Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

i'm very new to the audio world..and i need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 10:47 AM
Ch12i5

I plan to upgrade my sound system in my 96 Maxima. All I want is punchy bass, and clear mids and highs. I just want a decent amp to provide the best possible sound through the speakers and provide good power for bass.

I've been doing a little homework, but I may have been going in the wrong direction. I'm interested in these:

Front Door Speakers:

Infiniti Kappa 63.1i (6 1/2)

Rear:

Infiniti Kappa Components 60.2cs

Amp:

Rockford Fosgate...?

Subs:

Rockford Fosgate?

I'm not sure...can someone advise me on my system? please give me your opinions and recommendations. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2001, 10:56 AM
Adam01GXE

I don't think that you can go wrong with infinity stuff especially their perfect series. People will probably tell you to put the components up front though. What you should do is just go and listen to some to get a better idea. Even though it'll sound different in your car, you'll be able to compare a couple of different brands. I know that a local shop where I used to live sold used stuff as new so if you get a bad feeling about a sales guy, take your business elsewhere.

Old 03-24-2001, 10:58 AM
Ch12i5

thanks

thanks for your help. i messed up...yeah, i was planning to put the components up front, and the 6 1/2s in the back. i don't want ANY sound distortion...or very little. Perfects are tempting..but aren't they super pricey?

Old 03-24-2001, 03:18 PM
Adam01GXE

Re: thanks

Originally posted by Ch12i5
thanks for your help. i messed up...yeah, i was planning to put the components up front, and the 6 1/2s in the back. i don't want ANY sound distortion...or very little. Perfects are tempting..but aren't they super pricey?
yeah they are a tad pricey. actually, if you are looking at infinity kappa's check into Boston Acoustic components. i tested a pair against a set of kappa's and the BA's, in my opinion sounded just as good if not better and were cheaper. especially if you are not going for a competition level system. what kind of head unit are you using?

Old 03-24-2001, 04:30 PM
Ch12i5

amp

well, i'll check out the BAs over th kappas...for the rears, what kinds of 6 1/2 should i get? would the kappa 3-ways work there? because they were on sale at crutchfiled.

is it advisible if i run a multi-channel amp to all of my speakers...including the fronts..plus the subs?

i want to get the best possible sound coming from everwhere...crystal clear details plus punchy, clean bass (that can even handle fast beats).

Old 03-24-2001, 08:46 PM
Adam01GXE

well, the more you separate the components out, the better the sound quality will be. there will be less electrical interference and so on. honestly though, for normal use a multi-channel amp in a car, in my opinion, is just fine. if you are worried about the sound blending/matching stick with the same brands for the front/rear speakers. some speakers exhibit better and clearer highs while others are known for bass response. its all a matter of personal taste. i do know that jl audio subs are pretty much the best for the money. to get the kind of bass response you are talking about, stick with a sealed enclosure. that means you are going to have to have a good sized amp though. depending on what your budget can handle a 4 channel amp for the main speakers and then a dedicated sub amp should set you right. probably no less than 50-75 watts to each channel up front and 150-200 watts to the sub depending on how many you get. sorry for being long-winded, but hope it helps.

Old 03-24-2001, 09:56 PM
Ch12i5

no...it's great

thanks for all of your help...i have a better idea of what i want now.

if i only go with one amp though...what should be powered...and what kind of setup should i have? i'm still in debate about what kind of amp i want...and whether i want 2 10's or 12's.

Old 03-25-2001, 10:38 AM

I like the Boston's Better, had a set in my old car. The highs were bright, the way i like them. the mb quart i have now seem a little flatter. As far as amp, i have to do it, i recommend an Xtant 603x or used Xtant 3300 for your application.
Old 03-25-2001, 02:35 PM

Sounds like a decent setup so far. I'd forego the 3 way triaxials in the back though you really don't want the rear speakers beaming high frequency notes at you it will mess up the sound of your front mounted components. Just go with simpler 2 way coaxials in the rear or simply some 6.5" midbass drivers. The sound will be much clearer for rear fill use.

Another brand to look into now that is comparable is CDT Audio www.cdtaudio.com very nice speakers overall and they cast a very forward image that will be pleasing. They have the Cambria models which are the lower line and the Classic and High Definition models which are their more expensive units. They compare well with speakers like Boston Acoustics but have alot more midbass attack.

As for your choice of amps certainly Rockford Fosgate is a good brand but depending on your budget there are other alternatives as well. Look into Kicker Impluse, Orion XTR, Lunar, DEI Directed Audio, Helix Precision, Hifonics Zeus and GenXI models, US Acoustics USX and UST series. A Helix 500Q would be a perfect amp for driving 4 sets of speakers and a single 10 or 12" subwoofer or even a pair of subs.