8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Need Help: Curb side scratches on rim

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Need Help: Curb side scratches on rim

Anyone have solutions to fixing this? 2016 nissan maxima owner
Old 10-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same here. My teen just did the same thing to the rear passenger rim on our 2 month old Maxima. There are wheel repair kits with sandpaper and paint, but I've never used them before.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:54 AM

Check your area for wheel repair shops. There are several around my area, they actually
don't have a building they work from. They have a location around car dealerships where they setup shop and do rim repairs(work out of a van). If not you could ask your local Nissan dealer.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:09 AM

Those wheel repair guys are really happy with the 8th gen Maxima. Having owned Maximas of all gens other than the first (and having carpooled in a 1st gen Maxima for two years), I can honestly say that the 8th gen wheels are easily the easiest to damage of any gen Maxima. That is because the wheels actually stick out to the side as far as the tires do, so, if the curb is truly vertical, and the car is moving parallel with the curb, the wheel hits the curb at the same time the tire hits it. I knew from day one I would not be parking close beside any curb. Ever.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Those wheel repair guys are really happy with the 8th gen Maxima. Having owned Maximas of all gens other than the first (and having carpooled in a 1st gen Maxima for two years), I can honestly say that the 8th gen wheels are easily the easiest to damage of any gen Maxima. That is because the wheels actually stick out to the side as far as the tires do, so, if the curb is truly vertical, and the car is moving parallel with the curb, the wheel hits the curb at the same time the tire hits it. I knew from day one I would not be parking close beside any curb. Ever.
I use the 360 Camera all the time to get a look before I park near a curb. One thing I dislike about the Continental tires is that there is not an extruded rubber collar that extends out from the tire sidewall to help protect this wheel. My Acura had the Michelin tire that had this feature and it really helped. I feel anyone's pain who does curb this wheel. My wife clipped a curb while the car was 2 months old. The gouges were so deep I just found a new wheel on Ebay and replaced it.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I use the 360 Camera all the time to get a look before I park near a curb. One thing I dislike about the Continental tires is that there is not an extruded rubber collar that extends out from the tire sidewall to help protect this wheel. My Acura had the Michelin tire that had this feature and it really helped. I feel anyone's pain who does curb this wheel. My wife clipped a curb while the car was 2 months old. The gouges were so deep I just found a new wheel on Ebay and replaced it.
ouch!
great input on the 360 camera, love that feature on the platinum...I do the same.
cheers,
willie
Old 01-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damn, I clipped the curb today - there was too much snow on the ground and couldn't see. Luckily its only about an inch long. I was just going to cover it up with some silver paint. I don't suppose anyone here would know where I could find some silver paint for the wheel? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:15 PM

$125 to repair...not too bad. I did same thing, but only very minor damage so not going to fix immediately.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:29 AM

Just do what I did. scrape all 4 so they match! The worst one was in Gettysburg PA. They have these fancy chiseled marble curbs there. Ripped my wheels a new A-hole.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:39 PM

I just got the 2017 Platinum and the warranty I took has wheel repair and replacement if Bent or damaged, and curb rash repair from Nissan! There are a lot of wheel repair shops out there too and they will repaint your rims too if you want to change the color of them all at like $100 a piece average.