Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 PM

The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement/Intergration/General Knowledge Thread

I am building this thread in order to help all those with stock BOSE questions as far as replacement questions goes. If you know what to search for, your answers can be found quickly. But, for most this can be a tedious procedure. Below I will post some helpful hints, tips, and knowledge on how to deal with your premium BOSE system. This thread pertains to Infiniti's 96-99 with a BOSE premium sound system. THIS THREAD IS MORE GEARED FOR 96-99 INFINITI I30's, BUT YOU MAXIMA OWNERS CAN BENEFIT TOO AS WELL AS OTHER AUDIO ENTHUSIASTS!!!

EDIT 10-2013 - THE BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME IS VIA MY E-MAIL DJRAVE06660 @ Y A H O O . C O M

WHEN I EDIT THIS THREAD I WILL PUT A PARAGRAPH AT THE BOTTOM OF PAGE STATING WHAT I EDITED.

◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙

TOPICS THUS FAR:
Q1. I have a stock Premium Bose Sound System in my car, what does this mean?
Q2. My stock premium sound system headunit has died, what do I do.
Q3. Ok so now that I have chosen an aftermarket headunit and the wiring harness of my choice, what other items do I need?
Q4. How will my aftermarket radio fit into my car. I have a 1 din radio, what do i do?
Q5. MY BOSE amp died on the back of one of my speakers, can i use the power from my headunit?
Q6. Can i replace a BOSE speaker with a different brand speaker and connect it to the BOSE amp?
Q7. Why are there so many damned colors?
Q8. WHOA OMG, WTF. I have an extra black wire emanating from my METRA harness 70-7551, who what and why is it there and what do i do with it?
Q9. My harness comes with crimp tubes, are these any good?
Q10. How is My BOSE Headunit grounded?
Q11. Ok so now that you have explained these confuzzling ground wires, how the hell do i ground my new aftermarket headunit?
Q12. Ok i have an annoying whining noise and/or other static/pop noises comming through my speakers what can I do?
Q13. How do I remove my headunit from my center console? Any update on the RCA low volume issue?

The Q and A:

Q1. I have a stock Premium Bose Sound System in my car, what does this mean?

A1. You have a Clarion headunit (even though bose is plastered all over it) which integrates to individual BOSE amplifiers which feed power to each BOSE speaker.
(AKA 4 speakers, 4 amplifiers. Front speakers are components consisting of 6.5 inch woofers with 2 inch mounting depth and tweeters on the pillars. Rear Speakers are full range 6.5 inch speakers.)

Q2. My stock premium sound system headunit has died, what do I do.

A1. You have choices. Get it repaired, which can be costly and far from time efficient, or purchase a headunit of your choice. There are 2 integration harnesses that allow you to send a signal from your new headunit to the BOSE amps behind each speaker.

Method 1:
Amp Integration Harness Metra Part 70-7550 as shown here:
Metra Part 70-7550

This harness is all well and good, but it is taking the raw power signal from your headunits internal amp and sending it to the BOSE amplifiers. This harness is geared for aftermarket headunits without 4 sepaker preamp out jacks. This method will work, BUT, you get alot of distortion because it's a high level signal. TOO much signal produces distortion, too little signal will prevent the volume from reaching a decent level. As I said before, this will work, but you will get a crappier signal.

Method 2:
Amp integration Harness Metra Part 70-7551
Metra Part 70-7551

This harness is the best harness you can get. This harness utilizes the low level RCA preamp outputs of your new headunit to produce a clear signal to your BOSE amplifiers. With this harness you bypass your headunits internal amplifier and use only the preamp outs. This method supplies the proper amount of signal to eliminate distortion presented by direct amplifer hookup like with the Metra 70-7550.

Q3. Ok so now that I have chosen an aftermarket headunit and the wiring harness of my choice, what other items do I need?

A3.Well assuming that you still have a stock antenna wire, you most likely will need the antenna adapter 40-NI10
Infiniti/Nissan Antenna Adapter Metra Part 40-NI10

This adapter will allow your stock antenna wire to work with th aftermarket antenna wire found on the rear of your aftermarket headunit.

Q4. How will my aftermarket radio fit into my car. I have a 1 din radio, what do i do?

A4.You need to get a dash kit. There are several companies that sell dash kits to fit your stereo, but for the sake of keeping everything from the same company we will use METRA as our source for this dash kit.

Dash Kit 1:
Nissan/Infiniti Multi Kit Metra Part 99-7417
Nissan/Infiniti Dash Multi Kit Metra part 99-7417

For infiniti purposes, you will not use most of the pieces floating around that center section. YAY!

Dash Kit 2:
Now if you so decided to be a baller and purchase a 2 DIN aftermarket headunit you can purchase the 2 Din dash kit Metra part 95-7417
2 Din Multi Kit Metra Part 95-7417

Q5. MY BOSE amp died on the back of one of my speakers, can i use the power from my aftermarket headunit?

A5. NO, NO,NO. Bose runs their speakers at 1 ohm. Aftermarket headunits run their channels at 4 ohms unless otherwise stated. 99% of the time it will be 4 ohms. If you try to power the 1 ohm Bose speaker, you will burn out the amplifier in your new headunit. It is much more difficult to drive a 1 ohm load than a 4 ohm load. I know, its kind of contradictory to what you would believe but its true. The lower impedance actually creates more heat and stress on the headunit which is why it overheats. Some amps are designed to push low impedance loads and those can handle the heat. Headunits just aren't designed like this. I suppose there could be a sporadic design here and there but i would place huge wagers on a deck being 4 ohm nominal over 1 or 2 ohms. Also note, impedance is dynamic and constantly changes but the nominal impedance needs careful attention.

Q6. Can i replace a BOSE speaker with a different brand speaker and connect it to the BOSE amp?

A6. NO and YES Once again, the speaker runs on 1 ohm, most, 99% of aftermarket speakers run on 4 ohms. You could run a 4 ohm speaker but you most likely have lower volumes since the amplifier would produce less power at 4 ohms than 1 ohm. Your challenge here would be to find a like quality speaker that has similar characteristics to the stock speaker. If you swap one, I would swap the other as well. In the end, you would do better to find a 2 ohm speaker like Infinity has and hope it has a good efficiency to help eek as much out of the wattage that is left to create a decent amplitude.

Q7. Is it hard to integrate the wiring harness?

A7. Not at all. When you integrate the wiring harness of your choice you are not splicing any part of the existing harness. The harness that is attached to your car remains the same. The integration harness you purchased will plug into your car's harness. From here you have wires on the opposite end that need to be attached to the wiring harness that comes with the aftermarket headunit you chose. Both the headunit and and Metra cable come with directions specifying what color wires are for what. The Metra cable packaging has the wire designation on the back so do not throw the packaging away. Somewhere in your headunit manual will be the wire color designations for their harness.

Q7. Why are there so many damned colors?

A7. So many colors because of so many connections. Most aftermarket manufacturers follow the same wire color schemes to keep things more uniform. It is easier on everyone'es part when it's this way. HOWEVER, this is not true in 100% of the cases. Always double check to make sure that the colors match so that when you hookup your accessories you don't ruin anything.

Q8. WHOA OMG, WTF. I have an extra black wire emanating from my METRA harness 70-7551, who what and why is it there and what do i do with it?

A8. Ok here's the deal. After a lot more research i am fixing this answer. The deal is, there are 2 ground wires, 1 per harness. Unfortunately, there will most likely be no place to connect these to on your new aftermarket headunit because these wires are grounds for the bare negative wire which travels along side your + and - signal cables to your amps at your speakers. This method is called shield wiring because this single bare negative wire removes electrical pulses from its environment and grounds them. This prevents interference on your signal. Basically, now that you know this you should ground these two wires to the chassis as close as possible to the HU. I haven't done this yet because i just figured it out so i will fix the end of this and tell you all where i put my grounds for them.

Q9. My harness comes with crimp tubes, are these any good?

A9. The crimp tubes are fine. The metra harness's don't have crimp tubes to my knowledge but many times, in the case with my alpine headunit, the headunit harness has crimp tubes. You can use these tubes and things will work fine but it is always recommended that you twist the wires together and cover it with something to protect the bare wire. I always ditch the crimps and twist the wires together and then use heat-shrink tubing. You should solder the wires together as well and then cover with shrink tubing, but you don't have to. Make sure the wires are firmly together. If you chose to forego the shrink-wrap, use electrical tape. Choice is up to you, i just find shrink-wrap tubing to be more of a finished look.

Q10. How is My BOSE Headunit grounded?

A10. The way your BOSE headunit grounded is via the metal case. In other words, your headunit is screwed into the cage which is screwed into the dash which is connected to the chassis which is a common ground to your battery.

Q11. Ok so now that you have explained these confuzzling ground wires, how the hell do i ground my new aftermarket headunit?

A11. Well, there are options. Chances are you new aftermarket headunit will come with a black ground lead on it. In the case of our cars, ground the wire to the chassis spot of your choosing. Your new aftermarket headunit may ground itself to the chassis via its metal casing but make sure that the black ground wire from your new headunit is grounded to the chassis.

Q12. Ok i have an annoying whining noise and/or other static/pop noises coming through my speakers what can I do?

A12. When you have a whine coming through your speakers that means that somewhere in your car is a ground loop. This is a rather common occurrence unfortunately and is caused when there are multiple grounds to a negative and electricity could travel either path causing noise in the system. A more in depth way to explain it is as such: your whole car is basically a ground plane for which negative electricity travels back to the battery. Different parts of the car have different ground resistances. This differential in resistances is the noise you hear when you have a ground loop. If speakers aren't involved, these resistances drops aren't necessarily a huge concern but even the smallest drops can cause noise in your audio system. You want to try and use the biggest pieces of metal in your car to ground on because they generally have the lowest resistances. Be weary though that using mounting bolts that are pre-existing might now be best. Also take note that some body panels are glued together and don't necessarily conduct electricity that well. Typically, you may have to try a few locations and if need be, whip out your multi-meter. I had to do this with my challenger audio install.

Now the whining you hear is the alternator spinning and you will notice the noise is louder at higher RPM, so that means its proportional to how fast the alternator spins. My assumption is that the whine is caused by the alternators recharging and supplying of power back into the system. Just some more information, alternators have diodes on them so as to prevent electricity from flowing back in. Diodes limit electricity to one path, so electricity cant go back. Now in some cases the diode or diodes on the alternator get burned out or just break and this can cause the whine as well. Usually this is an absolute last thing to check is a more rare occurrence.

Now that you read this whole speal you are probably wondering what you can do to fix the issue. Well i have a solution that has worked for me and many others but isn't a 100% sure. You can buy ground loop isolators which this method is for those using the RCA jacks on your aftermarket headunit. You need to purchase 2 isolators because each has a l and r channel and your have 4 channels to you need 2. These help to eliminate the noise in the circuit. This isn't a cure but more of a band-aid for the greater problem. Isolators can work in several ways from breaking the signal path and replicating the signal via magnets or using filters to try and "clean" the signal. Jensen Transformers makes the magnetic isolator and it is spendy but it works and is really more of a cure but is still a bandaid. In these cars though, with multiple amps in different locations, it is very difficult to get them grounded on the same plane nicely. This is where "less is more" is aptly placed.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-012

Q13.How do I actually get to my Bose Headunit?

A13.Its very easy, the tough part is not breaking anything while doing it. For you to get at your Bose headunit you need to take the center console apart a little bit. The wood trim by the gear shifter is held down to the console with pain in the *** v-clips. The first time I took it up i did it with my fingers, i was able to fit my fingers in on the inside of it and pull up towards one of the corners. You can take a flathead screwdriver and use a cloth to help not damage the trim to pry it up. When you get it up, you are left with the cigarette light attached to it. Just pull the cord off the back of the light, it just pressure fits more or less. After that, the ashtray is there, there are two screws holding this in, one on the left and one on the right. To get it out, you need to open it and pull it out, the light for it is connected and u can throw it to the side of disc it. After that, you can get access to both of the bottom screws that hold the cage that holds the tray, HU, and AC controls. You need to remove the top vent and disc the wires from the harness, its kind of a ***** to leave it connected and sit the vents on your dash tbh. Getting the vents out cant be troubling, my method was to put my fingers into the vents at the bottom up to about my second knuckles and press down and pull out. The vents stay by being force fit in and held in with little pieces of plastic that let u push it back in but not pull it out easy. After the vents are remove, you now have access to the two top screws of the cage, remove those and you can now pull out th whole cage and you can get access to the wires and screws holding the HU in.

The low sound issue resulting from the preamp voltage: I didnt find any cheap method before i traded my car in, the best thing you can do is buy a preamp line driver. TRU Tech makes a good one, very expensive $300, this is what Nismos recommends. You can find cheaper line drivers like the ones memphis makes that are about 60-120. Fortunately in recent years, more line drivers have come onto the market at more affordable prices making them good options. Even still, when i choose a new aftermarket deck, i try to get one with high voltage pre-amp outs. My current Pioneer deck is a 3-way deck with 5V preamp outs. I wouldnt let this limit you though if you plan to do outboard active processing and what not.

It really comes down to cleanliness of sound and quality of signal. Your aftermarket HU will produce a great RCA signal compared to the raw signal at the trade off of amplitude (strength of the signal and the result of what you hear). I know there are converter packs you can buy which take the raw power signal or the HU and convert it to RCA, i don't know if the signal strength is higher than that of the metra harness. These converters i think from what i remember were like 35-80 bux.

Additional items may be found on METRA's website. Put your car info in and you can choose your application needed.
http://www.metraonline.com/vehicleguide.aspx

If you want to poke around for other car shiz, check out Installer.com. That is where i purchased my harness, they have everything you need to do a great intsallation.
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect....Installer.com

Edit: 2/24/08
Ok, after consulting with the mechanics manual for the car with a lot of trying to figure out the wiring schematic i have come to this. I have no idea what the popping noise yet, BUT I HAVE ALTERNATOR WHINE. yes quite annoying, but i have learend a couple good things.

Fixed Q8, it was all wrong, damn you metra almost perfect but it helps to consult with your mechanics guide in the electrical section. Also added some new info

I still have a popping noise, haven't figured it out yet. I have some slight alternator whine. I am assuming that this was there originally for me but was inaudible due to the original type of harness used on my radio. Now that i am using RCA's it is much clear, but the whine is now audible. I am assuming this has to do with my currently ****ed up grounding situation. So as soon as things are properly grounded we should be good i hope. As a side note, i never had alternator whine until i had my new headunit installed. So it has to be it.

EDIT: 3/30/08
I added question 12 on alternator whine elimination and getting rid of other possible noise coming through your speakers.

EDIT: 4/23/09
Added a little shpeal on how to get to the HU and more on the low volume issues.

<b>EDIT: 10-30-2013
I am never on here but happy to the thread is alive. I did some updating and cleaned up grammar and added some new helpful info. I know a lot of the links are dead, i am not fixing them. The info existing should be near enough to help you find the same or like product to what is listed. My e-mail is at the top of the thread if you need my assistance. I just deleted like 15 unread PMs from the last 4 years that i never read because I never came on here. E-Mail me with questions or other general audio concerns and I will help in whatever way I can.
</b>

Wiring Harness Wire Guide:
This is as if you were looking at the harness connected to your car dead on with you holding the connectors with the top row missing 2 connection points in the middle. These numbers are verbatim from the mechanics book for a 1996 infiniti i30 with a bose premium sound system.

Smaller Harness:

16_______12
15_14_13_11

11 = Shield Wire Ground (ground wire runs with signal cables(+ and -) for rear BOSE amplifiers to shield their signal)
12 = Amp On Signal Wire (turns on all 4 BOSE amplifiers)
13 = Left Rear -
14 = Left Rear +
15 = Rear Right -
16 = Rear Right +

Larger Harness:

10_8 ___4_2
9_7_6_5_3_1

1 = Front Left -
2 = Front Left +
3 = Front Right -
4 = Front Right +
5 = Power Antenna
6 = Battery (this ensures you keep your presets when your car is turned off)
7 = Illumination Constant (wont dim when lights are on, most cases you would use this)
8 = Illumination Switch (will dim your radio when your lights are on)
9 = Shield Wire Ground (ground wire runs with signal cables(+ and -) for front BOSE amplifiers to shield their signal)
10 = ACC/Ignition (the red wire)

DISCLAIMER:
I take no responsibility for you messing up your car or electronics. The info above was supplied as guidelines for you to make good decisions and to help aid you in your purchases and install. If you feel that you cannot or feel that you do not possess the knowledge and ability to make the right choices, go to a professional installer.

Last edited by SuBXeRo; 10-30-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Play with my balls

Nice Q&A, should help out quite a bit of people.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 PM

thanks man, i posted it in the i30 forum and thought that it would benefit more people in here as well. I will update both threads at the same time so updates will be concurrent. I keep adding and editing them with more info, better info, and better pictures. BOSE is a funky thing but can be worked with.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Great thread, I feel it should be stickied for easier access than what is already in the stickys.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nismos14
Great thread, I feel it should be stickied for easier access than what is already in the stickys.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:43 PM

For real!!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 AM

I wish I could use this thread but I don't have the Bose system and it looks like not many people on the Org are in my position.

I suck.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:07 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

If you don't have bose its easier.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:49 PM

If you don't have bose its easier.
How is that? I'm sorry. I am really a noob for car audio.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMaxima06
I wish I could use this thread but I don't have the Bose system and it looks like not many people on the Org are in my position.

I suck.
You connect the aftermarket HU speaker level output directly to the speakers if you do have Bose.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:44 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by SilverMaxima06
How is that? I'm sorry. I am really a noob for car audio.
Just connect it straight up, regular metra 70-7550 harness.

Originally Posted by dashan
You connect the aftermarket HU speaker level output directly to the speakers if you do have Bose.
No you don't, because then you will blow the bose amps, did you even read the thread?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Turbo'd Saab

what about sub replacement, my bose sub is cutting out and I was thinking of just replacing it with another free-air 8" aftermarket sub, what does that entail to do such a thing, like the wiring and such.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:52 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Simply replacing the sub may not stop the skipping.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Simply replacing the sub may not stop the skipping.
well that aside, I hit it and it comes back the moment i hit it. but what about wiring how direct is connecting the aftermarket sub to the stock wiring, is it straight foward.

I'm thinking about getting a Kicker or whatever is available 8" free-air sub

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 02-24-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:06 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Find a 2 ohm sub
Old 02-24-2008, 09:32 PM

I have to chime in on this one, since I started the whole Bose collection 6+ years ago. If you can't find it here or in the Audio Forum's FAQ, search for posts by me. I've documented the mess out of the Bose systems, including issues with the 2002-2003 HUs, etc.

Great job on compiling everything!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:16 PM

didntean to jack your threads at all, i have just searched hi and low for the info i am posting here and have always had a hard time finding anything laid out like this. I figure if i am having trouble find answers so are other people. I don't want people to be afraid of their electronics, especially, BOSE, its a beast at first but can soon be tamed.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Ha, ha, ... it's all good. I've still got people sending PMs, etc about the old-school PAC kit, back before the AOEM-NIS2 and ROEM-NIS2 kits existed, where you had to buy the OEM-1 and the other parts seperately and build it yourself. Let me know if you need more info, but it looks like between the two of us, we've summed up 95% of it all.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM

haha well, i am working on getting rid of my alternator whine due to my radio install, i know its the radio cause i never had it before lol. any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:37 AM

studman and subxero,

I was reading this thread by studman:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=141514

and he used the PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter connected to the speaker level outputs.

Subxero used the Metra 70-7551 connected to the pre-amp outputs as described in this thread.

I am trying to decide which adapter to go with. Do either of you know enough about both adapters to do a little comparison between the two (i.e. Ease of installation, sound clarity, volume, issues since installation (alternator whining), etc.)

I know the PAC adapter is more expensive, but I would rather spend the extra $30 if its ends up with a better product.

Thank you.....
Old 02-27-2008, 05:39 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The pac is not necessarily better. The bottom line is, if you get a headunit that has preout voltage greater than 4 volts, the metra 70-7551 is all you need!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Ok, heres the deal. Some headunits require you to have your internal amp switched off in order to utilize the preamp outs, including the subwoofer rca's. In my case, i got no signal from the hu to my subs the original way because my internal amplifier was enabled. This was a second reason why i switched harness's. (read your headunit manual)

you can stick with the 7550 harness and get a pac converter and not use the rca's and the signal will be just as good. pac converters really do wonders to the quality of sound, i had one connected to my subwoofer amp originally feed off the signal from the rear deck. Huge different in comparison to highlevel inputs.

Go with the 7551 if you want, it is easier to install, basically same price as the 7550, choice is up to you and what you feel like doing.

Currently i am having popping issues with my headunit and the 7551 harness but i am attributing it to my poor ground that i have now with the headunit. I wouldnt consider the harness the issue.

overall suggestion, go with the 7551 harness. its easier, faster, will sound better. If you encounter issues, we are here to help. As always i have my aim sn on here so if you have questions, feel free to contact me
Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Wow, I've never come across a HU that didn't enable the pre-outs unless you turned off the internal amp, what HU is that?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM

I'll just buy both, i get em for cheap for a source. both for under $10, lol ...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM

i have an alpine cda-9883. the preamp outs for the subs are not enabled while internal amp is on. The preamp channels for the speakers are enabled either way it seems, on or off.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Guys .. I just got my D3, I have stock bose. Question

do i HAVE to purchase that double din kit? Or will it direct fit.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scooobay
Guys .. I just got my D3, I have stock bose. Question

do i HAVE to purchase that double din kit? Or will it direct fit.
you MUST purchase some kind of kit....you'll have ugly gaps on the side of your headunit.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:05 PM

i like how my bose speakers sound at low volume but mid to high the amp push them too hard.
i was thinking of getting some 4" pioneers for the front and 6x9's for the rear...
or just get newer ones from the j/y..
Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 PM

well it all depends one what your taste is. just remember that you cannot use the BOSE amps that are there due the impendence difference.

what car do you drive 1992maximase30
Old 02-29-2008, 05:01 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Some speakers can actually play alright with the bose amp, amazingly enough.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 PM

yes, but the impedence difference will ruin the amp or the speakers, it doesnt meant hat it wont work, you will just ruin your equipment
Old 02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

A 4 ohm speaker on a bose amp will not ruin anything, it will/may just be quieter. A 2 ohm speaker would utilize the power a big better. It's doable, the results will just be poor.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM

bose amps and speakers are at 1 ohm
Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 PM

what my screen name says 92 maxima se.
when my sub was'nt acting right and i was lazy to fix it i just put all the bass for the speakers.

the fronts hit nice and hard and it can control it.
the rears though is a different story.
at a specific volume level they don't distort they have the trunk rattle.

the bose is set at 1 ohm hooking up aftermarket speakers won't harm the amp.
they'll just be lower.

i think ima get some newer bose.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:06 PM

ok so my newest issue is that my headunit is being currently grounded by my antenna cable, like wtf. i keep weeding down issues. I took my heu out to make sure that the chassis wasnt grounded and disc'ed all the other neg wires to make sure and it was grounded through the antenna. Currently i dont have any antenna setup due to the fact that it got trashed in a car wash cause im a dumb *** so the antenna was disconnected.

rarble
Old 03-02-2008, 01:13 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
ok so my newest issue is that my headunit is being currently grounded by my antenna cable, like wtf. i keep weeding down issues. I took my heu out to make sure that the chassis wasnt grounded and disc'ed all the other neg wires to make sure and it was grounded through the antenna. Currently i dont have any antenna setup due to the fact that it got trashed in a car wash cause im a dumb *** so the antenna was disconnected.

rarble
It's supposed to be grounded through the antenna. If you disconnect the antenna, the radio will not turn on.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 PM

actually, as stated by the manual,

"ground is supplied through the case of the radio."
"also, radio and cd player terminal 12 is grounded to body grounds m13 and m73 throughaudio amp relay terminals 1 and 2"

Last edited by SuBXeRo; 03-02-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM

hey guys.....

sorry in advance.......serious car audio noob here again.....

Does the rear sub have its own amplifier in the stock set-up? Looking at the metra 70-7551 adapter, it appears to have only 4 rca connections. My guess would be FR, FL, RR, RL, one for each speaker. If the headunit has a separate sub preamp connection, is it possible to run the stock sub directly from that? Or does it run off of the other speakers?

Specifically, I am looking into the alpine 9886 HU which has 3 sets of preouts and was wondering how that would work with the stock subwoofer.....

Thanks.

Last edited by vball_max; 03-05-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The stock subwoofer uses a summed input of the front and rear amp signal, so it should be fine with the harness.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM

So I changed my mind and am going to get the alpine cda-9885. I was going to get it through crutchfield. The harness that they want to give me for free is the metra 70-7550. I sent them an email asking if i could get the 70-7551 instead. This is what they replied with:

Thanks for shopping the Crutchfield web site.

I will be glad to help with your question about purchasing the Alpine CDA-9885CD receiver, which you'll find on our site here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...p?i=500CDA9885

The Bose radio in your Maxima doesn't have RCA preamp outputs, and the Bose amplifier does not have RCA preamp inputs. The factory amp is actually connected via speaker-level connections. When replacing the factory radio in your Maxima, if you plan to continue using the Bose speakers and amplifier, you actually need a special OEM amplifier integration adapter, which you'll find on our site here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...sp?i=142C4NN03

In terms of the Metra 70-7551 amplifier integration adapter, our research file on your Maxima doesn't list this particular harness as being compatible in your car.

A crimp tool and crimp connectors can help make your receiver installation go more quickly - you will need to connect the wires from the new receiver securely to the wires of the custom harness we offer. We have a crimp kit available that's perfect for this job, and you can find it on our web site at the following address:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...p?i=263RCVRKIT

Are they bulls***ing me? Does the stock Bose HU really have speaker level outputs?

Any ideas what I can tell them to convince them to send me the 70-7551?

Thanks guys......you are all so much nicer than in the 5th gen forum....

Quick Reply: The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread