Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Got a free sub and amp :D a few questions (5.5 gen)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Got a free sub and amp :D a few questions (5.5 gen)

Indeed, i happened to be talking to a guy i knew about wanting to get a sub for my 02 and when i said i was looking for a mild 10" setup he said... i have one in my trunk that isn't hooked up or anything, you want it? i was like YEAH... but then again i'm a cheap @ss... nothing special, just a 10" older xplod with a small visonik, i think, amp... anyway off my story telling

My little question i had (searched but couldn't seem to find what i was looking for) was where most people put their amp wire through in the firewall? I already figured on running the wires under the kickplates to the trunk, but i didn't know where to go through the firewall. If there's a thread and i didn't see it, i'm sorry, point me in the right way please pics would be awesome if any are available...

Thanks!

(Oh and i've never done an amp&sub install before so please bear with my complete lack of knowledge. I have my uncle, an auto body guy, helping me, but he doesn't do stereos too often so he's more of the actually running the wire kind of help)
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by 02SEMax
Indeed, i happened to be talking to a guy i knew about wanting to get a sub for my 02 and when i said i was looking for a mild 10" setup he said... i have one in my trunk that isn't hooked up or anything, you want it? i was like YEAH... but then again i'm a cheap @ss... nothing special, just a 10" older xplod with a small visonik, i think, amp... anyway off my story telling

My little question i had (searched but couldn't seem to find what i was looking for) was where most people put their amp wire through in the firewall? I already figured on running the wires under the kickplates to the trunk, but i didn't know where to go through the firewall. If there's a thread and i didn't see it, i'm sorry, point me in the right way please pics would be awesome if any are available...

Thanks!

(Oh and i've never done an amp&sub install before so please bear with my complete lack of knowledge. I have my uncle, an auto body guy, helping me, but he doesn't do stereos too often so he's more of the actually running the wire kind of help)
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...r-5th-gen.html
Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Thanks for that info, i have the basic idea of where to run everything now

I have 2 other questions though

I bought a 2 channel amp wiring kit, but i have a mono amp (visonik 300 watt) will the kit still work?

Also, i have a pioneer 4200ub head unit, and it has the sub preouts (red and white), how would i run those 2 preout slots into a single input slot on the amp?

Sorry for my total lack of knowledge here, thanks for any help
Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM

I bought a 2 channel amp wiring kit, but i have a mono amp (visonik 300 watt) will the kit still work?

Also, i have a pioneer 4200ub head unit, and it has the sub preouts (red and white), how would i run those 2 preout slots into a single input slot on the amp?

Sorry for my total lack of knowledge here, thanks for any help
your amp kit will be fine. the amp is small so you can use an 8ga kit and up.

plug the rca's in behind the radio in the sub pre out and run them on the opposite side of the power wire ran under the carpeting to the trunk into the input of the amp.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral

plug the rca's in behind the radio in the sub pre out and run them on the opposite side of the power wire ran under the carpeting to the trunk into the input of the amp.
if you dont you will get all sorts of feed back
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
Thanks for the info! If you hadn't said something, i was going to run them down the same side...

So in order to connect the 2 rcas in my stereo to the single rca on the amp would i use a y-connector? that's about the only thing i can think of
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM

yeah if your amp only has one input then you will need a dual female to male y adapter
Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 AM

yeah if your amp only has one input then you will need a dual female to male y adapter
Sweet, thanks for all the info. I think i'm good to go now ... just gotta wait for the car to get back from the body shop
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM

So I finally got around to installing this today, but the sub isn't hitting at all ... i'm kinda dumbfounded as to what went wrong... The wiring should be all correct, the amp is getting power (power light is on), but like i said, barely any sound... the only thing i can think of is that i have some smaller wire running from the amp to the sub, idk if gauge matters or not, any help/ideas?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 PM

So I finally got around to installing this today, but the sub isn't hitting at all ... i'm kinda dumbfounded as to what went wrong... The wiring should be all correct, the amp is getting power (power light is on), but like i said, barely any sound... the only thing i can think of is that i have some smaller wire running from the amp to the sub, idk if gauge matters or not, any help/ideas?

What are the settings on the H/U and the amp? Is it moving at all?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:57 PM

Switch the sub wires around that you have coming from the amp, you may have the + on - and - on +, etc.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ricksi30
What are the settings on the H/U and the amp? Is it moving at all?
Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Switch the sub wires around that you have coming from the amp, you may have the + on - and - on +, etc.

I took it to an audio shop (audio express) today and had one of their guys look at it, he said that the sub is shot... apparently it got f!cked up, he said the voice coil was broken, b/c the amp was underpowering it? or something like that what i thought was a 300w amp was actually a 200w, and on top of that the sub is pretty old... so idk what i'm gonna do from here

the sub was an older sony explod mobile es 10 if anyone wanted to know
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 PM

I took it to an audio shop (audio express) today and had one of their guys look at it, he said that the sub is shot... apparently it got f!cked up, he said the voice coil was broken, b/c the amp was underpowering it? or something like that what i thought was a 300w amp was actually a 200w, and on top of that the sub is pretty old... so idk what i'm gonna do from here

Under powering it blowing the sub? Possible but more than not likely!

I would look to replace the sub with something that is some what close to the amp wattage. There are pretty inexpensive subs out there, look on Craigslist, ebay.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

run them on the opposite side of the power wire ran
Originally Posted by luke95gxe
So, so incorrect. One of the biggest myths of 12V.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

UNDER powering ? I absolutely love when 'shops' use this diagnoses. It has never happened, ever.