Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I love my new radio

Old 03-18-2001, 06:52 AM
OG and counting...

I got the Eclipse yesterday and I have to admit that, even with stock speakers and amp, the unit sounds pretty nice.
Just imagine what will happen when I throw the rest of the system together.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by PrinzII
I got the Eclipse yesterday and I have to admit that, even with stock speakers and amp, the unit sounds pretty nice.
Just imagine what will happen when I throw the rest of the system together.
That is great!!! Rememeber sharing is a good thing. Post some pics if you get the chance to take any. What other plans do you have for the ride Prinz? I would love to see / hear the system if we have a meet soon. I guess I will have to break down and start putting something together as well. I am suffering from bass withdraws!! HEHE!!
Old 03-19-2001, 10:23 AM
OG and counting...

2002 Decisions....lol

Well, I am kicking around a few ideas right now.

Idea #1
Use Stock Speaker locations, but put aftermarket speakers, 12" sub, and amp. Speakers I am looking at for this are JL Audio Evolution Series and Audiobahn.

Idea #2
Install Component Speakers, Keep Rears for fill, and 2 12" subs with a 6 Channel Amp. Speakers I am considering for this are a/d/s, Focal, Audiobahn.

Subs of choice will be JL Audio or Audiobahn. Amps of choice will be PPI, a/d/s, McIntosh, xtant, and a few others.

Bear in mind, these ideas are subject to change by the time I want to execute them.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:39 AM

Re: 2002 Decisions....lol

Well, I am kicking around a few ideas right now.

Idea #1
Use Stock Speaker locations, but put aftermarket speakers, 12" sub, and amp. Speakers I am looking at for this are JL Audio Evolution Series and Audiobahn.

Idea #2
Install Component Speakers, Keep Rears for fill, and 2 12" subs with a 6 Channel Amp. Speakers I am considering for this are a/d/s, Focal, Audiobahn.

Subs of choice will be JL Audio or Audiobahn. Amps of choice will be PPI, a/d/s, McIntosh, xtant, and a few others.

Bear in mind, these ideas are subject to change by the time I want to execute them.
I am down with Idea #1. I think that is what I am going to do as well, as soon as I can start saving some cash for the pieces. I'm thinking along the same lines as you, JL components in the the stock locations. I am thinking about 2 amps, a 4-channel and a 2-channel. Then I'm thinking about JL subs. Possibly 10W3's and of course you have to go with 3 of them!! The amps are still up in the air, but my friend has the Alpines in his Taurus and he loves them. So, I might have to get those. I'll keep you informed of my updates and you do the same. Later!
Old 03-19-2001, 12:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The first thing I did when I got my Max a couple years ago was throw in an Eclipse deck. . . It sounded really good with the stock speakers and I was really suprised at how much of an improvement on the stock deck it really was. Congrats on your deck though. . .
Old 03-19-2001, 01:18 PM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
The first thing I did when I got my Max a couple years ago was throw in an Eclipse deck. . . It sounded really good with the stock speakers and I was really suprised at how much of an improvement on the stock deck it really was. Congrats on your deck though. . .
At the same time, I had a friend with a '92 SE who wanted to replace her Bose System and she got the Eclipse 4440, Rockford Fosgate 4" Speakers, and Eclipse 6x9s. Needless to say, she is loving the system and her daughter is bumping the hell out of it.
Old 03-19-2001, 01:27 PM

hehe subs gotta luv em

I got 3 10' 10W0's on the back

and i got 4 6.5' Coaxials that are JL's too.. w/ 2 mtx subs and a phat alpine headunit my stem kicks sooo much better than my old blown bose syetm hehehehe
Old 03-19-2001, 08:29 PM

Hey PrinzII:

Congrats on the headunit. I say go for option 2 you will be happier in the long run. As for other components also look into CDT Audio, DEI Audio Studio series, Xtant (Morel), Diamond and Dynaudio if you can afford them. Decent amp choices you have as well, though I'd also consider Lunar (new brand but doing well in competition), Brax/Helix, US Amps, Phoenix Gold etc.

My new system will consist of PG Zpa amps, Dynaudio speakers and Phase Linear Aliante subwoofers, along with some niceties like an Orion DEQ30, PG232, PG ZPX2 crossovers
Old 03-20-2001, 06:44 AM
OG and counting...

Lunar...Hmmmm

Yo Canuck,

I would like to read the specs on the Lunar and Brax Amps.
I have heard some good things about Dynaudio and Diamond (I have a Dealer in Crestwood, IL that handles both brands).

But I have a question for you. I really like the sound stage of components but I really don't want to do a hellish amount of cutting on my door panels and I want to keep a stock appearance. What do you suggest?
Old 03-20-2001, 07:24 AM

If you don't want to cut the door panels and rebuild them like Matt93GXE did, I suggest you get a 3 way component set and mount the 4" and tweeter in custom kickpanels. Not all that hard to do if I did it you can see how I did mine using the factory kickpanel as a mounting surface on my site http://www.geocities.com/canuckamp/kicks.html then your midbass drivers can go in the doors in the stock location with an MDF baffle.

Or build kicks using a 5.25" component set, but then you'll lose some midbass if you go with a small enclosure or lose some space for your feet if you go with largeer kicks to get more midbass.

If you like heavy midbass seriously consider Dynaudio or CDT Audio. I've found these to be the best I've heard for midbass impact (Note CDT uses Vifa drivers) . These are best mounted infinite baffle in the door panel but can be put in closed or variovented enclosures. Focal's mids are nice and retailed but I've not found them to have much midbass impact unless you get the 5kx subs or 7kx or related newer drivers.

As for the Lunar amps they have some massive power available you can see them at http://www.lunaramplifiers.com or at our site at Ampman Audio. Typically right now they have 40Wx2, 60Wx2, 100Wx2, 200Wx2 and a 60Wx8 amp. All values are RMS and they come in over spec about 50%. The 100x2 unit we tested put out 150Wx2 RMS into 13.8V you can read my review of the 100Wx2 here http://www3.sympatico.ca/snarayan/lunar.html

Also they will soon be bringing out a 400Wx2, 600Wx2 and 150Wx4 amp later this year.

As for the Brax and Helix amps their specs are also immaculate you can check out the models at http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/index2.html The Brax amps are available in standard black or silver finish or custom polished chrome finish. The Helix models are available in standard black or silver powdercoat, custom blue or red powdercoat or custom pilished chrome finish. Custom finishes are extra but are done at the factory.
Old 03-20-2001, 07:58 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by CanuckAMP
If you don't want to cut the door panels and rebuild them like Matt93GXE did, I suggest you get a 3 way component set and mount the 4" and tweeter in custom kickpanels. Not all that hard to do if I did it you can see how I did mine using the factory kickpanel as a mounting surface on my site http://www.geocities.com/canuckamp/kicks.html then your midbass drivers can go in the doors in the stock location with an MDF baffle.

Or build kicks using a 5.25" component set, but then you'll lose some midbass if you go with a small enclosure or lose some space for your feet if you go with largeer kicks to get more midbass.

If you like heavy midbass seriously consider Dynaudio or CDT Audio. I've found these to be the best I've heard for midbass impact (Note CDT uses Vifa drivers) . These are best mounted infinite baffle in the door panel but can be put in closed or variovented enclosures. Focal's mids are nice and retailed but I've not found them to have much midbass impact unless you get the 5kx subs or 7kx or related newer drivers.

As for the Lunar amps they have some massive power available you can see them at http://www.lunaramplifiers.com or at our site at Ampman Audio. Typically right now they have 40Wx2, 60Wx2, 100Wx2, 200Wx2 and a 60Wx8 amp. All values are RMS and they come in over spec about 50%. The 100x2 unit we tested put out 150Wx2 RMS into 13.8V you can read my review of the 100Wx2 here http://www3.sympatico.ca/snarayan/lunar.html

Also they will soon be bringing out a 400Wx2, 600Wx2 and 150Wx4 amp later this year.

As for the Brax and Helix amps their specs are also immaculate you can check out the models at http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/index2.html The Brax amps are available in standard black or silver finish or custom polished chrome finish. The Helix models are available in standard black or silver powdercoat, custom blue or red powdercoat or custom pilished chrome finish. Custom finishes are extra but are done at the factory.
Now you just added another amp to the equation. I like the specs on the Brax. I also like the idea of kickpanel pods to avoid cutting into my door. But my next question is whether or not they will incroach on my footrest. From the looks of your pics, they don't seem to intrude that much.
Also, would putting a single 8" woofer or replacing the 6x9s in the rear with 6x9 woofers handle the midbass chores?
Old 03-20-2001, 08:06 AM
OG and counting...

At the rate this is going.....

.....this system might turn into a competition system.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:14 AM

Now you just added another amp to the equation. I like the specs on the Brax. I also like the idea of kickpanel pods to avoid cutting into my door. But my next question is whether or not they will incroach on my footrest. From the looks of your pics, they don't seem to intrude that much.
Also, would putting a single 8" woofer or replacing the 6x9s in the rear with 6x9 woofers handle the midbass chores?
It's all about what you want Prinz. Most people going for SQ systems want to have a realistic sound stage. Meaning that the majority of the frequencies covered by the system are produced by the speakers in the front of the car. Rear speakers are needed to add depth to the sound stage. The 3 way component setup that Canuck is talking about is great! You have basically everything from the mid-bass all the way up to the tweeter in front of you creating a very realistic sound stage. Adding the 8's would increase your amount of mid-bass/bass, but if you are going for a SQ system, then the 6.5" in the door is the best way to go.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I would listen to what Canuck has to say as well, he is definitely the man when it comes to audio on this board. Good luck with the setup Prinz!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:17 AM

Re: At the rate this is going.....

.....this system might turn into a competition system.
It would be a great competition setup too!!!!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:21 AM

Hehe indeed, you have been bitten by THE AUDIO BUG....

I much prefer my midbass upfront for the BUF (bass up front) effect, then I cross my subs over low around 60 HZ to even further increase the effect as it's harder to localize their physical position back there.

The only problem with the Brax is that they are darn pricey. Brax has released a limited edition amp that is an X2000 (190Wx2) and an X2400 (100Wx4) in a one piece chassis. It's $5500 MSRP though and only 50 are being made. The Helix is a good alternative is SQ and price are of a concern, but they don't have a huge sub amp. Here is a link to a customer of mine who had 2 Helix HXA400 amps done in the custom chrome http://www.xensual.com/lexus/index.html

That's why I recommended the 4" and 1" in the kicks as it can be mounted so they don't encroach on the dead pedal. I positioned them so I could still fit my size 10 foot there centered on the pedal. I did sacrifice a bit of stage height though with that particular angle. My next setup will be slightly larger Dynaudio 5.25" mids and larger baffle 1" tweeters so I'll have to adjust the angles a little differently to get them to fit.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:47 AM
OG and counting...

Hehe indeed, you have been bitten by THE AUDIO BUG....

I much prefer my midbass upfront for the BUF (bass up front) effect, then I cross my subs over low around 60 HZ to even further increase the effect as it's harder to localize their physical position back there.

The only problem with the Brax is that they are darn pricey. Brax has released a limited edition amp that is an X2000 (190Wx2) and an X2400 (100Wx4) in a one piece chassis. It's $5500 MSRP though and only 50 are being made. The Helix is a good alternative is SQ and price are of a concern, but they don't have a huge sub amp. Here is a link to a customer of mine who had 2 Helix HXA400 amps done in the custom chrome http://www.xensual.com/lexus/index.html

That's why I recommended the 4" and 1" in the kicks as it can be mounted so they don't encroach on the dead pedal. I positioned them so I could still fit my size 10 foot there centered on the pedal. I did sacrifice a bit of stage height though with that particular angle. My next setup will be slightly larger Dynaudio 5.25" mids and larger baffle 1" tweeters so I'll have to adjust the angles a little differently to get them to fit.
Actually, I was bitten by the Audio Bug a long time ago. Back then, I knew the equipment, but did not have the funds to play with. Now is a totally different story.

As far as the Brax is concerned, I think you are right. That amp costs almost as much as my car . I am starting to lean toward the Xtants, a/d/s, Precision Power, Phoenix Gold or McIntosh. In fact, I recall the nearest a/d/s dealer having a sale on PH 840 6 channel amps.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Dustyroads

I would listen to what Canuck has to say as well, he is definitely the man when it comes to audio on this board. Good luck with the setup Prinz!
Gosh darn, gee golly.....um thanks for the ringing endorsement. Though I think Matt here has the edge on me since he's actually competed and placed in a sanctioned event. I'm just a gear head when it comes to car audio at the moment....
Old 03-20-2001, 09:08 AM
OG and counting...

Gosh darn, gee golly.....um thanks for the ringing endorsement. Though I think Matt here has the edge on me since he's actually competed and placed in a sanctioned event. I'm just a gear head when it comes to car audio at the moment....
Canuck, you and I are in the same boat...lol
Old 03-20-2001, 09:16 AM

As far as the Brax is concerned, I think you are right. That amp costs almost as much as my car . I am starting to lean toward the Xtants, a/d/s, Precision Power, Phoenix Gold or McIntosh. In fact, I recall the nearest a/d/s dealer having a sale on PH 840 6 channel amps.
a/d/s makes some nice stuff, always have and if you can get it on sale that's what I would go with. I acknowledge Xtant as a good brand but I just know if I got one it would get scratched too easily and then I'd be pissed at myself. I've never been a huge fan of PPI I dunno why, (though I do have an amp made by PPI) it's prolly just the cosmetics of the newer PC amps. Also I've had Orions before with the same power plugs and I never liked that, though I loved the amps.
McIntosh is also sweet, I'd love one of their MC4000M or MC440M amps .

Other amps to consider of the same quality are Kicker ZR series, Zapco, Arc Audio, JL Audio, Monolithic, Orion XTR XTRPro and HCCA, and USAmps.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:42 AM

a/d/s makes some nice stuff, always have and if you can get it on sale that's what I would go with. I acknowledge Xtant as a good brand but I just know if I got one it would get scratched too easily and then I'd be pissed at myself. I've never been a huge fan of PPI I dunno why, (though I do have an amp made by PPI) it's prolly just the cosmetics of the newer PC amps. Also I've had Orions before with the same power plugs and I never liked that, though I loved the amps.

Other amps to consider of the same quality are Kicker ZR series, Zapco, Arc Audio, JL Audio, Monolithic, Orion XTR XTRPro and HCCA, and USAmps.
I heard that the JL amps are actually going to become a reality this year. What's your take on it?

Gear head or not...you know your stuff. I would take your word over any others. I haven't seen Matt around here too much, so I think you have become the resident know-it-all!! HEHE!!
Old 03-20-2001, 10:41 AM

Yup I saw them actually at the local IASCA Show a couple weeks ago. The distributor that will be marketing them up hare had a display with them but they were not powered up to anything.

LOL and thanks again for the vote of confidence....
Old 03-20-2001, 11:33 AM
OG and counting...

At the rate things are going......

.....I might wind up being a gearhead like Canuck.

But all kidding aside, I respect you and Matt's opinions on the electronics end.

Dusty, Since you are in the Chicago area, where are ya?
Old 03-20-2001, 11:49 AM

Re: At the rate things are going......

.....I might wind up being a gearhead like Canuck.

But all kidding aside, I respect you and Matt's opinions on the electronics end.

Dusty, Since you are in the Chicago area, where are ya?
I'm not too sure what you are asking, but if you wan to know where I live, I'm up in the NW suburbs. Palatine to be exact. I know a few things, but not enough to compete with the likes of Canuck and Matt. Just call me an audio enthusiast. Well, I guess I do know a bit more than I let on.

If you check out my homepage and go to my old stereo section. You can see a pic of my install that I did by myself. Nothing too exciting, but I built the box and amp rack using my own two hands. Carpeted it too...it looks pretty decent, but that is from far away. The carpet job was definitely less than perfect and the amp rack was kinda dumb, but it all was in my car and it sounded pretty darn good. How about you Prinz, where you at?
Old 03-20-2001, 01:29 PM
OG and counting...

Re: Re: At the rate things are going......

I'm not too sure what you are asking, but if you wan to know where I live, I'm up in the NW suburbs. Palatine to be exact. I know a few things, but not enough to compete with the likes of Canuck and Matt. Just call me an audio enthusiast. Well, I guess I do know a bit more than I let on.

If you check out my homepage and go to my old stereo section. You can see a pic of my install that I did by myself. Nothing too exciting, but I built the box and amp rack using my own two hands. Carpeted it too...it looks pretty decent, but that is from far away. The carpet job was definitely less than perfect and the amp rack was kinda dumb, but it all was in my car and it sounded pretty darn good. How about you Prinz, where you at?
I'm from the faaaar South Side of Chicago but I work in Melrose Park (a short stretch to get up to Palatine). I used to work in Hoffman Estates and know some parts of Palatine (e.g. Ben and Jerry's on Rte 14).

Like you, I am a gearhead, but I am probably on the road to competing at the rate this sound system project of mine is going.

You mentioned that you are planning to go with an Eclipse. Which model are you looking at? BTW, the next item on my agenda is a 5083 8 disc changer to be put in the Maxima.
Old 03-20-2001, 01:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: At the rate things are going......

I'm from the faaaar South Side of Chicago but I work in Melrose Park (a short stretch to get up to Palatine). I used to work in Hoffman Estates and know some parts of Palatine (e.g. Ben and Jerry's on Rte 14).

Like you, I am a gearhead, but I am probably on the road to competing at the rate this sound system project of mine is going.

You mentioned that you are planning to go with an Eclipse. Which model are you looking at? BTW, the next item on my agenda is a 5083 8 disc changer to be put in the Maxima.
I haven't completely made up my mind on the head unit yet. I really do like the Eclipses, but I need to get to a shop and demo a few. I'm lookin for a CD receiver with changer control, a model number that I have seen on there website is the 55430, because it actually has power to the speakers, or the 55060 if I want to go all amps right away. Like I said, I have only seen them on the website and I haven't been to a shop to look at them in person. A buddy of mine had an older version a couple of years ago, that he really liked and I did as well. One things that I really like about them, is the fact that the display is pretty basic. Other untis have gotten big flashing lights and stuff, that just doesn't appeal to me. I want something that is simple and does the job well, which the Eclipses do. Okay, I'm going over the edge here, time to cut myself off. I'll let you know more soon!!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:54 PM
OG and counting...

I know of a few shops that carry Eclipse. One is Sound Advantage on North Harlem. The other 2 are on the South end of Town and are probably a major hike for you. One is in Oak Lawn (which is the place I got mine) the other is in Palos Heights.

If you want info, let me know.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:02 PM

I know of a few shops that carry Eclipse. One is Sound Advantage on North Harlem. The other 2 are on the South end of Town and are probably a major hike for you. One is in Oak Lawn (which is the place I got mine) the other is in Palos Heights.

If you want info, let me know.
I have been to a shop called Sound Experience. There is one up in Barrington and another some where else. At the time they carried Eclipse, and I think that they still do. Yeah, Oak Lawn and Palos Heights are a bit of a drive for me, so I will get to this place soon and try to figure things out. Thanks for the info though!
Old 03-20-2001, 02:09 PM
OG and counting...

Good Choice

Keep me posted on your setup.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:10 PM

If you don't like flashy headunits I suggest you also look at the Nakamichi CD-45Z, it's so plain it almost looks stock.

That's why I'm never giving up my Denon DCT-1000R deck.....
Old 03-20-2001, 02:53 PM

If you don't like flashy headunits I suggest you also look at the Nakamichi CD-45Z, it's so plain it almost looks stock.

That's why I'm never giving up my Denon DCT-1000R deck.....
Thanks for the info Canuck. I will try to find one so I can take a look at it.

Prinz: Will do, if anything changes, hopefully it will, I will let you know.

Later guys!
Old 03-22-2001, 02:06 PM
OG and counting...

Wait 'til I get the SUV
Old 03-23-2001, 06:13 AM
OG and counting...

Re: Re: Re: Re: At the rate things are going......

I haven't completely made up my mind on the head unit yet. I really do like the Eclipses, but I need to get to a shop and demo a few. I'm lookin for a CD receiver with changer control, a model number that I have seen on there website is the 55430, because it actually has power to the speakers, or the 55060 if I want to go all amps right away. Like I said, I have only seen them on the website and I haven't been to a shop to look at them in person. A buddy of mine had an older version a couple of years ago, that he really liked and I did as well. One things that I really like about them, is the fact that the display is pretty basic. Other untis have gotten big flashing lights and stuff, that just doesn't appeal to me. I want something that is simple and does the job well, which the Eclipses do. Okay, I'm going over the edge here, time to cut myself off. I'll let you know more soon!!
That was the main issue when I was shopping for a radio. The problem was that I do go through some rough areas and I did not want something that drew a lot of attention. I checked out units by Alpine and Sony but the face really did not appeal to me. I looked at Clarion and had the same issue. I looked at Kenwood but they are too common for me.
I have never been a real huge fan of Pioneer because of their reliability.

Canuck, I even went so far as to think about Nakamichi's decks. But I knew (from the home audio side of the fence) that Naks are reported to be very fussy and expensive.
Old 03-23-2001, 09:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: At the rate things are going......

That was the main issue when I was shopping for a radio. The problem was that I do go through some rough areas and I did not want something that drew a lot of attention. I checked out units by Alpine and Sony but the face really did not appeal to me. I looked at Clarion and had the same issue. I looked at Kenwood but they are too common for me.
I have never been a real huge fan of Pioneer because of their reliability.

Canuck, I even went so far as to think about Nakamichi's decks. But I knew (from the home audio side of the fence) that Naks are reported to be very fussy and expensive.
You got it Prinz, you don't want that big flashy head unit that everyone sees when you roll by. It won't be in the dash when you park the car and come back later!! I definitely am thinking about the Eclipses, but I need to get off my lazy @$$ and look at some of them. Like I said, I'll let you know more later!
Old 03-23-2001, 12:56 PM

Well aside from the Nak CD-700 all their other decks are quite afforable. The CD-45Z tops out at around $400 US....

I've heard quite a bit about their decks having higher than average failure rates, in the past. I think that was more of a concern with the previous series though. According to Peter Lufrano (www.theautophile.com) he's not seen as much returns with the newer models...
Old 03-23-2001, 02:05 PM
OG and counting...

Oh yeah, my friends get a kick out of my radio when it greets you when you start the car up then tells you good bye when you shut it off.