8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Snagged One!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Snagged One!

So after a pretty bad experience at a local dealer (same dealer I bought my last two Maximas from), I searched out of state and found the car I really want.

I called the dealership and a very cool salesman helped me all the way through the process. Its hard to believe how pleasant and smooth the experience was. I am beyond happy! But I wont go into details until the car is actually sitting in my driveway.

I got a Gun Metal SR with Camel interior, sport spoiler, mud guards, 19" black wheels and they are tiniting the windows before I pick it up.

I leave Thursday afternoon to pick it up, and hopefully it will be in my driveway by Friday evening. I cant wait to meet her!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:28 PM

congrats!! Sounds like an awesome car.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by djenkins
So after a pretty bad experience at a local dealer (same dealer I bought my last two Maximas from), I searched out of state and found the car I really want.

I called the dealership and a very cool salesman helped me all the way through the process. Its hard to believe how pleasant and smooth the experience was. I am beyond happy! But I wont go into details until the car is actually sitting in my driveway.

I got a Gun Metal SR with Camel interior, sport spoiler, mud guards, 19" black wheels and they are tiniting the windows before I pick it up.

I leave Thursday afternoon to pick it up, and hopefully it will be in my driveway by Friday evening. I cant wait to meet her!
In the driveway friday then for a drive to your local dealer saturday to show the sales person who gave you a bad experience the comission he lost out on lol. It's crazy how they can vary from place to place. One with a total lack of service while the other down the road may be very greatful for your business. Congrats! Im sure it'll be a blast to drive. Enjoy
Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 PM

I've had this experience even within the same dealer. Once I find a salesman to deal with I try to stick with that person.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by mls277
I've had this experience even within the same dealer. Once I find a salesman to deal with I try to stick with that person.
I agree with that approach. But I take it a step further.

I don't deal with humans. I send my detailed offer on a specific car to the internet manager and it is either accepted or rejected.

I bought my 2000 SE, my 2004 SL and my 2009 SV with Premium and Tech through the same internet manager, who, when I showed up to pick up the car, always went with me on a long drive, during which she went over all the changes in controls, filled up the gas tank, then had a meal with me (she paid). She has moved on to another company, and I now feel uncertain and deserted. My dealer has three Nissan lots, with a different Internet Manager at each one, so I am going to have a chat with my friends in the service departments at each lot before selecting the Internet Manager I will send my offer to.

dienkins - Very happy for you. I know you are going to have a blast with this new beauty.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-01-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 AM

Thanks everyone! Cant wait!

So heres what happened at the local dealer. I called them a couple months ago and asked that they let me know as soon as these cars come in. I let them know what I wanted, but that I still wanted to be called no matter what model or color they got in so that I could see them in person.

They got their first cars on Friday of last week, and as promised, they called me right away. I went to the dealer during lunch to take a look. They got 5 cars in, and only one was completely unwrapped...a white SR with charcoal interior. The big sticker was in the window with the MSRP price. I made it clear that I was not interested in buying that car, but would love to take a test drive if possible. They agreed, so I went back a couple hours later after I got off work.

When I arrived, I noticed another sticker in the window. This sticker showed $295 for "armor" something or other, $395 for "Red alert" (isn't this on all new Maximas from the factory? Why do I have to pay for it twice?), and $1500 for "Market adjustment". That brought the price of the car up to over $41K.

Because I wasn't interested in buying that car, I said nothing about the extra charges. I went on the test drive and it was pretty awesome. The air conditioned seats are amazing! I really liked the car and the way it drove. The only thing that slightly bothered me was the light steering.

We got back to the lot and the person that took me on the drive asked me to come into his office. He asked me if I had a trade in, and I told him I did. He went out to the parking lot to look at my car, then returned and asked what I thought was a fair price for the trade in. I told him he was way ahead of me, and that I was not buying today. He still asked what I thought was a fair price, so I told him. He then asked what I thought was a fair price for the car I had just driven. I said it would be hard for me to say as I wasn't interested in that car. He asked again, so I said "first of all, remove that extra sticker from the window, bring the car back down to MSRP, then we could talk". He said that extra amount was the only profit they would make off the car.

The salesman then asked what I was looking for, and I described the car I wanted (the Gun Metal SR with the camel interior). He said he was going to try and find one.

He returned a few minutes later with the sales manager. The manager shook my hand, but then sat in the seat across from me and almost glared at me. He asked me when I was thinking of buying, and I told him as soon as I find the car I want. He told me that what I wanted was "very rare" and that I wouldn't find that car for many many months. I said "that's ok, my car runs great, and I don't mind waiting". He then almost yelled "Whats wrong with the white one! We got two of those in (they actually got 5). One sold this morning and this one will sell tomorrow or this weekend". I said "that's good that you are selling them so fast". He looked at me, shook his head, then stood up and said "thank you for your time". and walked out.

And then...I decided to look elsewhere.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:14 AM

DJenkins- I think you definitely responded correctly by going elsewhere. They didn't earn or deserve your business. That is a ridiculous way to treat a customer... Especially one they have done business with in the past. That dealer clearly doesn't inderstand to value of building relationships with a loyal base of customers. How about the service department- will you still go there for service? Sometimes the service dept understands the shortcomings of the sales people as well as the customers do, ha!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:36 AM

I said it would be hard for me to say as I wasn't interested in that car. He asked again, so I said "first of all, remove that extra sticker from the window, bring the car back down to MSRP, then we could talk". He said that extra amount was the only profit they would make off the car.
I would have laughed and said bull**** and walked out. They make money off every car they sell at MSRP. The markup **** is just extra money.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by zillafreak
I would have laughed and said bull**** and walked out. They make money off every car they sell at MSRP. The markup **** is just extra money.
Yup. Start with invoice price (not MSRP), then subtract holdback, and anything above that is profit.

In fairness to the dealer, he does have huge operating expenses, such as buying the lot, putting up buildings, hiring and training employees, prepping cars, taxes, advertising, etc, etc. But a fair price is somewhere between invoice price and MSRP, which gives the customer a break, yet enables the dealer to stay in business.

Those added stickers are fairly normal, expecially very early after the release of a new generation model. But astute buyers try to avoid paying them (or at least reducing them) early on, then, once this model has been out a few months, avoid paying them altogether.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Marking up a mass production Nissan 4 door family sedan makes zero sense. if they were such a hot commodity my dealer wouldn't have 11 on the lot sitting there for a month already.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:12 PM

Invoice no longer maens anything. With incentives to the dealership from the manufacturer, they can make huge profits even selling well below invoice, depending on the dealership. Things have changed drastically in the last 10 years.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 PM

Marking up a mass production Nissan 4 door family sedan makes zero sense. if they were such a hot commodity my dealer wouldn't have 11 on the lot sitting there for a month already.
^^
What he said!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yup. Start with invoice price (not MSRP), then subtract holdback, and anything above that is profit.

In fairness to the dealer, he does have huge operating expenses, such as buying the lot, putting up buildings, hiring and training employees, prepping cars, taxes, advertising, etc, etc. But a fair price is somewhere between invoice price and MSRP, which gives the customer a break, yet enables the dealer to stay in business.

Those added stickers are fairly normal, expecially very early after the release of a new generation model. But astute buyers try to avoid paying them (or at least reducing them) early on, then, once this model has been out a few months, avoid paying them altogether.

I think the added stickers are to put the buyer in a negotiation disadvantage. The buyer tries to bring the price down to MSRP and the dealer makes them feel as if the actually negotiated a better price or that the dealer actually conceded something when in reality nothing has happened, you just brought the car back down to the original sticker price. Its a mental game.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:40 PM

One of the dealers that hung up the phone on me when I asked to bring the price down from sticker has the car sitting in his lot for 17 days already. I think it will be sitting there for a long time.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
One of the dealers that hung up the phone on me when I asked to bring the price down from sticker has the car sitting in his lot for 17 days already. I think it will be sitting there for a long time.
I must admit that I am seeing more 2016 Maximas on the highway than on dealers lots around where I live. No dealer near me has more than a few 2016s on his lot.

But then the Maxima is NOT a mass-produced vehicle. The Altima is mass-produced, with over 300,000 coming down the assembly line each model year. By sharp contrast, Nissan's Ghosn has said on more than one occasion that the Maxima is intended to sell around only 70,000, and it hasn't even reached that goal in half a dozen or more years.

Folks don't buy a Maxima to end up parking it next to hundreds of other Maximas in every large parking lot (like Altima drivers do).
Old 07-01-2015, 08:24 PM

2016s around here are exceeding 20 cars per dealer.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 PM

Same 2 SR's have been on Southbay Nissan's lot for nearly a month now as well here in car capital of the U.S Southern Cal, I have yet to see one 2016 on the road yet here.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 PM

Thanks everyone! Cant wait!

So heres what happened at the local dealer. I called them a couple months ago and asked that they let me know as soon as these cars come in. I let them know what I wanted, but that I still wanted to be called no matter what model or color they got in so that I could see them in person.

They got their first cars on Friday of last week, and as promised, they called me right away. I went to the dealer during lunch to take a look. They got 5 cars in, and only one was completely unwrapped...a white SR with charcoal interior. The big sticker was in the window with the MSRP price. I made it clear that I was not interested in buying that car, but would love to take a test drive if possible. They agreed, so I went back a couple hours later after I got off work.

When I arrived, I noticed another sticker in the window. This sticker showed $295 for "armor" something or other, $395 for "Red alert" (isn't this on all new Maximas from the factory? Why do I have to pay for it twice?), and $1500 for "Market adjustment". That brought the price of the car up to over $41K.

Because I wasn't interested in buying that car, I said nothing about the extra charges. I went on the test drive and it was pretty awesome. The air conditioned seats are amazing! I really liked the car and the way it drove. The only thing that slightly bothered me was the light steering.

We got back to the lot and the person that took me on the drive asked me to come into his office. He asked me if I had a trade in, and I told him I did. He went out to the parking lot to look at my car, then returned and asked what I thought was a fair price for the trade in. I told him he was way ahead of me, and that I was not buying today. He still asked what I thought was a fair price, so I told him. He then asked what I thought was a fair price for the car I had just driven. I said it would be hard for me to say as I wasn't interested in that car. He asked again, so I said "first of all, remove that extra sticker from the window, bring the car back down to MSRP, then we could talk". He said that extra amount was the only profit they would make off the car.

The salesman then asked what I was looking for, and I described the car I wanted (the Gun Metal SR with the camel interior). He said he was going to try and find one.

He returned a few minutes later with the sales manager. The manager shook my hand, but then sat in the seat across from me and almost glared at me. He asked me when I was thinking of buying, and I told him as soon as I find the car I want. He told me that what I wanted was "very rare" and that I wouldn't find that car for many many months. I said "that's ok, my car runs great, and I don't mind waiting". He then almost yelled "Whats wrong with the white one! We got two of those in (they actually got 5). One sold this morning and this one will sell tomorrow or this weekend". I said "that's good that you are selling them so fast". He looked at me, shook his head, then stood up and said "thank you for your time". and walked out.

And then...I decided to look elsewhere.
After hearing that id definitely drive on over there in that new max and show the sales manager what kind of a sale he let walk out the door for being such a pr!ck.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Same 2 SR's have been on Southbay Nissan's lot for nearly a month now as well here in car capital of the U.S Southern Cal, I have yet to see one 2016 on the road yet here.
in that case, if you see a white SR in the south bay, wave, 'cause it's probably me.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by charliebrown
in that case, if you see a white SR in the south bay, wave, 'cause it's probably me.
Alright now! You will see me in one of the few Pearl White 370 sports, Grey rare 335is or the 03 Pearl white Max. If I spot you I will wave, I stay in Manhattan Beach but I'm all over the Southbay/West side!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:47 AM

Januvia

Originally Posted by ac max 92
After hearing that id definitely drive on over there in that new max and show the sales manager what kind of a sale he let walk out the door for being such a pr!ck.

You know, its tempting! But I have to say, that no matter how that guy acted, the two salesmen and the service department manager there have always treated me well.

Well, I leave today to pick up the car tomorrow. The drive there will be so long, but Im sure the drive back will be no less than awesome! The guy Im dealing with called me yesterday to let me know that my black wheels were in, and they were pulling my car into the garage to put the wheels and the tint on. I should have asked him to send pics when it was all done

I feel kind of bad. My 2009 has always treated me great, but after that test drive, and now knowing that I own the 2016, I have caught myself thinking "too bad I have to drive there in that piece of crap". I have NEVER thought that while I was actually in the 2009 though, so I don't think it knows! Its strange, its kind of like dropping off an old friend and saying goodbye. "But but don't you remember that time it was snowing outside and sooo cold, but my seats were so warm? How could you?!?"
Old 07-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

internet managers?

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
...<snip>...

I don't deal with humans. I send my detailed offer on a specific car to the internet manager and it is either accepted or rejected. ..<snip>.
Hi lightonthehill or anyone else who knows the answer - I am new to all this so please bear with me but I was wondering - is there a way to find out who the Internet Managers are for dealerships if you do not know service people? Do you just call and ask? Or is this usually located on Dear websites - and if so - where?

Thank you
Old 07-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Here it is. The 350 miles back from Phoenix were a pleasure...especially with air conditioned seats.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 AM

congrats
Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Here it is. The 350 miles back from Phoenix were a pleasure...especially with air conditioned seats.
how fast did you push her?
Old 07-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks great! And glad it was a good trip home. Congrats!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Awesome looking car.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:45 PM

Thanks everyone

Unfortunately, it rained almost all the way back, so I didn't want to risk it. I didn't get above 85. At 85, the car is very quiet and smooth..it feels more like you are doing about 55.

As you can see from that picture, the back door windows aren't tinted. There was a misunderstanding from my salesperson to the service guys. He told them I didn't want the very back window tinted (I have a hard time seeing out of tinted back windows), and they thought he said I didn't want any back windows tinted. They are refunding my money and Ill get them done here in town.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:10 PM

That looks aggressively awesome! Congrats on the car. That is the exterior and wheels I plan on picking up, thanks for showing off the new car! Nissan hit a homerun with this generation!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Congratulaions!

Did you see any more 2016 Maximas while driving back? Any comments from people seeing the car for the first time?
Old 07-05-2015, 02:44 PM

That photo was taken in Flagstaff?
Old 07-05-2015, 03:59 PM

R1600Turbo, yes, that was taken in Flagstaff.

WasDmater, the only other 2016 Maximas I have seen have been on a delivery truck, on the lot, or people test driving them off the lot.

NissanFreak2000, thanks!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jacks
Hi lightonthehill or anyone else who knows the answer - I am new to all this so please bear with me but I was wondering - is there a way to find out who the Internet Managers are for dealerships if you do not know service people? Do you just call and ask? Or is this usually located on Dear websites - and if so - where?

Thank you
There are two options. Either phone the dealer and ask the receptionist/call router who answers for the name, email address and phone number for the Internet Manager, or simply send an email to the dealer's email address, and as the salutation, put 'Dear Internet Manager' or simply 'Internet Manager.'

The situation will be different at every dealer, but I have had good treatment by my dealer's Internet Managers (one at each of his three dealership lots).
Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 PM

djenkins - I do hope you enjoy having your car stared at. I just spent several minutes staring at it, and expect to return here and stare some more. You are just two rear door window tintings from being ready to show this baby off to the world.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM

This is the first one I have seen that actually appeals to my eye and looks great. Congrats maybe I will be reconsidering.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Got the rear doors tinted last week finally, but forgot to post pics

Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 AM

Nice looks
Old 07-22-2015, 09:08 AM

Very sharp looking ride right there. Those black rims set that thing off!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 AM

Gunmetal with the black wheels! That is exactly the combo I want. Looks super aggressive.