Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2014 Base custom Head Unit and GPS

Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2014 Base custom Head Unit and GPS

After about a year owning the car finally got the setup generally how I like it. I like the car but the factory stereo and lack of GPS bothered me.

Had a double DIN NEX4100 unit at first and no temp readout at all, but just replaced with a cheapie Pioneer from Walmart and mounted temp readout. Wanted physical volume **** and didn't like the slow large display, and the temp readout for the wife (who cares it's on Auto all the time anyway).

GPS is Garmin nuvi 2797 mounted in original bracket that held radio and temp readout. Everything mounts solid and factory brackets are nicely adaptable IF you have the right tools. The GPS works great! Turns on and off with the car, is loud enough to hear directions, great reception, good maps. Attach USB cable and wire to glovebox for easy updating.

Pretty easy to do overall and doesn't look too bad imho. Running three RCA pairs to trunk, 4ch amp in trunk, new speaker wiring to all 8 locations. Factory system basically bypassed completely. Cheap kicker speakers all around and some cheap woofers in rear deck. Had 3k farad capacitor, RF Punch amp, and a nice sub but was too heavy and took too much space. Replaced with the Tang Band 6x9 woofers wired to rear channel on amp in series with rear door speakers. Works well enough for me, doesn't take too much space. Easily upgradable to a very nice system as well should I choose to go for it. Steering wheel controls all work and I phone calling works pretty well. I don't know where the factory mic is but I mounted the Pioneer one facing the driver seat on the bottom of the dash (you can sort of see it right by the transmission lever) and it works pretty good.

Downsides: you lose the noise canceling system when you rip out the factory rear deck speakers, amp, and head unit. This translates to a noticeably increased exhaust drone on the highway. It may be possible to wire this in somehow, but I didn't care enough to look into it. I did notice the increased noise, however, but learned to live with it.

Would be happy to answer any questions. I ripped out the entire interior to rewire the car, and have since taken most of the interior down and back up multiple times. I feel almost any 7" screen device can be quite easily mounted in place of the factory screen.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Base custom Head Unit and GPS-img_0399.jpg   2014 Base custom Head Unit and GPS-img_0400.jpg  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ddagunts
After about a year owning the car finally got the setup generally how I like it. I like the car but the factory stereo and lack of GPS bothered me.

Had a double DIN NEX4100 unit at first and no temp readout at all, but just replaced with a cheapie Pioneer from Walmart and mounted temp readout. Wanted physical volume **** and didn't like the slow large display, and the temp readout for the wife (who cares it's on Auto all the time anyway).

GPS is Garmin nuvi 2797 mounted in original bracket that held radio and temp readout. Everything mounts solid and factory brackets are nicely adaptable IF you have the right tools. The GPS works great! Turns on and off with the car, is loud enough to hear directions, great reception, good maps. Attach USB cable and wire to glovebox for easy updating.

Pretty easy to do overall and doesn't look too bad imho. Running three RCA pairs to trunk, 4ch amp in trunk, new speaker wiring to all 8 locations. Factory system basically bypassed completely. Cheap kicker speakers all around and some cheap woofers in rear deck. Had 3k farad capacitor, RF Punch amp, and a nice sub but was too heavy and took too much space. Replaced with the Tang Band 6x9 woofers wired to rear channel on amp in series with rear door speakers. Works well enough for me, doesn't take too much space. Easily upgradable to a very nice system as well should I choose to go for it. Steering wheel controls all work and I phone calling works pretty well. I don't know where the factory mic is but I mounted the Pioneer one facing the driver seat on the bottom of the dash (you can sort of see it right by the transmission lever) and it works pretty good.

Downsides: you lose the noise canceling system when you rip out the factory rear deck speakers, amp, and head unit. This translates to a noticeably increased exhaust drone on the highway. It may be possible to wire this in somehow, but I didn't care enough to look into it. I did notice the increased noise, however, but learned to live with it.

Would be happy to answer any questions. I ripped out the entire interior to rewire the car, and have since taken most of the interior down and back up multiple times. I feel almost any 7" screen device can be quite easily mounted in place of the factory screen.
Do you have any more pictures of the installation process?

Search this Thread