Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

1993 maxima radio

Old 08-07-2002, 12:53 PM

1993 maxima radio

i am trying to replace my original radio/cassette on my 1993 nissan maxima gxe. i can't stand the cassette thing. i am going to buy a pioneer cd player (not cd changer) .. very simple one. can anyone tell me what i should be aware of when i am change it? or do you guys have a diagram showing how to change the radio?

thanks,

stephen
Old 08-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have just done this and all I would say is get the wiring harness and the antennae adaptor. Take off the middle console (4 screws and 3 plugs for the hazard,power comfort, cigerette lighter) then you will see 4 screws buried on either side of the stereo unscrew them and save them. Now unplug the stereo and pull out the whole assembly. Now you swear at nissan for how hard they put on these 4 brass screws into the radio. (I had to drill out 2 of them).

Put you new pioneer cd player in with the antennae adaptor and the wiring harness already soldered or crimp connected together to the pioneer wiring harness.

You should only have to connect the speaker wires to your aftermarket speakers (if you have a bose system you need to get either a adaptor or get new speakers)

I chose to not connect the dimmer wire becuase I liked how it looked at night but you can do that if you want.

Then just simply put it back in and put all the screws back in in reverse order. Make sure you hook up the plug to the hazard button otherwise no turn signals (been there done that)

What model of Pioneer are you planning on getting ?
Old 08-07-2002, 02:44 PM

I am planning to get the Pioneer PIO DEH1400. it's pretty cheap at circuitcity. only $139.99. actually, when i buy it, should i ask for a plastic trim to fit the space between the pioneer cd player and the slot? how about those adapters? it sounds complicated. i don't know if circuit would to that for me. is there a place that i can buy all of the adapters (like an installation kit) which connect the cd player and my car?

stephen

Originally posted by Intel
I have just done this and all I would say is get the wiring harness and the antennae adaptor. Take off the middle console (4 screws and 3 plugs for the hazard,power comfort, cigerette lighter) then you will see 4 screws buried on either side of the stereo unscrew them and save them. Now unplug the stereo and pull out the whole assembly. Now you swear at nissan for how hard they put on these 4 brass screws into the radio. (I had to drill out 2 of them).

Put you new pioneer cd player in with the antennae adaptor and the wiring harness already soldered or crimp connected together to the pioneer wiring harness.

You should only have to connect the speaker wires to your aftermarket speakers (if you have a bose system you need to get either a adaptor or get new speakers)

I chose to not connect the dimmer wire becuase I liked how it looked at night but you can do that if you want.

Then just simply put it back in and put all the screws back in in reverse order. Make sure you hook up the plug to the hazard button otherwise no turn signals (been there done that)

What model of Pioneer are you planning on getting ?
Old 08-07-2002, 04:05 PM

at sounddomain.com they have the wiring harnesses and your headunit for 129.99.

Wire harness Part Scosche NN02 # SCONN02B
Antenna adaptor Scosche NDA Antenna Adapter SCONDAB

For my pioneer I didn't need any trim ring actually the one that came with it didn't fit becuase it is a din opening.

Soldering the two harnesses isnt that bad just match what the two sets of directions say together and for the most part colors match also and then just plug it in.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:31 PM

instructions for removal of stock radio are on my site in teh how-to section

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html