8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

'16 Maxima Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:52 AM

'16 Maxima Headlights

Hey all - looking at getting my first Maxima. Fell in love with 8th gen and will be trading in my 2010 4Runner for one soon.

Do any of you know if it is just the Platinum that comes with the HID light setup? I am torn between the SL and Platinum and that could make me sway toward the Platinum.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MplsMadMan; 07-21-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 AM

Only the SR and Platinum come with LED headlights. The rest come with the standard halogen projectors. So technically no Maxima comes with HIDs...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by NissLover
Only the SR and Platinum come with LED headlights. The rest come with the standard halogen projectors. So technically no Maxima comes with HIDs...
Gotcha. Thanks for info!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:41 PM

seem like Manufacturer is doing away with HID since they are expensive and bulb do wear out, where LED is coming down where they virtually last a life time unless circuit board burns out.. Well good luck on your purchase on whichever trim you go with. I am looking to get mine sometimes in the fall since I am waiting for the buying fever die out before Nissan start budging on the prices. My local dealer is outrageous adding a mark up on the MSRP.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
seem like Manufacturer is doing away with HID since they are expensive and bulb do wear out, where LED is coming down where they virtually last a life time unless circuit board burns out.. Well good luck on your purchase on whichever trim you go with. I am looking to get mine sometimes in the fall since I am waiting for the buying fever die out before Nissan start budging on the prices. My local dealer is outrageous adding a mark up on the MSRP.
Interesting, regarding the price point. Not to get off topic but majority of the dealers here are offering Platinums for $38500. Seems decent, based on what others are paying and how new the car is.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:34 PM

I'm not sure LED is all that reliable as of now! But it's not cheap nor are the lumins exceeding or better than HID.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'm not sure LED is all that reliable as of now! But it's not cheap nor are the lumins exceeding or better than HID.

But LED is the current rage. Most folks don't know (many don't even care) which light sources are truly the best. They just go with the current rage. I personally wish the engineers would spend more time developing more advanced methods of preventing our lights from blinding oncoming drivers. The current system works well only when cars are meeting on level straight roads. We don't have any level straight roads around where I live.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
But LED is the current rage. Most folks don't know (many don't even care) which light sources are truly the best. They just go with the current rage. I personally wish the engineers would spend more time developing more advanced methods of preventing our lights from blinding oncoming drivers. The current system works well only when cars are meeting on level straight roads. We don't have any level straight roads around where I live.
Audi already developed this technology several years ago. It's called Matrix LED. But the NHTSA banned it from the U.S. because of a stupid technicality relating to the driver being able to manually switch from low to high beam, which Matrix LEDs don't allow for because they are entirely self-adjusting.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by charliebrown
Audi already developed this technology several years ago. It's called Matrix LED. But the NHTSA banned it from the U.S. because of a stupid technicality relating to the driver being able to manually switch from low to high beam, which Matrix LEDs don't allow for because they are entirely self-adjusting.

https://youtu.be/jDshTXFLsUk
Government is essential in order to protect us from ourselves. Unfortunately, 'government' consists of humans with the same fallabilities we all have, so things don't always happen logically.

It may be that the 'blinded by headlights' thing will not be resolved in this country until cars are automated and the 'driver' will have his back to the windshield as he plays cards with the 'passengers.' As someone who began driving by shuffling semis around my uncle's trucking company warehouse in the mid-1940s, I will be amongst the large group of drivers who will really miss the driving experience.

Automated cars will be a problem for the Maxima, as a large part of the Maxima 'mystique' is the driving experience. When all cars are self-driven 'Yugo' type people transporters, travel will never again be the same. That makes me a little sad.

In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this 2016 Maxima every day I can. To me, this Platinum is a wonderfully agressively styled and plushly appointed vehicle with every bell and whistle I could dream of, and all the performance I can handle.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:21 PM

In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this 2016 Maxima every day I can. To me, this Platinum is a wonderfully agressively styled and plushly appointed vehicle with every bell and whistle I could dream of, and all the performance I can handle.

That is the way I feel. Everyday, I feel so good driving it and think what a wonderful car this is. Its delicious to drive.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 PM
EJR
Newbie - Just Registered

I just have to say that the LED headlights on the SR are by far the most impressive of any car I have driven. My 350z has HID headlights, I would actually say they are horrible compared to the Maxima's LED setup. I'm talking about night driving visibility.

Last edited by EJR; 07-26-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:11 PM

Agreed. The 7th gen HID headlights also could not compare in quality of light and coverage. It's also nice to not have to concern myself about how often the lights are turned on to save wear and tear. It became a pain since I garaged the car.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:14 PM

The LED headlights on my 2015 Murano Platinum are also very bright and impressive during nighttime driving. They are so much better than the HIDs in my old 2012 Maxima SV. As you state...now I also don't care if they come on as I back out of or drive into my garage compared to the HIDs.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coming from my 13 TSX with HIDs, I feel that my S's headlights are super dim... I want to put in HIDs, which exact part do I need? What do you guys recommend?

First Nissan btw. Hope to learn a lot from here!
Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 PM
EJR
Newbie - Just Registered

It must be the halogen headlights. I googled and found a couple of used LED versions on EBAY for $150 each, left and right side.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by EJR
It must be the halogen headlights. I googled and found a couple of used LED versions on EBAY for $150 each, left and right side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Beam-Xenon-Headlights-35W-Hid-Conversion-Lights-Kit-For-2016-Nissan-Maxima-/151742361990?hash=item23548cb186&vxp=mtr
Found that, am I good to go with that?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 PM
EJR
Newbie - Just Registered

Or this. Depends on what your going for. The OEM LEDs kick ***.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231563850746?lpid=82&chn=ps
Old 08-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by EJR

Nissan Maxima LED Passenger Right Side Headlight 2016 16 | eBay
Damn I'd love to get OEM, but that's double the price I guess it is worth it though. Time to save up!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello, i Just Want to share With everyone here that I just got my baby Hids installed last night. The color I got was 6000k. I will upload pictures soon after I wash my car because it's dirty now.
I have to thanks Precision-leds because they were very helpfully and they are super bright lights in comparison to the yellow lights that was killing me!

Here is the link were I got them from. They have Ann for this car. I had to wait 1 week to buy it because I think it was a little expensive but it deserve it because the quality is the best. They didn't give me error messages and no flickering Hids as other kits I have bought from other companies.

Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+Hids&_sacat=0
Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I forgot to tell they also offered me 3 full years warranty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252146648825?redirect=mobile
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Yoli2701
I forgot to tell they also offered me 3 full years warranty

Xenon Bright Hids Conversion Kit Headlights Fog Lights for 2016 Nissan Maxima | eBay
I don't know where someone pulled the picture from, but that is MY CAR. I know this because that is my license plate in the picture. That was a picture I posted on this forum after I installed my LED fog lights. Therefore, that picture is showing the STOCK LED headlights that come with the 2016 Maxima (SR model in this case). THERE ARE NO HIDs IN THAT PICTURE. So, though you may have gotten your HIDs and they look great, that picture is not of what you bought.

I feel like I've been violated. lol

It's true what they say about once you post a picture online, it's up for grabs.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
I don't know where someone pulled the picture from, but that is MY CAR. I know this because that is my license plate in the picture. That was a picture I posted on this forum after I installed my LED fog lights. Therefore, that picture is showing the STOCK LED headlights that come with the 2016 Maxima (SR model in this case). THERE ARE NO HIDs IN THAT PICTURE. So, though you may have gotten your HIDs and they look great, that picture is not of what you bought.

I feel like I've been violated. lol

It's true what they say about once you post a picture online, it's up for grabs.
Dang, and if you look at the other pictures on the listing, they have a picture of spidgeon's car they used for the fog lights.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:11 AM

Wow that's crazy they show the license plate and everything. Like they don't give a f***
Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by ATDoel
Dang, and if you look at the other pictures on the listing, they have a picture of spidgeon's car they used for the fog lights.
Geez! You're correct. There are two pictures of his car. Spidgeon, we've been violated!

I'm going to have to find an app that will put a watermark on the picture, I guess. lol
Old 10-29-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ATDoel
WTF...was I just....used?!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 AM

Well, that's one company I don't think any of us will be buying from!

Ebay = buyer beware.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by spidgeon
WTF...was I just....used?!

But . . . but . . . I left the money we agreed to on top of your dresser.

Seriously, had this happened to me, I'm not sure whether I would feel violated or honored that my car was considered worthy of being used in a commercial. I would probably just feel honored, because that would be the less stressful approach.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:39 PM

I installed the H11B HID Kit from TRS (The Retrofit Source) and the light output is amazing!!! They also have great customer service. I got the 5500K Bulbs and i strongly recommend them. I also looked into the $150 LED Headlight replacements on EBay but I wasn't sure if they are direct swap plug and play.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mpbclutch33
I installed the H11B HID Kit from TRS (The Retrofit Source) and the light output is amazing!!! They also have great customer service. I got the 5500K Bulbs and i strongly recommend them. I also looked into the $150 LED Headlight replacements on EBay but I wasn't sure if they are direct swap plug and play.
I bought H11B 50W with 6500k bulb and didn't really like it. It turned out way too yellow and I was getting a shadow. Thinking it was the wrong bulb I ordered H11A and now the shadow was even worse. So I thought if I am going to get shadow anyways I would rather get a bulb that is more pure white. So I ended up getting Innovited 6000 50W Bulb and ballast kit from Amazon. These bulbs worked out SO much better and now I don't have any shadow. Plus it costed only $40. For whatever reason Morimoto's bulbs had shadow. I am still using Morimoto 50W ballast, because I didn't want to go through the process of replacing that.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by EJR

Nissan Maxima LED Passenger Right Side Headlight 2016 16 | eBay
So I was going to order TRS aftermarket HIDs but this idea of replacing my halogen lights with OEM LEDs from Nissan is another possibility. However, I noticed all of these "slightly used" LED headlights on ebay have broken clips. See post here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Maxim...AAAOSwpDdVV36q

So in these cases, are the actual ballast and bulbs able to be swapped into my current low/high beam housing units? Or would something like this ebay post be completely useless with broken clips/tabs?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:08 PM

Government is essential in order to protect us from ourselves. Unfortunately, 'government' consists of humans with the same fallabilities we all have, so things don't always happen logically.

It may be that the 'blinded by headlights' thing will not be resolved in this country until cars are automated and the 'driver' will have his back to the windshield as he plays cards with the 'passengers.' As someone who began driving by shuffling semis around my uncle's trucking company warehouse in the mid-1940s, I will be amongst the large group of drivers who will really miss the driving experience.

Automated cars will be a problem for the Maxima, as a large part of the Maxima 'mystique' is the driving experience. When all cars are self-driven 'Yugo' type people transporters, travel will never again be the same. That makes me a little sad.

Like you I love my 2016 max platinum to,except the low beam,sucks..It only shines out a very short way,and looks like a curtain is come down over the windshield about halfway,not good.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check out my custom retrofit 2016 maxima headlights

I've been following the forum but never got to post since I didn't have anything really exciting to show until now. I had a comapny work on my stock halogen headlights and fix them up just how I want them. The guys at hidretrofitkit.com that helped me did a great job so I had to post. I recommend if anyone else is interested.
Let me know what you guys think!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by maxkila
I've been following the forum but never got to post since I didn't have anything really exciting to show until now. I had a comapny work on my stock halogen headlights and fix them up just how I want them. The guys at hidretrofitkit.com that helped me did a great job so I had to post. I recommend if anyone else is interested.
Let me know what you guys think!

Nice!! You've done almost exactly what I described in my post from a few weeks ago. (see link.)

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9115705

Few questions: 1) How long did it take? 2) Did you ship them? 3) Is the Black chrome-delete painted or PlastiDip? 4) Please describe the Halo you used as that is what I want do as well. (see image below) 5) Cost? (In the research I’ve gathered it could cost between $900-$1,200)

Name:  wht-1_zps1rotdpwe.jpg
Views: 10167
Size:  380.4 KB
Old 07-09-2016, 12:25 AM

That there is sic, sweeet max
Old 07-09-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by MrDillons
That there is sic, sweeet max
Thanks, but full disclosure, that is a poor, but heavily Photoshopped image I did (black side roof, all black headlights with halo, custom painted Stillen splitter, blue calipers and fog light tints and a few other things). The original is a Silver car.

That's what I want mine to look like when I purchase in the next couple of months. I'm just pre-planning how to do it.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:36 PM

I imagine it will be someone with that setup shortly, nice vision tho
Old 10-10-2016, 09:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is the headlight wiring for the sr and the platinum trim different? if not, anyone has any clue what led bulb those trims come with from the factory? i bought the piaa leds, had to return it. then, bought the opt7 leds in size h11. didn't fit. i am really looking for a bright headlight setting.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:29 AM

Can you just buy the platinum led low beam and fog light bulbs from the nissan dealer parts department?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by acamarillo
Can you just buy the platinum led low beam and fog light bulbs from the nissan dealer parts department?
No, i tried. the only bulb they have is the halogen. when i called, the guy gave me a part number and that was for the entire headlight housing.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has got be a better way with getting led lights. I used Silverstar ultras for now but don't expect them to last long. A shop I used for 10 cars to install autostart said for 350 they can convert to leds or hids my choice but I'm worried about the 3 hour install time they said and what they can screw up on my leased car

Last edited by btarter; 12-11-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: '16 Maxima Headlights