Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Installing front components into a 1997 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:09 AM

Installing front components into a 1997 Maxima

Hi, I just purchased an Alpine Type S component set, but I don't know how to install them. I do not have the Bose stereo, but I do have an aftermarket HU, Alpine CDA-7998 which will be powering the components. I was wondering how I am supposed to wire everything up. Which wires do I connect to the "input" connectors on the crossovers? I was thinkging that the stock connections to the 6.5 speaker go to the "input" connectors to the crossover. What do I do wit the stock wiring to the stock tweeters? This is how I think I should connect it: the stock 6.5 wiring to the crossover "input", crossover "6.5" to the Alpine 6.5 speaker, crossover "tweeter" to the Alpine tweeter. With this setup I would be ignoring the stock tweeter wiring. Also, any suggestions on where to mount the crossovers. Any comments would be appreciated.

Edit: Ok, so I was just thinking, do I set it up like this instead: completey ignore the "input" on the crossovers (since it is for amp), hook up the stock 6.5 speaker wiring to the "6.5" crossover then the "6.5" crossover to the Alpine 6.5, hook up the stock tweeter wiring to the "tweeter" crossover then the "tweeter" crossover to the Alpine tweeter. By "6.5" crossover I'm referring to the 6.5 speaker connection on the crossover.

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:19 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I don't see it, but you are going to need the Bose PAC adapter as well...
Old 08-26-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Hey, why is the Bose PAC adaptor needed, and what is its function?
On another note, does the factory set up include its own crossover? As stated I do not have the factory Bose upgrade.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You have an aftermarket HU. Just run a new pair of speaker wires from your HU to each door and wire them to the crossover. Then run new wires from the crossover to each of your new speakers. The factory wires are small. Run some decent speaker wire and forget the stock wiring and you will be much happier and less confused.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:06 PM

The CDA-7998 is a dead head....
Old 08-26-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxFan
You have an aftermarket HU. Just run a new pair of speaker wires from your HU to each door and wire them to the crossover. Then run new wires from the crossover to each of your new speakers. The factory wires are small. Run some decent speaker wire and forget the stock wiring and you will be much happier and less confused.
Hey, that's what I was thinking I was going to have to do, which I am not pleased with because I don't want to go through the hassle to take apart the dash. Does anybody know if the non Bose system comes with factory crossovers?

Sorry, I just realized my HU is the CDA-7897, so it's not the "dead head" CDA-7998. I've had the thing for 4 years and I've forgotten the model number . It is still running perfectly. Would anybody like to inform me on what's the newest and best of HU? What are some new features, I thought the 5-band eq and time correction on the Alpines was pretty cool.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2006, 03:15 PM

It the HU still works for you that's all that matters. Alpine has actually went backwards with their processing features with their regular HU's.

Even if the non-Bose system came with crossovers, I would not recommend for you to use them. Use what is supplied with the speakers that you bought.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Droppin logs

Originally Posted by ghetto_bill
Hey, that's what I was thinking I was going to have to do, which I am not pleased with because I don't want to go through the hassle to take apart the dash. Does anybody know if the non Bose system comes with factory crossovers?

Sorry, I just realized my HU is the CDA-7897, so it's not the "dead head" CDA-7998. I've had the thing for 4 years and I've forgotten the model number . It is still running perfectly. Would anybody like to inform me on what's the newest and best of HU? What are some new features, I thought the 5-band eq and time correction on the Alpines was pretty cool.

Thanks

It will be alot less of a hassle to do it the right way the first time.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:40 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima

He doesn't have bose, and you of all people should know he doesn't need the PAC anyways.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:29 PM

Thanks for everyone who posted. I have decided to take apart the dash etc. I haven't decided if I should take pics and maybe a write up of the install cause I wasn't able to find, and I've never really had the chance to contribute to the members on this site. Does anybody know the locations of the stock crossovers? I would like to take them out, and if possible mount the new ones there. Anybody have suggestions on mounting locations for the crossovers?. I won't be able to do this install anytime soon cause my fingernail got pinched at work.

Kind of disapointing Alpine did some reverse engineering on their new products.

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:39 PM
tastey wheat

can you fit your new crossovers in the kickpanels? if you ever plan on getting a new HU, go with Eclipse.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 AM

Urgent!!!

Hi, I took apart my front dash, I don't know how to hook up the new speaker wire to my headunit. Do I just cut the speaker wire which is connected to the harness? I am not using an external amp.
THanks