longevity of the batteries life, the 550 CCA is an issue though.
100% agree. I checked my 2012 at less than one year of ownership and it was really, really low. unbelievably low...
Old 01-10-2014, 04:19 PM

I read somewhere that when charging an Optima RedTop you need to connect a conventional battery between the charger and the RedTop. Is that really true? Seems very cumbersome. Also wonder how you would "jump" a RT... Sounds like Optimas are a great battery, but I'm concerned about what happens if there ever is a problem with them.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Battery dies when car is not in use

I've had this problem since day one and I've had the battery replaced twice even though they told me it was good. I cannot leave my car sit for more than 5 days or the battery is dead when I get back. It's happened repeatedly. I'm double check that I leave absolutely nothing on. Heater, lights, or anything plugged in. Something draws power from it when it sits, and my mechanic has been unable to find the source. If I continually use the car I have no problems. Can anyone help?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by loboexp
I've had this problem since day one and I've had the battery replaced twice even though they told me it was good. I cannot leave my car sit for more than 5 days or the battery is dead when I get back. It's happened repeatedly. I'm double check that I leave absolutely nothing on. Heater, lights, or anything plugged in. Something draws power from it when it sits, and my mechanic has been unable to find the source. If I continually use the car I have no problems. Can anyone help?
What is the CCA and make of the battery you have in it now? What if any aftermarket electronic/electrical devices have been installed?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:34 PM

This happened to me a couple of times until I found out the problem.. remove the terminals and clean them. TRUST ME... It didn't make sense to me.. Sometimes i would drive the car park it get back in and this rapid clicking noise... My multimeter read the batt was good.. So i removed the terminals and they were trashed to hell... CLEAN THEM.. Do that FIRST (after testing the batt), and you should be fine..
Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just replaced my battery.I figured with the car being four years old, that's about right. I got a new battery and air filter for $166. I used a coupon the dealer had for their service dept for $10.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 AM

The batteries Nissan uses are crap. In all my Nissan vehicles, 03 Maxima, 10 Murano and my current 10 Maxima I had to replace the battery because the OE one died while I was either programming my garage door opener, or attempting to sync my phone.

I replaced my last one with an Optima redtop which solved the problem. If you get lucky enough and the dealer gives you a replacement under warranty make sure you ask for the higher CCA one. I believe the higher upgraded batteries are 550cca, which IMO is still not enough considering all the electronics these cars have. Plus the battery still requires you to add water to it.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
The batteries Nissan uses are crap. In all my Nissan vehicles, 03 Maxima, 10 Murano and my current 10 Maxima I had to replace the battery because the OE one died while I was either programming my garage door opener, or attempting to sync my phone.

I replaced my last one with an Optima redtop which solved the problem. If you get lucky enough and the dealer gives you a replacement under warranty make sure you ask for the higher CCA one. I believe the higher upgraded batteries are 550cca, which IMO is still not enough considering all the electronics these cars have. Plus the battery still requires you to add water to it.
The new battery I got about two years ago from Nissan as a replacement is 700 CCA, however it is not maintenance free.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same Stuff

I just made it home from experiencing the same issue. Went to my daughters school, picking her up after her football game...... I'm sitting there with my 2013 Nissan Maxima turned off!!!!... was watching my church service tonight from my phone. Plugged in my car charger which is also located in the center console and sat there maybe 20-25 mins. Went to start the car... NOTHING!!! (Just got this car not even a month ago) looked in owners manual, read about the anti-thief system and intelligent key (it's dumb af!) Because the red car with the key in the middle light was on... my lights was dim, the fob wouldn't do anything, tried getting a jump ..... the first one didn't work. Looked in differect forms tested different things from placing car fob in entry, turn car in on position. .. leave that way for 10 mins, nothing. I even replaced the fob battery. ... after 3 hours later stuck in the back of a dark school. My buddy said. ... lets try and jump it again.... as soon....
And I mean AS Sooooo as he placed cables on both cars and turned his car on.... everything powered up and went back to normal... I have been so scared, I've went out there 3 times to start my car just to see.... I will never try to charge my phone while my Max is off ever again! Still going to the dealership in the morning to make sure everything is ok. 😑

Originally Posted by omario
Has anyone experienced a dead battery. This happend twice since I owned the car almost a year ago. Both scenarios were as follows:
I am sitting in the car with the power off. I decide to plug in my phone in the charger which is in the middle storage area which the power is always on regardless of the car being on or off. If I use my phone for a few minutes, then when I start the car it wont start. Instead it will make clicking noises. I then jump start the car and it runs fine.

I know some will say that I shouldnt plug my phone if the car is off, but I have left my phone plugged in the car before (while I was not in the car) and I never had a problem.

Anyone experienced this or who can explain what is hapenning?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2016, 11:21 AM

Mine takes about an hour to two of the car on (engine off) for the battery to start getting weak, speakers bumpin, phone charging, and everything too, yall need new batteries!