Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Has anyone modified K-sport coilovers to be more street friendly/comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 PM
SLOW

Has anyone modified K-sport coilovers to be more street friendly/comfortable?

I have K-sports (Kontrol Pro model I believe) and the ride is just too stiff for a daily driver in a city like Chicago. They are great on the track and on very smooth roads, but Chicago and "smooth roads" don't go together.

I need to either get an entirely different suspension setup, or make these K sports not ride so rough.

I'm lowered about 2.5" all around and I love the look, and I'm not bottoming out except over really large bumps, but just driving over small ripples/uneven pavement is really bad, let alone hitting significant bumps/bulged expansion joints, etc.

I realize that if I go with a softer spring on them that I will use up my suspension travel that much more quickly on each bump. Raising them up some is probably going to be necessary, but at that point (lets say an inch an a half drop rather than 2.5") there's not much point in having the coilovers in the first place.

Wondering what changes if any you guys have tried to make to your K-sports and how things went with that change or if it was futile and I should just sell them to someone who wants stiff/low suspension and get a spring/strut setup.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Got Retrofit?

I ride mine on full stiff and zero preload with no complaints. I will be replacing the shocks with BCs using the top/bottom KSport mounts. I wonder how that will affect the ride.

Only doing this because I blew a rear and got a full set of BCs off another car for under $350
Old 05-16-2015, 08:10 PM

Wait...coilovers are for low life?
Thought they helped at the track even if you don't want low.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:26 PM

If this was anyone else posting this, i would say you installed your coilovers improperly.

Fortunately for you ill be there in a little over a month and if i deem them worse than houston roads, you're SOL. Stock suspension for you sir.

WIth the mild stock setup that comes out of the box on 99% of coils that hit maximas, there really is no room to go down [in terms of performance]. Like i said I'll personally find out about chi city very soon.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I ride mine on full stiff and zero preload with no complaints. I will be replacing the shocks with BCs using the top/bottom KSport mounts. I wonder how that will affect the ride.

Only doing this because I blew a rear and got a full set of BCs off another car for under $350
How did you manage to get rid of the noise from the ksports without any preload? I read through the ksport thread and a lot of people including myself had to put some (barely any) preload just to keep it from making noise.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by bloodthirstyemu
How did you manage to get rid of the noise from the ksports without any preload? I read through the ksport thread and a lot of people including myself had to put some (barely any) preload just to keep it from making noise.
I never had any noise whatsoever. The only thing I would do is put some grease at the top/bottom of each spring.