Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Wacky electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wacky electrical problem

I'm a proud new owner of a 95 Maxima. The car has a few strange electrical issues currently. I was hoping maybe one of you guys have come across one of them before and may have some advice for me.

1. The backlight for the climate control only works when the lights are off.

2. The backlight for the BOSE stereo never works, and only the radio is operational. It appears the rear speakers are disconnected.

3. The brake light in the spoiler works intermittently.

4. The license plate lights work intermittently.

1 and 2 are annoying, 3 and 4 are stopping me from being able to register the vehicle in my province.

I'm going to check all the fuses and clean the harnesses this afternoon, and hopefully it's something simple like that, but the problems being everywhere have me wondering whether its something much more sinister.

Thanks for any ideas in advance, and I look forward to contributing to the community.

D
Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well...

I cleaned all the harnesses in the back. Ta da! 11.47v at the connector to the license plate lights. Plugged lights back in, nothing. Lights must be burnt out. Went to remove the bulb covers and the screws are rusted out. Went to remove the bracket that holds the bulbs, the bracket basically disintegrates. Awesome.