All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

6spd_Hayes - 2k2 Engine build thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM

6spd_Hayes - 2k2 Engine build thread (Updated 3/5/12)

Donor engine - 40k 3.5 from a 2003 Maxima Auto

The plan:
- install Deluboz cams (knock-off JWT S1 cams)
- install HR valve springs (double shimmed 3/5/2012 updated)
- install lightweight UD Pulley
- install Fidanza flywheel
- install NISMO thermostat
- step colder spark plugs
- '06 350Z Rev-up Oil Pump (3/5/12 updated)
- ARP Rod Bolts (Part No. 202-6006) (3/5/12 updated)
- New rear main seal (3/5/12 updated)
- (not motor related but) install Greddy EMU

Pictures:

Comments welcome!

Last edited by 6spd_Hayes; 03-05-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

Doubled shimmed springs?

I think it was the general consensus that doubled shimmed HR springs were best for 7500.

Some graphs/pictures are down, but:
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...revup-etc.html
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...ec-charts.html
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Go with a Utec or Haltech.

Depending where you want to take it, a Haltech is def worth the extra $!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Any reason you are going with such mild cams?

Ever thought of using the DLC HR buckets? 1/2 the price of cams and should give great results.

If you are tearing the engine down that far why not fix the bad piston rings?

Hasn't Greddy been an issue on 02/03 ECUs?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Doubled shimmed springs?
I think it was the general consensus that doubled shimmed HR springs were best for 7500.
Some graphs/pictures are down, but:
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...revup-etc.html
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...ec-charts.html
Manny, I bought my HR springs based on those posts. :-)

Darren, I have a E-Manage Ultimate right now (not installed) but I am certainly going to give your Haltech system a looksee. I am very interested in it. I honestly didn't have the greatest confidence in the GEMU.

NYCBL00D, I got those cams for a) the price, and b) this is my daily driver.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Timing cover off:

Backside of timing cover:

Cam gears:

Cams uninstalled:

Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Those sure are pretty pictures.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Those sure are pretty pictures.
Borrowed the wife's Canon Rebel XSi. You can see my 275 wide slicks in the 4th picture.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Is that NISMO thermostat the one where people have thrown SES codes because it never lets the coolant reach a certain degree? I read that people have had trouble in colder weather with it opening sooner and not letting coolant get up to temp so engine throws check engine codes because of temps not being within min range.

Also if you going to cam it up don't go with those light cams....go bigger! While you got that engine out and doing all that get some 264 cams or something.....like some BC stage II or some Kelford 264 or JWT c2 or C8 cams....

Also...Also..LOL. SERIOUSLY consider HALTECH since you are putting so much time and money into this build. You will get ALOT more out of those cams being able to adjust IVT (Intake Camshaft Variable Timing) You will be able to make up for the losses down low the cams will give you and pick up more up top as well. Emanage and UTEC doesn't allow you to adjust IVT...only Haltech. Also Haltech will give you a MUCH MUCH more smoother tune and will run better in my opinion!

Also why you need step colder plugs for all motor?? Unless you are going turbo? I don't know can someone tell me perhaps Im wrong?

And while you got that engine all out and disassembled why not do higher compression pistons and some forged rods? Might as well....???

Other than that GRATE build!!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Is that NISMO thermostat the one where people have thrown SES codes because it never lets the coolant reach a certain degree? I read that people have had trouble in colder weather with it opening sooner and not letting coolant get up to temp so engine throws check engine codes because of temps not being within min range.

Also if you going to cam it up don't go with those light cams....go bigger! While you got that engine out and doing all that get some 264 cams or something.....like some BC stage II or some Kelford 264 or JWT c2 or C8 cams....

Also...Also..LOL. SERIOUSLY consider HALTECH since you are putting so much time and money into this build. You will get ALOT more out of those cams being able to adjust IVT (Intake Camshaft Variable Timing) You will be able to make up for the losses down low the cams will give you and pick up more up top as well. Emanage and UTEC doesn't allow you to adjust IVT...only Haltech. Also Haltech will give you a MUCH MUCH more smoother tune and will run better in my opinion!

Also why you need step colder plugs for all motor?? Unless you are going turbo? I don't know can someone tell me perhaps Im wrong?

And while you got that engine all out and disassembled why not do higher compression pistons and some forged rods? Might as well....???

Other than that GRATE build!!
Ok, mind giving me links to the Haltech discussion? Like I've mentioned before, I have been away from the Org a LONG time. I am looking for part #'s, price, etc. The GEMU has zero support from the world, how is the Haltech support? I like the fact it is plug & play (or do I have that wrong)? Luckily my GEMU is sitting nice and happy in my garage waiting to be installed. I haven't hacked into my factory wiring yet.

The NISMO thermostat was bought about 3 years back. Got a link to discussions on it throwing codes? I am in N Alabama so I don't have to worry too much about it getting too cold. I'll need to go back and do some research on the one step colder plugs.

I am already treading lightly on installing cams, I really didn't want to pull the heads off.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by NYCBL00D
Any reason you are going with such mild cams?

Ever thought of using the DLC HR buckets? 1/2 the price of cams and should give great results.

If you are tearing the engine down that far why not fix the bad piston rings?

Hasn't Greddy been an issue on 02/03 ECUs?
Tell me more about these DLC HR Buckets...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Haltech discussions buried in here:

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...vq35-info.html

And a little touching base in here:

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...5-5gen-na.html

If i hadn't bought the UTEC, I'd go Haltech. Having Darren around is a wonderful resource for us orgers, him and his pioneering, not to mention PnP harnessing.

I believe people from other VQ35 sites reported SES codes, but I know BlackBird tried it and it was in closed loop trying to get to operating temp, but it took a lot longer than usual.

http://forums.maxima.org/6075351-post22.html

There's also the shimming method:
http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...-temp-mod.html

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-27-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes
Tell me more about these DLC HR Buckets...
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECH...RVIEW/dlc.html

All HRs have them. 25% less friction. A little pricey but if you are doing head work it's a decent upgrade from what I have read on my350z
Old 02-28-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by NYCBL00D
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECH...RVIEW/dlc.html

All HRs have them. 25% less friction. A little pricey but if you are doing head work it's a decent upgrade from what I have read on my350z
Thanks for the insight!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 AM

So those follower buckets themselves are different thickness so that there are no shims anymore?

The reduced cam friction adds power equal to more aggressive cams?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Can't wait to see what your engine will produce, agree on aggresive cams
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM
I like Maximas

Hi Hayes,

haven't been on here for a while, looks like a good mild build.

since you're doing everything yourself and you have a spare engine/time here's a few tips (done this myself at least 8 times w both 3.5L and 3.0L timing) from all the things i've picked up over the years.

I would add the following to truly balance out the build and allow you to rev higher in case you decide to do so (in the future):

-Rev-up oil pump (a must IMHO) with
-ARP rod bolts -- since the timing is off anyway (just have to remove upper oil pan -will need 2 new quarter-moon shaped seals [1 you already have out @ bottom of timing cover] and 2 O-rings for oil pump when putting it back on -overlooked parts)

-rear main seal. @ $37 it's a no-brainer considering i've personally seen them leak as early as 67K (very overlooked part in terms of long-term reliability)

-main chain tensioner -this one is more preventative maintenance. i've read about many who had skipped timing and related issues from reusing the main tensioners, I've gotten them new with all my builds and never had a problem ($60 part) also make sure you fill it with oil before bolting in place as it stays primed for when you actually swap it and start recirculating oil inside.

-no need for new water pump @ 35K (otherwise at 70K+ new)

-make sure you take out ALL the excess rtv sealant from inside the bolt holes for new rtv to have space inside

-make sure you use cam lube on all journals and cam lobes prior to installing the cams.

-make sure you check the cold lash of cams installed (might have to move a few buckets around to keep all clearances exactly same) but aftermarket cams tend to be very much in spec compared to rev-ups and stock from my experience with BC, Kelford, Tomei, Cosworth and real JWTs.

-i like to keep the timing chains lying in a container with some oil so it does not dry/rust

how are you going to tackle the valve springs?
taking the heads off? or compressed air in the cyl?

you've got a nice area and engine stand to work with, get a couple of Bed Bath Beyond plastic containers to hold all parts and keep it all organized, and put a large clear plastic bag over the engine to keep dirt out, oil in, and the smell from stinking up the garage.

DO check out the haltech as it is MUCH better that the EU (have EU since 07 but I have 3.0L timing, so my options were limited)

Good luck = it's gonna be great when it's all done and tuned believe me hard work pays off
Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by vipervadim
Hi Hayes,
haven't been on here for a while, looks like a good mild build.
since you're doing everything yourself and you have a spare engine/time here's a few tips (done this myself at least 8 times w both 3.5L and 3.0L timing) from all the things i've picked up over the years.
I would add the following to truly balance out the build and allow you to rev higher in case you decide to do so (in the future):
-Rev-up oil pump (a must IMHO) with
-ARP rod bolts -- since the timing is off anyway (just have to remove upper oil pan -will need 2 new quarter-moon shaped seals [1 you already have out @ bottom of timing cover] and 2 O-rings for oil pump when putting it back on -overlooked parts)
-rear main seal. @ $37 it's a no-brainer considering i've personally seen them leak as early as 67K (very overlooked part in terms of long-term reliability)
-main chain tensioner -this one is more preventative maintenance. i've read about many who had skipped timing and related issues from reusing the main tensioners, I've gotten them new with all my builds and never had a problem ($60 part) also make sure you fill it with oil before bolting in place as it stays primed for when you actually swap it and start recirculating oil inside.
-no need for new water pump @ 35K (otherwise at 70K+ new)
-make sure you take out ALL the excess rtv sealant from inside the bolt holes for new rtv to have space inside
-make sure you use cam lube on all journals and cam lobes prior to installing the cams.
-make sure you check the cold lash of cams installed (might have to move a few buckets around to keep all clearances exactly same) but aftermarket cams tend to be very much in spec compared to rev-ups and stock from my experience with BC, Kelford, Tomei, Cosworth and real JWTs.
-i like to keep the timing chains lying in a container with some oil so it does not dry/rust
how are you going to tackle the valve springs?
taking the heads off? or compressed air in the cyl?
you've got a nice area and engine stand to work with, get a couple of Bed Bath Beyond plastic containers to hold all parts and keep it all organized, and put a large clear plastic bag over the engine to keep dirt out, oil in, and the smell from stinking up the garage.
DO check out the haltech as it is MUCH better that the EU (have EU since 07 but I have 3.0L timing, so my options were limited)
Good luck = it's gonna be great when it's all done and tuned believe me hard work pays off
viper,

Man, do I appreciate all of your advice above. After I look up the part numbers in FAST, I will head to my local Nissan part counter to order:
-Rev-up oil pump (from the 350z rev-up engines I assume)
- rear main seal
- quarter moon shaped seals (x2)
- oil pump o-rings (x2)
- main chain tentioner

I'll take a look at the ARP rod bolts but I wasn't planning on removing the heads. I've been vigilant about removing all of the excess RTV from mating surfaces and bolt holes (dang stuff is aggrivating). I am planning on checking the cold lash and moving buckets around as needed (or order the correct thickness sizes, per the FSM). As soon as the timing chain came off, it went in a bag. I'll steal some of my wife's plastic containers and drop it in with some oil. I bought the valve spring removal part from JWT to assist in pulling out the valve springs. I am planning on pressurizing the combustion chamber to 71 psi (per the FSM) to keep the valves from droping. I've temporarily taken over the garage from my wife's Armada while I work on the engine. Normally it stays covered in plastic over in the corner.

Regarding the Haltech Z unit, I do like it. But it is cost prohibitive at this time. I already have a used GEMU, and made a PnP harness for it into my stock wiring. If anything is wrong, I can pull it out, and plug up the factory wiring. I am connectorizing everything to make it easy.

Again, thank you for the advice. Any more would certainly be appreciated. I'll certainly be pinging you for GEMU advice.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 PM

quick question where r ya gettin those cams
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by McSteve
So those follower buckets themselves are different thickness so that there are no shims anymore?

The reduced cam friction adds power equal to more aggressive cams?
They are DLC coated to reduce friction up to 40% 4 buckets per cylinder total of 24. They started using the coating in the HR engines. Less friction would mean less heat buildup in the engine, and also less energy lost making heat...I think Cosworth reccomend them and uses them in all of their DE head builds.

I would only do them if I was going to go all out on a head. This is part of the reason a fully built head costs 3-5k.

24 buckets at $30 each new = $720 to gain what 5-8whp if you are lucky? That is like $100-$150 a horsepower.

The NA road is an expensive and lonely road especially with a 400whp turbo kit selling for $3500 in the classifieds w/ extras...I mean a 14k stroked out 4.1l only makes like 340-350whp.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 02-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
They are DLC coated to reduce friction up to 40% 4 buckets per cylinder total of 24. They started using the coating in the HR engines. Less friction would mean less heat buildup in the engine, and also less energy lost making heat...I think Cosworth reccomend them and uses them in all of their DE head builds.

I would only do them if I was going to go all out on a head. This is part of the reason a fully built head costs 3-5k.

24 buckets at $30 each new = $720 to gain what 5-8whp if you are lucky? That is like $100-$150 a horsepower.

The NA road is an expensive and lonely road especially with a 400whp turbo kit selling for $3500 in the classifieds w/ extras.

Very true!

I bought a set of HR loaded heads, with low miles, so im hoping to use that stuff one day!

Got 2 heads for less then a set of new hr buckets
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SurraTT
Very true!

I bought a set of HR loaded heads, with low miles, so im hoping to use that stuff one day!

My plan exactly, buy low mileage HR heads!

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 02-28-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
I think Cosworth reccomend them and uses them in all of their DE head builds.

Yes, Cosworth insists on the DLC lifters for their cams - so I got a set for my ZK2 cams. Their heads didn't come with buckets.

DLC lifters - I got mine from Courtesy Nissan on-line for about $18.50 each - but that's been at least a year ago. I think they're a great idea for new cams or stronger valve springs - along with real break-in oil with all the additives.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 PM

I have a new oem rear main seal. Shoot me a pm and you can have it there by saturday.
30 shipped.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 PM

nevermind
Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SurraTT
Very true!

Dont laugh...what the hell is an HR bucket?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Great build! Hope you enjoy it.. Its a lot of work, i am in the middle of working with a clutch problem but basically we have much the same setup..good luck!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Nice looking build so far 6spdHayes! Your timing cover has two oil channels mine only has one.
sorry, I did a search and I can't find answers..
cold lash of cams...is that where it says that the acceptable COLD range on Exhaust is .011-.015" and Intake is .010-.013"?
What if the exhaust is a bit tight (.009") will that matter much? And do ALL the valves need IDENTICAL clearance?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:25 PM

Engine is done! Yeah I know, first pictures were posted 2-27-2012. After last picture was posted, the engine was wrapped up in plastic as is, and sat in storage till November 2015. Finished building it up Nov 2015-May 2016. Drove car with new engine to work on May 31st. I have documented the build throughout so you will be seeing an influx of pictures coming soon.

Highlights are: HR Valve Springs (double shimmed), HR Head Gaskets (and block coolant passage modified), Juke (MR16DDT) Head Bolts (and block modified to accept), REV UP oil pump, ARP Rod Bolts, new rear main seal, Deluboz Cams, and NISMO Thermostat.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:35 PM

The reason for the 4 year 3 month gap is, honestly, I was a tad intimidated by the build. Well that and I was building a house. Once I broke down and tore a 6 speed transmission apart, put it back together with different guts and successfully drove it 20k miles or more, I was confident I could tear the motor all the way down and build it back up.
If you read my transmission thread, I followed the same method with this build: DOCUMENT EVERYTHING (written and pictures).

Part Sorting & Identification

Oil Pan Removed

Oil Pan Detail

Oil Pan Bolts
Old 06-14-2016, 03:36 PM

O-Ring Detail

Inner Timing Cover Removed Detail

Old 06-14-2016, 03:37 PM

Removed Oil Pump

Inner Timing Cover Backside

Left Hand Head Removed

Left Hand Head Valve & Springs Removed

Right Hand Head Removed

Old 06-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Right Hand Head Valve & Springs Removed

Heads Removed

VQHR Valve Springs

Shims

HR Valve Springs and Shims Installed

Pistons Removed

Piston Detail

Old 06-14-2016, 03:40 PM

Verified Piston Ring Gap

Cleaned Piston Comparison

Deluboz Cam Test Fit

Stock vs Deluboz Cam Comparison

Old 06-14-2016, 03:41 PM

Crankshaft Removal

Oil Squirters

Old 06-14-2016, 03:43 PM

Deluboz Slot Modification
Had to take a carbide Dremel tool to the slots on the Deluboz Cams to get the pin on the backside of the Intake Cam Sprocket to fit well.

Block Cooling Chamber Mod for HR Headgaskets

Head Bolt Tapping for Juke (MR16DDT) Headbolts
The Juke Headbolts are several threads longer than the stock VQ35DE Headbolts. You will have to tap all of the headbolt threads deeper with a bottoming tap. I purchased the tap from Enco.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:44 PM

Crank Reinstallation

ARP Rod Bolts and Instructions

Old 06-14-2016, 03:46 PM

Piston Reinstallation with ARP Rod Bolts

2k2/RevUp Oil Pump Comparison

RevUp Oil Pump Installation

Old 06-14-2016, 03:47 PM

VQHR Head Gaskets

HR Head Gaskets with Cooling Chamber Block Modification

Old 06-14-2016, 03:48 PM

Juke MR16DDT Head Bolt Installation