Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Wiring an amp & sub into stock bose system, not working right.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Wiring an amp & sub into stock bose system, not working right.

So I am trying to add a 760W Pioneer Amp, a 2 Farad Cap Raptor Cap, and 2 12" RF Punches. I have a stock Bose headunit in my 04 Max SE. I read that some of you guys said to splice the amp inputs into the speaker in wires at the Bose Amp in the trunk. I did this and the subs at max power barely hit. I was speaking with someone at crutchfield and they said I should wire instead to the Amp Outputs.

What kind of setup did you guys do to wire your amps to your stock system with a stock deck? I really need help with this. (Btw the amp and the cap both come on and work fine, and the remote turn on lead also works fine.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Anyone? Cmon now I know some of you guys wired your own stuff! Help me out!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM

I really need help and no one on here can help me out? Cmon!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Suspension Yoda

Read the Bose sticky. Splice in some cheap RCA's behind the HU, then make a standard RCA run to your amp.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Read the Bose sticky. Splice in some cheap RCA's behind the HU, then make a standard RCA run to your amp.
Dont see a bose sticky.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Suspension Yoda

It's not a sticky but its perpetually on the first page of this forum...

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html
Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 AM

It's not a sticky but its perpetually on the first page of this forum...

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html
And it has no information that I am looking for. Most of the info is about adding an aftermarket HU, which I am not, and is about 2003 and older Max's and mines an 04. Anyone else know?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Suspension Yoda

It has plenty of info, if you read the entire thread. I wrote most of it myself so I KNOW it has info about adding to factory bose HU. The concepts between 5th and 6th gen are the same.

You're a bit new around these parts so I'm going easy on you, but if you can't tell, the culture here is that we don't like multiple threads about the same info. Search before posting. Yes, I know the search feature isn't the greatest - but trust me, the info you need is definitely in that thread. And the wire colors you can get from the FSM, which I believe is also floating around this forum.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 AM

It has plenty of info, if you read the entire thread. I wrote most of it myself so I KNOW it has info about adding to factory bose HU. The concepts between 5th and 6th gen are the same.

You're a bit new around these parts so I'm going easy on you, but if you can't tell, the culture here is that we don't like multiple threads about the same info. Search before posting. Yes, I know the search feature isn't the greatest - but trust me, the info you need is definitely in that thread. And the wire colors you can get from the FSM, which I believe is also floating around this forum.
It actually has NO info about adding an amplifier to the factory stereo.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

BOSE headunits are designed to work with BOSE products. I am not surprised that you aren't get a lot of punch from your subs. Adding aftermarket stuff to a BOSE system usually results in a headache for yourself.

Is there any kind of option in your headunit for external subwoofer control? That would be the first thing I'd check.

Second, I don't know much about 6th gens but do you have a separate amp in the trunk for a stock BOSE sub? If so then I suggest you bypass it.

Third, are you splitting at the amp attached to each speaker or at a BOSE sub amp? BOSE speakers each have an individual amp that powers each individual speaker.

In my 4th gen I had to bypass every single BOSE amp in the car before I could get anything sounding right. But that was when I only changed the headunit and left the stock speakers. So it's different from your case. Now my entire audio is aftermarket.

Many people, including myself, would not recommend adding anything aftermarket to a BOSE system simply because BOSE designs are different than your typical audio setup. Their systems are designed to work optimally on only BOSE systems.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SwEEt_tOOtH
BOSE headunits are designed to work with BOSE products. I am not surprised that you aren't get a lot of punch from your subs. Adding aftermarket stuff to a BOSE system usually results in a headache for yourself.

Is there any kind of option in your headunit for external subwoofer control? That would be the first thing I'd check.

Second, I don't know much about 6th gens but do you have a separate amp in the trunk for a stock BOSE sub? If so then I suggest you bypass it.

Third, are you splitting at the amp attached to each speaker or at a BOSE sub amp? BOSE speakers each have an individual amp that powers each individual speaker.

In my 4th gen I had to bypass every single BOSE amp in the car before I could get anything sounding right. But that was when I only changed the headunit and left the stock speakers. So it's different from your case. Now my entire audio is aftermarket.

Many people, including myself, would not recommend adding anything aftermarket to a BOSE system simply because BOSE designs are different than your typical audio setup. Their systems are designed to work optimally on only BOSE systems.
Yea, there are no options to connect anything to my Headunit. Yes, theres an amp in the trunk, so I was splicing into the output wires in that connector.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

The 'speaker leads' coming out of the Bose HU are LINE LEVEL. Which means they're preamp signals. So go behind the head unit, tap those wires and splice in a cheap pair of female RCA's. Then make a proper/standard run or male RCA's from there to your amp. That way, when you decide to change your HU to aftermarket, your RCA's will already be run.

If you crossover your amp the right way, you don't need a separate subwoofer control.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by JMSports
Yea, there are no options to connect anything to my Headunit. Yes, theres an amp in the trunk, so I was splicing into the output wires in that connector.
You're splicing the amp output wires and running them into high-level input?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM

You're splicing the amp output wires and running them into high-level input?
Yes, i am running off the amp outputs to the high level input on my pioneer amp.

I already tried splicing into the wires behind the headunit (aka the wires coming into the bose amp) and with the volume and amp all the way up the subs barely hit.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JMSports
Yes, i am running off the amp outputs to the high level input on my pioneer amp.

I already tried splicing into the wires behind the headunit (aka the wires coming into the bose amp) and with the volume and amp all the way up the subs barely hit.
PAUSE.
You should not be running anything to the high level input of your Pioneer amp. High level input is for high frequency levels. In other words, for the speakers INSIDE your car. No wonder your subs aren't hitting hard!

You should be running your RCA cables to the the low level input of your Pioneer amp. If there's only one port for the RCA cables then look for a switch that lets you choose between low pass filter and high pass filter. It should be set at low pass filter (LPF).

Try that and then let me know how it goes Also, give me the model number of your amp so I can help you further.

Last edited by SwEEt_tOOtH; 05-09-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Suspension Yoda

Beg to differ.

High level is NOT for high frequency. It's for already amplified signals.

Completely different conversation than the crossover levels and crossover switch of which you speak.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 PM

PAUSE.
You should not be running anything to the high level input of your Pioneer amp. High level input is for high frequency levels. In other words, for the speakers INSIDE your car. No wonder your subs aren't hitting hard!

You should be running your RCA cables to the the low level input of your Pioneer amp. If there's only one port for the RCA cables then look for a switch that lets you choose between low pass filter and high pass filter. It should be set at low pass filter (LPF).

Try that and then let me know how it goes Also, give me the model number of your amp so I can help you further.

I beg to differ as well. djfrestyl's got it right.

PLAY.

JMSports, two subs, how do you have them wired? Series? Parallel? Whats the final impedance the amp is seeing from the subs? Whats the nominal impedance of the amps output? How low of impedance is the amp stable down to?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM

PAUSE.

The amp is a Pioneer GM-5300T its a 760W.

The subs were 4ohm, bridged at the amp.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:24 PM

PAUSE.

Oh, and btw, in my last car, I had no RCAs at the headunit so I ran regular 16G speaker wire from the deck to the amp and that went into the high level input. That car hit like a *****.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Suspension Yoda

Right, so you either take a post-amped signal (like after your Bose sub) and wire it to high level inputs, or you take a pre-amp signal (like coming out of your Bose HU), splice in some RCA's, and then run the RCA's into the RCA input of the amp. Either way, it should hit the same.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Right, so you either take a post-amped signal (like after your Bose sub) and wire it to high level inputs, or you take a pre-amp signal (like coming out of your Bose HU), splice in some RCA's, and then run the RCA's into the RCA input of the amp. Either way, it should hit the same.
Heres what I did: I took the outputs from the Bose Amp, put those through a line converter, and connected that with an RCA signal booster, and connected the RCAs to the low level on the amp, and the subs barely hit.

When I looped the wires around the wires inside the sub(the ones that attach directly to the cone of the sub) and ran those to the amps high level directly, the subs hit hard.

My problem is, which wires in the subwoofer connector would I splice into (because there are more then 4 wires going into each subwoofer, and the wiring diagram only shows 2 and doesnt even show wire colors for one of the subs.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM

No need for a new head unit or need for connecters or wires to hook up amp and subs to stock bose Head unit. i hooked up an Alpine amp and two subs to stock Bose head unit on my 99 Maxima. For a bit i tried a pioneer deck in but went back to the stock Bose kus it sounded better for some reason. But its simple to hook up an amp and sub to the stock head unit even though there is no RCA jacks. I hooked up the Amps B+ to the battery and the ground to a bolt in the trunk. For the REM i spliced that to the stock Bose stereo Amp on Signal Wire. Since the Bose head unit doesnt have RCA inputs, I had to modify my RCA wires. I took 1 working RCA wire and cut it half (something like this <--------I-------->). Once cut each half has an RCA side and a cut side. On the each cut side there are a 2 sets of wire which I cut and separated because one set is Positive and the other is set is negative. After this I I plug each RCA side to the amp and other end to the positive and negative of the rear speackers. RCA_SIDE<-------=Pos&Neg RCA_SIDE<-------=RCA SIDE
Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Not sure if you know this, but this is exactly what the Metra 70-7551 does.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Huh??? Does that. Make since. I have been searching and this is the closest thread to what I am trying ti do, but what you are saying does not make since to me. I am trying to tap into my Bose sub and I have a line converter that takes speaker level inputs and converts them to RCA outputs. What Color wires do I tap into on the rear sub of a 2000 Infiniti i30 to make this work. I am only looking to add a sub amp so do not care about high frequencies. Please help.... I am so tired of searching this forum for this answer with no luck.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Just to clarify. I have a stock head unit, stock speakers. I am only looking to add an amp and speaker in the trunk. I have already run a positive cable and a remote turn on. I just need to know Which wires on the back of the stock sub to tap into to run my converter. thank you
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM

You don't need a line converter. The Bose subwoofer uses it's own built in amp. It receives an unamplified line signal from the main amp. You should have 5 wires going to the sub. Green/White is your amp turn on. Red is your power. 2 black wires, one is power ground the other is signal ground. White is signal.

If you already have the new amp wired up then you just need to splice an RCA into the white and black signal wires and run it straight to your amp.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Truth. Very simple.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Am I missing something or does the factory rear sub just use the rear speakers input for a signal?

Name:  LzaV3Xk.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  36.9 KB
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Suspension Yoda

Nope that's pretty much it. Input is parallel to rear speaker input. And sub amp has an on-board crossover
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Thank you. I figured but didn't want to go hacking into it until I was sure.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 PM
ef9

Sorry to wake an old thread. But I am looking at adding a single subwoofer and amplifier to my stock Bose system in my 1996 I30.

I assume I need to follow shortdogg's write up, and wire-in 2 RCAs utilizing the line-level-input (to each rear speaker) and plug these RCAs into my new sub amp.

I am hoping by doing so, this will not burden (or reduce the sound level) of the rear Bose speakers?

Originally Posted by shortdogg
No need for a new head unit or need for connecters or wires to hook up amp and subs to stock bose Head unit. i hooked up an Alpine amp and two subs to stock Bose head unit on my 99 Maxima. For a bit i tried a pioneer deck in but went back to the stock Bose kus it sounded better for some reason. But its simple to hook up an amp and sub to the stock head unit even though there is no RCA jacks. I hooked up the Amps B+ to the battery and the ground to a bolt in the trunk. For the REM i spliced that to the stock Bose stereo Amp on Signal Wire. Since the Bose head unit doesnt have RCA inputs, I had to modify my RCA wires. I took 1 working RCA wire and cut it half (something like this <--------I-------->). Once cut each half has an RCA side and a cut side. On the each cut side there are a 2 sets of wire which I cut and separated because one set is Positive and the other is set is negative. After this I I plug each RCA side to the amp and other end to the positive and negative of the rear speackers. RCA_SIDE<-------=Pos&Neg RCA_SIDE<-------=RCA SIDE
Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Suspension Yoda

Would not be a burden or signal reduction. Should be fine.

Definitely recommend reading the massive "Bose Radio/Speaker Replacement Thread" in the audio section. Will provide a lot of background info and explanation.