All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Engine removal

Old 01-19-2007, 07:05 PM

Engine removal

I'm pulling the engine out of my 95 max right now and am a bit of a tough spot. How are you guys getting access to the rear motor mount? Is it possible to unbolt it w/o removing the lower cross member under the engine or does that have to come out? Because I am not able to get at one of the bolts to remove both the shifter rods w/o that cross member being removed either. I'm only asking because one of the bolts on the cross member will NOT come out, I've shattered 2 sockets trying to remove it with an air gun, even after heating it up. Any tips here? As this is all thats holding me from progressing with my work.
Whats out so far:

The cross member I cannot get out in case it wasnt clear
Old 01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by venompwr2
I'm pulling the engine out of my 95 max right now and am a bit of a tough spot. How are you guys getting access to the rear motor mount? Is it possible to unbolt it w/o removing the lower cross member under the engine or does that have to come out? Because I am not able to get at one of the bolts to remove both the shifter rods w/o that cross member being removed either. I'm only asking because one of the bolts on the cross member will NOT come out, I've shattered 2 sockets trying to remove it with an air gun, even after heating it up. Any tips here? As this is all thats holding me from progressing with my work.
Whats out so far:

The cross member I cannot get out in case it wasnt clear
You don't need to remove the crossmember, but you will have to remove the shifter rods regardless. You don't have to remove the crossmember to remove the shifter rods. Simply use a 14mm box end wrench. It's a little slow that way since you can only turn the bolt like a 1/4 turn each time.

You should be able to access the rear mount from underneath the car or even up above. It's not terribly hard to get to, but it helps if you have a 1/2" socket wrench with a flexible head.

An air gun isn't going to loosen the crossmember bolts because they are bolted up agaist rubber and the rubber will absorb the hammer blows the airgun will give.

If you want to remove the crossmember, you will need a 24" breaker bar with a 1/2" 17mm socket. You may even heed to use a cheater bar in addition to that.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Weimar Ben
You don't need to remove the crossmember, but you will have to remove the shifter rods regardless. You don't have to remove the crossmember to remove the shifter rods. Simply use a 14mm box end wrench. It's a little slow that way since you can only turn the bolt like a 1/4 turn each time.

You should be able to access the rear mount from underneath the car or even up above. It's not terribly hard to get to, but it helps if you have a 1/2" socket wrench with a flexible head.

An air gun isn't going to loosen the crossmember bolts because they are bolted up agaist rubber and the rubber will absorb the hammer blows the airgun will give.

If you want to remove the crossmember, you will need a 24" breaker bar with a 1/2" 17mm socket. You may even heed to use a cheater bar in addition to that.
I'll give it another try tomorrow. I dont have small hands or arms so I have some trouble reaching into certain places with a wrench. I removed all of the bolts on teh crossmember except for 1 that doesnt want to come out, I even tried a breaker bar with a 60" pipe and it just shattered the socket. So I guess removing that is out, unless I grind down the bolt more. Thanks though!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Maxima Owner

must i come over to save u again...i dunno what i got going on tomorrow but if i can ill stop by with some more fun tools
Old 01-19-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
must i come over to save u again...i dunno what i got going on tomorrow but if i can ill stop by with some more fun tools
All set! I was able to undo the mount from the engine from the side, and then was able to remove the cross member and then removed the shifter rods. I suppose its possible to unbolt the shift rods w/ the cross member there but I was not able to get a wrench on there very well with the way its angled. Anywho thanks for the tip and now I can pull the motor out and get started with the fun stuff.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Maxima Owner

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy...sorry i was busy all day today...damn wedding plans