Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

custom dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 08:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

anyone do a custom dash? or can anyone give me tips/links to places where i can find some help? i want to put a TV where my bose was but its a little to big, so i wanna make my own panel out of plastic or something. any help would be great
-Nick
Old 03-20-2001, 09:47 PM
STFU n00b!

the TV is smaller than the opening in the dash, or the dash is smaller than the TV?

if the TV is smaller, all you have to do is cut a piece of 1/4" plexiglass or lexan to fit in the hole, then cut the center out the same shape as the TV.

mask the front side of the plexi with tape, and spray paint the back of it with flat black paint. looks great.

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...ges/dash10.jpg

sorry for the B&W.. my scanner screwed up and I'm too laxy to hunt down the pic again and rescan.
Old 03-21-2001, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
the TV is smaller than the opening in the dash, or the dash is smaller than the TV?

if the TV is smaller, all you have to do is cut a piece of 1/4" plexiglass or lexan to fit in the hole, then cut the center out the same shape as the TV.
Thanks for the info, bu tthe TV is bigger than the hole in the dash, and i would just put it behind but the controls for contrast and brightness are on the top of the casing and i would like to be able to get to them, and the power button.
-Nick
Old 03-21-2001, 09:57 AM

Buy a flip out monitor then you won't have these problems.
Old 03-21-2001, 02:34 PM
STFU n00b!

sounds like you got yourself a problem then..

can you return this unit?
there are many on the market that are made for in-car installs like that, where it doesn't even have a case and the buttone are either on-screen, or attach to it by a cable on the side or back- just like your video inputs.

the other thing you MIGHT wanna consider is if the unit can be dissassembled and you can mount the buttons seperate from the display. I've seen that done many times in custom stuff.

(one guy I competed against in IASCA took apart his stock head unit in his chevy truck.. he stuck the guts of his Nak CD head unit and changer behind the stock stereo faceplate.. he put the faceplate for his Nak unit up in the headliner above his mirror. lined up the CD slots on the stock unit so they would feed through the stock faceplate directly into his Nak changer.
that's kinda the same deal, but not really. it may give you some ideas though. good luck!
Old 03-21-2001, 10:06 PM

my tv fit really akwardly into the opening so i took the unit apart and mounted plexiglass and sprayed the back of it black, but left clear the center part (just enough to see the tv) and the tv is mounted behind it. Looks dope. =) when the tv's off you can't see anything. Anyway, I had the same problem, with the controls being on the unit, but they're on a seperate board on my tv so i just soldered some wires and ran the control board around by my drivers seat out of sight.

more pics of the setup can be found on my page:

http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/maxtv.htm

and

http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/maxp3.htm