8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

trunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

trunk noise

My trunk seems to make a thumping noise on bumpy roads. Dealer was not able to find issue. I removed everything from trunk including spare and its alot better only makes the noise on large bumps and not in any consistent fashion. So I'm guessing the reduction in weight might make this a suspension issue. Issue occurs in normal or sport mode.Any ideas? 2016 max SR
Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM

Not sure if this is the problem, but on my previous altimas I had this problem, in the trunk if you look at the top there are 2 thin bars that run across the length of it held together by a clip. If the clips come off, the bars tend to move around and cause a clunky noise when going over bumpy roads.

Last edited by MaxJoe75; 01-03-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

which bars are we talking about? where is it located?

it is the one that runs horizontally or vertically?

i'm trying to figure this out and fix it by myself.

thank you
Old 01-03-2017, 05:31 PM

The two thin black bars run horizontally across the length of the upper part of the trunk. You need to really stick your head in there and look up.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello,

I checked but maxima does not have thin bars as you described.

I'm going in for stealership tomorrow and so we'll see.

thank you
Old 01-04-2017, 01:00 PM

They are there I checked on my Maxima, they are a little hidden by some felt material.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got it fixed.

It was a loose rear speaker. Thanks for your inputs.

Ps. First thing they checked was two thin bars in the trunk. They were ok
Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max242
My trunk seems to make a thumping noise on bumpy roads. Dealer was not able to find issue. I removed everything from trunk including spare and its alot better only makes the noise on large bumps and not in any consistent fashion. So I'm guessing the reduction in weight might make this a suspension issue. Issue occurs in normal or sport mode.Any ideas? 2016 max SR
So after driving around without spare I'm still getting the noise issue. It's a bit more frequent so I'll take it back to dealer so they can check it out again. I checked bars mentioned and they seem to be secured with 1 clip. I need to check speakers make sure everything is nice and tight before I try dealer again.
thanks
Old 12-19-2022, 08:07 AM

Well, this is interesting. I have had the pop/clunk from my front and rear. I finally scheduled an appointment because I found that other thread mentioning Nissan extending and covering a rear link that could make noise and potentially break:
Rear suspension link 10 year warranty extension - Maxima Forums

We went for test drive and they spent two hours looking at it. I was told the rear suspension components were fine and the noise was from the rear glass! They told me there is no threat of breaking a seal of anything catostropic. The expense would be quite large to remove the rear glass and reset it - guess I have to live with the noise.

Concerning my front, they would not diagnose without charging. I think it is my strut mount so may change them once weather gets warmer next year.
Old 06-25-2023, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by MaxJoe75
The two thin black bars run horizontally across the length of the upper part of the trunk. You need to really stick your head in there and look up.
Known as torsion bars.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noise in trunk

Mine was the exhaust heat shield under the car. I bent it around a little bit and no more noise.