Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maintenance, Tech, & Care > Audio and Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.
Sponsored by:
Click Here

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 12-14-2003, 05:45 PM   #1

FM sensitivity with Alpine HU

For those of you who swapped their Bose/Clarion stock system for an Alpine head unit, did you notice a drop in sensitivity on the FM band? I just installed mine (CDA-7995), and I am barely able, if not at all, to hear a station 70 miles away that could be heard on the Bose unit, as well as on every radio in every car I drove on the past years. I tried the ''Normal'' and ''Hi-Fi'' modes on the HU and it didn't have an effect. Specs charts indicate that the Alpine should have a sensitivity of 9.3 dBf, vs 9 dBf for most of the Clarion HU. Maybe the receiver is not up to specs, or, I hope, maybe I have a faulty antenna adapter, even if it's a simple piece of equipement (could it have something to do with the diversity antenna?)

Denis
dracip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 05:49 PM   #2

Points: 8,736, Level: 62 Points: 8,736, Level: 62 Points: 8,736, Level: 62
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
I got an alpine and have the same problem. no worries, most aftermarket deck get weaker reception then the stock ones.
kgb006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:25 PM   #3

I know that GM, among others, have good receiver section in their HU. but I owned an Integra, with the stock HU made by Alpine. I assume that a high quality aftermarket unit should be at least equal in that department too, no?
Old 12-15-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
Donating Maxima.org Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BG2K
I installed an Alpine (CDA-9813). Now I don't get ANY radio stations. I also noticed that when I tinted the windows, I lost a lot of reception with the stock HU. I was thinking of getting a glass mount antenna, plugs into the HU, run wires up behind the a-pillar and headliner, and mount it behind the rear-view mirror, directly on the windshield, they're about 20 bucks. But I think if I'm going to pull everything apart again, I'm just getting XM. And yes, I did use an antenna adapter, and everything was installed correctly.
BG2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:02 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to johnnyo319
I experienced weak signal also from an alpine 9811. My antenna was ripped off but even so, the old bose deck was able to pick up all of the stations clearly but the Alpine can only bring in a few clearly.
johnnyo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:11 PM   #6

I have the same problem with my HU. I was wondering if anyone had tried some sort of antenna booster.

According to this, a small sensitivity value is better. That may explain why the Clarion is better than the Alpine in this area.

http://www.fanfare.com/fm-specs.html

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracip
For those of you who swapped their Bose/Clarion stock system for an Alpine head unit, did you notice a drop in sensitivity on the FM band? I just installed mine (CDA-7995), and I am barely able, if not at all, to hear a station 70 miles away that could be heard on the Bose unit, as well as on every radio in every car I drove on the past years. I tried the ''Normal'' and ''Hi-Fi'' modes on the HU and it didn't have an effect. Specs charts indicate that the Alpine should have a sensitivity of 9.3 dBf, vs 9 dBf for most of the Clarion HU. Maybe the receiver is not up to specs, or, I hope, maybe I have a faulty antenna adapter, even if it's a simple piece of equipement (could it have something to do with the diversity antenna?)

Denis
speediq99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #7

Hello friends, I have an update about this situation :

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=271168
Old 12-15-2003, 09:04 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement