8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

8th-gen Maxima reliability--better info

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 AM

8th-gen Maxima reliability--better info

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've been covering earlier generations of the Maxima for years. I'd like to do the same for the 8th generation. Just a matter of getting enough owners involved.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Maxima, for free. I'll share results for the Maxima in this thread once we have them.

To help make this happen:

http://www.truedelta.com/join
Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Maxima pretty much uses tired and true technology nooo?

VQ35 motor which has been around for decades
CVT transmission which has been around for half a decade
etc etc
Old 09-28-2015, 11:15 AM

I hope it's not tired tech.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Maxima pretty much uses tired and true technology nooo?

VQ35 motor which has been around for decades
CVT transmission which has been around for half a decade
etc etc
I think TrueDelta data is very meaningful, because things do change. For instance, the engine in the 8th gen Maxima is similar to the engine of the 7th gen Maxima, except that over sixty percent of the parts have been redesigned. That represents a major change. Also, the CVT in the 8th gen Maxima is not the CVT used in the 7th gen Maxima. So problems reported to TrueDelta for the 2014 7th gen Maxima will not be applicable to the 2016 8th gen Maxima, and vice versa.

Even when there is supposedly no change (such as between model years within the same generation), Nissan may have outsourced a certain part to a different manufacturer, and the part may not perform the same.

I like to have TrueDelta available, and check it fairly often.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:08 PM

Thanks for putting a good word in, lightonthehill.

Seven 2016s signed up so far. A good start, but more remain needed. The sooner we have 25+, the sooner we have some decent stats.

www.truedelta.com/join
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Now nine. Getting there, though not as quickly as I'd hoped. I'd very much like to have stats for these cars sooner rather than later.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:19 AM

As one who has participated in TrueDelta surveys for many years, I can vouch that participation requires very little time and effort. Just a minute or so each quarter unless your car has problems, and even then, the reporting should take only two or three minutes. In return, participants have access to all problems reported by all owners of all makes and models. Well worth the minimum effort required.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:36 AM

Thanks for putting a good word in!

The 2016 will be in the round that begins in a few days, but we're right at the minimum number of cars. Even a few more participants could make the difference between having a stat and not having one.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 maxima At transmission will fit on 2005 maxima AT? pls help thank you,,
Old 11-21-2016, 11:42 AM

We've updated our reliability stats for the Maxima to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2016 Maxima: 35, moderate, very small sample size

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information--additional participants would be very helpful:

Nissan Maxima reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 11-21-2016, 02:05 PM

signed up
Old 11-23-2016, 07:10 PM

I've been a TrueDelta fan for years. Gives a detailed report of every problem encountered by members. Easy to register, no charge, and we get to see all problems for all vehicles. It also gives us the ability to actually compare between vehicles. Best of all, TrueDelta is more up-to-date than systems such as Consumer Reports, which is an annual thing.

Any 2016 or 2017 Maxima owner not participating in TrueDelta is missing out on a solid source of info.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:33 PM

I've been a member of this site since its beginning. Very well done. Can't wait for the '17s to show up on the site.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I've been a member of this site since its beginning. Very well done. Can't wait for the '17s to show up on the site.
Yes, there are loads of helpful info available on TrueDelta, but that site wisely tries to avoid putting out stats on a vehicle with less than at least 25 owner reports. Participating is so easy, and reporting each quarter takes me less than a minute. I have been disappointed that not even 25 owners here have taken the time to participate. There is no charge or fee, and the resultant info is not only interesting, but sometimes answers questions we have been asking here, and can be very useful.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:40 AM

I totally agree with you Light. The info is very helpful and complete. Maybe most owners contemplating joining the site are afraid they will be swamped with emails and ads trying to sell them something. This is not the case at all.Come on guys and gals, we need more of your input. Another advantage is you can track your past fixes or problems for each of your cars you list on the site. PS- I am not a shill for this site; just a member.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:41 PM

Maxima Platinum featured in the movie Game Night

Just saw the new Jason Bateman movie, Game Night. The featured car is the Platinum. Sad that it couldn't outrun a rusty old van.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:44 AM

I just signed up.

I'll be interested to see how the 2016 fairs up to my old 2002... which made it 16 years and 204,000 miles before I traded it in.

Ambivalent: Yeah, I noticed that too... Nice little Max ad though--looks good on the big screen.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:44 AM

The latest Consumer Reports Car issue is out. While they don't seem to be in love with the Maxima, the cumulative repair- grid chart seems to show the car is holding up pretty well for 2016 and 2017 Models.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
The latest Consumer Reports Car issue is out. While they don't seem to be in love with the Maxima, the cumulative repair- grid chart seems to show the car is holding up pretty well for 2016 and 2017 Models.
I think the only car I've ever owned that was something that Consumer Reports "Loved" was a Toyota Corolla. It was the most boring car I ever owned and really did not like it at all. IHMO the seem to like and dislike things for very dumb reasons sometimes, or what id consider not important for my needs.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by guvadc
I think the only car I've ever owned that was something that Consumer Reports "Loved" was a Toyota Corolla. It was the most boring car I ever owned and really did not like it at all. IHMO the seem to like and dislike things for very dumb reasons sometimes, or what id consider not important for my needs.
The last CR report I read, they just couldn't stop whining about the CVT, which makes we wonder if they even drove it, because the CVT is this car is fine. I dare say it's quicker responding than the automatic in my old sedan. Now that argument may not hold up compared to a Mustang or Corvette, but for the market segment that its in its great

the only 2 only major things I saw in the CR report were the brakes (which was already handled in a recall), and infotainment issues which are annoying.. but not a deal breaker (for me at least)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by guvadc
Good sumation on how I feel as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:48 PM

2017 Maxima SL purchased 12/27/16 currently 03/112/18 15,789 miles on the dash and the only issue i had was the bottle neck washer fluid reservoir had a loose rubber seal and Nissan dealer fix it in 5 minutes, prior to the max i had a 2015 Altima SL, turned it in for the max and only had a Nav system problem.
i had a 2012 M3 and turned it in to downgrade for the altima, gave it back with 27,500 miles over $40k for a freaking lease and went to dealer with multiple issues all covered ofcourse, was it a fun car?yes was it worth it? heck no. love my Max after over a year i still turn around and look back at it.