Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Stealth stereo system (Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Stealth stereo system (Pics!)

I like aftermarket sound, but with a clean stock look. A week ago I made the switch to satellite radio. The unit came with a bracket that attaches to an air vent. Not only do I not want to block my A/C, I don't want wires running all over my console. So...

It may not look like much at first glance,

but dig a little deeper

and voíla!

The other advantage to the clean look is that with the unit put away it gives thieves one less reason to break in. The XM radio is hard wired into the car through the blue power switch inside the compartment. When in use, it attaches to the compartment cover with velcro. This was just a temporary mount until I could fab something stronger, but it has held up remarkably well. I have had it in for about a week now and the unit hasn't interfered with shifting or fallen off once. When I was in Dallas yesterday, the rail road tracks I went over on Forest were so rough that my fuse panel cover fell off, but the XM stayed put.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 PM

I too like stealth. My flip-down door has my I-pod and 12v aux charging point in it.

Well thought out.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 AM

I like stealth too, but I don't think I'd want to have to drag out 'parts' of my system each time I got in the car, and then have to put them away before I got out each time.

Just my thoughts on your setup...
Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 AM

I cut the plastic face off of the stock radio/tape deck and hotglued all the buttons back onto it. I can remove my headunits face plate and with some velcro the fakeface will fit right over it. I don't ever leave the head unit face plate in the car so unless someone tries to fiddle with the radio they won't notice. Not to mention, its hard to identify what the radio is without the face plate so I highly doubt even if someone did discover itthat someone would go through the effort of ripping my dash apart to remove it (its screwed in, no install kit).
Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ampire
I cut the plastic face off of the stock radio/tape deck and hotglued all the buttons back onto it. I can remove my headunits face plate and with some velcro the fakeface will fit right over it. I don't ever leave the head unit face plate in the car so unless someone tries to fiddle with the radio they won't notice. Not to mention, its hard to identify what the radio is without the face plate so I highly doubt even if someone did discover itthat someone would go through the effort of ripping my dash apart to remove it (its screwed in, no install kit).
I'd love to see this idea. Is it too much of a trade secret to post a pic of your setup?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
I like stealth too, but I don't think I'd want to have to drag out 'parts' of my system each time I got in the car, and then have to put them away before I got out each time.

x2. Why not just get a radio equipted with XM?
Old 04-11-2010, 03:58 PM

I don't see it as being much different than detaching a face plate and putting it in a glove box, but to each his own. I leave the unit in place most of the time anyway.

As for buying a radio equipped with XM, I would if I needed to replace my HU, but I got this add-on XM unit for free and my five year old Sony radio still works great. The Max is the third vehicle I have installed it in.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1800bucks
I'd love to see this idea. Is it too much of a trade secret to post a pic of your setup?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Car-...adio-fake-out/

I did something like this
Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux

yupp he's right. i rather jus have everything in the dash.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Another advantage to the removable unit versus one installed in the dash is I can use it in my other vehicles without having to buy additional monthly plans. I will be going on a road trip in my truck in a few weeks and the XM unit is coming with me.