8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Quality Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:22 AM

Quality Issues

2016 Platinum:

1) I've noticed that after 2500 miles the driver seat bladder seems to have an air bubble. Whenever I shift in the seat, it feels like there's a momentary air pocket in the mid-to-upper seat back and I feel a slight shift in pressure - like sitting on an inflatable raft.

2) Does anyone agree that the seat ventilation fans are pretty noisy? When I turn of the HVAC but keep the seat ventilation on, its pretty pronounced. I never noticed this in my 7th Gen Max or any the 5 Infinti products I owned.

3) when driving a consistent speed of 25mph or less, the transmission seems to be working overtime hunting for the right gear.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:26 AM

The seat fan has alway been noisy IMO. This was also the case in my 7th gen too though. I usually keep it on the lowest setting and I don't notice the sound at all.

It's funny you mentioned "Quality" though, because I was just moving my sun visor yesterday and noticed it feels "cheaper" quality than what was in my 7th gen. Maybe it's the way it moves, or the fact it feels thinner, I don't know. Anyone else notice this?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 AM

Yes, I have. The visor has been cheapened across the line. No extensions, so the visor can be thinner. The visor rides on a rail. Also, they don't apply the banner tint on the windshield. Part of cost containment I suppose.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:34 PM

It has been my motto never to get the first year of any car..until now. I figure we 8th Gen owners will all see some refinement issues since we are among the first. I just hope they are not too numerous.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I find that the air conditioner is very loud and sounds as if my car wants to cut off or idles when turned on max air.

I personally think that nissan scaled back and some interior features such as the sun visor, hand rails above the passengers seats, the sound system and sun roof do not seem to be of the same quality as the 7th generation.

Last edited by Punkin; 08-31-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM

Gear hunting?

Originally Posted by JoeWhit
2016 Platinum:

3) when driving a consistent speed of 25mph or less, the transmission seems to be working overtime hunting for the right gear.
No one to comment on the gear hunting? CVT transmission does not have gears, lol
Old 09-01-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by scutmud
No one to comment on the gear hunting? CVT transmission does not have gears, lol

Funny how people buy cars with a CVT and they have no idea what they buying.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:29 PM

Just because it doesn't have traditional gears doesn't mean it can't be hunting for the right ratio at the time.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by coasterswim
Just because it doesn't have traditional gears doesn't mean it can't be hunting for the right ratio at the time.
This was about the only complaint Motor Week had when testing the 2016 Maxima. They said the CVT tended to change ratios in a 'searching' manner when driving at low speeds.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Loud HVAC

2016 Platinum:

2) Does anyone agree that the seat ventilation fans are pretty noisy? When I turn of the HVAC but keep the seat ventilation on, its pretty pronounced. I never noticed this in my 7th Gen Max or any the 5 Infinti products I owned.
YES! I've found myself turning off the seat HVAC off just to quiet the cabin a bit. I'm glad I'm not the only one that found this to be REALLY loud!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:00 AM

Nissan must have grabbed some interior/underhood trim and items out of the Altima parts bins, sun visors being one of the one. I'm 6 4" and they're pretty useless. Having owned a 2013 Altima SL, the first time I washed and went through the 2016 Maxima was like deja vu all over again.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:08 AM

2016 Platinum:

1) I've noticed that after 2500 miles the driver seat bladder seems to have an air bubble. Whenever I shift in the seat, it feels like there's a momentary air pocket in the mid-to-upper seat back and I feel a slight shift in pressure - like sitting on an inflatable raft.

I have not noticed any of these issues with my Platinum in 10 weeks and 2600 miles.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Max8
I have not noticed any of these issues with my Platinum in 10 weeks and 2600 miles.
Nor have I
Old 09-13-2015, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by guitarman
Yes, I have. The visor has been cheapened across the line. No extensions, so the visor can be thinner. The visor rides on a rail. Also, they don't apply the banner tint on the windshield. Part of cost containment I suppose.
Just noticed the banner tint on this max:

It would have been nice if they added this to mine...
Old 09-14-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by minsbang
Just noticed the banner tint on this max: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BdoCvhrpbs

Yep. Mine certainly doesn't have the banner tint.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by minsbang
Just noticed the banner tint on this max: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BdoCvhrpbs

The Maximas equipped with rain sensing wipers will not have the banner tint. Guess the tint messes with the sensors ability to control the wiper system...
Old 09-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've noticed that the pano roof trim lifts and gets caught outside, after the roof is closed. Having a piece of rubber trim sticking up out of the roof of a brand new car is NOT A GOOD LOOK.

Also having problems with the side mirrors no longer tilting downward when in reverse.

I'm just making a list and taking it back in at the 30-day mark. FRUSTRATING!
Old 09-20-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hskrfans
I've noticed that the pano roof trim lifts and gets caught outside, after the roof is closed. Having a piece of rubber trim sticking up out of the roof of a brand new car is NOT A GOOD LOOK.

Also having problems with the side mirrors no longer tilting downward when in reverse.

I'm just making a list and taking it back in at the 30-day mark. FRUSTRATING!
You can fix the mirror tilt issue by placing the mirror L/R switch in either L or R but not the center - sunroof is a dealer issue - good luck!
Old 09-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hskrfans
Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot.
rbaker100 is correct. Gotta have the mirror switch in either the left or right setting in order to have the mirrors turn down when backing. Same as on the 7th gen.