Advance Paint and Body Work Discuss painting and body work techniques. Frame and body panel repairs, PDR, proper use of chemical and safety equipment.

Help painting car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help painting car

Hey guys! 98.5 SE max here! New to the community. Found some reel valuable info on here so far. Great site. Seems like lots of nice peeple. Just had a quick question for u guys. My max has reely bad rust on all of the 4 rocker panels and on the floor and roof as well. Needless to say the rust is a gross color so I'm wondering what kind of paint I should use to paint over it. My girlfriend suggested acrylic which I thought was a decent idea but I was leaning more towards plasti dip. Any input/expeerince would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM

I painted my 98 last year using SW Ultra7000 Urethane paint. Urethane is more durable and will last longer than the cheaper Acrylic. Before painting you want to remove all the rust. I had to grind off sections of the quarter panels then weld on sheet metal. Also had to install new fenders. The mudflaps have kept my rocker panels in good shape.

My left side inner quarter panel where the EVAP canister hangs is about to fall off so I'll be enhancing my tools again over the next few weeks.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool man thanks for the input. What type of paint brush would you reccomend? Or would it come in a spray bottle?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM

If you plan on painting over rust, dont even waste your time or money. The rust will bleed through and just get worse. You would have to have all the rust removed, prior to painting for any kind of real results.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 98.5 SE Max
Cool man thanks for the input. What type of paint brush would you reccomend? Or would it come in a spray bottle?
I used the DevilBiss GTI620 HVLP paint gun along with a DevilBiss 60 gallon air compressor.

If you don't have an air compressor then use cans for painting but it won't be as smooth.

Some members have done that

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...n-weekend.html
Old 09-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That seems like a great painting tool. Where'd you get it? I'm sure something like that could reely come in handey. Excuse me for I have no experience with paint weapons but what would something like that cost me? Money is tight with having a babey on the way!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh and anyone have any experience with rust removal?
Old 09-08-2014, 05:38 PM

The tools and paint needed to get your MAX looking new again will far exceed the cost of having an autobody shop do it.

The only cheap way of painting a vehicle yourself is using cans.

Rust can be sanded off if it's just starting to eat away the metal. If it's already deep it will need to be grinded off. Whichever it is rust needs to be completely removed or it'll just bleed thru your paint like CustomLowz stated.

Not to be rude but use google to get simple questions answered.

Last edited by jholley; 09-08-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
The tools and paint needed to get your MAX looking new again will far exceed the cost of having an autobody shop do it.

The only cheap way of painting a vehicle yourself is using cans.

Rust can be sanded off if it's just starting to eat away the metal. If it's already deep it will need to be grinded off. Whichever it is rust needs to be completely removed or it'll just bleed thru your paint like CustomLowz stated.

Not to be rude but use google to get simple questions answered.

I was thinking the same thing as far as cost goes..
Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Spray cans do not come in urethane, just acrylic and some have a basic form of enamel. Nothing in a spray can holds a candle to what you can spray on with a gun as far as quality is concerned. If you do not know anything about car paint don't bother with a gun/compressor setup. The learning curve is kind of steep if you haven't used one before.

For the rust, once it is sanded down/ground off, put some POR15 on. I used it on my rocker panels, works really well. Its not cheap, but worth it.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Finkle
Spray cans do not come in urethane, just acrylic and some have a basic form of enamel. Nothing in a spray can holds a candle to what you can spray on with a gun as far as quality is concerned. If you do not know anything about car paint don't bother with a gun/compressor setup. The learning curve is kind of steep if you haven't used one before.

For the rust, once it is sanded down/ground off, put some POR15 on. I used it on my rocker panels, works really well. Its not cheap, but worth it.
You are correct that pre-made paint cans are not urethane based. But the fact is you can get mixed urethane paints in cans. Stores like NAPA can mix urethane based paint and seal them in cans. I had this done years back before I spent thousands on auto painting tools.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 98.5 SE Max
Hey guys! 98.5 SE max here! New to the community. Found some reel valuable info on here so far. Great site. Seems like lots of nice peeple. Just had a quick question for u guys. My max has reely bad rust on all of the 4 rocker panels and on the floor and roof as well. Needless to say the rust is a gross color so I'm wondering what kind of paint I should use to paint over it. My girlfriend suggested acrylic which I thought was a decent idea but I was leaning more towards plasti dip. Any input/expeerince would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
honest opinion....
drive it until you don't feel it's safe to continue driving and then just junk it.

you have rusting in pretty much the entire car...it'll take A LOT of effort to fix correctly and from your replies you're not looking to get this fix properly.

ANYTHING you slap on the car just buys you months/weeks...but rust will still continue.

only way to get rid of rust is cut it out and weld/bolt in a new panel.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:52 AM

I'm with DanNY, drive it into the ground. A 98 covered in rust but still runs...still only worth maybe $1000.