All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

My n/a project

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by SilMax00
I was comparing a modification that is proven to give some major gains in power.

I wish our cars would get parts like this made for us:

http://www.spswebpage.com/store/inde...ca38c589fbb00c
Yeah, so do I.

doublea, what are you other plans? Like pistons or cams? thoughts about it yet?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM

The 20K doesn't include the cost of the car, the car is paid anyway. That may sound a lot of money, but when rebuilding a car this is pocket change compare to other who are sometime throwing 40-50K + in a project. Just a Vortech V2T trim brand new probably cost 3K alone, Matty's V1 kit cost 1200$, Cattman headers 850$, all the stock parts that I'm replacing with brand new parts, the new paint job and body works will cost me 5K, a set ofnew wheel and rubber along with new wheel hub and bearing and the list go on and on and on.

Just got back from the shop " JT Precision Racing Heads " Jocelyn the tech guy I met was very nice and courteous, I brought one of the head to see what he think, he took a look at the head and checked the valve clearance, after looking all around, he offer me to re-do the seats and regrind the valve, he said that the stocker are of very good quality and would not worth it to replace. He also suggested that I replace all the exhaust valve guide with manganese/bronze since those have better lubrication quality compare to the stocker wich are made iron and have a bigger offset. For the valve guide he refer me to: http://www.ferrea.com/

Now for the cost, he's charging me 600$ CDN to re-do the seats, re-grind the valves and replace all the exhaust valve guide, he said it would take 2-3 weeks to complete if I bring the jobs this month, he said they are very very busy between march until the end of june. It's a no brainer, I'm going to finish the porting jobs on both heads and bring it to this shop at the end of this month. I also need to contact Ferrea to have some custom valve guide made for my VQ30DEK.

I'll let you know what come up with Ferrea.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 AM

I think I might now skip the VQ35 CAM and follow many members suggestion & buy some Nismo knock off from e-bay...

I already got the HR spring, double shim & new retainer as well as customs Arias piston.
I'll definitely order the Cattman headers in the next few weeks. I'm ordering the phenolic spacer material so I can fabricate my own spacer for the LIM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by doublea
Just a Vortech V2T trim brand new probably cost 3K alone, Matty's V1 kit cost 1200$, Cattman headers 850$, all the stock parts that I'm replacing with brand new parts
Yeah, except that in the end they will end up with more useable power. Don't get me wrong, this is a good project and I always encourage what limited NA efforts we have here on the .org, but it's the $20k I don't get, not your project. I still fail to see how you're dropping the cost of a new car on what could be considered a somewhat "mild" build.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Yeah, except that in the end they will end up with more useable power. Don't get me wrong, this is a good project and I always encourage what limited NA efforts we have here on the .org, but it's the $20k I don't get, not your project. I still fail to see how you're dropping the cost of a new car on what could be considered a somewhat "mild" build.
It sounds to me like he's rebuilding the entire car... ??? engine, wheels/tires, body/paint, etc. etc....

Eek - if I add the original price of my new '99 to the tow truck, trailer, trannys, 3 engines and builds/installations, N2O stuff, wheels and multiple tires/slicks, audio, helmet, fire jacket, and a bunch of misc. small parts, I have over $55K in that car.

Didn't I see the new Murano advertised this week?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Toolie

Sorry to butt into the thread, but has anyone proven any gains with a port matched upper/lower IM? I've been doing this with a spare upper IM I came across a while back but I still haven't seen if it is worth it or not.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:45 PM

I'm just a freak who has work his butt's off during the last 25 years and was smart enough to put money on the side, and now that I'm wealthy I like to do thing my own way, it's been a long time since I wanted to do this and now that I can afford it I'm doing it, I mean is there anyone who doesn't understand that now ? How much is that cost to build an engine ? I'm not saying just slapping bolts on I mean custom stuff just like the pro but me I do it for my own fun, it's my passion.

Just the exhaust valve guide that will be custom made by C.H.E Precision of Newbury - CA are made of manganese/bronze and cost 25$ a pieces, I need to buy 12 of them that's 300$ spent in 5 minutes, if I made a complete list I wouldn't be surprise if that would exceed 20K. The heads jobs that will be done, should cost me 1200$-1500$ that doesn't include new valve or gasket and what not. So I'm still curious to see why Tatenko seem to think that I'm a bullchitter ? not that I care that much but when someone challenged me I never back-off.

P.S: By the way my engine is going to be S/C with a V2 T Trim so I'm not going to run this engine N/A anymore.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Still, N/a you might push upwards of what we've seen here on the org.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I was to blow anywhere near this amount I'd have a stroked VQ35 sitting in my engine bay. Still curious to see how this will turn out.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 PM

This thread has taken some serious twists.

Just my feeling on all this. HP/dollar is not being spent wisely at all here (blower cost aside). And I'm NOT talking 80/20 rule either. For example, aft. cams. & vq35 heads > vq35 stockers + headwork, and cheaper two, And that's just one aspect.

I would have focused the budget more towards Engine management, reciprocating assembly, boosted cam grinds, and a trannsmission that wouldn't blow up..
Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I'm just a freak who has work his butt's off during the last 25 years and was smart enough to put money on the side, and now that I'm wealthy I like to do thing my own way, it's been a long time since I wanted to do this and now that I can afford it I'm doing it...

This is the difference between a mechanic and a craftsman - take your time, do it your way, for your own reasons, and enjoy the journey. You'll have something special when you're finished.

Some of us appreciate the story you've been sharing as you go ahead with your dream.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM

I'm one of them. Do what you feel. I'll be waiting for the next update.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
This thread has taken some serious twists.

Just my feeling on all this. HP/dollar is not being spent wisely at all here (blower cost aside). And I'm NOT talking 80/20 rule either. For example, aft. cams. & vq35 heads > vq35 stockers + headwork, and cheaper two, And that's just one aspect.

I would have focused the budget more towards Engine management, reciprocating assembly, boosted cam grinds, and a trannsmission that wouldn't blow up..

I feel confortable to work with this engine, also like I've stated in another thread I wanted to keep the originality of the car and wanted to see how far I can push it, oh and perhaps I wanted to do something different.

A good amount of my budget will go into other aspect that you mentioned but haven't been discussed much yet because I'm not at that stage, so for now I'm focussing on where I stand, next month once the heads are completed it's going to be something else. Please dont assume anything, I just cant discuss everything at the same time, it's a work in progress and obviously thing may change.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
This is the difference between a mechanic and a craftsman - take your time, do it your way, for your own reasons, and enjoy the journey. You'll have something special when you're finished.

Some of us appreciate the story you've been sharing as you go ahead with your dream.

I like the definition that you give it's very near what I think. I studied in mechanic 30 years ago, but I decided down the road that it's not what I wanted to do for living since mechanic was more of a passion and foremost I found out that I could make many time the salary of a mechanic by being a consultant.

Thanks for the good words.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:53 PM
SLOW

Wait a minute - you said the other day in a thread that you were worried about losing a couple hundred dollars if you were to re-sell your $450 Arias VQ30 pistons and you were saying how expensive it is to pick up a VQ35 in your part of the world (you're in NZ or AU or something, right?) and that was your reasoning for going with the DEK, and now you're stating that you're spending $20,000 on the building of this car?

I am extremely interested in your project from an engineering perspective - you're doing things that have not - as far as I know - been done to the VQ30 by anyone on the .org. I do want to see the results of your project. However I still can't wrap my head around your logic. I wish you luck though, keep at it.

Last edited by Nealoc187; 02-08-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 AM

Hey Nealoc187, this entire project has been started as a long time dream, at first I wanted to buy and old american muscle car and re-build it over a couple of year, then after thinking about it I figured out why should I start from a junk car when I have a modern car that can be pushed to a certain extend. Whenever you do a project like this you have to take so many decision that are not always obvious. At first I was considering swapping a VQ35 but what I wanted to do is build the car not just swapping an engine, perhaps I felt more confortable to work on what I have so the decision to build the VQ30DEK made sense. I mean i have the engine and it is in very good condition but I understand that the VQ35 produce more HP and may have more support out there, but I'd rather do something different than just follow what others have done before. A part of the equation is not necessary based on logic but rather choice and potential to see something that has not been done, no matter the result. Just want to clarify a thing or two about the Arias piston, when I first bough these I was thinking to turbo the car, but I ended up buying Matty's V1 kit, but because I have the piston why not using it, lowering the compression could help me in many aspect, and perhaps with lower compression the engine will be able to sustain more psi from the S/C. When I said that if I dont use the Arias I will end up selling it for peanuts ( it's alway what happend when you buy part and end up selling it to recover a bit of $$$), why should I do that I bought those with a plan so I'm just sticking with the plan. I knew right from the beginning that I will have to face resistance but I dont mind dealing with it.

Last edited by doublea; 02-09-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:38 AM

Here is partial list of what I'm thinking for my build, I may forgot things but I though of making a list so maybe this help everyone know that I have the best intention for this build.

Arias piston ( got it )
Custom rods
VQ35 head Bolts & VQ30DEK rod bolts ( got it )
Custom phenolic spacer/gasket ( need to order when available )
Custom P&P on the heads, LIM & UIM ( completed )
Port match heads, LIM, UIM, Cattman headers & all gasket ( just missing Cattman Headers but will soon )
TOGA HV Oil Pumps ( got it )
SS braided hose ( need to get )
3" charge pipe ( need to get )
Intercooler ( need to get )
Custom real Dual 2-2.5 Exhaust With X pipe ( yes the spare tire room will be cut & black box will be moved)
Emanage Ultimate and whatever harness & option that is required ( need to get )
O2 WideBand ( need to get )
Fuel pressure regulator & gages ( I have the FPR, missing the gages )
Bigger injectors (550cc - 650cc ) ( need to get )
Oil catch can ( need to get )
Vortech Race BOV ( got it )
Vortech V3 T Trim & 2.87 pulley or V3 ( need to get )
HR spring, retainer & double shim ( got it )
VQ35 cam & Stephen's max cam adaptor ( got it )
Wallbro fuel pump ( it think it's the 255 something, just cant remember now )
Matty'S V1 starter kit ( got it )

6 speed swap or auto build up ( 6 speed swap is growing strong on me )
Stronger clutch than the stocker
New wheel hub & bearing ( got it )
New tie-rods ( got it )
New front sway bar ( stocker is torn ) ( got it )
New radiator & SS hoses ( need to get it )

I already have all the ES bushing installed, ES motor mount, D2 coil-over ( will be replace by better one ), big brake kit in front, FSTB & RSB & RSTB

Custom Paint Jobs & body works ( I already have all the stock except the paint )
JDubs Body Kit ( got it )
New 19" wheel & rubber ( need to get it ) I said 19 but I should have said 18 or 19
since my friend just remind me that mtl is not florida so I might just stick with 18 x 8-9 rear & 18 x 8-8.5 in front but not sure if I'll go staggered...

As few suggested a complete engine balancing & reciprocating ( I found a good shop )

That's what I can see for now, so I hope it help some of you have better idea of this build, I'll update the list when parts get in.

Have a good sunday every one.

Cheers

AA

Last edited by doublea; 09-05-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Bacon Lover

Wait a second. When did this become a boosted project? I was always under the assumption that this was (as the thread title states) an NA project...That's cool if it's not, but I'm pretty sure I read the whole thread and never saw that. Whatever, more power to you (pun intended ).
Old 02-10-2008, 09:13 AM

I created the thread title after splitting this off from another thread. I thought it was an n/a build too....?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 AM

It was. Until he decided to go boosted. Its an NA project, with boost.

Anyhow, thats an impressive list. I would not go 19" though, just my opinion. I would go either 17x9 or 18x9, but 17" < 18" in lbs so...

Oh and Id like to see a 6spd swap!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 AM

Your right nismology, but the reasons I posted in the N/A forum, is because I though the knowledge of the people in this forum would better help me with this project. I though that many people in the N/A might be a little more ingenious since they dont have the big budget to make their car go faster or to be better in other aspect. You guys should take this as a compliment, even though many may disagree with some of the choice I already made, I enjoy reading your reply & comments.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Bacon Lover

I agree with the 6-speed and 17" wheel comments, too. I think you'll have more fun with the 6-speed and the 17" is my personal preference as well as I think 17" > 19" in terms of tire choices for a boosted car. Don't go trying to be baller like the 1000HP Supra guys and their 20" rims with rubber bands for tires and no traction
Old 02-10-2008, 11:29 AM

I already have 17" rim but since i want wider rubber i need to replace the rim but it's not a bad idea to stick with let say 17 x 9 in the rear with 265/40 and 17 x 8.5 front with 255/40 tire. The 6 speed mate with the VQ30dek is appealing since the front end of the car is all open so that's going to be much easier to pierce a hole in the floor for the clutch pedal assembly. I need to read about this possible swap, like what ECU to use and also how to clear the code cuz apparently the emission test are going to be mandatory here in the next year or two so I better be prepare since they wont tolerate any ses & code...
Old 02-10-2008, 12:06 PM

You're gonna need a wide tire in the fronts...haha. Stick with 9inch for both front and rear, that way you can rotate your tires.

AFAIK, I didnt think the 6spd threw codes.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
You're gonna need a wide tire in the fronts...haha. Stick with 9inch for both front and rear, that way you can rotate your tires.
I agree. I also don't believe the 6-speed creates code problems, at least not manual -> manual. However he's coming from an auto. Perhaps picking up a 5-speed ECU would be best for you so that your current auto ECU doesn't flip out whenever there's no auto tranny and TCU there for it to communicate with. There are ways to eliminate the codes, IIRC, but you'd be best off simply not having the codes in the first place.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Hey Tatenko, would a manual 5.5th gen ecu be better than the 5th gen manual ecu ?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:04 AM

You have to stick with a 5th gen ECU.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by nismology
You have to stick with a 5th gen ECU.
+1. Not to mention we're talking about a manual transmission, which has no interaction with the computer. I merely suggested a 5-speed ECU to eliminate the inevitable issues with the auto computer flipping out when it receives no signal from the auto tranny. If you switch to a 5.5 gen manual ECU, it's going to want to interact with the 3.5L and all the things associated with it that are different from the DE-K.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the precision Tatanko. The chase for a 6 speed and ecu is going to start soon.

Cheers

AA
Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM

+1 on the six speed man, good luck!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Bacon Lover

Thanks for the precision Tatanko. The chase for a 6 speed and ecu is going to start soon.

Cheers

AA
Glad I could talk you into it Haha.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM

I put the auto tranny for sale in the f/s section.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=553870

I just got off the phone with Claude at CHE, they will fabricate me a complete set of mangenese/bronze valve guide for the VQ30DEK at 10$ each it's a pretty good deal considering the price was supposed to be 25$ each and the stocker are 20$.

I'm getting there with the P&P jobs on the heads, I'm doing the final polishing of the exhaust port, the first head is pretty much done at this time, well another 2 hours and the first one is done. I hope to have the second head finished by the end of this month, once this aspect is over, thing will get at a much faster speed.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 PM

very interesting, here I am sitting at 2:34am and read this entire thread. I am heading into a similar path, but starting as boosted now and looking to up the engine in similar ways. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:10 AM

Hey guys, this is a great day today,this is OT but so important to me as I'm fulfilling my longtime dream. Yesterday I made an offer on 2003 E39 M5 Midnight Blue, fully loaded with low mileage, the car is in pristine condition and only had one owner, the dealer just call me 5 minutes ago to confirm they accept my offer, so I'm like woooooooohoooooooooooooo. I now need to take care of the financial aspect and have the car ship to Canada but the details are been taking care of this week.

Gee I never been so excited lately. BTW that doesn't change a thing for the max build as I'm still going forward with the build.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

BTW that doesn't change a thing for the max build as I'm still going forward with the build.
Good to hear.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:03 PM

do we know what gains will be had/ expected with bigger valves?? i havent read or seen anything like this done on the maxima/Z. lots of luck w the build!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 AM

Bigger valve without a proper Port & polish jobs wont give that much if any gain at all. With a good P&P jobs on the heads, LIM & UIM along with a port match on all + matching headers with exhaust port and gasket then the gain should be unveil, but until we dyno'd who can predict what it will be ? I'm doing so much work that's I think it's going to be an all around thing and once everything is all put together and tune properly I have no doubt in my mind that this engine will breath much better. I'm finishing the first head today so I will post some pics later today.

P.S: On a side note, my dealer doesn't want to give me a break for the Murano, even though my wife want to buy a Rogue and pay it cash. I'll keep it until the end of lease and then I'll give it back to the dealer ( end of summer ), but in the meantime my wife is going to call every single Nissan dealer in the city and buy the Rogue from the best deal she can get. This mean no M5 for me this year but on the other hand I'll do everything to finish my 2k1 build for this coming spring. I will delay the M5 purchase for spring 2009. I'm very disappointed of this situation but the cash will go on the 2k1 build for now and hopefully I'll have my 2k1 for the summer.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 AM

Fresh pics...

Hey guys, here is some pics I took with my i-phone, this is a bunch of pics of the first heads, this is where I am with the jobs now, the valve jobs is not done at this stage.

Basically I did the intake side with a rough finish ( 80 grid ) bit I smooth out a little bit with a cross buff. The exhaust side have been highly polish to make a very smooth finish and prevent carbon build-up.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 AM

More pics...

Here is some more pics.

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/2k1maxima/IMG_0195.jpg[/IMG
Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Quick Reply: My n/a project