Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Weak Subwoofer Signal with Bose System

Old 01-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Weak Subwoofer Signal with Bose System

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site and have a few questions to ask about a Subwoofer I'm trying to install in my 2000 Maxima with the Bose System.

I am trying to put in a Kicker Comp S 12'' Sub and a Kicker DX250.1 Amp into my 2000 Maxima. I have the Bose system and, unfortunately (Because college is expensive and decisions were made), still have the Bose HU. The Bose Subwoofer is also connected, but I do not have any sound coming from it.

I bought the car used from a dealer, so I have no idea who had it before me, but whoever it was must have had a Sub already installed, because once I started to install it, I found all the wiring I needed to do it.

Upon inspection, it appears that the power comes from the battery (no surprises there), but the sound, (perhaps?), comes through the Bose Sub. Everything seemed to be hooked up correctly, but I didn't appear to be getting anything. So I took it to a friend who tends to know much more about this than I do.

He was equally confused as I was, but we found that I had both power and sound, but the sound is incredibly weak.

He suggested simply getting a new headunit. So,
Question 1: Could simply getting a new headunit give me audible sound from the Subwoofer?

Question 2: Can an aftermarket headunit be connected to the Bose system which comes stock in the car? I know that Bose can be a pain, so I want to make sure that I can use a new Stereo and not waste my money.

Edit: I also tested the amp, the Sub, and the amp + sub together using my friend's system and everything appeared to work.

Last edited by towleb; 01-03-2015 at 09:05 AM.