8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima official release photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
You remember well. Yes, I bought two 1985 (2nd gen) Maximas in October of 1984, and one Maxima the first model year of each generation since. I hope to keep that up until I am interred. If I reach a point where I feel I may not be a safe driver due to age, my younger wife is an excellent driver, and we are always in the car together anyway, so I will still be riding in the latest generation Maxima.

I learned to drive by moving semis around at one of my uncle's trucking terminals in the mid-1940s. I could back semis up to a loading dock correctly before I drove on public highways. I drove only manuals until the GM slush box trannies arrived in the early 1950s. My last manual was a 5speed 1978 Datsun 200SX.

I still love manuals, but not in heavy urban traffic. My daughter has been driving for 35 years, and she will not drive anything but a manual. Her husband is an architech who drives race cars on weekends. My son alternates between manuals and automatics, and loves working on cars.

I have an advantage over some folks in 'learning to love' the CVT because I have had no choice over my long life but to adapt to new things. Almost every 'favorite' thing I have ever had eventually became unavailable, leaving me with no choice but to adapt to another brand or product. That has become the story of my life. Adjust or be left on the sidelines. So I adjust, even though it sometimes leaves me a little sad. Life moves on and everything eventually changes.

In my younger days, I would probably be more demanding in looking at new cars. But time has worn me down, and I retain my enthusiasm by trying to find the good things/features/etc in new generation cars, sort of looking past the parts that may not have been done quite as well as one might have hoped.
Sheesh this is so gloomy. Really sorry to hear that hill, guess I'd better prepare myself for future disappointments and let downs too.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Itz Shak
Sheesh this is so gloomy. Really sorry to hear that hill, guess I'd better prepare myself for future disappointments and let downs too.
izt Shak - Please don't be gloomy. I didn't mean to have a sad tone to my post. I MUCH prefer to have lived to a ripe old age and had to change and adjust to the times than the alternative - to NOT have lived to a ripe old age and NOT have had the opportunity to adjust and change.

I am really getting excited about the official intro on April 1st. Not only will we have more views of the 8th gen, but, more importantly, we will be finding out important things such as the power train, options, etc, etc. This is an exciting time for me.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-23-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Itz Shak
What? LOTH's comments were optimistic and realistic, not gloomy.

Life is not an endless stream of participation trophies. That's why the real trophies are so awesome when they happen.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:15 AM

izt Shak - Please don't be gloomy. I didn't mean to have a sad tone to my post. I MUCH prefer to have lived to a ripe old age and had to change and adjust to the times than the alternative - to NOT have lived to a ripe old age and NOT have had the opportunity to adjust and change.

I am really getting excited about the official intro on April 1st. Not only will we have more views of the 8th gen, but, more importantly, we will be finding out important things such as the power train, options, etc, etc. This is an exciting time for me.
I second that for sure. Tickets for NY Auto Show '15 are $16 for adults for general admin, $38 for those who want to beat the traffic and show up an hour early...Not sure if I'd do that, only cause with the 1st day of reveal to general public is 4/3/2015, which is a Friday (Good Friday this year), traffic is going to be unbelievable driving and taking the light rail in from Jersey. I hope there is an AWD version, just for performance sake so you don't get tire-spin, but one can wish. See what goes down in April.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
What? LOTH's comments were optimistic and realistic, not gloomy.

Life is not an endless stream of participation trophies. That's why the real trophies are so awesome when they happen.
Absolutely. And getting old actually can have advantages. My wife and I usually eat out most days, and most fast food restaurants have 'senior drinks' at half price or even free. My only problem is remembering to ask for 'senior drinks' instead of 'geezer gulps' or 'senile sips.' Some restaurants even have senior meals that are not quite as huge for reduced prices. That suits us very well, as we are not into those giant restaurant meals.

Someone on this board was mentioning ticket prices for the NY Auto Show. I know that the Atlanta Auto Show runs from Wednesday through Sunday, and on the second day (Thursday), seniors can get in for half price ($5), and also pay half price for parking.

P,S. - To tie this to the thread, I am hopeful we will have folks here who will be scouring the internet for new photos of the 8th gen, which will be appearing in great numbers on April 1st. If the best ones can be posted here, that would save the rest of us a lot of searching. Specs and power train options would be very much appreciated. Just 36 days!. The excitement builds!

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-24-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:10 PM

I'm going to the Rochester Auto Show this weekend, and I don't expect to see an 8th Gen. Not at this show. Most of the cars are pulled right from the lot. But I'm still going with a friend, because I really love cars.

Actually, my bud is the guy I sold my old Maxima to, so we're sure to be discussing the 8th Gen.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:19 PM

I'm going to the Rochester Auto Show this weekend, and I don't expect to see an 8th Gen. Not at this show. Most of the cars are pulled right from the lot. But I'm still going with a friend, because I really love cars.

Actually, my bud is the guy I sold my old Maxima to, so we're sure to be discussing the 8th Gen.

My wife likes that approach. I head to the Atlanta Auto Show whenever a new generation Maxima is on display, and spend around five hours just ogling the Maxima, while my wife tours the entire show, sitting in and getting her opinion of every vehicle in which she might have an interest. I come home with several Maxima brochures, while she comes home with brochures from every imaginable vehicle.

Those here attending the NY Auto Show should pick up any available printed material for the 8th gen Maxima. Sometimes there will be goodies inside the printed things that were not announced by the speakers introducing the new gen Maxima.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:44 PM

Keep up the good conversations fellas, I like to read them moreso these days than reply. I do reply when need be :-) !
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 AM

I am having a little difficulty nailing things down. The red car we saw in the commercial (night view by lamplight made it look maroon - Nissan will NOT be painting a Maxima maroon) has asymetrical (sporty) wheels, and a spoiler on the back. But the well-lit red car someone pulled down from the Nissan site showed more conservative symetrical wheels, no spoiler, and a double-panel roof.

My first thought was that the car in the commercial might be the 'sports' version, and the car pulled down from the Nissan site might be the 'premium' version. But both cars seem to have 'PLATINUM' on the right side of the rear. I would expect the sports version to have a different nomenclature on the rear. It will be interesting to see how this versions/options thing plays out.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 AM

I am having a little difficulty nailing things down. The red car we saw in the commercial (night view by lamplight made it look maroon - Nissan will NOT be painting a Maxima maroon) has asymetrical (sporty) wheels, and a spoiler on the back. But the well-lit red car someone pulled down from the Nissan site showed more conservative symetrical wheels, no spoiler, and a double-panel roof.

My first thought was that the car in the commercial might be the 'sports' version, and the car pulled down from the Nissan site might be the 'premium' version. But both cars seem to have 'PLATINUM' on the right side of the rear. I would expect the sports version to have a different nomenclature on the rear. It will be interesting to see how this versions/options thing plays out.
Yes LOTH, I noticed that too. Those rims on the SB XLIX commercial were taken from the current Pathfinder Platinum model. These wheels on the NissanUSA site could be a stepdown package. Which wheels were used on the interior leak photos earlier in the thread?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Maxima
Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 AM

Also, the car in the commercial has a flat, rear deck spoiler. The red car in the promotional photos doesn't.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by jpiarull
Yes LOTH, I noticed that too. Those rims on the SB XLIX commercial were taken from the current Pathfinder Platinum model. These wheels on the NissanUSA site could be a stepdown package. Which wheels were used on the interior leak photos earlier in the thread?

the leak photos show asymmetrical wheels, similar (if not identical) to the SB commercial. I was also happy to see the rear proximity sensors on the leak photos. So at least this will be coming back from 6th gen.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
the leak photos show asymmetrical wheels, similar (if not identical) to the SB commercial. I was also happy to see the rear proximity sensors on the leak photos. So at least this will be coming back from 6th gen.
The proximity sensors are interesting. Those are 'active' instruments that audibly alert the driver whether he is paying attention or not, while the backup camera (which I understand will be required on all cars within the next year or so) are 'passive' instruments that may or may not be looked at by the driver. In the past, it was unusual to have both proximity sensors and backup cameras on the same vehicle. But we have both on the 8th gen. This is probably just another indicator that this 8th gen will be technologically loaded.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jpiarull

My first thought was the Nissan site vehicle wheels might be a stepdown, but then that car was loaded, including the double-panel roof, so I doubt if the wheels were a stepdown. Maybe they are wheels for the 'premium' package? I certainly prefer those symetrical wheels over the asymetrical wheels on the superbowl ad car wheels.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM

The '16 Maxima will be available in an "SR" sporty appearance trim much in the way the Note and Sentra are available as SR models. All told there will be five trim levels, S, SV, SL, SR and Platinum.

As for Nissan "not painting a Maxima maroon"...umm...Midnight Garnett much? LOL. Crimson Black also comes pretty close. The car in the commercial was likely Bordeaux Black as that will be an available color on the '16 Maxima.

This is what it looks like on a JUKE:

So yes, Nissan will be building "maroon" Maximas.

FWIW, I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Max in Deep Blue Pearl which is the same blue available on the R35 GT-R as well as Storm Blue which up until now has been a color reserved specifically for the Altima.

As for the wheels, the Platinum is available with an optional wheel design which is what I'm guessing we all saw on the one in the commercial. My guess is that the red car from the official photos is rolling on the standard wheels.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:44 PM

Also, the car in the commercial has a flat, rear deck spoiler. The red car in the promotional photos doesn't.
Which was why my first instinct was to say 'spoiler means the Sport version and spoilerless with double-panel roof means Premium.' But then they both have 'PLATINUM' on the rear. Unless there are TWO levels of sport (platinum and a lower level) and TWO levels of premium (platinum and a lower level), I am confused. But, at my age, I suppose I am supposed to be confused. We will certainly find out everything in a month or so.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
The '16 Maxima will be available in an "SR" sporty appearance trim much in the way the Note and Sentra are available as SR models. All told there will be five trim levels, S, SV, SL, SR and Platinum.

As for Nissan "not painting a Maxima maroon"...umm...Midnight Garnett much? LOL. Crimson Black also comes pretty close. The car in the commercial was likely Bordeaux Black as that will be an available color on the '16 Maxima.

This is what it looks like on a JUKE:

So yes, Nissan will be building "maroon" Maximas.

FWIW, I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Max in Deep Blue Pearl which is the same blue available on the R35 GT-R as well as Storm Blue which up until now has been a color reserved specifically for the Altima.

As for the wheels, the Platinum is available with an optional wheel design which is what I'm guessing we all saw on the one in the commercial. My guess is that the red car from the official photos is rolling on the standard wheels.

OK Bruddahmanmatt, my denial of maroon Maximas worked. You have now revealed what I strongly suspected from your earlier post. You are truly an 'insider', which is what we have been needing on this board. It is very interesting to see that the 8th gen will have FIVE trim levels. Nissan is taking this 8th gen very seriously.

I wont bother to argue that Bordeaux Black and Midnight Garnet are much nicer colors than maroon. That is no longer important. What is important are the specs and power train on the 8th gen. What can you tell us without being imprisoned by Nissan? Even hints and clues are better than knowing nothing. Any help from a 'Bruddah'?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:59 PM

Bordeaux Black sounds suspiciously like Malbec Black, which Nissan introduced in 2011 with their Infiniti IPL Coupe. In the right light, damn car looked purple.

Cars shouldn't be purple. That's just wrong. (LOL)

Old 02-25-2015, 02:05 PM

Bordeaux Black sounds suspiciously like Malbec Black, which Nissan introduced in 2011 with their Infiniti IPL Coupe. In the right light, damn car looked purple.

Bordeaux Black (GAB), Malbec Black (GAC) and Crimson Black (GAD) are all pretty close to one another on the Nissan hue chart, they even share similar paint codes.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 PM

I think purple looked ok on the Neon, and not bad on the last Yugo I saw. But I won't be buying my 8th gen in either bordeaux black or midnight garnet, as those colors do seem to have a maroon/purple look in some lighting situations at night. And maroon/purple is not a good Maxima color.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:14 PM

Bordeaux Black (GAB), Malbec Black (GAC) and Crimson Black (GAD) are all pretty close to one another on the Nissan hue chart, they even share similar paint codes.
Ummm. Knows the Nissan paint codes too. We may be sitting on a gold mine here. If you posted a certain number here with NO accompaning words of any sort, you could not be accused of revealing the HP of a certain upcoming generation of a very nice car from a popular manufacturer. You could easily reach 'most revered poster' status in record time.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:33 PM

I'm concerned about the center console display not being shrouded like the 7th gen. The shroud really makes a difference in readability.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM

Ummm. Knows the Nissan paint codes too.
Oh come on, like you don't know your paint code. Who doesn't know their paint code?

I'm QAA.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 PM

FWIW the new shade of red shown in the press photos is called "Coulis Red", the brown color from the spy shots meanwhile is called "Forged Bronze". The '16 Max will be available in nine different exterior colors and three different interior colors.

Last edited by bruddahmanmatt; 02-25-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 PM

Oh come on, like you don't know your paint code. Who doesn't know their paint code?

I'm QAA.
Again, I worded my post poorly. The color codes are in every Nissan brochure for every Nissan vehicle, and on the Nissan site as well. I was meaning that bruddah knew WHICH colors the 8th gen Maxima would be available in, and I had not seen that posted anywhere. He also knows how many interior and exterior colors we will have to choose from. Normally, the Maxima is available in 8 exterior colors, but the 8th gen will have 9 choices.

I am happy that the sedate colors of the 7th gen are being supplemented with a few more vibrant colors.

Now if only we can find out some of the power train specs and option packages. Little by little, we are gleaning data on this 8th gen.

ps - Maybe the 9th color is that 'strad amber' of the concept vehicle, and maybe that color is an 'intro' color which will be available only the first few months, as happened with the intro of the 6th gen 2004.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-25-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 PM

Thanks to the kindness of bruddahmanmatt, we now pretty much have the color palate for the 2016 Maxima:

Bordeaux Black (the color of the car in the super bowl ad which looked sort of maroony)

Deep Blue Pearl (as on the R35 GT-R)

Coulis Red (the vibrant red on the car shown on the Nissan site)

Forged Bronze (the color of the cars in the spy photos)

We should be able to assume these four:

White

Black

Silver

Gray

Which leaves one more color - maybe the Strad Amber of the concept sedan.

Again, thanks to buddahmanmatt for his most interesting info.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:42 PM

Thanks Bruddahman! Any hints about the tranny...CVT or nah?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:07 AM

Again, I worded my post poorly. The color codes are in every Nissan brochure for every Nissan vehicle, and on the Nissan site as well. I was meaning that bruddah knew WHICH colors the 8th gen Maxima would be available in, and I had not seen that posted anywhere. He also knows how many interior and exterior colors we will have to choose from. Normally, the Maxima is available in 8 exterior colors, but the 8th gen will have 9 choices.
Getting too old to know when you're being teased.

Clearly, Bruddahman has access to info that hasn't made it's way into auto news yet. That's pretty cool. Now if he could just dish the details on the Q60, I'd be super impressed.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:31 AM

CAT forged bronze
GAB bordeaux black
KAD gun metallic
KH3 super black
K23 brilliant silver
NAW coulis red
QAB pearl white
RAY deep blue pearl
RBD storm blue

Interior Color
C cashmere
G charcoal
P camel

CVT all the way around. No word on an alternative powertrain yet unlike the Murano which is slated to get HEV variants of the SL AWD and the Platinum FWD and Platinum AWD.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Appreciate your willingness to contribute bruddah!

Looks like it will be between KH3, GAB, RAY and CAT for me!!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 PM

Not feeling those interior color schemes. I'd like the mocha that's available on the new Murano.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:18 PM

All I want is a gun metallic exterior, charcoal interior, AWD, NISMO! Holding out hope that this will be available!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by phattyaltnatl
Thanks Bruddahman! Any hints about the tranny...CVT or nah?
This thread is about photos and I suppose colors (seems appropriate). You should really follow this thread for more detailed info.
https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...mors-more.html

I already stated the following:

- Revised 3.5L over 300hp (not sure on exact number)
- Revised CVT, new D-Step programming with paddle shifters (not in all trims)
- FWD only (next gen Altima will get AWD, not sure if Maxima will follow)
- Standard & Sport modes
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
- FWD only (next gen Altima will get AWD, not sure if Maxima will follow)
- Standard & Sport modes
AWD 3.5L ALTIMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
'
Maxima go bye bye

Last edited by george__; 02-26-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:53 AM

CAT forged bronze
GAB bordeaux black
KAD gun metallic
KH3 super black
K23 brilliant silver
NAW coulis red
QAB pearl white
RAY deep blue pearl
RBD storm blue

Interior Color
C cashmere
G charcoal
P camel

CVT all the way around. No word on an alternative powertrain yet unlike the Murano which is slated to get HEV variants of the SL AWD and the Platinum FWD and Platinum AWD.

Excellent info. This means I can have my exterior color and interior color already picked out over a month before intro. That way, I can spend the time after intro deciding on exactly which version and which options I want. By the time 8th gens are arriving at dealers, I will know exactly what I will be buying.

Also, this color list enables me to visualize exactly how this beauty will look in my garage, on my driveway, at every business I frequent, and on the road to wonderful vacations.

I have already narrowed the exterior color to either CAT, KAD, K23, NAW or QAB.

Still hoping Nissan may slip in Strad Amber, even if only for a month or two as an 'intro' color.

Thanks for all this great info, buddahmanmatt.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-27-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 02-27-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
How does this look like a Kia? Why are people reducing this car to a Kia? Can someone, anyone, post side, rear, and frontals of the new Max and whatever Kia they are comparing this to? I would really like to see what other eyes are seeing.
Kia Optimus
Old 02-28-2015, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by george__
Kia Optimus

george - I think you mean Optima, not Optimus. I just went back and checked again, and I still do not see any strong resemblamce between the Optima and the new Maxima. The Optima has fairly plain sides, while the new Maxima has a lot of sculpting. The Optima has a very plain grille, while the Maxima is anything but plain. I much prefer the Maxima styling over the Optima. I see Optimas on the road, and have never been greatly impressed, probably partly because they are in the Accord/Camry/Altima class ($21K - $35K), while the Maxima is in the $32K to $42K area. Also, the Optima never came onto my radar because it does not get as good ratings from Consumer Reports as its cousin, the Hyundai Sonata.

In fact, from my viewpoint, the Optima actually has a closer resemblance to the 7th gen Maxima than to the 8th gen, and that is mostly because of the double-panel roof Kia copied from Maxima, which Nissan designed in 2006 for the 7th gen, early test versions of which were built in spring and summer of 2007, which began testing in fall of 2007, was introduced in winter of 2007/8, and was released to dealers June 26, 2008 as the 2009 7th gen.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-28-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehiI definitely l
george - I think you mean Optima, not Optimus. I just went back and checked again, and I still do not see any strong resemblamce between the Optima and the new Maxima. The Optima has fairly plain sides, while the new Maxima has a lot of sculpting. The Optima has a very plain grille, while the Maxima is anything but plain. I much prefer the Maxima styling over the Optima. I see Optimas on the road, and have never been greatly impressed, probably partly because they are in the Accord/Camry/Altima class ($21K - $35K), while the Maxima is in the $32K to $42K area. Also, the Optima never came onto my radar because it does not get as good ratings from Consumer Reports as its cousin, the Hyundai Sonata.

In fact, from my viewpoint, the Optima actually has a closer resemblance to the 7th gen Maxima than to the 8th gen, and that is mostly because of the double-panel roof Kia copied from Maxima, which Nissan designed in 2006 for the 7th gen, early test versions of which were built in spring and summer of 2007, which began testing in fall of 2007, was introduced in winter of 2007/8, and was released to dealers June 26, 2008 as the 2009 7th gen.
Nice write up, and definitely see where the 7th gen looks closer to.the optima, mainly because Kia did imitate it on purpose. The 8th gen looks very muscular and athletic, which the 7th was missing some of that.

I am pretty much sold on the 8th gen and it will be my first maxima, as it is the first one that has appealed to me. I just always got the altima because the maximas never really seemed with the extra until now.

I won't start saving my money until I can see it in gun metal, lol, but have no doubts I will still be in love with it.

Last edited by NissanFreak2000; 02-28-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by a-b-c
I like this car as a whole, but the front overhang is a little too much for me. Will just have to see it in person to get a more accurate representation of it.

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima official release photos