8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SL test drive and thoughts

Old 06-26-2015, 08:03 AM

2016 Maxima SL test drive and thoughts

So, being an owner of a 2012 Maxima w/Sport pkg, i was pretty excited to check out the new Maxima. Also, i should add that i'm also the owner of a 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Tech, which i see in alot of reviews that the Maxima is directly compared against.

So i felt it my duty to give an unbiased opinion on the Maxima, especiall becuase I have a 2012 Max and the competetion TLX.

First impression, car looks stunning. Fit and finnish is immaculate. Interior is what really shines. Nice leather, soft touch everywhere, great steering wheel, there is just soo much good going on here compared to my 7th gen Max. The cockpit layout and center console design does make it a snug fit, so larger people may have a tough time. I can really feel the differences they made with the CVT. CVT is very responsive, does not drone and lag like the 7th gen, and power is instant. It does feel quite a bit quicker thant the 7th gen.

Now the bad, and there really isn't much bad about the car. But there are two things i can't get past. First of all, for me i don't really notice much difference between the Normal mode and Sport mode. No suspension difference, and i didn't get that noticeable difference i would expect from sport mode. The biggest gripe i have, is the steering. Very percise, however way to light for my liking. And as mentioned, no difference between Normal & Sport regarding the steering. The 7th gen i have, may not be as percise, but it's definatley got more weight, and still handles very well. Switching the modes in my TLX, changes the throttle, suspension, and steering feel. I wish the Maxima did the same.

So final thought are, for the price point, it's a great car. It is an upgrade form the 7th gen for sure, love the interior, quality is amazing, and driving performance is great, but let down by it's steering. I think the TLX has the advantage on the steering and handling aspect, but i give interior to Maxima for sure. Here in Canada, the SL is $38,000 which i think is fair for this car, but based on what i feel, i wouldn't step up to the SR or Platnium which would top out at $43k canadian for this car. That's where there are better options available at this price, like my TLX SH-AWD Tech which was $43k, or the Infiniti Q50 which is a tick over $43k nicely equipped.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:36 PM

Nice review. I'm yet to drive it. Can't wait.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:07 PM
cnp

Another data point/review on the SL (Gunmetal/Cashmere in this case):

An excellent blend of sportiness and luxury in a 4 door platform, with the latest safety and tech gadgetry.

Exterior - a very subjective thing, of course, but the styling looks sleek, better in person. I'm in the camp that likes the floating roof effect. The car definitely does not look full size like an Avalon or Impala, but more in the mid size sedan category. Front emblem a bit too bold - will prob subdue down the line with paint. All panel and door seams are straight.

Interior - Nice leather, stitching, non-leather materials (except don't like plastic 'razor' silver trim pieces - will apply carbon fiber 3M vinyl or something else down the road). Feels on par with some luxury cars. Excellent layout of gauges, like the cockpit feel with driver angled vertical console stack/display, high center console. Easy to reach all *****, controls. At 6'2", plenty of ceiling clearance with seat all the way down. Back seat - no way, have to tilt my head. Cashmere interior will show dirt easier - some yesterday after hauling party supplies, cleaned easily with damp cloth. Seats - very comfortable. Decent bolstering (and hit some turns hard), relatively soft centers. Gauges at night all lit well, fully adjustable screen brightness. Many redundant options for controlling functions on screen - touch (pinch, swipe), display side buttons, steering wheel buttons, or commander **** on center console.

Drive - decent acceleration, with a throaty growl. Zero to 60 brisk, on par with my 2004 Acura TL. But in cruise, is quiet. I pushed it hard in a series of turns, held up quite well. Overall ride is a nice blend between firm for sportiness but not where you feel every road crack, and soft for comfort. Road noise from tires, wind fairly subdued (would love to turn off ANC to hear how different). The CVT is wonderful - I was leery after driving my beloved '04 TL 6 speed manual for 11 years, but this transmission is quite responsive, smooth. Sport mode adds nothing for me - to feel shift points not necessary. A very responsive transmission is - and this is a nice package. I anticipate standard automatics are going to go to pasture over the next 10-15 years or so - certainly CVT market share is climbing.

Overall, this car fits my mission well of a well engineered, reliable blend of luxury and sportiness (opposing characteristics to execute). It is neither fully, but an excellent hybrid. Very happy with this vehicle.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM

Rear visibility?

I am curious about what the experience has been with rear visibility. I haven't driven the 2016 Max yet; but considering the slope of the back window and what appear to be shorter back side windows, I'm guessing viewing what's behind you might be more difficult than in the 7th gen. Would appreciate your comments-
Old 06-28-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Max2013
I am curious about what the experience has been with rear visibility. I haven't driven the 2016 Max yet; but considering the slope of the back window and what appear to be shorter back side windows, I'm guessing viewing what's behind you might be more difficult than in the 7th gen. Would appreciate your comments-
The view to the rear is not very good in most modern cars if we are trying to 'eyeball' it. That is very true of the 8th gen Maxima. We must become familiar with full dependence on technology. I have made extensive use of my rear view camera, inside mirror, outside mirrors, etc, in my 7th gen. The 8th gen adds sonar on the rear and radar and camera (maybe not on all versions?) on both sides of the rear. That is fine with me, as my ancient neck won't turn like it did back in the 1940s.

As cars that drive themselves arrive on the scene, the view to the rear will gradually become entirely electronic, with 'eyeball viewing' a thing of the past.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 AM
cnp

Well, it's not too bad, but after driving quite a few cars, lot's of rentals, it doesn't seem much different than much else, nor transitioning from my Acura TL. I have a tree right on the edge of my uphill driveway that needs to be watched backing up - I am finding myself using the the backup camera more and more as I begin to trust it - it's pretty accurate with both the distance markers and the predictive lines that curve with your steering. Plus, add the corner sonar that alerts in color (and audible) whether a few feet or closer than around 1.5 feet (goes orange to red, IIRC). Overall, I'm not feeling any handicap with this car vs others driven.

Originally Posted by Max2013