8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Recommendations for roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 12:18 PM

Recommendations for roof rack?

Any recommendations for a roof rack that will fit on a '17 Maxima Platinum with a panoramic roof? My old Thule rack that fit on my '97 Max did not fit the '17.

I want to put my two Thule bicycle carriers on it.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:40 PM

I wouldn’t put anything on that glass roof.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:52 AM

Maxcar is right! The shifting weight due to wind and road speed will crack if not break the glass sunroof. Wrong car to use.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Easy To Add Roof Rack

Roof rack is not supported on glass. It is supported on the side frame. All brands make it for this car.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:04 PM

Welcome to the forum, CNTD4. I forgot all about this post. Can you tell me what brand are your brackets? It's too small to see in your photos.

I found that when I fold down the rear seat and take the front wheel off (it has quick release), I can fit the bike in the trunk. It's not ideal, but it allows me to transport the bike to paths in my area.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you….

Originally Posted by aprete
Welcome to the forum, CNTD4. I forgot all about this post. Can you tell me what brand are your brackets? It's too small to see in your photos.

I found that when I fold down the rear seat and take the front wheel off (it has quick release), I can fit the bike in the trunk. It's not ideal, but it allows me to transport the bike to paths in my area.
Thank you for the welcome. I used to take off the front tire and fit the bike in between the front seats and the back seats. If I move the passenger front seat up a little, it fit fine. I was in danger of ripping the leather seats, and it was too much of a hassle taking off tires and moving stuff.

The cross bars are Rhino Rack (Thule makes some as well). The bike trays are Thule. You may want to make sure you buy the trays that allow transport with the front tire on. Taking off the front tire to mount on tray becomes a hassle. I bought all the roof rack pieces in parts on Craigslist and FB marketplace. You just have to make sure you buy the crossbar feet that go with the Maxima. I purchased the feet directly from Rhino Rack. Made everything so much easier. I highly recommend. Best of luck! Good riding! 🙂

Last edited by cntd4; 02-26-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Family wanted to go on an unexpected day trip since they all have hardtail bikes now. A vehicle bike rack with all the necessary straps is being sold nearby, but the bar only has three sponge pieces for the bike frames to rest on and no other means of holding them to the rack's forks. What do people use, and should there be more straps on the rack for securing bikes? We've never used a bike rack before, but I've seen a couple that look like this.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Beiz_A_ya
Family wanted to go on an unexpected day trip since they all have hardtail bikes now. A vehicle bike rack with all the necessary straps is being sold nearby, but the bar only has three sponge pieces for the bike frames to rest on and no other means of holding them to the rack's forks. What do people use, and should there be more straps on the rack for securing bikes? We've never used a bike rack before, but I've seen a couple that look like this.
Chuck the roof rack and get a trailer hitch-mounted bike rack. There is just too much downside to breaking that $3000 plus sunroof.