All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Emanage Ultimate on a 2002 5.5 Gen Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Anyone know where to get the greddy switch for the two step function? Or can you use a standard 1/8 audio plug?
The 1/8 audio plug is for datalogging on the EU itself. Activating the two step is all within the software.
Originally Posted by maxprivate
Been a while but for what its worth, He explains it in his earlier posts. Bring the airflow voltage out to the the water temp in wire, both of these are on the EMU. Then you set the parameter to send a constant 1 volt to the water temp sensor and it fools the emu. Im in the process of wiring in my EMU now on my 4th Gen.. almost done.

How did you guys running Aem Uego hook up the A/F harness to it? Its one grey and one white wire. Dandys write up says get the signal and ground from the O2 sensor but not sure from the sensor itself, the ECU, or which O2 sensor. Thanks to anyone that chimes in.
Looking at the option port on the emanage left pin is signal, right is ground.
I used the ground on the 4 pin UEGO connector and connected that to both the EU ground and the option port ground (I powered the wideband off of the EU's power line, so all of the connections were right there)
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Looking at the option port on the emanage left pin is signal, right is ground.
I used the ground on the 4 pin UEGO connector and connected that to both the EU ground and the option port ground (I powered the wideband off of the EU's power line, so all of the connections were right there)
Thanks smelly, that clears that up for the AEM Uego wideband.

Dandy notes about switch port wiring section 2.4 option 1 : I will use for Wide band but option 2 : can be used for pressure sensor or Wide (either), is that referring to the boost gauge?

I have the AEM digital boost gauge. But all that give you is boost pressure. Does that need to connect to the EU in anyway? Switch port wiring mentions getting the signal from the B+ red wire ( voltage supply ) OEM sensor and white wire to the signal line; black wire to the sensors ground. As we know its not an OEM sensor, its the boost gauge so Im a little confused on what to do with that.

Section 2.5 resister Wiring , I have a newer version of the EU, the person I bought it from said he bought it brand new in 2012. Should I still wire in the resisters to prevent a CEL for ignition signal code P1320 OR 0201?

Im not sure which version firmware I have but I read that the newer version EU have something built into the circuit to prevent that CEL without the resisters being wired in.

There is also 4 Dip switches to the very left looking at the EMU what are those for? I dont see anything about those in Dandys write up.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks smelly, that clears that up for the AEM Uego wideband.

Dandy notes about switch port wiring section 2.4 option 1 : I will use for Wide band but option 2 : can be used for pressure sensor or Wide (either), is that referring to the boost gauge?

I have the AEM digital boost gauge. But all that give you is boost pressure. Does that need to connect to the EU in anyway? Switch port wiring mentions getting the signal from the B+ red wire ( voltage supply ) OEM sensor and white wire to the signal line; black wire to the sensors ground. As we know its not an OEM sensor, its the boost gauge so Im a little confused on what to do with that.

Section 2.5 resister Wiring , I have a newer version of the EU, the person I bought it from said he bought it brand new in 2012. Should I still wire in the resisters to prevent a CEL for ignition signal code P1320 OR 0201?

Im not sure which version firmware I have but I read that the newer version EU have something built into the circuit to prevent that CEL without the resisters being wired in.

There is also 4 Dip switches to the very left looking at the EMU what are those for? I dont see anything about those in Dandys write up.
I was under the impression that the second option port could be used for an aftermarket map sensor if you want to tune off of the MAP, rather than MAF. That's as far as my knowledge goes for MAP sensors.

I'd plug the EU in and go from there if you get the codes or not. I hardwired the resistors inside of the EU itself.

The dip switches are controlled by the EU software. You can set it up to turn maps off and on.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Black Lion

I was under the impression that the second option port could be used for an aftermarket map sensor if you want to tune off of the MAP, rather than MAF. That's as far as my knowledge goes for MAP sensors.

I'd plug the EU in and go from there if you get the codes or not. I hardwired the resistors inside of the EU itself.

The dip switches are controlled by the EU software. You can set it up to turn maps off and on.
Im gonna leave the resisters out and see if the codes pops up. If they dont then we have our answer as far as the newer versions of EMU solving that problem for ignition CEL without adding the resistors.

I found in the write up about the 4 dip switches thanks. Well Im not gonna use the second port anyway, I just wanted to know if my boost gauge needed to get hooked up to the EMU but I assume it doesnt.

BTW does your UEGO and EMU give you the same A/F ratio reading? I read that the two dont work well together and the EMU will be a little off compared to what the UEGO gauge is actually reading.

Last edited by maxprivate; 09-26-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Nope, I haven't have any issues with the UEGO on the EU.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Black Lion

Nope, I haven't have any issues with the UEGO on the EU.
Probably someone that didn't set it up correctly. Thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 04:19 AM
Black Lion

Uego and EMU not agreeing

So EMU is working but the Uego display is not identical to what the logger on EMU is showing. Not even close, logger is displaying 22 to 25 at idle and Uego is displaying 17s and I know that's lean but that's another issue.

I have the Greddy A/F harness white and grey wire plugged to option port 1 on EMU. The white wire I have connected to white on Uego and Grey wire on the A/F harness is going to ground on the ECU. I set the parameter range on the EMU under A/F meter type as OTHER as there is no choice or selection for Uego wideband and range is from 10 to 30. I read it should be 19.5 but not sure if that will calibrate and fix the problem. I will change the settings later and report back.

Now I have a lean condition after raising the fuel pressure on the FPR from 35 to 50 base ( vac line removed for adjustment) after I did this the car ran horrible.. and this is despite what I set auto tune figures to. I have the A/F cells on A/F target map from 500 to 1000 rpms at 14.7 and I increase to 12..4 and 12.9 around 2000 to 2500 rpm then, from 3000 to 6500 all 11.0s but I doubt this even matters because Uego and EMU and not displaying the same A/F reading. Any help or incite would be greatly appreciated. I have my tune date set for Nov 2 but I would like for the car the run a little better than what it is now till its tunned.

Last edited by maxprivate; 10-20-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 AM

How do I know if I have to do the tricking part?
I set the JP 13 to 1-2 already instead of taking it off
Old 12-06-2013, 09:07 PM

http://www.cflriders.com/altima/04AltimaEU.pdf

any new source?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 AM

bump

" Pins 39,40, and 41 should all be disconnected." <-- This is for connector C?

I am using this diagram for wiring

Does a wire from Connector B have to connect to Connector C?

Last edited by george__; 12-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 PM

bump
Old 12-23-2013, 11:18 PM

car cranks but does not start

why!!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Black Lion

I have a 4th gen but those wires you listed as not being connected for vehicle speed etc.. I did not connect mine either. How did you wire the EMU to your ECU? wire Connectors or soldered in?
Old 12-25-2013, 12:48 PM

Diagram please
Old 12-28-2013, 01:02 PM

car cranks but doesn't start
Old 12-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by george__
Diagram please
All the diagrams you need are on VQPOWER.COM
Old 12-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by george__
car cranks but doesn't start
If your wiring is 100% correct, then you have an EU with a bad ignition chip. It's somewhat of a common problem on the older version EU's (versions A, B, and C). What version do you have?

All the diagrams you need are on VQPOWER.COM
+1
Old 12-28-2013, 05:37 PM

^
It is a rev C and worked before.

edit - The connections are kind of loose.. The issue happened when 3 of the wires from connector C broke

Last edited by george__; 12-28-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:53 PM

Vq power doesnt have the instructions for the 5.5gen for emu.check ur parmeters and try different rpm signals.it happen to mines were im running on a different rpm signal than other people.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:30 PM

For future users here is something that should work?

Connector C

pins 36, 35, 34, 42, 43 & 44 go to the injector wires on the harness
pin 38 goes to 66 on the harness
pin 32 goes to pin 22 on connector B
pin 41 is not needed as stated in this thread (5.5 gen Maximas do not have a vehicle speed sensor) <--- No clue why my harness had this installed...

Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited by george__; 12-30-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 AM

Exclamation

Verifying Jumper Settings
2002 Maxima, running Option 1 plug for AF Learning from Zeitronix ZT-2.
The settings below are those I have refined down from the following sources:
http://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/47...n-a-setup.html
DandyMaxEUWriteup (although this is for A32/A33, still good info)
2004 Altima GEMU info (missing/dead link)
Startup will be this afternoon. I need to get a baseline tune in before my track-day at Atlanta Motorsport Park (for Saturday). I just wanted to verify my settings with someone who has run a GEMU Rev C board.
JP01 - OPEN
JP02 - OPEN
JP03 - OPEN
JP04 - OPEN
JP05 - OPEN
JP06 - OPEN
JP07 - 1-2
JP08 - 2-3 (DandyMax has this 1-2 for 5V Ign Output Signal; 350Z has it 2-3 for 12V Ign Output Signal)
JP09 - OPEN
JP10 - 1-2
JP11 - OPEN
JP12 - OPEN
JP13 - 1-2 (on recommendations from this post)
JP14 - OPEN (DandyMax has this 1-2, 350Z open. Since I am not using IAT, I am leaving it OPEN)
JP15 - 1-2
JP16 - OPEN
JP17 - 1-2
JP18 - OPEN
JP19 - 1-2
JP20 - 1-2
Any help would certainly be appreciated!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 PM

So, since there was no reply, I went with my settings. I got the latest software updated on my computer, but it would recognize the usb I plugged in. After a bit of research, it is a Windows 7 problem. Software runs fine, 64 win7 wont do usb to emu. Glad I connectorized everything. Pulled the gemu out. Guess I'll run a partition on my hard drive to run a 32 bit vista or xp so it'll work. Oh well, I'll work it out after my track day.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:48 AM

It is actually a 64 bit problem. The EU does not work with 64 bit versions of windows.
I have personally tuned with the EU software on 32 bit versions of XP, Vista, and 7. It just takes a little more tinkering to get the drivers installed and recognized on Vista and 7.

I have heard of some people getting it to work on 64 bit machines with a Virtual PC running a 32 bit version or using the Windows compatibility mode (I think that was the name of it-basically Windows own virtual pc), but I have not had luck with either of those options.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:49 PM

I had nothing but issues with the EMU. The issue with the software is that you can't use x86_64 and it's old software. Stick with Windows 7 32bit or Windows XP, I went with the former.

How to fix this.......

a) Pick up a netbook from Kijiji and throw a SSD into it. As long as it has a Windows 7 OEM sticker you can reinstall with a x86 version no problem. This is by far the easiest way to do this but might not be convenient

Method B) Use your existing laptop as the host machine and create a virtual machine. I've made W7 virtual machines on laptops from ~2010 with dual core CPUs .. I just made sure they had at least ~10GB of ram. Also you don't need a vt-D or AMD-Vi supported CPU for the virtualbox USB passthrough.

To do this...

Download 100% free legit VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org)
^^ This software works under Windows/Linux/OS X etc... There are a ton of guides / howto for how to use this awesome software.

Download either a Windows 7 Professional SP1 x86 or Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 X86 image. To help you find a legal ISO image search for X17-24208.iso ..

^^ Downloading legit MS Windows 7 images is not illegal!

Download activation tool for windows 7 (google it)
^^ This is illegal... The right thing would be to buy a license

Follow the VirtualBox tutorials to create a Windows 7 virtual machine.

Setup USB pass-through for the serial adapter & wideband. Always use these ports for these items. This basically gives the VM control over these USB devices not the host PC. So this allows the VM to talk to EMU and the wideband sensor

Another neat feature, you can copy this VM easily... Put the VM image on a USB stick, copy it to the other computer, import the virtual machine, make some minor adjustments and bam! Since VirtualBox supports so many host OS platforms, a friend with OS X could even load this or someone running Linux or Solaris etc

^^ This violates Microsoft EULA though

C) Install a second hard drive and load the OS onto it.

If you own a business grade notebook there should be a convenient way to do this. For example my ancient Thinkpad T410 & T510 (2010-2011) could support three drives... You could of swap out the optical drive bay for a hard drive bay and use a mSATA SSD where the WAN adapter (not the same as wireless adapter) would've been put. Then just set the bios to boot to the right device...

D) Dual boot the OS from one hard drive or SSD..
IMO... This is going to be a waste of time for EMU because the EMU stuff isn't resource heavy. A VM can handle the task no problem. More technical risky etc

Last edited by george__; 07-02-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:54 PM

The dinosaur laptop I use had trouble and wouldn't recognize the EU since it's running on windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
I just downloaded the virtual pc from windows and run the xp mode, it works great this way!
Old 12-09-2023, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
I purchased a used Emanage Ultimate a couple of weeks ago and I finally got everything installed and set up so I figured I should share my experience, as this is not a commonly used device for the 5.5 gen Maximas.

Install:

I used this guide to match up the pin locations to my ECU (the guide is for the 02-04 3.5 Altima, but it's the exact same ECU. Please remember that the pictures of the plugs are assuming that you are behind the plug, looking at the socket.

http://www.cflriders.com/altima/04AltimaEU.pdf

I used DandyMax's write up for some other useful information, but his guide was for the A32 and 2000-2001 A33, so I had to do certain things differently.

http://www.vqpower.com/images/howto/...xEUWriteup.pdf

My Emanage actually came with a plug and play harness for the 350z/G35 and 04+ Maxima, but this was not compatible with my ECU, so I had to cut and splice every wire individually. I used a combination of heat shrink tubing and silver bearing solder.

Important Notes:
  • I added diodes (Radioshack rectifier diodes, the black ones) on the ignition output side of the Emanage, as it is rumored that the ignition drivers inside the Emanage leak small amounts of current, which triggers the ignition coil transistors to partially "turn on" the coils. This can fry the coils due to over heating. The voltage drop of the diodes is supposed to reduce the amount of current seepage from the ignition drivers of the Emanage. This was more common for the Emanage BLUE, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to do it on the Emanage Ultimate also.
  • As stated in DandyMax's guide, you have the choice of running either the coolant temp sensor and the intake temp sensor, or replacing one of the temp sensors with the knock sensor. Please note if you are going to use one of the inputs for a knock sensor, set the appropriate jumper to OPEN. Not doing so will send false knock signals to the ECU. You'll know if you are getting false knock because your car will pull about as hard as a moped.
  • Please note, I was not able to get the knock sensor input to show anything, even on the newest firmware (as of September 2010) version 2.20.
  • The autotune (AFR Target) feature will NOT work unless you have the coolant temperature sensor hooked up.
  • You DO NOT need to have the crank sensor input hooked up in order to advance or retard the ignition timing, it is only there to be able to show you your real time ignition timing.
Problems and Solutions:

Upon doing my first datalog, I noticed random spikes/dips of my ignition timing and RPM's and other RPM dependent functions. If I switch the RPM Input to "Ignition Coils" instead of "Crank Sensor", the RPM spikes went away, but the ignition timing spikes were still there (this is determined from the crank position sensor). After some research, I came to the conclusion that my crank sensor wire was getting some electromagnetic interference from the engine bay.

I thought that I could fix it by replacing the Crank sensor wire with a shielded audio cable that I had laying around. Well, this did not change anything. This ruled out interference as being the problem.

After some MORE research, I saw a post on here about how someone else was getting random ignition timing spikes and they fixed it by downgrading to FW version 1.14. I did that.

This did reduce/eliminate the random ignition timing spikes, but read on...

Fried Coil Anyone?:

After driving around for an entire day with the Emanage Ultimate hooked up, I pull into a parking lot and shut the car off. Once I get back in, I turn the key to the "ON" position and put my seatbelt on.

I start the car, and I notice that I am only running on five cylinders. I limp home and determine that my center/rear coil melted. Figures that it's one of the coils that you can't get to without taking the entire UIM off.

I replaced the coil with a coil from PepBoys for $70 with a lifetime warrenty.

My theory is that the coil got fried because I was running the older firmware version 1.14. I upgraded back to firmware version 2.20 and I haven't had a problem, and it's been two days.

This surprised me actually, as I figured that I protected myself by installing the diodes, but apparently not.

Just remember to never leave the key on the "ON" position for extended periods of time, as the small current leakage of the Emanage will heat up the coils and eventually kill them.

Timing Advance (Or Not):

Once I got everything situated, I decided to do some logs to see where my timing was at.

I tried adding some timing here and there, to bring my total curve average to around 24 degrees, approaching 28 as it gets closer to redline.

Well, I was able to add about 3 degrees until I noticed that for each extra degree that I added, the timing in that area ACTUALLY WENT DOWN. This was because the ECU was pulling timing because of "knock".

I was running 93 Octane gas and I was only at like 23-24 degrees of timing and I was getting knock. This can't be right because I've seen VQ30's run much higher timing (28-30 degrees) and the VQ35 is supposed to be less prone to knock.

It appears as if the 2002-2003 ECU is much more sensitive to knock input from the knock sensor.

I temporarily bypassed the knock sensor by putting a 470k Ohm resistor in its place and I was successfully able to advance my timing to around 25-26 in the low end (1000-4000rpm), 23-24 in the midrange(4000-5000, torque peak), and 27-28 in the high end (5000-6600).

I did advance it too far at one point and I was able to actually HEAR the knock so I immediately stopped and retarded some timing. It is extremely important if you are going to do this, to do all your pulls with the windows down so you can hear any potential knocking.

At this point, I am researching ways to reduce the sensitivity of the knock sensor. I am thinking about putting some sort of rubber bushing under it to muffle some of the noises that it "hears". I will report back with results. I don't really feel comfortable driving around with no knock sensor. If I can at least get SOME knock protection, that would be great.

AFR Tuning:

I am using an Innovate LC-1 wideband to monitor my air fuel ratio. I did not want to buy the Greddy Option port harness for $20, so I made my own. I used one of the old cables for the audio port of a CD ROM drive in a computer (not the ide cable, the 4 pin little audio cable). I grinded the connector down so it would fit. Remember that the ground is the pin closest to the option 2 port. The positive is the pin on the opposite side.

Here's some info on that(post 10):

http://www.skyline-owners-club.com/f...imate-faq.html

I set the AFR Target settings to activate above 41% throttle. I left the feedback cycle and amount alone.

The target AFR map is 12.9 everywhere.

I plan on leaving this on all the time, which I heard is bad but I don't care, as it gives me perfect 12.6-13.2 AFR's in every gear at every RPM.

Coolant Temp Problem:

I noticed that my car never quite heats all the way up. This causes the idle to remain high. I think this is due to JP13 being set to "1-2". I will switch this to "open" tomorrow and report back.

Blown E-Manage (October 2010 Update):

Well, I did the above (about switching the jumper setting for the coolant problem), and I fried my E-Manage! Within five minutes of the car running, after I switched the jumper, it stalled out and the E-Manage's green power LED would not come on. This is believed to be because when jumper 13 is set to open, it is expecting a knock sensor input, which is a lower voltage than a coolant temp sensor.

DO NOT RUN THE E-MANAGE WITH JP13 SET TO OPEN IF YOU HAVE A 5.5 GEN! In DandyMax's guide, it states to try switching the jumper settings if you are having problems with your coolant temperature reading correctly, which I was, but his guide is for the 4th and 5th gen Maxima, not the 5.5 gen , which has a different coolant temperature sensor.

I had to purchase another E-Manage unit. This time I did something different. Read on...

Tricking the E-Manage:

I needed a way for the E-Manage to think that the car was warmed up so that the Autotune feature would work, but I had no way to properly hook up the coolant temperature sensor from the car. If I hooked it up with JP13 set to 1-2, it interferes with the signal and causes the car to think that it is cooler than it is, and when I switched the jumper to OPEN, I fried the E-Manage.

So, I discovered that when fully warm, the car's temperature sensor sends out ~1.00 volts. I connected the AIRFLOW VOLTAGE OUT of the E-Manage to the WATER TEMP IN on the E-Manage. Then, I configured the E-Manage's airflow correction map to output a constant 1 volt signal at all RPM ranges. This is with JP13 set to 1-2.

I am basically using the E-Manage to send out a constant 1 volt signal to itself, to trick it into thinking that the car is always warm. Now I don't have to have my coolant temperature sensor connected to my E-Manage at all.

Firmware and Software Downloads:

http://www.3000gt.com.au/Files/EMU%20Firmware/

Screen Shots:

Parameter settings.

My ignition adjustment map. (Don't just copy mine, as every car responds differently to ignition advance)

Screen shot showing the airflow adjustment map and my AFR target map.

Very good review. Have their been any updates?