8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Nissan Maxima SL Moonroof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Moonroof stuck on Nissan Maxima SL. Dealer says it will take a month to fix. I am furious.

I brought a SL Nissan Maxima from Edison Nissan in NJ in late June. I have experienced several problems. Trim around door handle fell off before I even left the lot with the new car. My moonroof was stuck in the open position on a very rainy day as I drove down the highway. Took in into the dealer to get it repaired. This is over 2 weeks ago. They called to say the part was in. Took the sunroof off, cannot get it back on and they want to keep the car for a month. I am furious. Will not explain why, just talking in circles.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 AM

Lime law of they continue to give you issues.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Moonroof

I was thinking about taking that route. I am interested in knowing if others are having that problem.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:31 AM

No issues here on a Platinum trim and I have been constantly opening and closing the sunroof.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:38 AM

I've had mine for 3 weeks now, no issues.

Sorry to hear you're having issues.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:22 AM

I do not open the moon roof often but yesterday my wife and I invited my mother in law to dinner and my wife wanted to show her everything about the car so she opened it. It opened fine but when she pressed to close, we noticed a weird noise as it was closing, followed by an extremely loud bang or pop at the end of the close. It sounded like a big hammer had hit the moon roof or gun had gone off. We were all numb. I tried it one more time and the same thing happened.

Taking it in to see what the problem is, hoping I do not lose my car for a month.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh my gosh! That is exactly the noise I heard when trying to close it. Do you have a 2016 SL?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Madatedison
Oh my gosh! That is exactly the noise I heard when trying to close it. Do you have a 2016 SL?

I have a Platinum. But I got good news, I just took in and they fixed it, it closes perfectly now. I was out in 15 minutes, it was a loose cover
Old 07-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's good news. I wish I could say the same. Enjoy your ride!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is the same symptoms I had on my platinum. I took it to the dealer and it broke completely. Been waiting a few weeks for parts to arrive. They came in the other day but not everything was included.....
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Maybe this is the issue we will all hear about Monday.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Moonroof issues

I experienced the same thing today! Heard a pop while driving, open my roof later and it made a funny noise! Got out and looked to find a plastic piece just sitting there. Closed my roof and now it sounds like my roof is slamming down on that side! Just left the dealership this morning for a wheel replacement! Guess I'll be back Monday. Bought it on June 13, received it on June 30. Platinum Edition!!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This leads me to believe that these cars have a defective moonroof. I just posted this today and look how many people are having issues.

Hope they can solve this problem without having customers waiting for weeks. After all, we should not have to pay for a brand new car that is not in our possession.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mpkt2569
I experienced the same thing today! Heard a pop while driving, open my roof later and it made a funny noise! Got out and looked to find a plastic piece just sitting there. Closed my roof and now it sounds like my roof is slamming down on that side! Just left the dealership this morning for a wheel replacement! Guess I'll be back Monday. Bought it on June 13, received it on June 30. Platinum Edition!!
Please explain : wheel replacement"?
Old 07-25-2015, 05:22 PM

2016 Maxima Platinum Roof Pops

Bad pop when roof closes------dealer said parts coming in------but no calls yet confirming they are in-----dealer said they had no knowledge of roof problems Nissan wide----reported 3-4 weeks ago

Last edited by mymaxima1; 07-25-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 PM

Welp, looks like I won't be using my moonroof then. I think this very well may be the issue they announce.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

@mrgooch My wheel had a scratch on it so they bought me a new one!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
I have a Platinum. But I got good news, I just took in and they fixed it, it closes perfectly now. I was out in 15 minutes, it was a loose cover

Can you give detail description of loose cover?----
Old 07-26-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by mymaxima1
Can you give detail description of loose cover?----

I am sorry, I cannot give you a description of loose cover. They did not explain it, and after I left was when I thought I should have asked what they meant by loose cover. I was so happy that they fixed it and did not have to leave the car there for a month, that I made the error of not asking more questions.

When I took it, the service advisor told me that this was the first 2016 maxima that had been taken in. When I showed him the problem, he said that he could not tell me if that sound was normal or not but that it did sound very loud as the sunroof closed. I told him that it did not make that sound when I opened the sunroof for the first time and he decided to have someone take a look.

I forgot to ask more questions and the paperwork just says:

90 Loose cover.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
I am sorry, I cannot give you a description of loose cover. They did not explain it, and after I left was when I thought I should have asked what they meant by loose cover. I was so happy that they fixed it and did not have to leave the car there for a month, that I made the error of not asking more questions.

When I took it, the service advisor told me that this was the first 2016 maxima that had been taken in. When I showed him the problem, he said that he could not tell me if that sound was normal or not but that it did sound very loud as the sunroof closed. I told him that it did not make that sound when I opened the sunroof for the first time and he decided to have someone take a look.

I forgot to ask more questions and the paperwork just says:

90 Loose cover.

'Loose Cover' is not very definitive to the average layman. I see the sunroof as a piece of glass that is either covering an open hole or retracted to leave the hole open. Unless the tech is saying the sunroof itself is loose, I am missing the picture.

But I understand Nissan's job is to fix the problem, not necessarily to explain in laymen's terminology what the problem was. Although I should add that, in the many dozens of Nissan customer satisfaction questionairres I have filled out over the decades, one of the questions is always asking if the dealer's folks explained the problem in a way that I could understand. And my dealer always does this, even if I was the one who showed them the problem.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-27-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 AM

I've had my 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum trim for a little over a month and a half now and I'm constantly opening and closing the moonroof luckily I haven't had any issues with the moonroof (knock on wood) the only major issue I had was that the stitching by the armrest on the passenger side door came out or "unstitched" some how. I took it to my local Nissan dealer and they told me they had to replace the entire door panel and that it was covered under the warranty. It took them about a week to order it and once it came in it took about a days work for them to replace it. Really sorry to hear people are having these issues with the moonroof hopefully they're able to get it fixed asap and not have to wait a month smh I would be pissed too!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, good news guys!!!! Took my car in today and they just popped that little plastic piece back in place and now it works fine!!! It only took 30 minutes including waiting to be taken back!!! Hopefully it doesn't pop back out!!!Good luck y'all!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Platinum Owner since 7/3/15 , Moon roof issue today

I'm a Platinum Owner since 7/3/15
No issues, moon roof working fine , then this afternoon hear Loud Noise when opening the roof same when closing it , did it a couple times open and closing , kept hearing popping noise like something was in the track when it was moving, I thought maybe twig or something , parked car looked around track found a small black 2 inch long plastic clip looking piece laying in the front passenger's Right corner of the roof frame, took it out, it had an R printed on the top couldn't find where it should go, closed the roof to drive to dealership , Roof wouldn't open anymore (full Slide or Tilt) just nudged a little then would close back tight, took it to dealer ship , Service looked at it but they were just closing , so left car and they gave me a loaner and will work on it tomorrow
SMH
Old 08-05-2015, 02:45 PM

That what I dread about the panoramic moonroof they are having issue with. That one of my frustration that Nissan does not offer a regular moonroof on this generation anymore. I'm a bit leery about the full pane glass roof since I live in the Southwest Desert and it can really get very hot in summer as much as triple digit temp and definitely will cook up the interior, that's why I don't care for the panoramic glass.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:44 PM

they do have covers that block the sun on the roof of the car.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

@starchild_13417 I found that same piece and they just pop popped it back in! So it's working for now!
@FanaticMadMax they do sale them with a regular Moonroof! I saw one on a SV!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sunroof repair

Just got my car back yesterday. The sunroof is repaired and so far is working. I heard that there are other cars that are having the same problem and cannot be sold right now at the dealership. It took them over 25 days to repair the whole sunroof assembly. It seems with my car that cable guides came off track, screws missing along with some other issues dealing with the sunroof.

Now I have to deal with the recall. I have already been in contact with Nissan because I am not a happy camper.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by starchild_13417
I'm a Platinum Owner since 7/3/15
No issues, moon roof working fine , then this afternoon hear Loud Noise when opening the roof same when closing it , did it a couple times open and closing , kept hearing popping noise like something was in the track when it was moving, I thought maybe twig or something , parked car looked around track found a small black 2 inch long plastic clip looking piece laying in the front passenger's Right corner of the roof frame, took it out, it had an R printed on the top couldn't find where it should go, closed the roof to drive to dealership , Roof wouldn't open anymore (full Slide or Tilt) just nudged a little then would close back tight, took it to dealer ship , Service looked at it but they were just closing , so left car and they gave me a loaner and will work on it tomorrow
SMH

Starchild--
Anyway you or anyone else can post a picture of that black piece?
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update ,
I don't have the piece to take pix I gave it to the dealership service yesterday
But they called first thing this morning , the called Nissan and said they are aware of an issue
They had to order new Guides
Not sure when parts will be in but they
got the roof to work but had to remove the mesh wind blocking piece and said it was ok to use until they get the parts in to fix
Sounds like that Guide has something to do with that mesh Wind blocker
Old 08-08-2015, 06:22 AM

2016 Nissan Maxima Moon Roof Pop when Closing Solvedd

The pop/thud when moon roof closes solved---it's gone.. Also, while driving, rattling coming from headliner area solved---it's gone.

The small black piece (approx 2"x1"x1/8") was missing on drivers side moon roof mechanism arm. When they placed a new on there---all problems went away.

I will try and post a picture of this piece while attached. One picture is with black plastic piece on---one picture of missing black piece.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Nissan Maxima SL Moonroof Problem-img_6629.jpg   2016 Nissan Maxima SL Moonroof Problem-img_6630.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my maxima1 ,
that is the exact piece that came off . How long did it take for them to get the parts in?
they gave me back my car and told me I could use the roof,
I did notice not only did they remove the mesh wind guard but also the side rubber gaskets. When I saw this I was worried it might leak when raining but so far so good.
When i open the roof and drive the wind is very loud, so i'm guessing those gaskets diminishes the wind noise.
It's been since last Friday 8/7/2015 morning , no word yet from Dealer Service on Parts
Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by starchild_13417
my maxima1 ,
that is the exact piece that came off . How long did it take for them to get the parts in?
they gave me back my car and told me I could use the roof,
I did notice not only did they remove the mesh wind guard but also the side rubber gaskets. When I saw this I was worried it might leak when raining but so far so good.
When i open the roof and drive the wind is very loud, so i'm guessing those gaskets diminishes the wind noise.
It's been since last Friday 8/7/2015 morning , no word yet from Dealer Service on Parts
It takes a long time for them to get any type of parts in(I think because its so new a model and parts aren't stocked)
Old 08-12-2015, 02:56 AM

It takes a long time for them to get any type of parts in(I think because its so new a model and parts aren't stocked)
Yes, it is frustrating, but it is normal to have trouble getting replacement parts early on for a new generation vehicle. The waiting period will gradually decrease. It usually takes almost a year for most dealers to have most parts in stock. Until then, it is an 'order and wait' game.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I guess this is why no sunroof on the SR....which is unbelievable that it is not offered.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rattling sound

I'm having a rattling sound that's coming from the left hand side front of my platinum edition car. I only hear it when I'm driving on a roughly paved road or I go over a bump. Maintenance seems to want to keep my car until they can figure out the problem is. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CCade
I'm having a rattling sound that's coming from the left hand side front of my platinum edition car. I only hear it when I'm driving on a roughly paved road or I go over a bump. Maintenance seems to want to keep my car until they can figure out the problem is. Anyone else having this problem?

I have this problem as well! It's a clicking noise that seems to come from the area between the sun visor and the front edge of the moonroof, driver side. It's a plastic-clickety noise that drove me crazy during my 18 hrs drive. I am tempting to bring it to the dealership and have them look at it along with the recall that I am unfortunately have membership
However, I do not want to be held hostage for days or weeks for those people to trouble shoot
Old 08-20-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Banna
I have this problem as well! It's a clicking noise that seems to come from the area between the sun visor and the front edge of the moonroof, driver side. It's a plastic-clickety noise that drove me crazy during my 18 hrs drive. I am tempting to bring it to the dealership and have them look at it along with the recall that I am unfortunately have membership
However, I do not want to be held hostage for days or weeks for those people to trouble shoot
Before you bring it in check the eyeglass holder near the mirror. Some times the glasses rattle in there.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mrgooch
Before you bring it in check the eyeglass holder near the mirror. Some times the glasses rattle in there.
Definitely it was the first thing I checked but sadly it wasn't the sunglasses. That clickety noise happens when the pavement creates vibration or I can even lightly tap that area with my hand. It's sounded plastic, almost like a loose zip tie's tip to my imagination....
I have a pearl white SL BTW.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:41 PM

Speaker Problems

Originally Posted by Banna
Definitely it was the first thing I checked but sadly it wasn't the sunglasses. That clickety noise happens when the pavement creates vibration or I can even lightly tap that area with my hand. It's sounded plastic, almost like a loose zip tie's tip to my imagination....
I have a pearl white SL BTW.

My wife is hearing a periodic scratching sound from the left side drivers door area. She thinks it is speaker related. Trying to figure a way to get it to make sound on consistent basis--to show Nissan Service.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My wife is hearing a periodic scratching sound from the left side drivers door area. She thinks it is speaker related. Trying to figure a way to get it to make sound on consistent basis--to show Nissan Service.

It can be tough considering the noise isn't easily replicated. I had issue where every mechanic thought I was crazy and one insisted to leave my older Maxima at the dealership for the them to drive and troubleshoot...they must have had a fun time because they scraped my rims but denied...of course. So I understand the frustration and honestly, do not trust the good ol' boys at the dealership.

Mine current problem is getting progressively worsen. That clickety noise is literally driving me insane since I do most of my 'thinking' while driving

Quick Reply: 2016 Nissan Maxima SL Moonroof Problem