Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How do i go about running new antenna wire in 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM

How do i go about running new antenna wire in 4th gen?

I replaced the BOSE HU with an aftermarket, and used the appropriate antenna adapter so the Nissan connection has a good fit with aftermarket HU.

But the FM reception is not as good as before with the BOSE. I blame the adapter for loss of signal. I am thinking of running a quad shielded antenna wire, and connecting the antenna wire directly to the aftermarket HU.

Where does the factory antenna wire run inside the car?

How hard would it be to run a new antenna wire?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Suspension Yoda

The OEM antenna in your 4th gen is on the passenger side rear fender. I believe the wire goes up the C pillar, along the roof, down the A pillar.

Where are you mounting the new antenna? that would dictate how/where to run the wire, which really shouldn't be different than running any other wire.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM

The adapter in no way will affect the reception. Installing for 10+ years It's rare to find an aftermarket radio that has better reception than the functioning factory radio.

You might want to look into a signal booster that goes inline between the antenna and the radio. However, the boosters also can increase the static noise as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by GetDown
The adapter in no way will affect the reception.
I agree. To the OP - the adapter is only doing what it CAN do. Unfortunately it doesn't do what we'd like it to do. This is because the aftermarket deck can't accept what we'd like it to do.

The adapter which we use to install an aftermarket radio in the Maxima converts the OEM two-pole diversity antenna into a single pole input which the aftermarket radio can accept. The inherent issue is that aftermarket radios can't accept more than one input. The OP would like to add an antenna and using the radio antenna adapter which accepts more than one input (like the ones used by older cd changers). There should be no reason the signal doesn't increase with this method.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 PM

PAC(and other companies) make a compact antenna, that sticks to the inside of your windshield or can be put in the A-pillar, or under the dash even, depending on where it works best for you. It's a black rectangle about 4 inches by .5 inches with sticky tape on one side. It's easy to plug straight into your aftermarket radio and have the wire running through the dash, up the A-pillar to the corner of your windshield(usually the best spot for reception). Just an option.