8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima official release photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Interestingly enough, I like the look of this from almost every angle, but this one... argh. Something about the rear half. Maybe in person I'll like it better.

Thanks for the pics, 02pearlmax.
the rear half quater panel area is so KIA ish!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Got Retrofit?

I wonder what Stillen is going to do with these things body wise.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:13 PM

Just a note... I know with other cars there were problems to the point where people simply stop modding the grill area because of sensors for cruise control getting effected etc. There are probably sensors for the braking in the grill I assume.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
Just a note... I know with other cars there were problems to the point where people simply stop modding the grill area because of sensors for cruise control getting effected etc. There are probably sensors for the braking in the grill I assume.
Now that the subject has been brought up, I would assume there would be sensors for braking if we are closing on the car ahead too fast, sensors for the adaptive cruise control system (automatically adjusting spped to match traffic ahead while on cruise control), sensors to paint the frontal portion for the overhead 'all-around' view, etc. I don't know where the lane departure sensors are, but most of the things I listed would require sensors at the front of the car, either in the bumper or grille. I guess I will need to be very careful when modding.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
the rear half quater panel area is so KIA ish!
Massive rear overhand and bulked up rear quarter panel gives a "fat ***" impression.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
Massive rear overhand and bulked up rear quarter panel gives a "fat ***" impression.
I already have thoughts of painting/covering the lower rear panel (through which the exhaust tips run) black. That would definitely take some 'bulk' off the rear appearance for light-colored cars. Could help with medium-colored cars, but would do nothing for black cars.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I already have thoughts of painting/covering the lower rear panel (through which the exhaust tips run) black. That would definitely take some 'bulk' off the rear appearance for light-colored cars. Could help with medium-colored cars, but would do nothing for black cars.
Pretty sure anyone that buys an SR with the optional rear spoiler will get that panel blacked out. I have seen them blacked out on cars with the spoiler. (which is also black)
Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Pretty sure anyone that buys an SR with the optional rear spoiler will get that panel blacked out. I have seen them blacked out on cars with the spoiler. (which is also black)
This certainly gets interesting. In post 573 of this thread (page 15), there is a photo of a white Platinum 8th gen Maxima with a spoiler. The lower rear valence is clearly blacked out. And in post 651 of this thread (page 17), there is a photo of a gunmetal SR (we can tell by the wheels) and the lower rear valence is NOT blacked out.

Maybe the blacked out valence is associated with the spoiler regardless of model level. Or maybe we can't yet tell a thing, because we have seen several photos of new Maximas with the word 'Platinum' very clear on the back, yet they are running with what are clearly SR wheels and tires.

I think Nissan has been trying a lot of things during these past few months, and when they had to nail down everything so they could set up a site where folks could 'early order', they just finally made decisions on what they would make, and closed the option door.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:58 AM

This certainly gets interesting. In post 573 of this thread (page 15), there is a photo of a white Platinum 8th gen Maxima with a spoiler. The lower rear valence is clearly blacked out. And in post 651 of this thread (page 17), there is a photo of a gunmetal SR (we can tell by the wheels) and the lower rear valence is NOT blacked out.
I notice that too. I can't think of a manufacturer or car where the rear diffuser area has optional trim. It's either one way or the other.

Regardless, it looks better blacked out. On most cars, for that matter.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:13 AM

I am happy with the result. I dislike the fact that you can't get the camel Ascot leather and paddle shifters on the platinum edition but overall the value trumps everything and the look of the car (especially Pearl White with black panoramic roof :-)) makes up for the lacking of the aforementioned features. I love the inclusion of the safety features (especially since consumer reports gave it a 'marginal' rating for former years) as this will definitely boost the safety impression. It is still reminiscent of the 7th gen in some ways to me and I guess many magazines and websites will finally get it right about being a full-size car. I was really considering purchasing a Q70 next year but I just may stay loyal and get a 2017 Maxima instead.

Consumer Reports Short Review:

Old 04-19-2015, 05:26 AM

I frequently ride in my daughter's 2015 Mazda 6, which she loves. There may be a styling cue that has some similarity, but the Mazda 6 and the 8th gen Maxima have nothing really in common. They are aimed at totally different audiences and totally different price ranges. The Maxima has well over 100 more HP than the most powerful Mazda 6 engine, a far more refined and attractive interior, and there are options and features on the Maxima that are not available at any price on the Mazda 6. 'Everyman's car' vs near-luxury.

I watched around seven test drives of the 8th gen Maxima and three test drives of the 2015 Mazda 6 online earlier this morning, and I did not really see any similarity between these two vehicles, except very briefly from one side view. Both are good vehicles that serve their purposes, which could not be much further apart.
I couldn't agree more @lightonthehill. Someone finally sees what I see. I know people were referring to the Maxima looking like the 6 probably because of the lines (KODO design vs flowing lines + V-motion) but I see the 6 lines more reminiscent of the Charger around the fenders and they seem abrupt and incomplete whereas the Maxima's seem very elongated, fluid, and dynamic (more reminiscent of Infiniti). I don't see any resemblance and I like the fact that they push the envelope. I mentioned before about uniqueniss and I think they nailed it. It's about artistic design and I would definitely purchase this 'living painting.'
Old 04-19-2015, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I dislike the fact that you can't get ... paddle shifters on the platinum edition
That's like saying you dislike the fact that Santa Claus uses reindeer for his sleigh, instead of a jet engine.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-20-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM

Lets see how you guys feel about this one the 8th gens next big announcement!!

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/201...-wagon-in.html
Old 04-20-2015, 08:09 PM

Chris - If you don't get as many responses here as one would expect, it isn't because we don't like you, but because this 8th gen Maxima wagon was presented here earlier in the first post on the 8th Gen Coupe thread.

Nissan could possibly consider an 8th gen Maxima wagon for parts of the world where wagons are popular, but the Maxima in those countries is not the same as our Maxima. This Maxima wagon has a slight resemblance to the old Volvo wagon that Inspector Wallander used to chase perps around Sweden in early episodes of the British mystery series.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 PM

lightonthehill Lol I probably didn't see it at first these days i'm logging in with a phone so hard to catch everything. I just wanna know why in the world would Nissan wanna make a station wagon are goats running this company or what?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
lightonthehill Lol I probably didn't see it at first these days i'm logging in with a phone so hard to catch everything. I just wanna know why in the world would Nissan wanna make a station wagon are goats running this company or what?
Nissan is not making an 8th gen Maxima station wagon. That station wagon picture was photoshopped. If Nissan did make a station wagon, it would not be based on the Maxima, which is now an upscale near-luxury sedan.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
That's a fan rendering, not even a little bit official.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 AM

Wagon + 4WD, that would persuade me to buy one.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:17 PM

Nissan begins production of eighth-generation Maxima “4-door Sports Car” in Tennessee

Nissan News -

April 21 2015

Nissan begins production of eighth-generation Maxima “4-door Sports Car” in Tennessee

For further information go to this URL

nissannews.com

Randy

Last edited by Randy; 04-21-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM

Not sure if I like the bulge of the rear lights. Makes me think they" botoxed" them!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:04 PM

what's the "driver attention" alert ? it's on the display @ny autoshow picture above.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:30 PM

BluFlame
Go to this link for full explanation of Driver Attention Alert

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...m?page=3&query

Randy
Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Randy
Nissan News -

April 21 2015

For further information go to this URL

nissannews.com

Randy

Nice catch, Randy.

Actually, 8th gen Maximas have been coming down the Smyrna assembly line for many months, but in very limited numbers. We have been seeing camouflaged 8th gen Maximas flitting around the country since last fall. But the assembly line is now producing 8th gen Maximas in greater numbers, has to have hundreds ready next month to ship to dealers for prep and delivery to those who ordered early, etc, and the official release to dealers is only around two months away. That means it is time to bring in the press, the governor, etc, etc, and have a big official show-off in order to whet the appetites of those who might be interested in the Maxima, but have not been keeping up with the approaching release of this new 8th gen.

But be assured there are already hundreds, perhaps over a thousand, 8th gen Maximas already sitting in the northeast lot behind the assembly plant. Once delivery to dealers begins, there will be hundreds of dealers anxious for 8th gen Maximas to sell while folks are still paying MSRP, which doesn't last long.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-21-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM

lightonthehill

Just like you I will wait until they are no longer selling them at MSRP. Actually my lease is up around October. I know the dealer I work with will try and buy me out of my lease
sooner then October. Nissan usally will eat the last 3 month's. Just don't know if they can get me in to a 2016 Platiumin at the same lease like i have now.

Randy
Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
lightonthehill

Just like you I will wait until they are no longer selling them at MSRP. Actually my lease is up around October. I know the dealer I work with will try and buy me out of my lease
sooner then October. Nissan usally will eat the last 3 month's. Just don't know if they can get me in to a 2016 Platiumin at the same lease like i have now.

Randy
What I always avoid is that first month, when the dealer packs the car to the hilt, with his add-on sticker (added on to the MSRP) including such things as rustproofing, applying 'protectant' to the upholstery, locking lug nuts, paint protectant, nitrogen in the tires, etc, etc, etc. A car with an MSRP around $39,600 suddenly has a 'drive-out' price around $42,900 plus tag, tax, title, etc.

I won't even try to discuss a deal the first month or so, because my offer (which I email to the internet manager) is calculated from invoice, not MSRP, and accounts for holdback, dealer advertising costs, etc. His profit should not be $5K. Since he knows I will be getting ALL my scheduled maintenance and service at his facility, he will eventually give me the deal I want, which will give him a profit under $1K.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:46 AM

I am with you both, Randy and Light. I will fight the temptation to buy early and wait until my current lease is up in November. At least that is what I say now. Once I see a platinum with all the bells and whistles, it will be a tough fight.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:01 AM

What I always avoid is that first month, when the dealer packs the car to the hilt, with his add-on sticker (added on to the MSRP) including such things as rustproofing, applying 'protectant' to the upholstery, locking lug nuts, paint protectant, nitrogen in the tires, etc, etc, etc. A car with an MSRP around $39,600 suddenly has a 'drive-out' price around $42,900 plus tag, tax, title, etc.

I won't even try to discuss a deal the first month or so, because my offer (which I email to the internet manager) is calculated from invoice, not MSRP, and accounts for holdback, dealer advertising costs, etc. His profit should not be $5K. Since he knows I will be getting ALL my scheduled maintenance and service at his facility, he will eventually give me the deal I want, which will give him a profit under $1K.
I never buy a car as soon as it comes out, no matter how much I want it,lol! You seem to have many years of negotiating internet pricing. I have wanted to do this as I hate going back and forth in the dealership trying to get a good price. So if you wouldn't mind, maybe you could help me make a respectable internet price when I decide to buy.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 AM

In production...

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/22/2...tion-official/
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Something close to this article was posted on another thread here yesterday, but the photo in that one showed the governor and bigwigs. This photo shows a silver Maxima, and I really like the silver. I think it goes well with all the blacked out things on this car. Among the Maximas I have owned, four were silver, and I may be headed back in that direction.

As to the 'into production' theme, that is the standard ceremony usually held around two months before a new Maxima arrives at dealers. It gives the bigwigs (especially local politicians) a chance to strut their stuff, and gives good publicity shortly before the car will be available to the public. There are already hundreds of 8th gen Maximas on the northeast lot behind the factory in Smyrna. The first ones came down the line around eight months ago, and we saw them racing around the country in camo last fall, being tested before the flood gates were opened on the assembly line. We have also seen photos taken around Christmas (decorations in view) of 8th gen Maximas in folks driveways. Presumably, those were higher echelon folks with Nissan.

The problem now is holding off from buying until dealers begin slowing down the gouging so prevalent the first month or so.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-22-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 PM

The problem now is holding off from buying until dealers begin slowing down the gouging so prevalent the first month or so.
IIRC, that wasn't the way of it for the new 7th Gen. No gouging, just eager to make a sale... any sale. Then again, that was right on the heels of the recession in full swing.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
I never buy a car as soon as it comes out, no matter how much I want it,lol! You seem to have many years of negotiating internet pricing. I have wanted to do this as I hate going back and forth in the dealership trying to get a good price. So if you wouldn't mind, maybe you could help me make a respectable internet price when I decide to buy.
That may be three or four months away, and will vary based on how soon after intro, area of the country and individual dealers, but I have a feeling you are not thinking of buying before then. In addition to whatever help I can give you, there are sites on the internet that give what are supposedly the 'correct' price to offer for a car; a price that gives the dealer a small profit, is calculating from invoice, and saves the buyer from overpaying.

In the meantime, it will be fun planning ecactly what vehicle we want, what accessories we might add, and what mods we might be trying.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
IIRC, that wasn't the way of it for the new 7th Gen. No gouging, just eager to make a sale... any sale. Then again, that was right on the heels of the recession in full swing.
I do seem to recall coming close to buying in July of 2008 (the first 7th gens went on sale June 26, 2008) at a very decent price, but before the internet manager could check out the final details of my offer (a four page thing), the car I wanted was sold. I was extrememly specific in exactly what I wanted, so it was months before I again found what I wanted. By that time, the recession was in full swing, and dealing was easy.

Surprisingly, I had trouble reaching a good deal on my 2004 SL. For some reason, 2004 Maximas sold well. They arrived early, had a long sales year, and sold almost 132K copies, which is very good for the Maxima. Worked out, because, before I bought, Nissan switched the SL from an old 4 speed auto to a new 5 speed auto.

I was able to work out a very good deal on my 2000 SE in July 1999, just a month after they arrived at dealers. I may try this again this July, and maybe the dealer will consider that I have been very loyal to them, get all maintenance, service, tires, batteries, etc, there, and deal early.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-22-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM

Something close to this article was posted on another thread here yesterday, but the photo in that one showed the governor and bigwigs. This photo shows a silver Maxima, and I really like the silver. I think it goes well with all the blacked out things on this car. Among the Maximas I have owned, four were silver, and I may be headed back in that direction.
Silver is definitely in the running for me, probably 2nd choice, but gunmetal is barely holding its #1 position for me, lol. Don't think I will be able to decide until I can see them side by side in person or pics.

Last edited by NissanFreak2000; 04-22-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
Silver is definitely in the running for me, probably 2nd choice, but gunmetal is barely holding its #1 position for me, lol. Don't think I will be able to decide until I can see them side by side in person or pics.
Gunmetal is especially good looking on this car. If I lived up north, that might be my choice. But in the heat of the deep south, I will probably decide between white and silver. Like you, I must see them in person before making a decision.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Gunmetal is especially good looking on this car. If I lived up north, that might be my choice. But in the heat of the deep south, I will probably decide between white and silver. Like you, I must see them in person before making a decision.
LOL, trust me I know about the heat. Texas gets pretty hot, but dark tints will help with that.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 PM

The first ones came down the line around eight months ago, and we saw them racing around the country in camo last fall, being tested before the flood gates were opened on the assembly line. We have also seen photos taken around Christmas (decorations in view) of 8th gen Maximas in folks driveways. Presumably, those were higher echelon folks with Nissan.
Pre-production cars.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 AM

folks here
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Pre-production cars.
Yes, those were definitely pre-production cars, and had combinations of wheels, spoilers, blackened valences, etc, that are not available with the current production cars. A Nissan rep (IIRC, it was at the Mesquite TX showing) said the pre-production 8th gen Maximas would never be sold, but would be turned to scrap. That sounded rather severe to me.

I doubt if official production cars were produced before late February or early March, and only in limited numbers until a few weeks ago. The '04 6th gen I almost bought in July of 2003 had an assembly date inside the door of January, 2003. That was the first month regular production Maximas were assembled in the U.S. Those '04s did not begin arriving at dealers until March, 2003. Those folks here who ordered their 8th gens early are supposed to get them June 2nd.

That means they need to be shipped by mid-May in order to travel by train/truck to the dealers, have all shipping protection removed, parts that come in a plastic bag attached to the car, a thorough cleaning and checking of all fluids, alignment, tire pressure, etc, and be ready for pick-up June 2nd. My dealer has a plush room where the car is delivered to the buyer in a special ceremony with lots of staff smiling and clapping. I could do without that.

I do not have the nerve to order a new car before I even see one in person. They always look slightly different in person. Colors also can look different in person. I don't have to see the same car I am buying, but at least see one virtually like the one I am buying, and certainly see one the same color.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-23-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 AM

Yes, those were definitely pre-production cars, and had combinations of wheels, spoilers, blackened valences, etc, that are not available with the current production cars. A Nissan rep (IIRC, it was at the Mesquite TX showing) said the pre-production 8th gen Maximas would never be sold, but would be turned to scrap. That sounded rather severe to me.
Such is the life of a test car unfortunately. You wouldn't want to buy one anyway when Nissan is finished with it.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 AM

The build date on the one I saw, like the one MaxSleeper saw, was 3/15.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 AM

Autoblog review, with plenty of photos:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/03/2...-review-video/

It's a tepid review. Clearly the writer wanted to be excited, but couldn't find it within himself. For all it's visual design elements, apparently the 8th Gen is a pretty boring car. And while I'm not entirely surprised by that, it's still disappointing.

And it seems they used a 4DSC graphic design which is strikingly similar to what I came up with 6 years ago, when Ed was cutting and selling them here on the Org (and myG37.com). Granted, mine was a derivative work to begin with, and there are only so many different ways you can tweak the design. Still... what a coincidence. Kind of nice to see my idea validated all these years later.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-03-2015 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima official release photos