8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Recall Anounced

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had my 2016 Maxima since July 20th. I was originally told that it was not on the recall list. In fact, I checked the VIN # myself on the NHTSA website. I've put about 3800 miles on the car.

I just received an e-mail from NHTSA telling me that my car is now being recalled. I called Nissan Customer Service and they confirmed it is now on recall. I called my dealer to set up an appointment.

The dealer said that the part(s) is vehicle specific (?) based on the VIN #and they needed to order it. They could not give me an estimate of when they would be receiving the part. They did confirm that the repair should only take an hour or so.

This whole process has been sort of weird IMHO.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Received a call from the dealer today. The part is in already and will be installed tomorrow. They told me to plan on one hour.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:47 PM

I had the recall service done for the gas tank today. Can anyone who has had the service done confirm or not if there was a strong smell of gasoline after leaving the service center? My garage wreaks of the smell. I left it outside for a few hours,tried washing the quarter panel near the gas cap without results.The car was also washed before giving it to me [ a first for me ]. There are no signs of an exterior leak.

Last edited by mrgooch; 10-30-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had mine done today also. I did not notice any gas smell at all. For about the first five minutes of driving, I did smell something that I'll describe as the smell of oil on a hot engine. It only lasted a few minutes and I haven't smelled it since I first picked up the car. I have driven the car several times this evening with no evidence of any smell.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by mrgooch
I had the recall service done for the gas tank today. Can anyone who has had the service done confirm or not if there was a strong smell of gasoline after leaving the service center? My garage wreaks of the smell. I left it outside for a few hours,tried washing the quarter panel near the gas cap without results.The car was also washed before giving it to me [ a first for me ]. There are no signs of an exterior leak.
Call me Nervous Nellie, but when I smell either natural gas or gasoline in an unexpected situation, I begin edging toward the nearest door. Or, if in my car, I begin looking for a place to pull over and get out.

Gasoline does evaporate, so if you are still smelling gas the second day, something may need attention.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:52 AM

Well I was at the service center when it opened this morning. As I expected they had to replace an O ring which wasn't sealing. I'll know later today when I put the car back in the garage if it did the job.

Last edited by mrgooch; 11-01-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:20 AM

Another night in my garage and still some gas fumes.This is after leaving the car outside for 12 hours.Now what?

Last edited by mrgooch; 11-01-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by mrgooch
Another night in my garage and still some gas fumes.This is after leaving the car outside for 12 hours.Now what?
Gasoline evaporates fairly quickly. Short of washing the undercarriage thoroughly to make sure all residue is gone, letting it thoroughly dry, and then checking it again, it sounds like another trip to the dealership.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:07 AM

I was one step ahead of you. I got my garden sprayer with hot soapy water,sprayed the underside in the area most likely to retain some gasoline if it was spilled there,followed by a hot rinse. Took it for speedy ride to air dry it. I will let it stay outside until bedtime. If this doesn't work I will be having a long talk with the service manager. My guess is that the answer to the problem lies with the original mechanic that serviced it. Maybe it's not what is being revealed yet as the service manager is not involved at this time.

Last edited by mrgooch; 11-02-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:40 AM

This morning still gas fumes in my garage. Trying to contact the service manager who is at a meeting.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:26 AM

I made contact with the service manager,left the car over night for inspection.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:53 AM

At this point, I think we both know your service department did something incorrectly as they were making the recall change. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to find their error and correct it. Even more interesting to see how they try to 'minimize' their error.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:58 PM

The problem was finally resolved.They washed it down from the area where they did the work access from the rear seat. Apparently gas welled up in hard to get areas and remained longer than you would think. So all is well and I have a big smile on my face while driving.

Last edited by mrgooch; 11-11-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:51 PM

My car is also affected by the fuel tank recall even though dealer reps originally said it was not. Anyway, the dealer ordered the following part: Plate - Lock. Fuel.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:47 PM

It's my belief that everyone of the Maxima's will be recalled. By doing it when you come in for your first oil change it keeps it quiet.It doesn't seem to be a recall as we know it as I was never notified until I called for an appointment for service and I had my car since 7/17/2015

Last edited by mrgooch; 11-11-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 AM

I too have not been notified and I've had mine since 7/4.

What I find disturbing is that we have this wonderful feature called Nissan Connect with Nissan Services. You would think we'd be notified by that wonderful piece of sophisticated technology.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Still in doubt about 2016 Maxima brakes

one of the media from Korea released a braking test video of Maxima showing
severely moving of rear wheels when braking from about 100km/h.

how do you think guys?

Nissan Korea announced that the result may come from braking setting more considering stability than performance.

Last edited by raerae; 12-01-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by raerae
one of the media from Korea released a braking test video of Maxima showing
severely moving of rear wheels when braking from about 100km/h.

닛산 맥시마 브ë*ˆì´í¬ ì´ìƒì¦ìƒ 테스트(Nissan Maxima Braking test poor result) - YouTube
how do you think guys?

Nissan Korea announced that the result may come from braking setting more considering stability than performance.
I'm certainly not an authority on such things, but that doesn't seem "normal" to have all of that movement of the rear wheels. Even the "chattering/ rattling" noise is disturbing. I wish I understood what the guys in the video were saying.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 AM

Got the recall notice for mine Saturday. 8/15 build date.

My service advisor had ordered the part when I was in for my free oil change about a month ago, so was way on top of it for me. But I'm sure it came up on his computer when he entered the VIN.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:08 PM

Gasket replaced, but not fuel

I guess that they had to drain my tank in order to replace the gasket. My car was on empty when I got it back!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dano2016
I guess that they had to drain my tank in order to replace the gasket. My car was on empty when I got it back!
I think they owe you a full tank of gas. The first gas tank recall (when they replaced the whole tank) came with a free full tank of gas. It was right on the Nissan web site I think. At any rate, I saw it in writing and my dealer told me to bring it in on fumes because they would fill it up for me when done (and they did).
Old 01-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had mine done on 1st check up, now my car jerks at low rpms / speeds, just wonder if this re-call could be the reason..??
Old 01-04-2016, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jabalfox
I had mine done on 1st check up, now my car jerks at low rpms / speeds, just wonder if this re-call could be the reason..??
No
Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jabalfox
No
Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 AM

just curious, what gas does the dealer put?
we should be able to see a receipt, right?
or at least, request one when they refill the gas.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
They should put in premium, but you never know. You should mention it before hand. It would depend on each individual dealer. And, think about the person they send to take it to the gas station. Probably not someone who knows to get premium for that car. But, one tank of regular gas won't hurt the car so it is probably not anything to worry about.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Been using regular gas in all my maxima's without a problem.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:09 PM

5.5th Gen Maximas had a similar issue with cracked solder joints on the cam sensors and crank sensor resulting in a car that had no steering nor power brakes and the inability to control the vehicle resulting in an accident.....I replaced mine personally with the latest and greatest Nissan Sensors to avoid this issue....Hopefully you 8th Gen guys have very few issues...I test drove this 8th gen and it's interior is absolutely beautiful and snugly...That high center console gives it kind of a race car feel...the extra get up and go is apparent but the car seems to be huge...and Ilike the way the Infiniti Q50S is approx. about the same size as my 5.5th Gen Max which is a perfect fit for my family....

Last edited by CMax03; 05-15-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
Can't say what your dealer uses, but most of them use only Regular gas. I worked for an Acura dealer (all of whose cars call for Premium), and they had one pump ... Regular gas. It went into everything that flowed through there.

I doubt any Nissan dealer uses anything but Regular, since it's a cost factor.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Can't say what your dealer uses, but most of them use only Regular gas. I worked for an Acura dealer (all of whose cars call for Premium), and they had one pump ... Regular gas. It went into everything that flowed through there.

I doubt any Nissan dealer uses anything but Regular, since it's a cost factor.

I think you are probably correct on every point. I'm a little lucky in that my dealer puts only around a quarter of a tank of (regular) fuel in his vehicles, and as soon as I sign to buy the car, the Internet Manager rides with me to a nearby gas station where I fill up with premium at the dealer's expense.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:38 PM

There's a new recall out now r162 ecm reprogram to correct an issue for o2 sensor having short to ground issues
Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blackedoutmaxedout
There's a new recall out now r162 ecm reprogram to correct an issue for o2 sensor having short to ground issues
Just happened to be scheduled for service today, and they reprogramed the ecm. The Service guy didn't even know what it was to correct.
Thanks for filling me in.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blackedoutmaxedout
Got it done today. Took about 30 minutes to do but a 3 hour wait before getting it in the bay.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The ns O2 ECM reprogram ntb16-073 is the third most recent recall that required dealership repair/ rework on my 2016 nissan maxima. There are now a total of 5 recalls on the 2016 nissan maxima!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by eriemax16
The ns O2 ECM reprogram ntb16-073 is the third most recent recall that required dealership repair/ rework on my 2016 nissan maxima. There are now a total of 5 recalls on the 2016 nissan maxima!
Which is not bad for a vehicle that has been out 14 1/2 months, was completely redesigned, and which has a ton of bells and whistles, especially on the upper level versions. I am lucky in that I have a superlative Nissan dealer who has made these recalls rather transparent for me. I head in for routine service, and they also do any recall work while I either meander the lot, watch a movie in their theater, watch the mechanics through a large window overlooking the service bays, log online at one of their PCs available for customer use, eat at their well-stocked snack area (with lots of free stuff), chat with the Service Manager (she has been a close friend for over ten years) etc. I really enjoy going to my dealer.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Which is not bad for a vehicle that has been out 14 1/2 months, was completely redesigned, and which has a ton of bells and whistles, especially on the upper level versions. I am lucky in that I have a superlative Nissan dealer who has made these recalls rather transparent for me. I head in for routine service, and they also do any recall work while I either meander the lot, watch a movie in their theater, watch the mechanics through a large window overlooking the service bays, log online at one of their PCs available for customer use, eat at their well-stocked snack area (with lots of free stuff), chat with the Service Manager (she has been a close friend for over ten years) etc. I really enjoy going to my dealer.

I can think of better ways of spending my time than at a Nissan dealership having repeated repair work done on a brand new $35K 2016 Nissan Maxima with 5 recalls on it already (and also other quality/ design issues besides the recalls). Thats great that you are having such wonderfull experiences such as "meandering the lot" at your Nissan dealer but some people might come to the conclusion upon reading your comment that you could be just a shill for Nissan and the Nissan dealership. I hope that is not the case.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:57 AM

I can think of better ways of spending my time than at a Nissan dealership having repeated repair work done on a brand new $35K 2016 Nissan Maxima with 5 recalls on it already (and also other quality/ design issues besides the recalls). Thats great that you are having such wonderfull experiences such as "meandering the lot" at your Nissan dealer but some people might come to the conclusion upon reading your comment that you could be just a shill for Nissan and the Nissan dealership. I hope that is not the case.
What LOTH is simply saying is that it is quite common for the first in a new generation to have few issues. The Maxima isn't unique in this. I can't recall which, but the first of the 4th gen M3 or M5 had issues. Manufacturers can test all they want, but it isn't until mass real-world usage that they get a true picture of what needs to be addressed. Quite frankly I'm impressed with how quickly their taking care of anything that arises. Some manufacturers take years to address even the smallest of issues. Fortunately, other than the potential gas leak that affected only 5k cars, there hasn't been an major problems.

Last edited by BxBorn65; 08-18-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BxBorn65
What LOTH is simply saying is that it is quite common for the first in a new generation to have few issues. The Maxima isn't unique in this. I can't recall which, but the first of the 4th gen M3 or M5 had issues. Manufacturers can test all they want, but it isn't until mass real-world usage that they get a true picture of what needs to be addressed. Quite frankly I'm impressed with how quickly their taking care of anything that arises. Some manufacturers take years to address even the smallest of issues. Fortunately, other than the potential gas leak that affected only 5k cars, there hasn't been an major problems.
Unfortunately for me my 2016 maxima was one of the 'only' 5k cars with the gas leak problem. I do completely understand your point about new generation issues. My last car was a new generation new model year 2009 Nissan Maxima. The total number of recalls to date for the 2009 maxima is just 1. Thats it! The number of recalls for the 2016 maxima is currently at 5 and possibly more on the way.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:55 AM

Unfortunately for me my 2016 maxima was one of the 'only' 5k cars with the gas leak problem. I do completely understand your point about new generation issues. My last car was a new generation new model year 2009 Nissan Maxima. The total number of recalls to date for the 2009 maxima is just 1. Thats it! The number of recalls for the 2016 maxima is currently at 5 and possibly more on the way.
I hear you and it can be frustrating, but the 09 wasn't nearly a major redesign front to back as the 16, especially the engine. If there are anymore, hopefully they'll continue to be fairly minor and quick to correct.

BTW, I see you're new on the the forum. LOTH is a very knowledgeable, helpful and long-time member on here. It wasn't particularly cool how you went at him. Just saying, he's no "shill".
Old 08-18-2016, 06:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BxBorn65
I hear you and it can be frustrating, but the 09 wasn't nearly a major redesign front to back as the 16, especially the engine. If there are anymore, hopefully they'll continue to be fairly minor and quick to correct.

BTW, I see you're new on the the forum. LOTH is a very knowledgeable, helpful and long-time member on here. It wasn't particularly cool how you went at him. Just saying, he's no "shill".
Don't get me wrong about things. I may be new on here but I am not new to owning nissans. The 2016 Maxima is my third Maxima. I had a 1997 Max and a 2009 Max. I owned a Nissan Sentra before them. All of these cars were purchased new so I am very familar with Nissan products and Nissan Dealerships and how they operate.

I am sure I will be getting an interesting response back from LOTH. I am surprised he hasn't replied by now. Maybe he is taking a nap while waiting for his car to be serviced at the dealership or meandering <just kidding!>? I look forward to his reply.

Thanks for your honest opinions and info.

Quick Reply: Recall Anounced