All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

My n/a project

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 PM

I just saw this thread and your engine bay is to drool over ... Reminds me of the shiny lowriders with enough chrome/polished parts to make you go blind.

I remember when I did my 3.5 swap and I did not install cam adapters and the timing was WAY off. It did fire up just fine but it backfired out the intake manifold and literally spat fire and almost burned my friend that was holding the TB open. It was kind of cool to watch but scared me pretty good as it sounded like gun shots.

Anyways enough rambling... Try checking the simple stuff first like fuses, relays, etc. I think the inline fuse for the IACV is a good idea to protect the ecu being that it's such a vital part of the car. Not sure what amperage rating would be best.

Best of luck to you on your project! Don't give up!

Last edited by deloa84; 05-27-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the advice, yesterday I made a thorough clean-up of the garage, plug the battery charger, verified the grounds and since the battery is in the trunk now, I found out that a big ground cable that goes from the battery negative to the engine was not plug on the chassis, so I took car of this. My car fired up last year and was revving pretty good beside the IACV that was shooting to the roof, so I would be surprise if the timing is wrong, I know I mention it but rethinking made me clear that doubt. I'm going to fire it up tonight and see what happen, but I have the feeling that the ECU has not be repaired properly so this is on the agenda. I have a ECU but I need to reprogram the key with the Datascan II software and I just found the key ring yesterday. I think I'm getting close to start the engine back. I still have another 40 or 50 hours to put before I drive the car on the road. I need to get a new windshield and a hood, get the car to the paint shop, it need an alignement, fix the rack & pignon boot, redo the oil pan gasket, coolant tube on the engine side is leaking, put the wallbro back in the tank, replace the fuel regulator for the adjustable one, front door are not installed, the front seats need to be bolt to the floor, I have to finish the dual exhaust etc. I mean still many thing to do but first I need to fire the engine and then I'll rock on the finishing.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Kevlo for President

niceee - stupid ecu

well hopefully you get closer
Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Hey DoubleA How have you been!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:57 AM

Hey guys, Hi Drunkie, it's been a while... I'm doing fine event though I will be hitting 54 soon, but that's life and I'm healthy and top shape. So no complaints.

Some people have inquire about the project because I have a bunch of parts for sale, so this project is not over. Many things have change over the last couple of years, like I have changed career and the new business was taking all my time and slow me down quite a bit with the project and others. The good new is I have put my construction company on the side since I was working way too much, I now work as a GM for another company and my life has never been better. I'm starting to have free time which is something I haven't enjoy much for the last couple of years. The new ECU is on the car now, I have yet to start the car, but I want to take care of this soon, my garage is full of construction materials so I can't really work with the car. As soon as the white stuff go away (meaning snow) I'm going to clean the garage for the x amount of time since the last year or so, this as been a PITA. As I said the new ECU is plugged in, but the battery is dead so I have to replace it, and hook Datascan to reprogram the key and see if the car will start. Once this is done I'm going to take care of all the small kinks here and there, so hopefully spring 2015 will be D day. I have started to post again and enjoy reading post on the forum. I'll keep you posted and perhaps post new pics shortly.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Awesome!
very glad to hear it.
you're an inspiration.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:51 AM

Spring time should be here in about a month and I have never been so primed to finish the work on the car and ride the car this summer. In about 2 weeks I will be cleaning the garage for the last time I hope, since I have started a new job, as a general manager in a kitchen cabinet shop. I have decided to no longer work in the construction, I will only manage few project a year but put away my tools. This will give me back my garage and some time to work on my car, something that I haven't much enjoy over the last 3 years. I have my life back so to speak and now I can enjoy my family and passion. So stay tune as I should have news on the car in the next couple of weeks.

Have a nice week-end guys.

AA
Old 02-21-2015, 11:31 AM

Great to hear. Can't wait to see this back on the road.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any news? You out cruising?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM

Hey guys, I hope all is well ?

As usual when spring kick in, I'm very busy with the construction business and barely have a life. I want to finish my season in dec and then take a break to decide what's next for me. I come to realize that I work way too much and dont enjoy life much any more.

Next week I will be on vacation, my wife and son left yesterday for the summer vacation in Florida , it was hard to see them going at the airport but I'm happy for them. I was supposed to be on vacation for 2 weeks but I have to finish a project this week so next week I'll be free to do whatever I want.

I plan to work most of the week on the car and do everything I can to start the engine.
I need to fix 2 leaks, (oil pan, coolant passage) then I'm going to make a thorough inspections before I crank it up. The new ECU is on, but I need to reprogram the key with the Datascan software otherwise the engine will remain silent. The laptop was down and came back today from ready to launch Nissan Datascan II.

If worst come to worst and it doesn't start, I have taken the decision to bring it to a local shop no matter the cost, I have been more than patient and it's been a little over 8 years that the car is garaged, this has to come to a happy ending.

I will post daily as I will probably need help down the line.

Cheers
AA

Last edited by doublea; 07-21-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Hey guys, I finally was able to hook up the NDSII software, I had to spend crazy hours to figure out why there was no connection, it was a mixture of windows permission and some weird setting in both windows and NDSII. I hate pc... but love my macs. Finally the software connect, now I need the generic code for the 2001 key, someone has posted the number sometime ago but I cant find it anymore, neither the ring that came with the key, once this is done I'll be able to crank the b*tch. If anyone can post it that would be greatly appreciate.

Ok got the key reprogrammed, FYI the code is 5223.

Now for the most part there is 2 faulty code: P505 and P1320. P1610 went away after the key was reprogram.

I know the P505 is related to the IAC valve, which is currently unplugged since I was affraid that it could fried the ECU again, I have a spare IAC that I could swap. I was told that the engine can still start without IAC, but I dont know if that is true.

P1320 seem to be related to the ignition coils, so I'm going to replace all the coils and see if the engine can start.

Last edited by doublea; 08-09-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:42 PM

I'm confident that I should be able to start the engine soon. After reading quite a bit about P1610 which concern the NATS (did I write it correctly ?) apparently after trying to start the engine too many time without success, the NATS system cut the fuel to the injectors and prevent the car from starting again until you erase the code or should I say reset the NATS. I'm surprise to see the OBDII consol has never seen this code, I was able to see the code with the NDSII software and erase it yesterday. This would explain why after successfully started the engine 18 months ago I have never been able to start it again. In the chronology of event, what happened is after I successfully started the engine on multiple occasion (5-6) I realized there was a faulty IAC valve but I did not replaced it, this end up being a big mistake, because it is known that a bad IAC end up frying the ECU, so the NATS prevent frying multiple ECU, that's the way I kind of understand this aspect.

Long story short I have ordered a new IAC and 6 grey dot ignition coils. Hopefully this should fix the P505 and P1320, worst case scenario I still have a new MAF laying around ( I think P1320 can also be triggered by a bad MAF). The 2 orders have been ship today, the coils are expected at the end of this week and the IAC by end of next week. Reasonably if I can start the engine next week, I'll just have to finish the dual exhaust set-up, fixing the oil pan leak and the coolant passage leak. I'm currently shopping for a TIG welder, but I might check with a local shop and see how much they would charge me to set-up the "À la M5 " dual exhaust set-up, Cattman has fabricated me a left muffler exactly like the one they sell, the rear end of the max will look awesome.

Last edited by doublea; 08-10-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great to see this is still going on! Can't wait to see it out of the garage!
Old 12-14-2015, 07:01 AM

Hey guys, the latest news is that I was able to clear all the codes, but needed to replace the Ignition coil, while doing so one of the rubber thingy got stuck on a spark plug and I cant take it out, because it's one of the rear coil, the access is limited. I have to take out the intake manifold and maybe the rear valve cover, I was so pi$$ed when it happened that I didn't touch the car for a while, I guess the sum of frustration get to us sometime, so I let it go for a while. I will be off from this friday to january 11th so I'll have plenty of time to work on the car and hopefully start the engine. I guess this is the last hiccup to the success right ?

Keep ya posted sooooonnnnnnn.

AA
Old 02-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Hey Double A!

How is it going? Did you get it going yet?
Old 03-23-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
Hey Double A!

How is it going? Did you get it going yet?
I'm having a bit of health issue, but I will be alright.

I have done some work on the car and found the problems, while I was replacing all the coils, one of the rubber grummet got stuck on the spark plug preventing the install of the new coils, so now I have to remove the intake, and valve cover etc.

If you remember at some point I was able to start the engine, but the rpm was shooting all over the place because of the faulty IACV, then I was busy with work and couple of weeks or months past before I could work on the car again, as soon as I had time I tried over and over the start the engine, replacing a bunch of stuff, dropping the oil 2 times because of the gas in the oil.

I also though the the ECU was fried again. Long story short, I find out that one of the code that I got on the scan was related to the NATS, like if you keep cranking over and over the system shut down to prevent the car theft. I have since replace the ECU, and with the Datascan I was able to reprogram the key, then the brand new battery that was sitting for 6 months was dead, so I had to buy another one, I have replaced the IACV and I now just need to remove the spar plug rubber thingy and hopefully this should close the long saga with the car.

The car will then be painted, but that along is another 8-10G unless I do it myself, which at this point is very possible. That is pretty much where it is now, hopefully I will start the engine sometime this spring (as soon as my discal hernia heel)

My wife was telling me that I should sell the car, so we can recover the garage space, I have kindly remind her that the garage was specifically build by me for this car. As I have always said this car is going no where and I will never sell it. How long will it take to be fully restored, I dont know the answer to that question but if I can finally resolve the engine problem once and for all, let me guess that the remaining will be a piece of cake.

Cheers

AA
Old 04-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Kevlo for President

how's it going man! long time no talk!

get rid of the iacv and just let it run...
Old 04-20-2016, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911

Hi Kevlo, ya it's been a while... Sometime life take a turn that you cant predict. I have been diagnose with a discal hernia after I got almost paralyzed for a couple of days, I had to go to the emergency since the pain was unbearable, but long story short, it took about a month a half before I could get back to a half normal life. Apparently it could take up to 2 years to heel.

I'm on the recovery side but one day I feel good and the other one I have sporadic rush pain that hit like a train out of no where. So I had to stop the construction business, I will only manage contract but mostly will spend my time on the cabinet making company that I have purchased recently. This health episode, has teach me that it is time to take care of myself and start enjoying life, I have worked very hard in my life and this has put a toll on me, ironically before I got struck by the discal hernia pain, the week before I was skiing and life was great.

I'm getting physiotherapy treatment so I cant start training again and hopefully prevent any hernia episode. I'm going to start working on the car as soon as I can, but hopefully the car should be up & running this summer, I still have to send it to the paint shop and that alone will cost close to 10G so I'm not sure if I'll have the cash to finish the car this summer.

The car has been garaged for over 8 years now, so if I have to wait another year then I guess that's no big deal right ? Because of all the hard work I have put on it, there is no way I won't finish the project, because of my change of career so to speak things will get easier for me in the coming months and years, as I will only work in business development and that alone will make it easy for my agin body.

Dont get me wrong I'm still very healthy and before that happened I was training hard to get back in the best shape of my life. I will definitely keep you guys posted and try to get back more often on the forum. Thanks a bunch for chiming in.

P.S: Do you live in Florida ? Cuz I'll be spending a week of vacation and arriving in Florida on may 21 st, I'll be at my friend house in Boynton Beach.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:14 AM

Hey guys, just though of stopping by and say hello. Over the last few years I haven't been much on the forum like I use to, a change of career and so many thing have happened that I could not finish my project in time like I wanted to. I have finally give up as a general contractor and got a very good job for the government, I'm starting monday may 1st, this will give me all the time I need to finish my maxima project. Here is where I stand at this point, first, like I've said I will never sell this car and it is still in my garage which is a bless since many 2001 are in the grave yard now, mine is in an incredible condition. As some may remember I have struggle to start the engine after the ECU fried which was caused by a faulty IAC valve, it took me some time to realize what was going on, since so many new parts where added to the car, so at some point I was confuse as to what was the problems. I ended-up swapping ECU, then I had to learn how to reprogram the key to match the new ECU, that was done with Nissan Data Scan II. Then I found out more problems, faulty fuel pump, wiring crap and finally the bad coil. I bought new ignition coil, but while removing all of them, one rubber thingy got stuck on the spark plug and despite all my efforts, I couldn't get it out, I was really frustrated because time was something I no longer had. A year pass since I decide to figure out a way to fix this very frustrating problem, so last week-end I decide to give it a shot, same issue and frustration, but the next day I remove the intake manifold and the valve cover. I have fabricated some sort of tool to break the rubber thingy, again all this crap took a lot of time, most of the rubber is now removed but there is still two chunk that left to be removed. I'm going to take care of this over the week-end and reassemble everything. I have made a thorough list of thing to check before I fire her up, so hopefully I should be able to start it very soon, that pertaining that no other major problems happend. I'm not giving up, when I started that project my son was 3-4 years old and he will turn 13 soon, time fly. I know I won't be driving the car this summer, but if I can get it to run I'd be very happy, I still have to replace the front windshield and paint the car the way it should. It seem that to get a great body work and paint this will run in the 8-10K, I dont have that cash now, so I might take care of this by myself over the next winter, I have painted multiple car in my life and I know how to do this job, but I'll see how my finance goes and will decide then. I'm off this week-end for the first time in so long so I'll take new pics and post here for you to enjoy. Keep up the good works guys. Cheers AA
Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM

Back to business...

Today I was able to put back pretty much everything in the engine bay, I finally was able to remove the rubber thingy from the middle rear spark plug, let me say this was such a pain in the right place, I was able to broke into small pieces and use blow air and shop vac to remove all the crap. I have replaced all 6 ignition coils. I'm now down to 2 last thing to fix, first I dont recall where the trottle cable and the vacuum cable goes like which one in front of the trottle body. The other thing is the fuel line, I believe the return is the rear one, right ? I have an adjustable fuel regulator that I want to install. I know I can search but I'm sure someone will be glad to help here so I can try to start it tomorrow or monday (I'm off on monday and will spend the day working on the car). Once the engine run it will be down to finishing the dual Cattman exhaust welding and some bracing in the rear end of the car, as some may recall I have chopped the spare tire donut in order to make some room underneath the car for a dual exhaust set-up. The anti-pollution has already been moved in the middle, I'll shoot some picture tomorrow for you guys to enjoy. I have enrolled for a TIG week-end training class on the WE of april 7th, until then I'm shopping for a TIG welder so I can put the exhaust together. My goal is finish all the mechanical part asap so I can start to do the body work and paint it sometime during summer. I found a pic showing where both calbes goes, so this is fix.

Last edited by doublea; 03-30-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911

How do you set it up ? Just unplug the 2 plug, it and adjust the idle screw on the trottle body so the engine doesn't stop ?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:41 PM

One more thing, I have a block plate for the VIAS, do I have to remove the rods inside the intake manifold ? what do I do with the 3 vacuum line ?
Old 06-18-2018, 03:17 PM

is she running ? i have read all posts in this thread in the last day lol this is the greatest thread ever and would like to see some sort of gratification for you amidst all of your troubles with the car as well as in your personal life
Old 06-18-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by doublea
One more thing, I have a block plate for the VIAS, do I have to remove the rods inside the intake manifold ? what do I do with the 3 vacuum line ?
yes you should remove the power rod from the intake when installing the vias block off. better to have it out anyway if your boosted, in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Hey guys I'm close...long story short I havent been able to start the engine, but I made progress, I had to swap all the coil after hooking up the Nissan DATA SCAN II and could understand or guessing why the engine refuse to start.
While swapping the ignition coil, one of the spark plug rubber grummet got stuck, I mean really stuck, it took me a while cus I had to remove the intake manifold, the valve cover and had to fabricate a tool in order to cut the rubber
thingy that was litterally glued to the spark plug, I dont recall the number of hours it took me... I was so pissed off that I had to put the projet on the side for a while. it was the rear center ingition coil which is very difficult to access.

Anyway this part is done and the engine is fully assembled, the ECU has been swap and re initialised with the Nissan Date Scan II, then I replaced the IACV, put back the stock fuel regulator and while I almost start the engine the battery died. Last week I got a brand new battery and bought and intelligent battery charger, I now need to another oil change, after cranking so many time the gas got into the oil pan.

This is where I stand as of today, but I'm going drop the oil over the week-end and try to start the biatch. If I cant start it up I'm going to look for a local shop and see if they help, I would need to tow the car but before, but I will give it one last try before I bet on a local shop. With so much invest in that project I'm a little nervous to leave the car in a shop. I'm planning on fixing the body and paint the car over the winter so I can finally enjoy it next spring. The car is such in a great condition, I mean it's been sitting in my garage since 2007 if I recall correctly, most 2001 are in the junk yard or in a bad bad shape, I haven't seen a nice one in a while. I'll probably end up giving it to my son in a couple of year, but not until he hit 20 something. I have put like 40G so far and probably put another couple of G to finish the interior and new wheel, supercharger etc, but before I want to hear the engine screem.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New here and blown away Bump

Im here 20 min from Boynton.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:13 PM

Hey guys, I hope you're doing fine. I still have the car and wont sell it, but the Maxima has to move since we need the space, to clear this dilemma, I'm going to build a new garage at
our country house and have a new place to finish her, I just cant work on the car, there is just too much stuff in the garage, but I'm quite busy with the work, the health issues are gone and I've never been that fit in my life, I'm training hard with my 16 years olf son since march.

It's just a matter of time before she goes back on the road, even though the car is not running yet, I'm happy because the 13 years it's been sitting in the garage, the car has been preserved and in it's in great condition. I just cant believe that I bought the car when I was 40 and now I'm 59. I'll keep chiming in once in a while, feel free to drop me a line or two.

Cheers AA
Old 11-12-2021, 05:41 PM

Hello guys, I've deleted my previous post, had multiple offer for the car but I chocked and couldn't resign to sell it, after all I have done and invested there is no way I could have let it go.

I know I have said it multiple time but the car will be finished by next year, I found a local shop that can help me resolve the problems the prevent the engine from starting, it's related to the ECU, IACV.
During my last attempt to start it, I might just have fried the ECU and IACV. Apparently, if one or the other is fried I have to replace both and put them in a certain order, but also the NAT safety system might be in a lock mode, like if someone is trying to steal it.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:44 AM

Best of luck getting it finished. I've been following this for a long time.