Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by pattyt
Posted this in another thread already, but this one seems more up to date.
I just installed my Pioneer AVIC 710 and of course have the 2.2V output problem so I also installed the PAC OEM 2. The problem i have is that it literally has not changed a thing, maybe made it a bit quieter. I have fiddled around with all the adjuster screws and all I can do is turn the volume down. Waht the hell is going on ???????
Did you connect the speaker level outputs to the PAC OEM 2 rather than the pre-outs? From what I've gathered from other users, to get adequate volume you need to use the speaker level outs, not the 2.2v pre-outs.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sloanie
Did you connect the speaker level outputs to the PAC OEM 2 rather than the pre-outs? From what I've gathered from other users, to get adequate volume you need to use the speaker level outs, not the 2.2v pre-outs.
Hm, interesting because I was just looking at those wires today and wondering if I should give it a shot, but I was hesistant because couldnt that blow something, as in the PAC or Bose Amp ? because of the increased voltage
Old 03-06-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pattyt
Hm, interesting because I was just looking at those wires today and wondering if I should give it a shot, but I was hesistant because couldnt that blow something, as in the PAC or Bose Amp ? because of the increased voltage
Check out this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...installed.html

This guy did the speaker level outs with the PAC unit:

I tried wiring the system 3 different ways to see what produced the best volume/clarity. I ended up using PAC's ROEM-NIS2 kit and the speaker-level wires on the HU. I wanted to run from the HU's RCA preamps to the Bose amp, but the volume wasn't there. I had the HU all the way maxed out at 35 and the sound wasn't all that loud. So I tried hooking up the HU's RCA preamps to the PAC kit, but I had the same problem. So I used speaker-level into the PAC kit instead. The volume was much better, and surprisingly not distorted at all. I checked the system with a test tones CD for clarity as well.
Hope this helps! The main reason for usually not running the speaker level wires into an amp is that it doesn't necessarily produce the cleanest signal (as you can see, he was concerned about distortion). But, from this person's experience, this worked fine.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Well I did it today. And everything works briliantly. Thankyou sloanie for your help !!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The car is a 95' Maxima SE with the Bose setup.

Planning on putting in a new HU.

Just want to make sure I have thise right. The min. I'm going with is a 4V so I will need to use the 551, and everything should work alright?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Suspension Yoda

Correct, but Let me tweak your wording a little bit so you understand the logic behind which adapter to use. It's not actually the 7551 that's a 'needed', the alternative is the necessity.

Since the minimum you're going to use is 4v, you'll be able to get by using the 70-7551. Anything lower, then you need the PAC OEM NIS2
Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Correct, but Let me tweak your wording a little bit so you understand the logic behind which adapter to use. It's not actually the 7551 that's a 'needed', the alternative is the necessity.

Since the minimum you're going to use is 4v, you'll be able to get by using the 70-7551. Anything lower, then you need the PAC OEM NIS2
Got ya. Thanks

And also I plan on putting in some subs so do I hook them up normally like would to any aftermarket HU, and wire up the same.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Suspension Yoda

Since you're going to be using the 70-7551, the front/rear RCA's will be in use. You'll have to make sure your HU has a 3rd set of RCA's for subwoofer output. Then just wire up a new amp/subs like any other standard aftermarket installation.

Where are you located?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Since you're going to be using the 70-7551, the front/rear RCA's will be in use. You'll have to make sure your HU has a 3rd set of RCA's for subwoofer output. Then just wire up a new amp/subs like any other standard aftermarket installation.

Where are you located?
Yea. I'm going 6-channel that has front,rear, and subs.

Louisville,KY
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Not to step on any toes here, but........I installed a Blaupunkt in my car a few weeks ago using the Metra 7551 harness, and after reading the specs on it after doing the install, I realized the RCA's only had 3v. But this doesn't seemed to have any impact on the volume or sound level or anything else. It's cleaner than the stock deck was in both highs and low end. So I guess I'm asking, what kind of impact is only having 3v vs. the 4v gonna have? Am I gonna eventually end up damaging the headdeck?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Suspension Yoda

No impact. I suppose for your purposes 3v was enough output to power the Bose system well enough. Anecdotally, some individual have found it was low. It can't damage the HU in any way.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:29 PM

hey guys i have a question. seeing how all of these pertain to bose equipped owners.
on my 4th gen i "upgraded" my oem h/u to the pathfinder h/u.
it seems louder.
so i'm satisfied...for the most part.
i was wanting a lil' more bass.
so i was thinking get 2 more bose 6.5 speakers with a bose amp and use that as my "low's".
think it's worth a shot?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Suspension Yoda

You want bass, then buy subs. Why would you buy speakers if you want bass? Why would you buy sprite if you want coke?

And adding Bose amps? That's a wiring nightmare, and definitely one of the lesser intelligent ideas I've heard in a while.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 AM

i've added bose amp's before on my 3rd gen.
wasn't a nightmare.

also would like to add that there's a couple member's here who has a 8" sub in the middle. and i belive even a 10".
also another member who used 6x9's.

i was thinking about adding a sub. but i figured since there was two sqaure holes also looked like screw holes too.

looked like someone had already beat me to my idea with my car.
but i figured i have extra bose speakers (6x9's and 6.5s) and a ton of bose amps...what have i got to lose?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Alright guys I've read through this whole thing and then some more threads and can't seem to find the exact answer I need. I have the factory bose stereo, I'm going to be purchasing an aftermarket headunit that has front and rear pre-outs. I'll be purchasing the Metra 70-7551 and plug the factory speaker RCA's into that harness. My questions are:

1. Can I use a y splitter on the front RCA output's of the harness and use that for the 4 bose speakers in the car then use the rear output for the subwoofer I'll be adding?

2. Can I use the front and rear outputs from the harness like normal hooked up to the 4 door speakers and then hook a LOC to the rear subwoofer deck wires for my aftermarket amplifier? I unplugged the rear deck sub because it's blown and want to use the wires going to the sub for the Line Out Converter (LOC).
Old 04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Suspension Yoda

1. Why don't you just get a HU that has 3 sets of preouts? Front, rear, sub. It's not uncommon these days.

2. Get a deck with 3 preouts and that resolves the need for an LOC.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

+1 to what dj said it's exactly what I was going to say.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:53 PM

I want a double din factory appearing deck and am on a bit of a budget. I agree that there are a lot of decks with 3 pre outs, most are single din and I can't afford the more expensive double dins right now or in the immediate future. This is the deck I want to get:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 04-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Bump
Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Suspension Yoda

First, Don't settle. If you want something, save up for what you really want. Why would you consciously spend on something you're not 100% certain on that doesn't even have the features you want (or in this case, the features you NEED) just for the sake of buying something?

Secondly, why must it be double DIN? No matter what you purchase, it's not going to look factory.

Third, I'm not even all that impressed with the deck you picked. 2v preouts? No offense, but that's pathetic.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 04-09-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM

Ok cool I gotcha. Thanks for all the responses guys, I appreciate it.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:30 AM

hey guys i have a question. seeing how all of these pertain to bose equipped owners.
on my 4th gen i "upgraded" my oem h/u to the pathfinder h/u.
it seems louder.
so i'm satisfied...for the most part.
i was wanting a lil' more bass.
so i was thinking get 2 more bose 6.5 speakers with a bose amp and use that as my "low's".
think it's worth a shot?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Suspension Yoda

Seriously? You already asked this question in another thread, AND got a response. Don't repeat yourself.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:51 PM

ok now its time for my question...my factory bose speakers are all blown or almost blown due to some hard hitting music i listen to obviously....i read almost all this thread and found no good enough answer....i want to replace my factories with aftermarket...i need good susgetions for heavy metal and alos hip hop cause i listen to both...also need some info regarding the wiring for the bose to aftermarket speakers..how to basically
Old 04-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Suspension Yoda

You didn't read. If you want to replace your speakers, you're going to have to rewire your car. To make things easier, you should get an aftermarket amp while you're at it.

OR, rewire your car, and get an aftermarket HU, and run the new speakers off your new aftermarket head unit.

As for suggestions, www.crutchfield.com.

If you want some additional help, post a budget and a choice on what avenue you'd like to take.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM

Seriously? You already asked this question in another thread, AND got a response. Don't repeat yourself.
actually, the only response i got was from you. which was a bit on the negative side.

maybe there's still some people that like bose and wanna keep the oem set-up.

i figured that since someone cut into the rear deck i could make use of that.

subwoofer's compromise space, also get's crooks interested in you car.
with this set-up it looks factory and sounds better. so i would rather go with an 8" or 10".
Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Suspension Yoda

Try replacing your HU with aftermarket. It will make your Bose system sound even better.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
actually, the only response i got was from you. which was a bit on the negative side.

maybe there's still some people that like bose and wanna keep the oem set-up.

i figured that since someone cut into the rear deck i could make use of that.

subwoofer's compromise space, also get's crooks interested in you car.
with this set-up it looks factory and sounds better. so i would rather go with an 8" or 10".
Get rid of the factory deck, it limits your possibilities, it's volume is preset from the factory and all the other responses (bass, treble) seem flat. If you want more bass, then add more bass. At one time, Kicker offered a 6x9 subwoofer, not too sure if they do any more or not. The 8" you refer to being in some members' cars is stock. My car has one. For me at my age (38) it does the job, for the younger guys that want to wake the dead leaving a party at 2 or 3 am listening to their (usually) sh!tty music, this 8 doesn't suffice. There are a few free-air 8"s out there, but 10's have a bigger/better selection. These will possibly fit into your rear deck if installed correctly.

But overall, this is your car, only you can decide what you want to do to it. If adding more BOSE components is what you want, by all means, go for it!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 AM

Okie Dokie

So in my old 97, my friend hooked my radio up directly to the bose system without any "special harness" and it worked (I have no idea how he did it) , but the speakers did end of popping out so I guess this was the reason why.

So I'm buying a 95 tomorrow and the first thing that may go is the bose radio. I only go for radio's with 5V preamp outputs. Is that ok to use with the metro 70-7551?...I'm only asking because everyone has said they are using a radio with 4V.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM

My Blau only has 3v outputs and the 7551 kit works perfect, so I would assume it will work on a deck with 5v outputs.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Suspension Yoda

I agree
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM

1800 bucks.
normally that's what i would do.
in one of my post i stated the car came with pioneer 6.5 3 ways, all around.
and an awia cd head unit.

now when the bass boost was on it was too much distortion.
my q45 sounds better.

the head unit that i want and that will work well with the bose...well, money's kinda tight and will be for awhile.

and the head unit is from a pathfinder which is a step up from the 4th gen head unit.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Suspension Yoda

Posting this from another thread, and answering them here:

Originally Posted by Eirik
(Is "reviving" old threads a no-no here?)

I'm having trouble finding any information on the stock Bose system and was really hoping you guys could direct me to some technical sheets or the like. I have an '02 with the seven speakers in Bose housing (implying the premium option, I'm assuming, though the dealer I bought it from didn't have it listed as an option) and a TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE Pioneer head-unit that belongs in some ricer's 1994 Civic. I'm really hoping the lady had it stolen or something, 'cause if she thought that was an improvement over a BOSE... Well, she needs some help.

My questions:
1. Did the stock/non-option audio have Bose speakers?
2. I was relieved to hear the system came with a proper amp. It's in the trunk? Any idea on its power rating?
3. Does the system have passive crossovers?
4. Are the speakers mounted above the dash dedicated tweeters?
5. How come I'm having trouble finding information on the setup?
6. Can you buy a new factory head unit? I'm definitely ripping out this Pioneer garbage as soon as I can to get something that doesn't anger me at night with its constant flipping between super-bright screen and the night-mode screen, as well as the ability to use my steering wheel controls and have the trip computer function.
7. What sort of reliability problems are people having with their Bose systems? I've read about CDs getting stuck and some mystical statements that the system "cuts out," randomly, in certain modes, but haven't really found anything on speaker life.
8. The six-disc changer would be in the trunk, I'm assuming? Was there a single-CD Bose option?
1. You either have Bose or non-Bose
2. If you have a 4th gen, there is a small amp at each speaker. 5th gen is mounted in the trunk, under the rear deck
3. Yes, in-line between the door speaker and the tweeter
4. Dedicated? They're run off the same line that powers the door speaker
5. Tech specs aren't that available because everyone knows the system sucks and generally just rips it out - or modifies what's wrong, such as replacing the HU
6. Yes, eBay, or classifieds on this forum. Very interesting because an aftermarket HU always makes the Bose speakers sound BETTER than the OEM HU - when installed properly, of course.
7. Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Speaker life is based on how hard you pound your music. I've seen blown speakers at 30k miles and I've seen perfect speakers at 150k. They're made out of paper so your expectations shouldn't be that high
8. I believe so. Some have in-dash 6disc changers

Hope this answers your questions. I highly suggest you read the thread I'm linking you to below. It has a LOT of information, and is pretty much THE thread used to discuss the Bose system in this forum. A post like this would have been better suited there.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 1800bucks
My Blau only has 3v outputs and the 7551 kit works perfect, so I would assume it will work on a deck with 5v outputs.
Ok. I'm just making sure theres no voltage limit. For example, if I were to buy an Eclipse head unit with 8v an preamp.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the bose radio in my 90 doesnt work right, i'm not sure what to replace...
the radio works...as in, it lights up, changes channels, antenna works, i do get music out of it , but its a low volume even all the way up with alot of interference (doesnt sound like alternator noise), & it only gets sound thru the right side speakers , more in the rear than front
i'm not sure if its a radio problem or a hu problem
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Suspension Yoda

radio = head unit (HU)

Replace with aftermarket and be done with it. The deck is 20 years old...
Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Now confirmed from firsthand experience

Try replacing your HU with aftermarket. It will make your Bose system sound even better.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi im new thanks for the imfo tells me alot i have a bad back deck speaker so im looking for 1 or 2 mine seem to sound blowed btw anyone know where i can get a factory steerwheel my 97 nissan maximas steerwheel looks pretty bad cant seem to find one if anyone knows let me know thanks in advanced.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^^
1st. welcome to the forum.

2nd - wow.

1. Please use punctuation and proper coherent sentences. I had to read this 3x just to understand wtf you are trying to say.
2. Look in the right forum - classified section. You might want to concentrate on the 4th gen classifieds subforum for a steering wheel, and the audio classified subforum for the rear speakers.
3. You can't create a new thread until you have either 10 or 15 posts (can't remember which). Please make CONSTRUCTIVE additions to existing threads in order to get your post count up.
4. SEARCH before you make new threads.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM

I got one for y'all,

1st- what year bose had the "SAT" button on it?

2nd-how hard would it be to swap that HU into my 01, if its possible?

I would go aftermarket, but Im trying to keep it as stock as possible and dont want to have the external sirius radio on top of my regular radio....

Quick Reply: The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread