Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Online products....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:57 PM

I just read this...so not only did you lose out on the warranty, but on the actual amp itself?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:34 PM

The only three legit online stores that I know of are SoundDomain, Crutchfield, and Newegg (though the last one doesn't sell car audio)
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by ElVito1981
The only three legit online stores that I know of are SoundDomain, Crutchfield, and Newegg (though the last one doesn't sell car audio)
Neither does sounddomain. Although there are a few others..
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM

May have been answered, but May I assume Sonic electronix is a good site, they do have a banner ad on this site. I have bought from them on 2 occasions and loved the transactions, though i never had to have anything warrantied
Old 05-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Good or bad is irrelevant. The point here is whether or not they are Authorized and for most of their products, they are not.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM

I understand, I guess if one wants to they can take a chance. I never had a problem wiht Sonic but then again i never bought anything over 550. Thanks for schoolin an Newbiee, lol.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 AM

PS. Not sure if you would know but it dosent hurt to ask, any ideas where i can get an JL 1000/1 in Chrome? Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM

The only people with a dog in this fight are the Authorized Dealers, selling for near msrp.

Making that 50% or more markup,.....they gotta love it.

I have done business with etronics, hookedontronics, crutchfield, newegg, and several fly by night ebayer's, and (knock on wood), have had Zero problems with quality or reliability. The products, are in factory sealed boxes with all the owners manuals, and warranty cards.

Will I someday have a failure, that the company I buy from, not cover,....doubtful. They will probably just ship me a new one, but if they don't, I'll just find a new source and buy a new one and still be thousands of dollars ahead.........

Authorized Dealers are for the Doctors and Pharmacist's, and others who don't have time, or aren't smart enough to do the install themselves. They will walk into a local brick and motor establishment, drop the AmEx, pay for equip, and install, etc.

IMHO.....
Old 06-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Ignorance is surely bliss.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 AM

If you dont have the money and know you will not get a warranty then buy online.

Other than the above we need to support our local shops.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pearl96max, You say there are counterfeit products being sold as authentic, and I'm not contesting that. Is it realistic to think at least some of these products being sold online are real, provided these products haven't "fallen off the truck". Does that mean their also are corrupt distributors? Or where are these retailers getting their products from, in your experience?

I like the idea of supporting local businesses and by buying locally you can hear products in demo vehicles, this has helped me make a decision in the past. I know their can be pretty big margins on products which is a turn off to some when you look online and see the product for 40 or 50% off.

In a perfect world the retailer would make up for those margins by offering a higher level of service to their clientele, though the use of things like better demo rooms, vehicles, customer service, trained employees and timely and quality installations.

I wish there were more shops that invested back into their businesses and their employees, so buying locally was a "no brainer". If that was the case, maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Some online are real, a great majority of them are actually. It is all the other 'ties' associated with the purchase (or attempt of as well) that comes along with it. Bait and switch, B-stocks, returns, etc. The jumping through hoops for a warranty most times.

There are of course some etailers that will give you (their own) warranty as well. By the same token many manufacturers offer express exchange on products and you cannot get that from the etailer being as they are not actual dealers.

There are several lines that I offer and actually have exclusive rights to do so if no local dealer is present, but I use discretion (ie: no fleabay, site,etc). I also talk/email/pm every single person. A purchase regardless of amount should be more than a 'click to buy' experience, at least in my opinion.

I could not agree more about the retailers. They are, for a large portion, the ones driving consumers to the sites. Of course though, two wrongs still don't equal a right.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Just making this a sticky as alot of people are actually unaware that there are restrictions on Online products by most manufacturers.

Regardless of what the site says..if its a restricted line theres No manufacturer warranty. Many sites contradict the actual manufacturers, if the manufacturer states no sales, then theres no sales. There arent any exclusions or "special" dealers.

You dont know Exactly what your recieving..It could be B-stock/refurb, transshipped,stolen off the back of a truck,etc...

Believe or not there are MILLIONS of dollars lost every year due to counterfeit products. Yes it happens just like Rolexs. It is not difficult to build an amp,speaker,etc using less quality products. Thus selling for a much cheaper price.

Typically if something is being sold as "Brand New" and its below dealer price, theres a Very Big catch. Noone runs a business to sell products and take a loss on each sale. Again this could result from Stolen,refurb,counterfeit,etc products.

How long will the company be in business after you bought your product? a year? a Day? Who knows? Here is a good example of that...

Online store..

A couple of weeks ago a customer of mine pointed out that this site sold Arc Audio. I checked it out and noticed 95% of the products on their had restrictions. After making several calls to my Reps for such companies as Arc,DA,Focal,JL,Alpine,etc...they in turn apparently contacted this company via attorney. Now notice how the links do not work, theres no contact info,etc. They are simply just gone. YOU could have just bought something from them 2 weeks ago that broke today, and now your left with..NOTHING.
A few other companies that Ive seen tossed around on here have been Etronics, and remotestartdepot. Both of which are currently going under lawsuits from DEI. When a Multi Billion Dollar/ Fortune 500 company comes down on the small guys, how long do you think theyll last?

I will post more on this thread as I think of it, but just trying to make people aware of what theyre getting into. When you go into a store and the price is higher than online, keep in mind these guys have to pay for a Lease,electric,phones,advertising,employees,invent ory,on and on and on....Whereas an internet seller may be a guy or a few guys sitting in a room with a computer and a ton of products that came from who knows where.

--Don
Thanks for the this and all. but if the site is legit (with product and all) why are you blowing the cover of them? It actually doesn't help us out. Some companies do have overstock too like are you gonna call sonic electronix that sells the remaining stock of their eclipse speakers(which are way below MSRP prices) a scam? maybe some companies are not gonna get any more shipments and from their dealers or distributors and they are selling the remain aftershock at possible map prices.