4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1995 Nissan Maxima SE: Chain or Belt?

Old 06-15-2002, 12:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1995 Nissan Maxima SE: Chain or Belt?

I'm looking into purchasing a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE. I've heard different answers from different dealers regarding whether that year had a chain or a belt. Which one is it? If its a chain or belt, if it snaps while im idling/driving the vehicle, will the valves hit the pistons? Is this an interference motor?

I'm getting the car on a deal and want to make sure I don't have to do any preventative maintenance before I sign my signature on that bill of sale.

I appreciate all the help in advance, thank you!
Old 06-15-2002, 12:37 PM
Keven97SE

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima SE: Chain or Belt?

All 95-up Maximas use a timing CHAIN that requires no regular service or replacement. We do have interference-type engines, though, so if the chain snaps, you'll bend/break valves and additional severe engine damage will result. I've never heard of one breaking, though, and there are people with well over 200K miles on their engines on this forum.

Service on this engine is very basic and cheap. Very very good selling point on this car.

Originally posted by BoostKreap
I'm looking into purchasing a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE. I've heard different answers from different dealers regarding whether that year had a chain or a belt. Which one is it? If its a chain or belt, if it snaps while im idling/driving the vehicle, will the valves hit the pistons? Is this an interference motor?

I'm getting the car on a deal and want to make sure I don't have to do any preventative maintenance before I sign my signature on that bill of sale.

I appreciate all the help in advance, thank you!

Old 06-15-2002, 12:39 PM

I believe its a chain I went through the same thing when buying my car. The 4th gens should all come with chains, the 3rds are a different matter.

As for preventative maintainence just check to see if the O2/Knock sensors have been replaced it is the most common problem on the max.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info! I talked to my dealer and they told me that the engine is a NON interference motor? I am so confused. Do people change their timing chains at all? I just don't want to have to shell out serious cash for an engine repair. How much do used engines for the Maxima go for?

I appreciate all your help. I'm a newbie to this. All the pics I see on the board of lowered maximas with the clear-sectioned lights and grills makes me want to pick this thing up RIGHT NOW Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:57 PM
Keven97SE

I checked the service manual but found no info on whether the engine is interference or not. The dealer may well be right. I've never heard of any chain failures so I really don't know, I just assumed that most 4-valve/cyl, high-comp motors are interference.

I'm not aware of any people here that have replaced their chain as a preventative measure, only if there was a lot of chain noise (indicating a possible near-future failure). Very few have replaced them even in this case. Replacing the timing chain is very expensive. There's a lot of labor involved.

Used Maxima engines are cheap, on the order of $1000 or less for relatively low-mile motors.

95-up Maximas are VERY inexpensive cars to maintain, and very reliable. The only major problems I'm aware of are:
- Some internal bearing failures on 95-99 5speed transmissions
- Some alternator failures

In spite of the transmission failure on my 97 5speed (had to replace with a used one that cost me $450), I'm very happy with the reliability of my car.

Originally posted by BoostKreap
Thanks for the info! I talked to my dealer and they told me that the engine is a NON interference motor? I am so confused. Do people change their timing chains at all? I just don't want to have to shell out serious cash for an engine repair. How much do used engines for the Maxima go for?

I appreciate all your help. I'm a newbie to this. All the pics I see on the board of lowered maximas with the clear-sectioned lights and grills makes me want to pick this thing up RIGHT NOW Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2002, 01:04 PM

I don't trust dealership salesmen to know ANYTHING about their cars.

The manufacturers' websites are very good sources of information regarding features and benefits. If you have a technical question, you gotta ask it places like here, or ask an SAE-Certified mechanic in the dealership service department.

I test-drove a Maxima last year, and the salesman, who rode along with me, told me it had a limited-slip differential on the REAR axle! ("Uh, this is a front-drive vehicle, pal. Why would the differential be back there?") That was funny...
Old 06-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know all about those damn chains. My timing chain casing was leaking oil and the timing chain and other components were getting covered in oil and cause my engine to plug up. Thats why I had to swap engines. It was ok in the end though cause I knocked off 112,000 miles with the new engine.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:34 PM

I just had my tranny flushed today and while I was waiting, I chatted with the manager of the store. He told me he had the exact same car (1995 SE) but it was loaded, had leather, Bose, etc.

Get this:
1) He told me that when he bought the car brand new, he paid $150 to have the dealer do a tune-up which added 30 hp

2) Our timing chains need to be changed every 60k or so

3) He was the first guy to put a bodykit on his car when he got it brand new, the 2nd gu ywas from California

*sigh* .... what we have to put up with these days.