8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

8th Gen Non-Bose System upgrade (Build)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:35 PM

Finally got everything in the trunk mounted and out of the way
Attached Thumbnails 8th Gen Non-Bose System upgrade (Build)-img_4093.jpg   8th Gen Non-Bose System upgrade (Build)-img_4092.jpg   8th Gen Non-Bose System upgrade (Build)-img_4088.jpg   8th Gen Non-Bose System upgrade (Build)-img_4087.jpg  

Last edited by tommie70; 05-01-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 AM

That looks really clean good job. Do the amp and Bit have room to breath underneath? And what are the mounting screws tapping into ?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 AM

I made a bracket that connects to the seat back brackets, and a support behind the carpeted shroud. mounted a piece of 3/4 ply to the bracket, which is what the amp and signal processor are screwed to. The amp sticks out enough to breathe and the signal processor didn't really have any requirements for airflow, as it doesn't really consume much power.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:41 AM

Ah gotcha well looks great.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:58 AM

Sub installation

Hey,

Pretty quick question around sub and amp installation.

Which side/location was the firewall for the power wire for subs/amp? Also, how did you install/route the Remote and RCA cable?
Old 10-29-2016, 05:09 AM

There are two places you can route the power and ground through the drivers side fire wall. One spot is through the hood release cable grommet. There is enough room to fit a 4 gauge wire next to the release cable. The other spot is through the bundle of cables above the release cable. On the interior side, you'll have to puncture the rubber boot, but on the exterior side, you just need to remove the electrical tape that seals the boot. For the remote turn on, signal, an speaker wires, there are cable ways built into the rocker panels on both sides of the car running from the front door to the rear door.

I have pictures somewhere, I'll attach them when I find them
Old 10-29-2016, 05:25 AM

the control for the signal processor fits great in this cup. there is still room for my phone and sunglasses.

the air cleaner box needs to come off to run the power and ground cables.

this is after the ground wires were run through the rubber boot

to the right is the exit for the hood release cable

to access the two exits, you'll need to remove the drivers side tire, and wheel well shroud

Old 10-29-2016, 05:30 AM

this is a shot of the cable way that is built into the rocker panels, I had already run the signal and speaker wires

Old 12-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by tommie70
There are two places you can route the power and ground through the drivers side fire wall. One spot is through the hood release cable grommet. There is enough room to fit a 4 gauge wire next to the release cable. The other spot is through the bundle of cables above the release cable. On the interior side, you'll have to puncture the rubber boot, but on the exterior side, you just need to remove the electrical tape that seals the boot. For the remote turn on, signal, an speaker wires, there are cable ways built into the rocker panels on both sides of the car running from the front door to the rear door.

I have pictures somewhere, I'll attach them when I find them
Sweet! Thanks! That should help quite a bit when I do my subs.

One more question - How did you connect the RCA cable to rear speakers? I believe there's a rca cable adapter, right?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:53 PM

ur patience's, documentation and attention is amazing...
Old 12-21-2016, 07:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Epic install!!!
Old 12-21-2016, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kalrakam
Sweet! Thanks! That should help quite a bit when I do my subs.

One more question - How did you connect the RCA cable to rear speakers? I believe there's a rca cable adapter, right?
I tapped into the speaker outputs from the receiver and ran them directly to the signal processor which is right next to the amp in the trunk. The only rca cables involved, go right to the amp from the sig. processor
Old 12-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What size speakers did u use in the rear deck? I am upgrading my speakers also i removed the rear deck and once i removed the 6x9s i see they have the adapter bracket built on my aftermarket 6x9s didn't line up with the factory bolt holes. And all the places i checked no one has a speaker bracket.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:47 AM

I used 6 1/2" in the back, and made an adapter plate out of birch ply.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got a 2016 SL two days ago and this post is really helping me decide what to do about the sound system. It definitely sounds ok at the moment, but I want to keep the stock head unit and redo everything else. Thank you so much for documenting all this!

I am sure its here in the forum somewhere, but if you have a link to the wiring diagram, that would be excellent. Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:53 PM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2...2016%20Maxima/

It takes a little while to figure out which is which. I downloaded all of them, and they have helped on other projects.

Last edited by tommie70; 04-04-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:03 PM

I do have an update to this system, I replaced the Rockford prime amplifier with the 1000w fosgate 5 ch power amp. I will provide pictures when I get time to fix the trunk shroud. It's really ugly right now

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...ails/t1000x5ad
Old 04-05-2017, 04:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you!

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2...2016%20Maxima/

It takes a little while to figure out which is which. I downloaded all of them, and they have helped on other projects.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's exactly the amp that I had in mind, and I'm just trying to figure out how to wire it up. I was going to run the fronts and rears at 4ohms, and then the subs wired at 1ohm... but then I realized that there are 2 outputs for the sub and not just one. So I'm trying to figure out if I can bridge those two outputs and run two DVC 4ohm subs at 1ohm,, just run that config to one output and ignore the other, or run 2 DVC 2ohm subs at 1ohm each to each output.

I do have an update to this system, I replaced the Rockford prime amplifier with the 1000w fosgate 5 ch power amp. I will provide pictures when I get time to fix the trunk shroud. It's really ugly right now

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...ails/t1000x5ad
Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wiring question

Where did you tap into for the amp remote turn on wire? Did you use a fuse tap on one of the fuse boxes or just connect it directly to a wire? I bought a surprise sub and amp for the wife and am looking to install it myself.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Speaker sizes

can anyone list all the sizes of speakers that are in the 17 maxima non bose setup. I am getting a bunch of mix information and all i know is their are 2 pairs od 6x9
one set on each front door and one set on back deck I am working to upgrade everything from stock but i have 0 idea of the sizes
some say its 6.5 in the rear door so i went and bought alpine 6x5 type r but bestbuy where im having everything installed (only because i really dont have the time dont hate me lol)
said that its 3 1/2?
im so confused so if anyone can help me that would be awesome
Old 05-19-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by cilinama
can anyone list all the sizes of speakers that are in the 17 maxima non bose setup. I am getting a bunch of mix information and all i know is their are 2 pairs od 6x9
one set on each front door and one set on back deck I am working to upgrade everything from stock but i have 0 idea of the sizes
some say its 6.5 in the rear door so i went and bought alpine 6x5 type r but bestbuy where im having everything installed (only because i really dont have the time dont hate me lol)
said that its 3 1/2?
im so confused so if anyone can help me that would be awesome
I have the same car man max s non Bose they are correct 6x9 front door and rear deck and rear doors are 3.5 idk why but that's correct
Old 07-06-2017, 05:54 AM

For some reason, I don’t get an email when there is activity on my subscribed posts. Sorry, I am super late answering but it might help others. Chase361 is correct about the 6X9s in the door and rear deck, and to confirm 3 1/2 in the rear door. I didn’t bother putting anything in the rear doors or dash. With that said, if you are comfortable customizing, you could very easily put 8” in the doors and rear deck. I thought about it, and I’m glad I didn’t because even the 6 1/2s rattle the door skins like crazy. I spent hours chasing down all the errant noises coming from the doors. A few hundred in dynomat, and and some well placed foam rubber finally solved it.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Wathey
That's exactly the amp that I had in mind, and I'm just trying to figure out how to wire it up. I was going to run the fronts and rears at 4ohms, and then the subs wired at 1ohm... but then I realized that there are 2 outputs for the sub and not just one. So I'm trying to figure out if I can bridge those two outputs and run two DVC 4ohm subs at 1ohm,, just run that config to one output and ignore the other, or run 2 DVC 2ohm subs at 1ohm each to each output.
You probably figured it out by now, sorry! If I remember correctly, the punch series amps can only go to 2 ohms, but I could be wrong. So two 2 ohm subs on each channel would work. I would consult RF about any other configuration.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ealcala17
Where did you tap into for the amp remote turn on wire? Did you use a fuse tap on one of the fuse boxes or just connect it directly to a wire? I bought a surprise sub and amp for the wife and am looking to install it myself.
The signal processor I bought has a circuit that detects the presence of signal and turns the amp on. A fuse tap would work too, and that was what I was going to use until I saw the Bit ten’s specs.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 AM

tommie70,

Thank you so much for going first. Do you have a GoFundMe page? I think all us '16-'17 owners owe you.

I haven't studied your power wiring pictures yet, but did you run ground all the way back to the battery, or did you install a chassis ground? Where did you connect your + wire, battery terminal (there's so much connected there already)?

Those factory enclosures in the front doors are a bit of good news. Like you showed us, a little plywood and a jig saw will allow us to install any speaker we want.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Rookie question: which service manual did you use, where did you get it. I found lots of Chilton-type manuals for 7th generation and earlier Maximas and a Nissan manual for the 8th, but it was $330.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by macdonjh
Rookie question: which service manual did you use, where did you get it. I found lots of Chilton-type manuals for 7th generation and earlier Maximas and a Nissan manual for the 8th, but it was $330.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nis...e-manuals.html
Old 08-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Thank you very much, logicallysick. My local Nissan dealer didn't even know what I was talking about. With all those files, now I know why the CD-ROM version is $330.

For those that are interested, Section INT has instructions for removing various interior panels, like door finishers and trim pieces. There are lots of referenced sections, though, so you'll end up with several sections to wade through before you have a complete instruction about how to do something.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:56 AM

Routing new speaker wire through the doors

Tommie, how did you get you new speaker wires into the doors? Through the factory boots? What did you use to fish the wires through?
Old 11-23-2017, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by macdonjh
Tommie, how did you get you new speaker wires into the doors? Through the factory boots? What did you use to fish the wires through?
I made a fish line out of a giant cable tie, it was a pain in the A**
Old 02-12-2018, 04:30 PM

Ok, I am probably never going to get the new trunk shroud, but here is the new amp installed. I’m probably going to just get some grey carpet and cover the components.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow, still using that cheap foam surround material

The rest of the world has moved on to butyl rubber surrounds that don't decay within 5 years. Disappointed to see that is what is in my 2016 Maxima. No excuse for that, Nissan.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I ran 16 gauge wire directly to the connector in the back of the AV unit to feed signal to the amp.
Tommie70,

Thanks very much for the great installation walk through!

I am the recent owner of a slightly used 2017. Love the car, the stereo not so much. I am planning an upgrade along the same lines that you did. Keeping the head unit, but adding new speakers at the four corners and a new amp to drive them. My biggest sticking point right now is how to connect my 4 channel amp to the head unit.

Do you have a wire list for what wires are what output signal from the head unit?

Thanks, JimmyK
Old 04-29-2018, 09:21 AM

great job and write up... do you live in the tampa florida area!!!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:00 AM

Hey Tommie,

How did you route/install your bass ****? I am installing a aftermarket sub and trying to figure out the easiest way to run the bass ****. I like your mounting point btw.

I ran 16 gauge wire directly to the connector in the back of the AV unit to feed signal to the amp. This may have been overkill but the factory speaker wires are small. to do this I cut the wires right at the connector and soldered them to the heavier wire.

All of the wires are run through braided shroud.

The amp control is mounted in the accessory cup. its not visible, but the drill snagged and made an ugly opening.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:40 PM

For some reason, I’m not getting alerts when there is new activity on this thread. I’m assuming you figured out how to run the amp controls.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:03 AM

For some reason, I’m not getting alerts when there is new activity on this thread. I’m assuming you figured out how to run the amp controls.
I did, thanks. I've got the JL Audio DSP connected and working, one amp installed, and the speakers in the front doors and in the rear deck replaced. Someday I will install my second amp, replace the small speakers in the rear doors and change out the rear deck speakers for mini-subs.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyK
Tommie70,

Thanks very much for the great installation walk through!

I am the recent owner of a slightly used 2017. Love the car, the stereo not so much. I am planning an upgrade along the same lines that you did. Keeping the head unit, but adding new speakers at the four corners and a new amp to drive them. My biggest sticking point right now is how to connect my 4 channel amp to the head unit.

Do you have a wire list for what wires are what output signal from the head unit?

Thanks, JimmyK
JimmyK,

I also connected my amp directly to the factory head unit. You can see my install thread here:
https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...o-install.html

You can find wiring diagrams in the Service Manual. Maxima.org member logicallysick posted a link to a website where the whole manual is posted (see post 68 in this thread). It makes it much easier to take things apart and put them back together when you have good instructions. When connecting to the factory head, be careful. There are two connectors that are identical and it really screws up your car if you reinstall them reversed like I did. I ended up having my car towed in for service. Service on the car's electrical system is expensive (even though I told the tech EXACTLY what I did). I did get compliments about my install, though.

Last edited by macdonjh; 08-25-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The door finishers were a snap. There are two bolts, one behind the door latch and one inside the door pull. After the bolts are removed, carefully work around the perimeter and snap the door finisher off. the trim tools come in handy again. the control panel is pressed in, just pry it up and it comes out. be careful with the little red light at the bottom of the door. you can easily break the clips that hold it on.

This reveals the gigantic, enormous, cavernous opening for the door speaker. I think Crutchfield tells you a 5 1/4 speaker is the only thing that fits because they only sell an adapter for a 5 1/4. I bet you could put an 8" speaker in there if you made an enclosure for it. I certainly would have gone bigger if I knew this up front. I have 6 1/2 inch speakers, and this is the biggest you can go without changing the stock enclosure. you'll have to make adapters out of wood if you want to put anything other than a 6X9 in. You could go with a 5 1/4 and buy the adapter from Crutchfield, but why?
dude, thanks for the pics and info.

Quick Reply: 8th Gen Non-Bose System upgrade (Build)