Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help: Radio Reception 5th Gen Non-Bose

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Help: Radio Reception 5th Gen Non-Bose

I'm dealing with a 2001 GXE Non-Bose system here.

Since I replaced my stock HU (had it done at a shop, so no first-hand knowledge of how everything was wired), I have been battling an issue with poor radio reception. The stock HU had excellent reception and although I'm sure I'm not going to get it to receive as good as it, I think my current setup can improve. I have added a second amplified antenna (plugged into the second prong of the diversity antenna adapter) and an in-line amplifier in the original antenna. Much better, qut not quite as good as the stock HU - several stations still fade in & out a lot.

I have read all I was able to find about the stock amplified antenna, which some say is a blue wire, others say it's a green/white wire. I suspect mine is not connected to a power source. I couldn't find a harness diagram here, but I found this one:

Name:  RadioWiringDiagNonBose.jpg
Views: 20983
Size:  230.2 KB

However, this one doesn't state the color of the factory wire (for "1995 and Newer"). The aftermarket harness plug has a blue, unconncted wire labeled "antenna" on the large plug with no power on it, and there's a blue wire with a white stripe on the small plug labeled "amp cont." The latter is connected to two wires (one from the HU - "amp cont" and the other runs under the dash - no idea where to, but I'm assuming it's to a power source).

So my questions are:
1) Is the above diagram the correct one - indicating "N" is the wire for the stock antenna amp (2nd diagram, "1995 and Newer")?
- a) if so, do I connect the blue wire on the harness to the "ant cont" wire on the HU only, or connect to it and to a power source?
2) If not, does someone have the correct diagram for my car?
3) What is the color of the oem wire for the stock antenna amplifier?
3) Is the "amp cont" the correct wire for the stock antenna, meaning my setup is properly connected?

Thanks in advance with your help on this issue.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM

I've had the same issue for ever and will finally open the dash back up to fix it (and swap out some LEDs)...

It's confusing without looking at it (I'm a very visual person), but I found these posts that should answer your questions.

Here's a link for your car - 01 Non Bose

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
On your metra/scosche wiring harness, make sure the solid blue wire is hooked up to the blue/white wire coming out of the aftermarket head unit. Thats the power antenna wire, and by connecting it to remote turn on you are essentially "amplifying" the signal, in not so many words.
Originally Posted by ypl102
just to clarify: On the 03, My antenna 12V power lead coming out of the SONY HU is solid blue which gets connected to metra's blue which is connected to the factory green/white. My SONY's blue/white wire is the AMP remote turn on, not to be confused with the power antenna.
Originally Posted by djfrestyl
That is correct, but throw out the Sony HU
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...u-5th-gen.html