8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

As a 2011 SV Owner, I Hate the New Body Style

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

As a 2011 SV Owner, I Hate the New Body Style

I visited Browns Nissan in Sterling VA early this morning before I went to work as I had received a brochure on the 2016 Maxima in the mail. They had 2 on the lot one in white and one in silver. Let me just state, that the new grill is nothing short of horrendous, I own a 2011 SV and that grill is subtle. There was also a line on the c pillar on both cars where the rear window meets the trunk which looks like cheap black plastic and the 2 models that I looked at did not even have body colored side mirrors.

Maybe I am being superficial here, but judging by the looks and the price if the new Max, I may be switching to Acura or Infiniti.

The new Maxima does nothing for me.

Last edited by Garster; 06-26-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM

okay, good-by
Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 PM

Understood. It happens. I was a huge Camaro fan and I just can't get over the 5th generation and how much I just don't like the style of it. Was disappointing but sometimes the change just isn't for you. I do agree about the grill, if they left the current maxima grill the car would have looked even more awesome cause the rest of the new maxima is way better looking IMO, especially the interior.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:09 AM

As a 2010 SV owner, the '16 makes my car (which I have loved) look absolutely boring.

Always subjective - no absolutes.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
As a 2010 SV owner, the '16 makes my car (which I have loved) look absolutely boring.

Always subjective - no absolutes.
I went to look at the two side by side at the dealership and that is the same conclusion that I came to.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:50 AM

This grille offers many possibilities for modding. Having said that, it has gradually grown on me, and I am now thinking of dropping the grille mod well down on my list. I will begin with such things as the black rear diffuser, discreet black fender well lip molding, painting the inside of the wheel wells black, subtle small black mud flaps on all four wheel wells (I always make and install them to keep the sides of the car clean, and nobody ever notices them, even if I ask them if they see anything added).

I loved my 7th gen style, and find this 8th gen styling even more robust and aggressive. It will grow in popularity fairly quickly.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-28-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 AM

I remember when they first released the 7th generation Maxima--- I hated it.
Fast forward several years and I'm the owner of a 2014 Maxima SV and I just love it!
The lesson to be learned here is that when a car is first released, we sometimes feel that the new design is not very inspiring because many times the new design shares many design characteristics with cars being put out by other manufacturers that year. Hence, you get comments like "it's rear end looks like a Hyundai"...
When the initial hubbub over the redesign dies down, that's when comparisons to other vehicles will stop and people will appreciate the car's design on its own rights...
Old 06-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Jrod28 - Your view is astute. The latest three redesigns of the Maxima have been around three to five years ahead of the curve. They actually look better as time passes. This 8th gen design is going to be more popular the third year of its existance than it is at intro.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:54 PM

Bottom line is every one is not going to like everything no matter of how much convincing you try because you like it personally........ ;-)
Old 06-29-2015, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Bottom line is every one is not going to like everything no matter of how much convincing you try because you like it personally........ ;-)
But I do find it interesting when the last three redesigns of the Maxima initially brought lots of dissention and criticism from posters, yet many of those same posters eventually decided they liked the new design.

No, not everybody has liked any of the last three Maxima redesigns. But after they have been out a few years, a lot more folks liked them than did at the time they were released. That tells me the redesigns were a little ahead of their time.

But you are correct that there will always be some folks who just do not like some car stylings. For instance, lots of folks bought the TLs with the big buck tooth in front, were perfectly happy with that tooth, and received very good service from those TLs. But I (and some others) never quite took to that tooth, and did not even consider looking further at the TL, which is actually a very reliable car and and fine performer.

EDIT - Yes, you are correct that, over the past 31 years, I have grown very fond of Maximas. Reliable, fun transportation tends to sway me.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-29-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trust me, many of us feel the same way. I have a 2014 Nissan Maxima SV and I couldn't even imagine getting a 2016 Maxima. The front of it is absolutely disgusting. I do however like the inside of the vehicle. The little upgrades inside (like seat temperature for BOTH driver and passenger, as well as the Display Screen & features) I reallyyyyyy like and wish I had on my car. But just outside appearance? Terrible. Oh....it also feels smaller inside in the back.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2014MaxSV
Trust me, many of us feel the same way. I have a 2014 Nissan Maxima SV and I couldn't even imagine getting a 2016 Maxima. The front of it is absolutely disgusting. I do however like the inside of the vehicle. The little upgrades inside (like seat temperature for BOTH driver and passenger, as well as the Display Screen & features) I reallyyyyyy like and wish I had on my car. But just outside appearance? Terrible. Oh....it also feels smaller inside in the back.
I'm with you brother, I'm still torn on wether I like the exterior or not. I do however love that new interior lay out. Fit, feel and look inside is something special.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
But I do find it interesting when the last three redesigns of the Maxima initially brought lots of dissention and criticism from posters, yet many of those same posters eventually decided they liked the new design.

No, not everybody has liked any of the last three Maxima redesigns. But after they have been out a few years, a lot more folks liked them than did at the time they were released. That tells me the redesigns were a little ahead of their time.

But you are correct that there will always be some folks who just do not like some car stylings. For instance, lots of folks bought the TLs with the big buck tooth in front, were perfectly happy with that tooth, and received very good service from those TLs. But I (and some others) never quite took to that tooth, and did not even consider looking further at the TL, which is actually a very reliable car and and fine performer.

EDIT - Yes, you are correct that, over the past 31 years, I have grown very fond of Maximas. Reliable, fun transportation tends to sway me.
This is the natural cycle of any car maker. Each generation will have those that like and dislike the new generation. I always looked past the 6th and 7th gen because there wasn't anything appealing about them. However, the 8th gen is the only Maxima since the 5th that has gotten my interest and why I will finally join the Maxima family!
Old 06-29-2015, 04:21 PM

Yeah since Gen 5 Maxima has had some "controversial styling cues, some good some bad. Lets break them down.

Gen 5: Those crescent moon shaped tail lights, some hated and thought they were awkward. Since many other cars use crescent lights including current Mercedes models.

Gen 6: Lots of bad styling cues, main one was that front grill aka "tooth". No one cared for it and really still to this day don't, its cheap interior and interior quality was a big downgrade from gen 5's materials (especially the center stack lots of exposed cheap plastic), overly fat body no one liked either.

Gen 7: Those Boomerang headlights, lots of people disliked them at first. Since they have grown to like them and since have appeared on several other models since. Interior quality went back up as well.

One reason people tend to like Maximas better later in the model years of a cycle is because the mid cycle updates usually make them look better than the originals. 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 are notables in this regard 7th gen was very subtle so not much changed/improved.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 06-29-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:54 PM

Yeah since Gen 5 Maxima has had some "controversial styling cues, some good some bad. Lets break them down.

Gen 5: Those crescent moon shaped tail lights, some hated and thought they were awkward. Since many other cars use crescent lights including current Mercedes models.

Gen 6: Lots of bad styling cues, main one was that front grill aka "tooth". No one cared for it and really still to this day don't, its cheap interior and interior quality was a big downgrade from gen 5's materials (especially the center stack lots of exposed cheap plastic), overly fat body no one liked either.

Gen 7: Those Boomerang headlights, lots of people disliked them at first. Since they have grown to like them and since have appeared on several other models since. Interior quality went back up as well.

One reason people tend to like Maximas better later in the model years of a cycle is because the mid cycle updates usually make them look better than the originals. 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 are notables in this regard 7th gen was very subtle so not much changed/improved.

I was one who was not totally thrilled with the half-moon taillights on my '2000 SE. But I finally adjusted to them. Stil feel they could have done better.

I was one who was not totally thrilled with the grille on my 2004 SL. But I finally adjusted to it. I still feel the body shape of the 6th gen was not 'Maxima-like.' But that was one roomy, comfortable car.

I was one who was not thrilled with the boomerrang headlights on my 2009 Maxima, but now I never even notice them. I know I have gotten way more favorable comments on my '09 the past few years than I did the first few years I had it. Sort of strange in a way.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, maybe the new design will grow on me. Someone here posted a pic of the dark blue and it didn't look too bad. Hopefully the local dealer will stock more vehicles over the Summer in more colors. I can never judge by pictures alone. My 2011 will be paid for in January, so I've got some time. I would definitely look for a darker color like the dark blue to help mask the black plastic. I still don't understand why Nissan went crazy with the black plastic on the side mirrors and that strip coming off the bottom of the rear windows. For some reason, it is really a sticking point to me on a car in this price range, Nissan really should have color coded those plastic pieces to the body color.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Garster
Well, maybe the new design will grow on me. Someone here posted a pic of the dark blue and it didn't look too bad. Hopefully the local dealer will stock more vehicles over the Summer in more colors. I can never judge by pictures alone. My 2011 will be paid for in January, so I've got some time. I would definitely look for a darker color like the dark blue to help mask the black plastic. I still don't understand why Nissan went crazy with the black plastic on the side mirrors and that strip coming off the bottom of the rear windows. For some reason, it is really a sticking point to me on a car in this price range, Nissan really should have color coded those plastic pieces to the body color.
the "floating roof" is an intentional design element, so it'd make no sense for them to try and mask it. people either love it or hate it, but at least the designers took some risks, which is more than i can say for 95% of the cars on the road.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Garster
... I still don't understand why Nissan went crazy with the black plastic on the side mirrors and that strip coming off the bottom of the rear windows. For some reason, it is really a sticking point to me on a car in this price range, Nissan really should have color coded those plastic pieces to the body color.
What are you talking about? Thats the whole point of those parts. If they were body color, they would not be there. You are acting as if they did it by mistake. Its called a design element. Some will like it , some won't. But this car is a Maxima, the idea is to be bold and that is what they have done.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by steevo
What are you talking about? Thats the whole point of those parts. If they were body color, they would not be there. You are acting as if they did it by mistake. Its called a design element. Some will like it , some won't. But this car is a Maxima, the idea is to be bold and that is what they have done.
Exactly! If someone wants something that blends in and doesn't rock the boat, then that is what the Altima is for! That is why it is the mass produced car to appeal to a huge market. The Maxima is meant to be lower volume and where Nissan goes ***** out, this will push some away but it will draw many more in! The Maxima never interested me until the 8th gen as it was always a nice car, but not daring enough. The 8th gen is what will be bringing me into the Maxima family.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
Exactly! If someone wants something that blends in and doesn't rock the boat, then that is what the Altima is for! That is why it is the mass produced car to appeal to a huge market. The Maxima is meant to be lower volume and where Nissan goes ***** out, this will push some away but it will draw many more in! The Maxima never interested me until the 8th gen as it was always a nice car, but not daring enough. The 8th gen is what will be bringing me into the Maxima family.

This is what brought me in to the Nissan family. I think the car design is absolutely terrific. All the cars I see look about the same to me, this one is really striking and it drives like a dream, I could not be happier.

To me it looks better than 99% of the cars I see driving around. Everyone at work says its a very handsome and futuristic looking car and I agree.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Sat in 2 platinum's today. I wasn't impressed.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:32 PM

People here actually think the gen 6 aged well?

The thing was hideous back when it was introduced and still is imo
Old 07-02-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by george__
People here actually think the gen 6 aged well?

The thing was hideous back when it was introduced and still is imo
That would be true, its the reason peoples thoughts on the Max went downhill in more recent years. The 6th was at the valley between two peaks per say, Nissan mfg knew this and it was improved once again with gen 7!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:42 PM

That would be true, its the reason peoples thoughts on the Max went downhill in more recent years. The 6th was at the valley between two peaks per say, Nissan mfg knew this and it was improved once again with gen 7!
This will be like Microsoft and Windows (every other OS is good)

Gen 5 = good
Gen 6 = meh
Gen 7 = good
Gen 8 = meh
Gen 9 = good?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by george__
This will be like Microsoft and Windows (every other OS is good)

Gen 5 = good
Gen 6 = meh
Gen 7 = good
Gen 8 = meh
Gen 9 = good?
Hopefully 8 changes that and turns out to be good!
Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I looked at a couple last week, both white. One was as SR & the other had the black panel roof. The interior is very nice, & I'm starting to like the exterior more & more.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:43 PM

I can agree with the positive comments on the interior, looks damn gorgeous.
It's the exterior that I can't embrace, from the rear door handles back it projects an almost a crossover-ish look to me. The back end is (or seems) like it's too high.
Maybe I'll come around or not.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:55 PM

This 8th gen is the most aggressive and intimidating Maxima ever produced. Every time I pass my dealer, forks are gathered around their two 8th gen Maximas. This is daring styling, and even if only 50% of folks like it, it will be a very good seller.

There is no doubt in my mind that this 8th gen will be like the 7th gen, in that most folks had things about it they did not like when it was introduced, but now most folks seem to like it. I suspect the 8th gen will become even more popular than the 7th gen, because of its aggressive appearance.

Sure, the tail lights might have ben more striking, and we can argue about the wheels (wheels are VERY subjective). But, overall, I feel Nissan did an excellent job with this 8th gen. I think the magazine reviews will soon attest to that.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
I can agree with the positive comments on the interior, looks damn gorgeous.
It's the exterior that I can't embrace, from the rear door handles back it projects an almost a crossover-ish look to me. The back end is (or seems) like it's too high.
Maybe I'll come around or not.
Agree 110%
Old 07-05-2015, 09:42 AM

This 8th gen is the most aggressive and intimidating Maxima ever produced. Every time I pass my dealer, forks are gathered around their two 8th gen Maximas. This is daring styling, and even if only 50% of folks like it, it will be a very good seller.

There is no doubt in my mind that this 8th gen will be like the 7th gen, in that most folks had things about it they did not like when it was introduced, but now most folks seem to like it. I suspect the 8th gen will become even more popular than the 7th gen, because of its aggressive appearance.

Sure, the tail lights might have ben more striking, and we can argue about the wheels (wheels are VERY subjective). But, overall, I feel Nissan did an excellent job with this 8th gen. I think the magazine reviews will soon attest to that.
Agreed. The 7th gen is a nice car, but that's it. There was nothing special about it that made me interested in the Maxima. However, the 8th gen nailed it on exterior and interior, and that is the reason I am finally going to join the Maxima family!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
Agreed. The 7th gen is a nice car, but that's it. There was nothing special about it that made me interested in the Maxima. However, the 8th gen nailed it on exterior and interior, and that is the reason I am finally going to join the Maxima family!
yeah, the design is what brought me over from audi. and i have friends and colleagues who only buy german cars who are now interested in nissan. so they are doing something right.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by charliebrown
yeah, the design is what brought me over from audi. and i have friends and colleagues who only buy german cars who are now interested in nissan. so they are doing something right.
One of the things I had not totally taken to was the 18" wheels on the non-SRs. But as my wife and I kept circling the 2016 SL my nearest dealer has on his 'featured' podium at sunset tonight, the wheels really reached out to me, and I absolutely like them. The silver spokes that are shiny black on the sides are both unusual and quite striking.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:51 PM

One of the things I had not totally taken to was the 18" wheels on the non-SRs. But as my wife and I kept circling the 2016 SL my nearest dealer has on his 'featured' podium at sunset tonight, the wheels really reached out to me, and I absolutely like them. The silver spokes that are shiny black on the sides are both unusual and quite striking.
yes the stock 18s are quite good looking. i'm also a big fan of the optional 18s, which are arguably the most suited wheels for this car. very striking design, and a surprisingly close carryover from the concept car.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:04 AM

I just saw this car in person today. Let me tell you, its a SWEET car. The 18" wheels are better looking than my 19" sport wheels. I thought that would be an issue and it is sure not. I may go back tomorrow and try to make a deal.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
I just saw this car in person today. Let me tell you, its a SWEET car. The 18" wheels are better looking than my 19" sport wheels. I thought that would be an issue and it is sure not. I may go back tomorrow and try to make a deal.
It really is crazy how much better this car looks in person. The photos just don't show the curves. I can see how the photos make some compare the design to the mazda 6 in the front fenders, but in person this car is much wider, lower, and curvier with nice bulges in the hood. No comparison at all.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by charliebrown

I was considering an Audi 4 and the Nissan Maxima 2016. I even got a discount on new Audi 4 2015 for 6,500 less than MSRP. The 2016 is about to come out but its not at the dealers yet. I loved the Audi, but I also loved the styling of the Maxima. I finally chose the Maxima. I really love the exterior styling and the fact that it does not look like every other car out there.

This weekend I went to pick up my mother in law in my new Maxima and as I was waiting, the neighbor came out and was staring and walking around my car. He said that he has never liked Nissan cars but that this car looked stunning, that they really killed it with this design. I understand that some feel its hideous, but I just do not see that, and none of the people that have seen it after I bought it see it either.

I could not be happier with my decision
Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
I was considering an Audi 4 and the Nissan Maxima 2016. I even got a discount on new Audi 4 2015 for 6,500 less than MSRP. The 2016 is about to come out but its not at the dealers yet. I loved the Audi, but I also loved the styling of the Maxima. I finally chose the Maxima. I really love the exterior styling and the fact that it does not look like every other car out there.

This weekend I went to pick up my mother in law in my new Maxima and as I was waiting, the neighbor came out and was staring and walking around my car. He said that he has never liked Nissan cars but that this car looked stunning, that they really killed it with this design. I understand that some feel its hideous, but I just do not see that, and none of the people that have seen it after I bought it see it either.

I could not be happier with my decision

Good notes. After I spent hours walking around, sitting in, looking under the hood, in the trunk, and even underneath this 8th gen two months ago, I posted here that the car gave a totally different feeling and appearance in person than in the photos. I also mentioned that, in person, the Mazda 6 would never even come to mind as having any resemblance to this very aggressive looking car with its imposing stance. But there are still doubters out there. I think most will eventually change their mind.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-06-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by steevo
It really is crazy how much better this car looks in person. The photos just don't show the curves. I can see how the photos make some compare the design to the mazda 6 in the front fenders, but in person this car is much wider, lower, and curvier with nice bulges in the hood. No comparison at all.
Thats what I noticed right away. Its wide low stance and what seems like a low roofline. Thats probably why there are reviews with issues with head room. Its def lower a car unless its just an illusion because of the floating roof. Bottom line I expected not to like it as much in person but was surprised. Especially in the right color combo its a real nice car.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:35 AM

On my way back from Phoenix this weekend, I pulled in at a gas station. There was a guy one pump over that was in a minivan with his wife and kids. He was walking to the door to pay, and he came up to me and said "wow, that's a really sporty car. Very nice." He then walked around the front of the car and said "Nissan huh? Im not a Nissan fan, but this car looks really nice...just as long as I don't have to work on it."
Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 AM
ATS

New car looks like a baby born from a Kia and Mazda YUCK

Quick Reply: As a 2011 SV Owner, I Hate the New Body Style