Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maintenance, Tech, & Care > Audio and Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Timeslips Members Parts Guide Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.
Sponsored by:
Click Here

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 08-07-2002, 12:53 PM   #1

1993 maxima radio

i am trying to replace my original radio/cassette on my 1993 nissan maxima gxe. i can't stand the cassette thing. i am going to buy a pioneer cd player (not cd changer) .. very simple one. can anyone tell me what i should be aware of when i am change it? or do you guys have a diagram showing how to change the radio?

thanks,

stephen
stephenho56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:21 PM   #2
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have just done this and all I would say is get the wiring harness and the antennae adaptor. Take off the middle console (4 screws and 3 plugs for the hazard,power comfort, cigerette lighter) then you will see 4 screws buried on either side of the stereo unscrew them and save them. Now unplug the stereo and pull out the whole assembly. Now you swear at nissan for how hard they put on these 4 brass screws into the radio. (I had to drill out 2 of them).

Put you new pioneer cd player in with the antennae adaptor and the wiring harness already soldered or crimp connected together to the pioneer wiring harness.

You should only have to connect the speaker wires to your aftermarket speakers (if you have a bose system you need to get either a adaptor or get new speakers)

I chose to not connect the dimmer wire becuase I liked how it looked at night but you can do that if you want.

Then just simply put it back in and put all the screws back in in reverse order. Make sure you hook up the plug to the hazard button otherwise no turn signals (been there done that)

What model of Pioneer are you planning on getting ?
Intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:44 PM   #3

I am planning to get the Pioneer PIO DEH1400. it's pretty cheap at circuitcity. only $139.99. actually, when i buy it, should i ask for a plastic trim to fit the space between the pioneer cd player and the slot? how about those adapters? it sounds complicated. i don't know if circuit would to that for me. is there a place that i can buy all of the adapters (like an installation kit) which connect the cd player and my car?

stephen

Quote:
Originally posted by Intel
I have just done this and all I would say is get the wiring harness and the antennae adaptor. Take off the middle console (4 screws and 3 plugs for the hazard,power comfort, cigerette lighter) then you will see 4 screws buried on either side of the stereo unscrew them and save them. Now unplug the stereo and pull out the whole assembly. Now you swear at nissan for how hard they put on these 4 brass screws into the radio. (I had to drill out 2 of them).

Put you new pioneer cd player in with the antennae adaptor and the wiring harness already soldered or crimp connected together to the pioneer wiring harness.

You should only have to connect the speaker wires to your aftermarket speakers (if you have a bose system you need to get either a adaptor or get new speakers)

I chose to not connect the dimmer wire becuase I liked how it looked at night but you can do that if you want.

Then just simply put it back in and put all the screws back in in reverse order. Make sure you hook up the plug to the hazard button otherwise no turn signals (been there done that)

What model of Pioneer are you planning on getting ?
stephenho56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:05 PM   #4

Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

at sounddomain.com they have the wiring harnesses and your headunit for 129.99.

Wire harness Part Scosche NN02 # SCONN02B
Antenna adaptor Scosche NDA Antenna Adapter SCONDAB

For my pioneer I didn't need any trim ring actually the one that came with it didn't fit becuase it is a din opening.

Soldering the two harnesses isnt that bad just match what the two sets of directions say together and for the most part colors match also and then just plug it in.
Intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:31 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to «§»Craig B«§»
instructions for removal of stock radio are on my site in teh how-to section

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html

Heads-up display, auto climate control, UK corners, other stuff
Pics of my max and mod list
«§»Craig B«§» is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:31 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima